• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up: The Last Guardian will likely be at TGS 2010

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179936

Good news for those looking forward to The Last Guardian - Sony has hinted to us that the game will likely be shown at Tokyo Game Show later this year.

When asked about the lack of an announcement during an interview minutes ago, Sony's Ron Eagle noted that there are "more events on the calendar than just E3" this year. "Read into that what you will."

The Last Guardian is the next game from the Sony Computer Entertainment development team headed by Fumito Ueda that was responsible for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Its lack of appearance at Sony's press conference was one of the biggest complaints among 1UP's staff and readers.

For the sake of clarification, the full transcript of the Last Guardian-specific section of our upcoming interview with two of Sony's product guys is below.

Frank Cifaldi: I've got to ask - where the hell is The Last Guardian?

Scott Rohde: The best way I can answer that is something that Sony does -- and we're very proud of this -- is that we're going to ship a game when we feel it's ready. When it's fully baked and when it's ready. And with everything else that we're showing at this show, we announced a million different things at this show, we just didn't feel that the timing was right to show that product at this show. We're going to show it when it's ready, and when we think that it's worthy to show based on everything else that that developer has done.

FC: When you say 'When the timing is right,' is that in terms of the other announcements around it, or in terms of the game's development?

SR: It's a little of both, but basically we want to make a big splash when we announce that title, and we didn't feel that the timing was right to do it.

FC: So that's going to be a big initiative? Is the game going to be a major focus of your marketing initiatives, is it a key title?

SR: Absolutely. That's Ron's [Eagle, also in the room] department here. I think that we're always going to make a big splash when we announce a big Blu-Ray title, and certainly there's been a ton of anticipation about that. We've announced it before, we've shown it before, we want to do it right.

Ron Eagle: And there's more dates on the calendar than just E3. More events. Read into that what you will. There's nothing official that we can tell you other than The Last Guardian continues in production and we can't wait to show you what Ueda-San has been up to. The game looks fantastic.

FC: So development's going smoothly then? No problems, nothing our readers should worry about?

RE: It's strategic. Let's put it that way.

I searched, so sorry if old.

Salaadin

brandonh83 said:
They still could have prepared a new video, even something brief to acknowledge its existence, those prudent dicks
:lol Agreed.

But why is the assumption TGS? Isnt Gamescom before in August or something? I bet those Germans love Team Ico!

Speevy

Banned
Of course it's not going to be released until 2012 or something, but we could have seen a few screens at least.

matmanx1

2011'ed? I am fearing that it's not going to hit this year. Sony sounds like it might want to hold on to Last Guardian and maybe give it it's own release month next year like it did with Infamous last year (May, if I remember right). Otherwise you run the risk of it getting lost in the holiday shuffle. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into his comments!

we announced a million different things at this show

Or as how I interpreted, games already revealed and nothing really new except for Move.

Seriously, the only reason why I'm holding onto my PS3 is because Last Guardian, Agent, and Journey. I'm also excited about Limbo and Rayman, too.

Loudninja

brandonh83 said:
They still could have prepared a new video, even something brief to acknowledge its existence, those prudent dicks
They don't want to show it off yet at all until they ready to show it.

Loudninja said:
They don't want to show it off yet at all until they ready to show it.

they were sure ready to show it a year ago

I have a feeling that they may have made some progress on it by now

Woffls

I get the feeling this game might not hit shelves until late 2011. Awful shame because it would have topped off this year quite nicely, but a 2010 release is incredibly optimistic.

Scott Rohde said:
showing show show show show show show.
:/

ultron87 said:
It better god damn be there. And then released immediately afterwards. Please?
If your expecting to have the last Guardian in your hands before late 2011 your setting yourself up for disappointment.

Ueda himself said he wasn't sure if the title would show up at E3.

Anyone thinking Sony would show a major 2011 Japanese title at E3 and not TGS was setting themselves up for disappointment.

BeeDog

I personally don't mind this at all, since they still had a ton of games to show off relevant to my interests. The game will, as has been said countless times already, most likely headline gamescon or TGS. Probably together with a Team ICO Collection or something (if it even exists).

Varion

Nice they actually bothered to answer the question. As a fan of 'announce a game, release it 3 months later' I'm not really going to complain too much, but it was a shame not to see it there now the cat's out the bag.

Salaadin

Pai Pai Master said:
Ueda himself said he wasn't sure if the title would show up at E3.

Anyone thinking Sony would show a major 2011 Japanese title at E3 and not TGS was setting themselves up for disappointment.

The first ever public trailer for TLG was shown at E3 last year. The idea of it being there this year wasnt that farfetched.

Kinyou said:
Yeah, f*ck them for making awesome games :lol

I'm just bitter that my most anticipated PS3 game failed to make an appearance at the E3 after the E3 it was announced at. Or was it announced during TGS 2009? Either way, it's been a while.

Scott Rohde said:
The best way I can answer that is something that Sony does -- and we're very proud of this -- is that we're going to ship a game when we feel it's ready. When it's fully baked and when it's ready.
I guess Resistance 2 doesn't count because it wasn't first-party.

man at least toss us Team ICO Collection HD, because we know we're not gonna see this game on shelves forever.

badcrumble said:
I guess Resistance 2 doesn't count because it wasn't first-party.

bu-zing!

jorma

is now taking requests
"we're not showing it at e3 because we want to make a big splash when we show it"

yeah sure. i believe this.

March 2012!

commissar

BruceLeeRoy said:
If your expecting to have the last Guardian in your hands before late 2011 your setting yourself up for disappointment.
Hmmm am I the only one reading too much into this then? Sounds like the game is pretty far along.
1Up said:
FC: So development's going smoothly then? No problems, nothing our readers should worry about?

RE: It's strategic. Let's put it that way.

Jb

So besides TLG at TGS, do you guys think they'll have anything to announce durings Gamescom? iirc this is where they reveiled the ps3 slim last year.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure there are some fantastic uses of Playstation Move on the horizon, but I hope that somehow this game doesn't use it at all.

Strike

Good. Maybe we'll get a Team ICO Collection annoucement as well. What the hell is the rest of SCEJ doing anyway?

Varion

brandonh83 said:
I'm just bitter that my most anticipated PS3 game failed to make an appearance at the E3 after the E3 it was announced at. Or was it announced during TGS 2009? Either way, it's been a while.
It was E3 09 for sure, with a slightly altered trailer at TGS if I remember rightly.

I guess at this point we won't see it again until it's (relatively) close to release and they can show off more than just a teaser trailer.

Top Bottom