• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexterslu

"Media business website paidcontent.org posted a story this morning with the headline "Ziff Davis sells 1UP digital network to Hearst, shutters EGM" but has since removed the piece from its website. The original content of the text is still visible using an RSS reader, and it stated,
Looking to conserve its resources for its PC Mag Digital business, Ziff Davis Media has sold off the 1UP Digital Network, its collection of video game sites, to Hearst Corp., which will fold it into the UGO Entertainment division, the companies said. In conjunction with the sale, the related print mag Electronic Gaming Monthly will publish its last issue this month. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Since finishing up its Chapter 11 proceedings last summer, Ziff Davis has sought to devote more energy to building up the PC Mag online network. Before this, Ziff Davis' biggest step in the streamlining process involved the shuttering of PC Mag as a print product in November. As for Hearst's UGO, the addition of 1UP's sites is designed to further consolidate its efforts to build up content for gamers since Hearst bought the 11-year-old male-centric entertainment company in July 2007.

We tried to reach representatives from Ziff Davis for an official comment, but none was forthcoming. We'll continue to do some digging, and find out what might be going on - and whether the paidcontent story is, in fact, true.

Update: Sources have indicated that details will be forthcoming as to the validity of the story by tomorrow morning."

-Whattheyplay.com

---------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

1up employees laid off or otherwise gone (incomplete):

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

Edit #2:

Sam Kennedy addresses the situation:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14274125&postcount=2629

GhaleonEB

Update: Sources have indicated that details will be forthcoming as to the validity of the story by tomorrow morning.​
That....doesn't sound good. Sorry to hear this guys. :(

Edit: Benjamin!

Barrett2

Sad, but likely true. This UGO buyout rumor has been around for the last month or so. I hope you guys like tits & bros, because I have a feeling thats the direction 1UP will be headed.

*Pours out 40 for EGM*

TJ Spyke

_leech_ said:
Hearst? Who? AND SHANE BETTER NOT GET FIRED.

A huge media company. Some of the magazines/newspapers they publish:

* Cosmopolitan
* Country Living
* Esquire
* Good Housekeeping
* Harper's Bazaar
* O, The Oprah Magazine
* Popular Mechanics
* Redbook
* Seventeen
* SmartMoney (with Dow Jones)
* Teen

# Albany Times Union
# Beaumont Enterprise
# Connecticut Post
# Edwardsville Intelligencer
# Greenwich Time
# Houston Chronicle
# Huron Daily Tribune
# Laredo Morning Times
# Midland Daily News (Michigan)
# Midland Reporter-Telegram (Texas)
# The News-Times
# The Advocate (Stamford)
# Plainview Daily Herald
# San Antonio Express-News
# San Francisco Chronicle
# Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Plus, they own 33% of A&E (with Disney and GE), 20% of ESPN (with Disney), 50% of Lifetime (with Disney) and the website UGO.

theultimo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

darth_vader_nooo178.jpeg

AppleBlade

Why does it seem EGM is more popular then Gamepro and yet it looks like Gamepro is going to outlive EGM. Game Informer is definitely going to be around but we all know that's because they're owned by Gamestop.

MotherFan

I hope no one loses their job. That is always tough. I think this was written on the wall, with the ease of internet info, and how good gamers are at getting it, I think print gaming mags are dying off. Plus, I think gaming journalists need to be less biased and have more of a real background in journalism. I don't think most of them understand anything but what they like to play.

dexterslu

lawblob said:
Sad, but likely true. This UGO buyout rumor has been around for the last month or so. I hope you guys like tits & bros, because I have a feeling thats the direction 1UP will be headed.

*Pours out 40 for EGM*
wait what? 1up LIVES!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
TJ Spyke said:
A huge media company. Some of the magazines/newspapers they publish:

* Cosmopolitan
* Country Living
* Esquire
* Good Housekeeping
* Harper's Bazaar
* O, The Oprah Magazine
* Popular Mechanics
* Redbook
* Seventeen
* SmartMoney (with Dow Jones)
* Teen

# Albany Times Union
# Beaumont Enterprise
# Connecticut Post
# Edwardsville Intelligencer
# Greenwich Time
# Houston Chronicle
# Huron Daily Tribune
# Laredo Morning Times
# Midland Daily News (Michigan)
# Midland Reporter-Telegram (Texas)
# The News-Times
# The Advocate (Stamford)
# Plainview Daily Herald
# San Antonio Express-News
# San Francisco Chronicle
# Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Plus, they own 33% of A&E (with Disney and GE), 20% of ESPN (with Disney), 50% of Lifetime (with Disney) and the website UGO.

they dont seem to have a reputable gaming mag under their belt....hmmmm

lawblob said:
So does this mean tonight's SF4 live-stream will just be of people looting the office?

that would be awesome :lol

Barrett2

This really is sad. I have fond memories of seriously sitting in my junior high reading the Bubsy 1993 issue. So many EGM memories. :(

Barrett2

Rapping Granny said:
So 1up is dead as well?

No. I assume they will just have different owners. 1UP will probably change in some ways, but it will likely keep the same URL, branding, etc. Hearst owns tons of media; they all retain their own identity, but Hearst will bring in new management to change certain things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom