• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
1Up is the only gaming site to me. Some of the rest are okay, I like IGN's reviews for better or for worse and Gamestop is a well maintained site. I just don't feel that they're as personalized or as unique and outspoken as the 1Up crew are. Watching the 1Up Show was always one of the better parts of my Fridays (not because I don't have a social life, but because they're so good) and I really felt that the overall crew carried a lot of charm around and everyone was always really nice and funny.

I'll be watching what the crew does, either as a group or individually, because I think they have the best outlook and knowledge on and of the industry IMO. It sucks, but at the same time I'm hoping for them to be a part of something just as cool, or maybe even better in the future.

KaosAngel

Banned
I really don't want to sound sexist right now, but I'm more pissed that Tina is working. EVERYTIME I listen to 1up FM, I turn it off the second she gets on and call it quits. I also remember in an older podcast she has family that got her into this business or something like that.

Man, I know the stereotype is nerds are little horny kids...but most of us are adults and have a wife/girlfriends. I hope that the new 1up goes out of business so the businessmen upstairs know just how bad their mistakes were.

Damn, why does Tina keep her job and Duke Nukem Forever still isn't out?!

voltron

Ive said it before and Ill say it again ('cause Im sad:()

Whoever it was that made the decision to push forward with the 1up brand WITHOUT 1upyours + 1upshow ARE SOME OF THE DUMBEST FUCKS IN THIS INDUSTRY.

I cant wait 'til you fail.

NMan

KaosAngel said:
I really don't want to sound sexist right now, but I'm more pissed that Tina is working. EVERYTIME I listen to 1up FM, I turn it off the second she gets on and call it quits. I also remember in an older podcast she has family that got her into this business or something like that.

Man, I know the stereotype is nerds are little horny kids...but most of us are adults and have a wife/girlfriends. I hope that the new 1up goes out of business so the businessmen upstairs know just how bad their mistakes were.

Dude, you have some real problems. Tina is a community manager which is very important for this type of transition.

daycru

KaosAngel said:

I didn't think she was good on podcasts or very knowledgeable about games but that wasn't really her job. She's the community manager and from all accounts I've read she's very good at it.

KaosAngel

Banned
NMan said:
Dude, you have some real problems. Tina is a community manager which is very important for this type of transition.

It has no affect if the people already decide to jump ship with the captain(s). You can have the best person to head community...but if the people love the staff and stay for the staff...and said staff is fired...in one day...people will leave.

Do you know how many people left GameSpot Forums after that fiasco last year? Granted a good chunk of them went to Giant Bomb...but I have a feeling a good chunk of 1up people will go to wherever the 1up crew goes.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Still hard to believe, been up all night checking the updates in this thread, I've been listening to a few of the old shows I have on my shuffle, I know this sounds sad and probably the alcohol helped, but I really did become a bit teary-eyed a few times while listening :-(, the times I remember laughing out loud with these guys, they had such good distinctive personalities, such rare genuine, enthusiastic, and passionate gaming journalism, they also did such a good job at placing 'us' the listener right at the table along side them, almost as if you were part of the group, you guys are really going to be missed.

Tieno said:
20per1t.jpg

Yikes.

Timbuktu

Sad news indeed. Tough times for a lot of people. I always knew that at some point in life 1upyours will have to stop being part of my weekly routine listening to 1upyours going for a run or driving from London to Cambridge, but didn't picture happening like this. Listening to the Christmas podcasts again would probably make me cry.

I'll definitely listen again if the guys can get together in some capacity. Thanks for good times guys. It was a very good run.

zaidr

KaosAngel said:

1) It looks like people got fired based on their job descriptions and not their web notoriety.

2) You must be one pathetic lowlife assbag to be tearing on a member that wasn't laid off while her friends all got sacked. You think she isn't torn up about it? Anyone would be. To be coming on here and singling her out, while there are countless others who you don't know that were not on radio/video shows that still are hanging on to their jobs at 1UP, but never attained the notoriety that Tina has because they never made it on the podcasts, makes me think you're the one more immature and sexist than anyone you're pointing vague fingers at.

NMan

KaosAngel said:
It has no affect if the people already decide to jump ship with the captain(s). You can have the best person to head community...but if the people love the staff and stay for the staff...and said staff is fired...in one day...people will leave.

Do you know how many people left GameSpot Forums after that fiasco last year? Granted a good chunk of them went to Giant Bomb...but I have a feeling a good chunk of 1up people will go to wherever the 1up crew goes.
Yeah I'm sure 1up will lose some viewers. But they'll probably gain some new ones from the UGO side of things and Tina will have to do a good job getting that content out to everyone and interacting with them. You guys may not have liked her on the podcasts, but she did her job as a community manager pretty darn well.

zaidr said:
2) You must be one pathetic lowlife assbag to be tearing on a member that wasn't laid off while her friends all got sacked. You think she isn't torn up about it? Anyone would be. To be coming on here and singling her out, while there are countless others who you don't know that were not on radio/video shows that still are hanging on to their jobs at 1UP, but never attained the notoriety that Tina has because they never made it on the podcasts, makes me think you're the one more immature and sexist than anyone you're pointing vague fingers at.
Exactly. Looking at the latest tweet Tina put up says it all: "I miss my friends. I love them all so much. " You need to get a life and gain some perspective.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
twinturbo2 said:
I never knew this, now I have another reason to hate Canada... America's Hat...

Likewise, to us, America is Canada's Mexico

Nevertheless, this is sad news and I hope all involved manage to find a comfortable place for themselves.

Tieno

I'm downloading that torrent with all the Brodeo podcasts while it's still hot, is there a similar torrent for all the 1upy podcasts?

NeoJobe

K.Jack said:
It gets worse every time I read it. Like, you choose ToeJam and Earl? Really?

It is not just that, it is the fact that there are human beings losing their jobs over this. I mean it isn't exactly the Palestinian/Israeli conflict, but I mean c'mon UGO show some tact.

zaidr

Tieno said:
I'm downloading that torrent with all the Brodeo podcasts while it's still hot, is there a similar torrent for all the 1upy podcasts?

Can you post the link again. I'd like to contribute.

JavaMava

Is the last issue of EGM on shelves already? I started at issue #106 or so. I may not have grabbed every issue these last few years, but it's horrible to see this huge part of my childhood going away. After so many people leaving in the last 2 years, seeing GFW radio and magazine go away... it was hard but I still rooted for em. I was sure 1up was going to pull through. They were so unarguably the best site around, way ahead of anything every other site was doing in terms of quality.

I don't think I'll bother finding a new site. I don't want to spend another 5-10 years learning editors personalities, opinions, and tastes to get that something extra; special out of their reviews.

I need to go buy that last issue when it's out.

NeoJobe

JavaMava said:
Is the last issue of EGM on shelves already? I started at issue #106 or so. I may not have grabbed every issue these last few years, but it's horrible to see this huge part of my childhood going away. After so many people leaving in the last 2 years, seeing GFW radio and magazine go away... it was hard but I still rooted for em. I was sure 1up was going to pull through. They were so unarguably the best site around, way ahead of anything every other site was doing in terms of quality.

I don't think I'll bother finding a new site. I don't want to spend another 5-10 years learning editors personalities, opinions, and tastes to get that something extra; special out of their reviews.

I need to go buy that last issue when it's out.

And preserve it in a sleeve for posterity's sake.

Mromson

Christ I'm so sad now. Hopefully something good will come out of this - granted 1UP is lost, but maybe some new and even better pops up sometime in the future as a result of this...

The 2nd Runner said:
Something tells me UGO is going to rue this acquisition. 1up and EGM were great because of their staff, not their branding. The massive void in talent is most surely going to be noticed.

What sadens me is that the great gamespot exudes did not hurt their page views

KaosAngel

Banned
zaidr said:

Dude, I gotta fire people almost every fiscal year for the people I work for. I've been fired as well in a country in which I'm not a citizen of and risked being sent back to the States for validating my working visa (had no job). I've been in situations when my friends got fired from the same company I'm at. They made it out alright. Some went back to the States while others stuck around here and got picked up.

All of them made it out. The thing is, I have to deal with this kind of stuff a lot. People need to feed their loved ones, I understand that. The fact is, almost all of the people fired at 1up will find decent places to work at based on personality alone. Giant Bomb did perfectly well, and it was just 4 guys. These ex-1up can pull an ace too.

Seth C

I'm really sorry to hear this, and best wishes go out to all who lost their jobs. Personally I am heartbroken to see EGM go. Aside from a break of a few months around 2000, I've been a subscriber since about 1993. I'm only missing about 30 issues from the entire run.

Gowans

Woke up and read this thread, gutted to hear the news as 1up to me was more about the personalities, podcasts & 1up show than anything else.

Since they started producing the content I have subscribed, watched and listened. For me it was my favourite content about games and the first thing I would listen to.

Over the years they have been with me on my travels, keeping me upto date on my hobby and I have formed understandings and attachments to the personalities through this medium and then been interested in checking out their written work & following them as individuals too. Also 1up had a great vibe from its people, the people they hired seemed to all have the same mindset, attitude and love games that made the 1up culture continue as older people left and the new guys stepped up.

That's what made 1up for me and it's all gone at the hands of this merger.

A very sad day for me but I can't imagine the feelings of these guys who have lost their jobs. I hope they all keep in the field and I'll sure we'll see some PlayerOne style podcasts from the guys (tho a GiantBomb type comeback would be great).

From now I will be on the look out, hoping to keep track of all the guys and will cross my fingers for the new 1up and the guys who have stayed (sure this thread will collect all their twitters, blogs etc.) but as I said it sounds like the 1up I have loved is gone.

Tho never meeting I will miss you guys.

As or now guess its GiantBomb and Eurogamer for my trusted Reviews & Previews.

RobbieNick

Fuck! Shit! Fuck! Fuck! FUUUUUUCCCK!!! I am nearly in tears.

This is one of the darkest days in video game journalistic history. One of the last bastions of journalists who actually had integrity and were not a bunch of snarky-ass sellouts is gone. Now, I will never survive another Saturday work day listening to 1UP yours, or watching the 1UP show on my iPod. These men were not only interesting to listen to, they took gaming more seriously than any other gaming media outlet I've ever known.

And EGM... EGM!! My favorite magazine of all time, soon to be dead! I've read it since the very first issue with Mega Man 2 on the cover. Now sucked up and spit out by some stupid fucking corporation. Now what am I stuck with? Game(Stop) Informer? GamePro? ARRRGH!!

Now who can I listen to or read that still has some fucking integrity? Giant Bomb is all I can think of. (Also, I hope quite a few of the 1UP yours cast ends up there.) I hear Edge magazine is real good. I may pony up the dough for that.

If Sony was smart, they'd hire Shane and make him the face of PlayStation like what Major Nelson is to X-Box.

Giant Bomb, if you're listening, please help bring the 1UP team back together for a final show on your site........Please?

Phew, finally got caught up. This thread is updating as fast as a douchebag twitterer.

Hey now.

Like Milky said, I don't think it's fair to put the blame Sam. He's stuck in a difficult position between seeing his friends get laid off in one of the most asinine guerrilla corporate attacks, and performing his duty as the head of 1UP. I cannot imagine Sam writing his recent 1UP blog post without gritting his teeth. At least he addressed the situation, but imagine if he didn't say anything (oh hai Gamespot during Gertsmann-gate). Does anyone feel like what Sam posted really delineates how he feels right now? Or is he pressured to somehow ease the blow of the news? Little of column A, little of column B

And come to think of it, is it that great for the people who got to stay? Aside from the survivor's guilt, transition will be awkward and just fucking difficult. 1UP was always a place that encouraged their employees try out new ideas (hence the birth of 1UP Show, the new column blog, podcasts, 1UP cover stories, Broken Pixels). If UGO already got rid of a large percentage of the staff, will they be kindly open to new and creative ways to deliver content?

