• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2:30 AM, 7-11, Orlando, year 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
Holy crap at that awesome chick from France. Man, it almost makes me want to move to France, ya know, despite the fact that people in France are mostly dicks, lol

AkuMifune

Banned
apparently that clerk still works there

I'll bet she's aged well.

God people were so less cynical. In general, I think it has to be the lack of internet (and the novelty of cameras being new and cool). Seriously, then people were just happy to meet new people. Who gives a shit about meeting new people now? We vet them through various social networking sites, freind groups, social circles, and there's no need to be nice to strangers.

Probably thinking way too much, but I wonder if we realize what we've lost yet.

Var

That was pretty fun to watch. The best thing about 1987? I had an awesome California Raisins t-shirt at the time.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Takes me back. I remember seeing chevy's like that everywhere.

oooh, and also:

brown tiled floors
pastel colored undershirts
jean jackets
..etc

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not true at all. There was plenty to be cynical about. Serious crime and poverty problems, the yuppie movement, the savings and loans disaster, and Iran-Contra, just to name a few.

The year this video was made Robocop was released. That movie was incredibly cynical.

I was gonna say, most inner cities were being absolutely devastated by the crack epidemic. The 80s were great for a lot of us white kids growing up in the suburbs but I don't think it was all that great for a lot of other socio-economic groups.

Acorn

I was gonna say, most inner cities were being absolutely devastated by the crack epidemic. The 80s were great for a lot of us white kids growing up in the suburbs but I don't think it was all that great for a lot of other socio-economic groups.

It was shit for mostly everywhere in the UK that wasn't London/the south east too.

I agree with people that say filming a person is different now compared to back then. Not necessarily because the people are less friendly. Now we have all kinds of privacy issue. You know that video is going to end up on Youtube. Back then it was all for fun.

Video leaks were still a problem in the 80s (like when Rob Lowe got busted shagging 2 teenage girls). It just took longer to transfer them onto VHS.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I got my first video camera about this time. My daughter had just been born and my mom and dad got us a video camera. I was 2 years out of grad school, been married for close to 2 years, had a good job (making a whopping $30,000/yr), we had just bought our first house, times were good.

Ronnie-thumbs-up.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I love stuff like this. So fascinated by what life was like in different eras. The internet and advanced tech like smartphones have changed so much about how we live our lives. I can barely remember what life was like without it, but at least I do have some pre-internet memories. I think it makes me appreciate our current situation so much more than people younger than me.

Not to say I feel it's totally better in every way. I do have a certain nostalgia for the 90s, 80s and wonder what life was like in the 70s and earlier as well. I could watch videos like this all day!

That blonde is hot! Why is she carrying that mirror? What is her number?

The 80s were amazing!

In the 80's you never knew when someone was going to stop you and offer up a line of coke. It was the considerate thing to do to make sure you at least had your own mirror.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really enjoy the found-footage feel of videos from early 90s and earlier. Don't think we will ever have that kind of feeling again with the insane prevalence of video-recording nowadays, and just the fact that in the US communal spaces are really disappearing. It's too bad there aren't more of these videos from earlier than the 80s because they really are a lot of fun.

Early 2000's > all

The present is a terrible hangover that has mutated into a brain tumour.

You must have forgotten, or were too young to remember, the mass paranoia, fearmongering, xenophobia and hate our government was peddling us at the time.

The economy was booming in the early 2000s? Hardly. The dotcom bubble had already crashed. 9/11 had messed things up pretty badly as well and there was already foreshadowings of the current recession happening.

6AXQvGP.jpg

This is how people socialize now. Seriously. Watch people eat at a restaurant. People can't even put their cell phones down at work or at entertainment venues. It is sad and pathetic.

eastmen

Banned
I wonder if that's the one on 192 down there. I've been to it many times . 1987 I would have been 6 years old but I would be down there in sept / april of that year.

I noticed that the cameraman reminded me so much of Ferris Bueler. I mean it's uncanny. Times were definitely different back then. God.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The way the guy with the camera speaks actually reminds me a lot of Jeff Anderson (Randal from Clerks).

whitehawk

Banned
6AXQvGP.jpg

This is how people socialize now. Seriously. Watch people eat at a restaurant. People can't even put their cell phones down at work or at entertainment venues. It is sad and pathetic.
I was at a restaurant with my brother this week, and these two guys were spending the whole time on their phones. I overheard them saying "Alright who wants to check in. Okay I'll do it and tag you. What should I say?" Then they were taking pictures of each other with the menu to post on facebook along with the check in. Then they took pictures of their food. To be fair, they were interacting with each other, but I found it interesting. I don't see the need to tell all my friends that I'm eating a burger.

I was at a restaurant with my brother this week, and these two guys were spending the whole time on their phones. I overheard them saying "Alright who wants to check in. Okay I'll do it and tag you. What should I say?" Then they were taking pictures of each other with the menu to post on facebook along with the check in. Then they took pictures of their food. To be fair, they were interacting with each other, but I found it interesting. I don't see the need to tell all my friends that I'm eating a burger.

My wife and I try to keep our phones in our pockets whenever we go out to eat and try actually converse with each other. It's pretty sad looking around and seeing people on a date just looking down and not taking in the moment.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Less fat people, yet they're still slamming down slurpies and buying bags of sugar.

People used to go outside and do things that involved standing or even walking, all the time. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom