• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.30 PS3 firmware is out now

Don't think this has been posted already.

Seems like the new store will be available sooner then expected:
The PLAYSTATION®Network will be taken offline for a scheduled maintenance to our network during the following times:

Start: April 14, 2008, beginning at 8:00 a.m., Pacific Time
End: April 14, 2008, ending at 11:00 p.m., Pacific Time

During this time, the new PLAYSTATION®Store upgrade will be taking place. As a result access to the PLAYSTATION Network will be restricted, including:

No access to the PLAYSTATION®Store

For information regarding the changes to the PLAYSTATION Store, please visit the PlayStation.Blog.

It is not anticipated that this will affect other PLAYSTATION Network services

Once the new PLAYSTATION Store upgrade is complete, a new system software version will be available for download. This new system software must be installed before you may access the PLAYSTATION Network.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...nMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

rjcc said:
11 p.m. pacific time = 4/15 on the east coast.

That's not tomorrow, it's the day after.

Well, it's tomorrow for me, I'm on the 13th already. Anyway, title says 14th, that's when it comes out.

Darkpen

Banned
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo

D:

also:

25a2e6a.png

boooooooooooobs D:

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Handycrap101 said:
Is any new content expected to go up with the new store, or do we have to wait until Thursday?

gotta wait, for the MGO beta at least. So im guessing the other content too.

slider

14th or 15th - it's all good. You could make it seem a long time by thinking about it too much I guess.

Anyone else's PS3 browser not connecting to the homepage when you use it? I'm a Eurolander. Haven't really waited too long for it to connect, and other sites are fine, but just something I'd noticed.

Aeon712

The PLAYSTATION®Network will be taken offline
Is it just the store or do I have to go the entire day without playing Resistance or Hot Shots online. If so then that sucks since I'm off tomorrow >_<.

Tntnnbltn

Aeon712 said:
Is it just the store or do I have to go the entire day without playing Resistance or Hot Shots online. If so then that sucks since I'm off tomorrow >_<.
As a result access to the PLAYSTATION Network will be restricted, including:

No access to the PLAYSTATION®Store

It is not anticipated that this will affect other PLAYSTATION Network services

llTll said:
excuse me. umm.. more details about MGS Beta ?

how can i get in ? and what do i need wollan.

omg how come i never heard of it. please details asap :(

Pre-order MGS4. Receive promo DVD. Within the DVD is a beta code. Follow instructions included with the code to D/L the beta on the 17th, and play on the 21st.

Wollan

llTll said:
excuse me. umm.. more details about MGS Beta ?
how can i get in ? and what do i need wollan.
omg how come i never heard of it. please details asap :(

If you're in the US and have pre-ordered MGS4 you can get the MGS Saga vol.2 DVD for free from your gaming store. Inside is a Beta key.

If you're European, EVERYONE get's it for free from the PS Store this Thursday.

Beta lasts from April 21st (download starts 17th) and lasts until May 6th.

DarkUSS said:
What's Rockstar Social Club?
Like 'Bungie.net/MyResistance.net' but for GTA4 (and all future Rockstar games).

llTll

Banned
Wollan said:
If you're in the US and have pre-ordered MGS4 you can get the MGS Saga vol.2 DVD for free from your gaming store. Inside is a Beta key.

If you're European, EVERYONE get's it for free from the PS Store this Thursday.

Beta lasts from April 21st (download starts 17th) and lasts until May 6th.

Like 'Bungie.net/MyResistance.net' but for GTA4 (and all future Rockstar games).

i am not in US. so now, i should make UK account on PSN and i am ok ?

Very nice. I just hate that we have to wait two more days until the content gets updated.

But hopefully there will be some good stealth updates in 2.30 to keep us busy.

Mohonky

Jax said:
I just upgraded to firmware 2.2 today. :) crazy~

I'm updating to 2.2 as I type this. Seriously this is ridiculous. Everytime I turn this damn thing on there's another update.

It'd be alright if they were only small quick updates but seriously Sony wtf?

h3ro

Mohonky said:
I'm updating to 2.2 as I type this. Seriously this is ridiculous. Everytime I turn this damn thing on there's another update.

That was released almost a month ago. Its not Sony's fault you don't turn your machine on.

What do you want them to do, sit on updates just because you have to update your machine for five to ten minutes?

I'd much rather get the feature as soon as its available. If it is tested and ready to go, why hold it back?

DarkJC

Mohonky said:

You obviously don't turn it on much, then.

Mohonky said:

You shut your mouth!

Because of people like you Sony stopped the frequent updates until recently. And what did we get in return? More complains for people saying they want new features.

llTll

Banned
h3ro said:
What do you want them to do, sit on updates just because you have to update your maching for five to ten minutes?
:lol

seriously some people are weird.

if there is no update. people complain, if there is updates, people complain. wtf is wrong with u people ?

whats wrong with system updates if they dont fuck up your system ?

since when 90M is big for a download anyway.

Mohonky

h3ro said:
What do you want them to do

...do it fucking right in the first place?

I have to update the dashboard on my Xbox360 once every couple of months and it takes me about 5minutes to download and install.

With my PS3 it takes 20minutes to download about about another 10 to install.

The Playstation Store is still a slow POS, I still have to install game demo's for whatever reason and the functionality of the console as far as media streaming and any form of in game XMB access is almost entirely absent by comparison.

I'd like to know what these firmware updates are really doing because the majority of them seem to mean bugger all from my end.

h3ro

Mohonky said:

I have to update the dashboard on my Xbox360 once every couple of months and it takes me about 5minutes to download and install.

The Playstation Store is still a slow POS, I still have to install game demo's for whatever reason and the functionality of the console as far as media streaming and any form of in game XMB access is almost entirely absent by comparison.

I'd like to know what these firmware updates are really doing because the majority of them seem to mean bugger all from my end.

The PS Store is slow huh, too bad Sony is NEVER going to change the store, or its interface or anything!

I didn't know Sony had access to time machines. They didn't have vital features ready at launch. Does this mean that they should never add them in? Compare what the XBL Dashboard looked like at launch, it looks nothing like it does now, and MS has added tons of functions as well.

If you bothered to actually do some reading/research on what you're talking about before spouting off, you would know that Sony puts up what is in the updates on the US Playstaion Blog.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

RSS that for all info in the future.

Oh and don't turn your PS on for the next few months. There might be another update in May to add to that meager XMB access, so heaven forbid you have to update it again.

Ephemeris

Mohonky said:

michaelheadshake.gif

Mohonky said:

Sell your PS3. Stop complaining.

There.

Your PS3 ain't a 360, live with it. And what exactly do you mean get it right in the first place? They're adding new stuff, not fixing old stuff.

Oh, downloading @ 1MB/s is hardly slow.

patsu

Mohonky said:

Patching seems to be incremental now (The update process checks for some database before applying). But major updates may still change a lot of components, hence the longer patching time. Personally, I am glad that the PS3 is still having major improvement 1+ year after launch. :)

PS3 media streaming is pretty good if you use the right DLNA server. PSN store streaming and Internet video streaming (YouTube) have been implemented. The upcoming 2.3 update provides a more seamless PSN store streaming experience. PS Home will have media sharing capability (eventually).

In-game XMB is coming in 2.40. They probably want to wait until it is fully done.

Some are behind the scene improvements (e.g., OS taking less memory space), some require developers to use them (e.g., in-game XMB features), a large chunk is Blu-ray and media streaming related (Yay !), a few improved RemotePlay, several made XMB better (e.g., Personalization, more settings like DeepColor), and the rest improves b/c compatibility and stability in general.

Mohonky

h3ro said:
The PS Store is slow huh, too bad Sony is NEVER going to change the store, or its interface or anything!

Well it's been a year and a half now and it's still the same crap it's always been. That's a year and a half since launch anyway. They knew what the competition had another year ahead of that aswell.

They didn't have vital features ready at launch. Does this mean that they should never add them in?

The console launched a year later, and now another year and a half later again and they're still floundering to add functionality the competition had at launch.

If you bothered to actually do some reading/research on what you're talking about before spouting off, you would know that Sony puts up what is in the updates on the US Playstaion Blog.

Yes, and it's mostly pointless shit.

I would rather they focussed on getting the damn basics rather than pissing about with tiny (in terms of features anyway) little incremental updates.

Oh and don't turn your PS on for the next few months. There might be another update in May to add to that meager XMB access, so heaven forbid you have to update it again.

Oh boy that'll be the day. I won't be holding my breathe for it. It's been 'coming' for an enternity.

Mohonky said:
Well it's been a year and a half now and it's still the same crap it's always been. That's a year and a half since launch anyway. They knew what the competition had another year ahead of that aswell.
They also knew they're giving you it for FUCKING FREE. Stop complaining.

Mohonky said:
I would rather they focussed on getting the damn basics rather than pissing about with tiny (in terms of features anyway) little incremental updates.
Idiots like you aren't exactly what's crossing Sonys mind when they work on PSN.

Sell your PS3 and have fun paying 50 bucks for online play, + extra for themes and 51x51 gamerpics.

Mohonky

Metalmurphy said:
They also knew they're giving you it for FUCKING FREE. Stop complaining.

Idiots like you aren't exactly what's crossing Sonys mind when they work on PSN.

Sell your PS3 and have fun paying 50 bucks for online play, + extra for themes and 51x51 gamerpics.

Mate if paying $50 enables them to get their shit together, I'm all for it.

patsu

Mohonky said:

The console launched a year later, and now another year and a half later again and they're still floundering to add functionality the competition had at launch.

Sure, but PS3 also has features that the competition lacks. Overall, PS3 is rounding out its feature set incrementally. It has a much larger ROM, so PS3 can afford to add more and more built-in features at the firmware level.

Yes, and it's mostly pointless shit.

If by basics, you mean in-game XMB, it's coming. Playstation has a much more complex vision than its competition (e.g., in-game XMB vs Playstation Home). Some of the features introduced so far are not minor at all (e.g., Blu-ray Live, DLNA)

Top Bottom