This sucks giant wyvern balls for everyone.

And seriously, ripping a new one from the people who got to stay isn't really helping. For companies like Hearst, it's never personal, all they see are positions and salaries. So arguing who was worthy enough to stay or go just isn't the matter at all.

Still, dick move.

KaosAngel

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I just visited GiantBomb for the first time, and I like the cut of its jib. It can never replace 1up but it'll do.

Giant Bomb is 100% community based. Just the 4 guys and a few mods. I enjoy it a lot, and it eased the pain of the GameSpot troubles. Their podcast isn't for everyone but I felt happy when they got the Potions I gave them and tried them on the podcast.

They have a warm feeling of making you feel welcomed and I have a lot of respect for them.

OniShiro

Banned
I'll really miss the "1up yours" and "Lan party" podcasts.

Anyway, best of luck to all former employees of 1up, and thanks for all the good times they have provided us.

Slizeezyc

This is a huge bummer, but good on some users rounding up all the podcasts so they aren't lost. At least if the podcasts all get archived it will be something to remember the sites/magazines by.

Most of the people let go are too talented not to land on their feet soon enough.

Mohonky

I absolutely loathe 1up; the campy videos and podcasts, the pathetic reviews etc. but I do feel sorry for the peeps involved losing their jobs. What a shitty turn of events.

Thomper

FINALLY! First bit of good news tonight from Nick Suttner's Twitter:
first episode of Rebel FM airs tomorrow.
http://twitter.com/nsuttner

It's great to see them continuing, in whatever form it may be. I don't care if it's just a few of you guys rambling in front of a microphone every week, I'd still tune in. Nick and Philip have great chemistry, and people like Anthony Gallegos should always have an outlet. The game industry needs outspoken people, and I hope that by continuing your podcasting, we'll still have the (former-)1UP editors talking about whatever they feel like talking about.

Hammer24

Banned
What horrible news to wake up to. I feel for everyone who lost his job.
Thanks for your commitment the last couple of years!

zaidr

Tieno said:
Thanks, downloading now.

KaosAngel said:
Dude, I gotta fire people almost every fiscal year for the people I work for. I've been fired as well in a country in which I'm not a citizen of and risked being sent back to the States for validating my working visa (had no job). I've been in situations when my friends got fired from the same company I'm at. They made it out alright. Some went back to the States while others stuck around here and got picked up.

All of them made it out. The thing is, I have to deal with this kind of stuff a lot. People need to feed their loved ones, I understand that. The fact is, almost all of the people fired at 1up will find decent places to work at based on personality alone. Giant Bomb did perfectly well, and it was just 4 guys. These ex-1up can pull an ace too.

Oh, I don't doubt that the newly axed 1UP people will all fall on their feet. They are a talented bunch, and if they get together and create another independent site, I'd be stoked.

But my impression of your previous post was that you didn't like Tina on the podcasts, and so thought she was kept on to the appease the 12 year olds who thought it was fascinating to hear a girl talk about games, and that just not fair.

Anyway, everyone's emotions are on a bit of an edge tonight / this morning because its pretty much the passing of an era here for a lot of people, so I just think its prudent to just keep a level head when you find yourself jumping to conclusions about who's left / who's gone, and why.

Billen

Banned
Sad news. Never read the magazines, but I followed their shows and loved them.

Hopefully we will get to see other work from everyone involved. The dynamic of the group, however, is sadly gone. Then again there is a possibility for other sites/magazines being improved due to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom