• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UPs GTA IV Pre-Review (previous rumors of 360 version 'issues' true...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

skip said:
I'm sure they weren't representative of the entire company/dev team, and seriously, as we were doing A/B comparisons on the same TV, we got both versions mixed up. it's not a big deal.
You're a good writer Skip, but I wouldn't apply for a diplomat vacancy any time soon... ;D

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I remember GAF when DMC4 came out, i wonder how the forums will look when people start comparing both versions.... oh man...

skip

gofreak said:
skip - do you know if there's any sixaxis-y stuff in there, if it's any good, and if it's optional? I've been curious since I saw the boxart with the sixaxis icon, although maybe that's on all ps3 games regardless.

Also, anything about optional installs?

optional sixaxis controls for bike, chopper and boat. chopper takes a little practice, but it's pretty good.

~5 minute mandatory install.

DenogginizerOS said:
Sounds like Dark10X has a job. :lol

Oh please keep him out of the official thread. He provides a service but he also brings shit storms. He needs his own GTA IV multiplatform comparison thread. Keep the 25 page discussion about ultra zoomed in texture comparisons there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FlyinJ said:
Another fantastic job by

Logo.JPG
:lol

dork

Banned
skip said:
optional sixaxis controls for bike, chopper and boat. chopper takes a little practice, but it's pretty good.

uh oh, i thought it was like 3mb big lol

Doc Evils

skip said:
the one thing I'll clarify is that my original preview text didn't specify a controller/system -- not sure why that got added in editing. we reviewed primarily on the 360, with spending some brief time with the PS3 version to compare. the rockstar guys told us they think that the PS3 looks slightly better, but it really was hard to tell.

we were too busy having fun trying to run tanker trucks into gas stations.

neo gaf assplode.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
plagiarize said:
as if he wouldn't have done comparisons anyway :)
I know. But the image of him staying up through the night scanning every fine detail of the GTA universe for a slight difference just makes me chuckle. The way I see it, GTAIV sounds like it has improved its already stellar gameplay and I will avoid all discussions about which version looks better.

dork said:
So yes do gas stations splode?
they did in San Andreas, so I think they are keeping it. I was wondering if the gas tankers explode. In previous games they have the same explosions and other vehicles. its would be great to see a massive BOOM from a tanker.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SuperCat said:
Rockstar have said the PS3 version is 25% faster and lighter than the 360 version which suffers from slowdown and heavyness. Down to the way the plastic is moulded, apparently.
Ahaha.

skip

BobTheFork said:
they did in San Andreas, so I think they are keeping it. I was wondering if the gas tankers explode. In previous games they have the same explosions and other vehicles. its would be great to see a massive BOOM from a tanker.

the tankers didn't, sadly. just the pumps.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
skip said:

Thank you! I guess the controls will be interesting to play with.

Mandatory install on both systems? Any idea how much HDD space it takes?

skip said:
the one thing I'll clarify is that my original preview text didn't specify a controller/system -- not sure why that got added in editing. we reviewed primarily on the 360, with spending some brief time with the PS3 version to compare. the rockstar guys told us they think that the PS3 looks slightly better , but it really was hard to tell.

we were too busy having fun trying to run tanker trucks into gas stations.
Oh shit! MEGATON! Thanks Skip.
:p

AZ Greg

As much as it will hurt the quality of these boards, I truly hope we know which version is superior before launch. I have both consoles and don't want to have to pick up the game a few days after launch so I can read everyones opinion and truly find out which version is better. Even if it is only slightly. :(

Pakman

gofreak said:
Thank you! I guess the controls will be interesting to play with.

Mandatory install on both systems? Any idea how much HDD space it takes?

He was talking about the PS3 version (install-wise). Though I wouldn't mind an optional install on the 360 version if it helped out performance.

Mash

AZ Greg said:
As much as it will hurt the quality of these boards, I truly hope we know which version is superior before launch. I have both consoles and don't want to have to pick up the game a few days after launch so I can read everyones opinion and truly find out which version is better. Even if it is only slightly. :(

UGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
I really pushed the keys hard then typing that, I hope it shows.

Dante

fanboy fodder or not, there is some credence when the developer themselves say that. however I'd expect it to be something a kin to Paradise taking a critical eye to really see.

duk

Banned
AZ Greg said:

if both versions are within 95% of each other visually then doesn't other factors come into play? such as controls, content, and sound?

skip

Dante said:
fanboy fodder or not, there is some credence when the developer themselves say that. however I'd expect it to be something a kin to Paradise taking a critical eye to really see.

yup. there really isn't a superior/inferior version here.

shintoki said:
No...We had about 3 or 4 shitty MGS4 topics so far.....About the stupid Headset that doesn't exist:lol That alone beats Bioshock.

LOL, the forum replaced all instances of the words 'fuck', 'Halo' and something else with 'Bioshock' for a day in every post in every thread. It's was pretty huge.

skip said:

skip said:
...the ps3 version looks slightly better...

What is your objective here sir? Do you realize what you've done? DO YOU?!

traveler said:
That should never be greeted with an "Awesome." :/

Huh? You'd rather have them not use the hard drive? DMC4 may have been debatable, but for an open world game it had better fucking use the hard drive.

traveler

Not Wario
_leech_ said:
Huh? You'd rather have them not use the hard drive? DMC4 may have been debatable, but for an open world game it had better fucking use the hard drive.

I'd rather it not be mandatory. I'd also rather not get into this debate again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom