• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 new screenshots of Final Fantasy XV

SoulUnison

Banned
Foliage doesn't look good from a distance.

Not feeling the more 'open' aspects of this game at all. Still preferable to the corridor funneling of XIII sure, but eh, I'd rather have a balance than one of the two extremes.

Seriously? XIII is the worst FF in that aspect

In what aspect?

He doesn't know, he just saw a chance to say something about Final Fantasy XIII being the worst and he tripped over it.

Famassu

Just...wow.

He doesn't know shit what he's talking about. The game won't be as open as some CRPGs, but you can get out of your car at any time and start exploring your surroundings. I'm not sure if you can jump into the ocean and swim across it, but at least all the land-mass should be explorable, excluding places where they can't physically (i.e. climb a steep cliff).

KupoNut

Image quality seems to have improved over the last batch of screenshots, hope that rock texture/normal still gets updated.

Damerman

really? that's disappointing, looking what the Wii U could do with XBC (don't want to start any JRPG war here, I SWEAR!)
Oh, well I'm still very pleased with FFXV so far.
That answere is not true.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMRuQMJ8OPs

At the 43:30 mark, tabata says you can explore anywhere that isn't physically impossible to explore Like steep cliffs or deep waters. I don't know what he means by "deep waters" because i think swimming is in the game. Maybe he means there is no diving.

Arkeband

Banned
I didn't watch much of the PAX coverage. What was a highlight for you? I saw driving around and auto parking? I popped in that other thread with a lot of people saying the battle system was kinda ho hum. After they got slammed for the last showing and talking about how little progress they made in the past half year, talk of entertaining an older system for veterans...or not ( idk) it just feels like this is some scramble to make a game with FF in the title at this point. *shrugs*

They had the characters running around with shields, Noctis using a gun, manual driving mode, spell effects, a number of monster models, and some other stuff.

Considering the last ATR was them taking questions and giving absolutely no answers to any of them, and then showing a 5 second fight clip with a Malboro where they just walk around and die, this was practically an infodump.

At the 43:30 mark, tabata says you can explore anywhere that isn't physically impossible to explore Like steep cliffs or deep waters. I don't know what he means by "deep waters" because i think swimming is in the game. Maybe he means there is no diving.

I'm sure it's like most action-RPG's where you can swim in shallow water, but darker, 'deep water' is used as a boundary to keep the player from swimming off the map.

flattie

Doesn't look earth shattering; but that's fine, I'm more concerned with art direction and solid technical performance when it comes to the visuals. I'll be satisfied providing it's varied, interesting to look at and runs at steady 30 fps.

sappyday

Are you absolutely certain? I thought this game was supposed to be SE's answer to XBC.

Not sure where someone put that idea in your head.

But the whole world is explorable unless it's physically impossible for the characters to go there (high cliffs, deep water)

Yeah, it's 900p (should get to 1080p on PS4 after optimization) and there's a postprocess filter that smudges the image a bit.

The Duscae demo was 1080p though, right? Are there any examples of other games that use similiar post process smoothing? It feels very noticeable.

Famassu

I said Xenoblade X, and that's not hyperbole.

In motion FFXV looks far better than Xenoblade X. Don't know what it is about FFXV & shitty screenshots, but barring some IQ imperfections (especially AA still needing work), the game looks great in motion. The only non-IQ related thing that needs fixing in the driving footage is some LOD stuff on trees, but that could still be optimized to look better by the time of release. Otherwise it looks great.

artsi

The Duscae demo was 1080p though, right? Are there any examples of other games that use similiar post process smoothing? It feels very noticeable.

Duscae was also 900p on PS4, there are other games using this kind of AA but I think the FFXV method is quite aggressive.
It's not that bad in gameplay but you notice it well with screenshots.

I hope it gets better when the resolution is bumped, and they can tone it down a bit.

Check 4:33 for ON / OFF comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeIxyPzaToo

Yikes at those textures in the second screen though...

And I'm trying hard, but I just can't get past how much the character designs put me off.

Golnei

I said Xenoblade X, and that's not hyperbole.

Both Xenoblades are fairly similar, visually speaking. To compare either of them to FFXV because of a LOD issue that doesn't really have that much of an impact on anything but foliage is definitely reaching.

Are you absolutely certain? I thought this game was supposed to be SE's answer to XBC.

Actually, that was FFXIV 1.0.

Damerman

Duscae was also 900p on PS4, there are other games using this kind of AA but I think the FFXV method is quite aggressive.
No wonder i hated the look of duscae..

kaye

Banned
Just can't get over the car and the driving and the highway and the other cars driving on the highway as though it's a racing game. Don't think I've ever been so turned off by something like this before. It's just so jarring to me in the context of a 'fantasy' game. What next, cars in Elder Scrolls?

Schlomo

Both Xenoblades are fairly similar, visually speaking. To compare either of them to FFXV because of a LOD issue that doesn't really have that much of an impact on anything but foliage is definitely reaching.

Fairly similar? Are you serious?

And I wasn't talking about foliage, but mainly about the rock textures.

sappyday

Just can't get over the car and the driving and the highway and the other cars driving on the highway as though it's a racing game. Don't think I've ever been so turned off by something like this before. It's just so jarring to me in the context of a 'fantasy' game. What next, cars in Elder Scrolls?

I hope you realize that Final Fantasy has had cars before. Even in the biggest one.

Now the only topic missing in this thread is Cindy's design.

kaye

Banned
I hope you realize that Final Fantasy has had cars before. Even in the biggest one.

I remember cloud on the motorbike thing. But that wasn't the main mode of transportation; that was a chocobo, then an airship. That's the classic final fantasy to me, not this.

I remember cloud on the motorbike thing. But that wasn't the main mode of transportation; that was a chocobo, then an airship. That's the classic final fantasy to me, not this.

Then a propeller plane.
Then a dune buggy.
Then a submarine.

FFIV had a spaceship and a hovercraft.

But yeah... this is too much.

Famassu

We have had space ships, cars, airships and everything in pre-PS2 era "classic" FFs. Not sure why cars on a road are some kind of tipping point for you. Seems like a dumb, arbitrary limitation.

Dark_castle

FFXV isn't pure high fantasy though. It's mainly contemporary mixed with sci-fi fantasy.

sappyday

Then walk to your destination or use a chocobo. Both are confirmed things. The only thing we don't know yet is if airships are in as a mode of transportation.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

Then a propeller plane.
Then a dune buggy.
Then a submarine.

FFIV had a spaceship and a hovercraft.

But yeah... this is too much.

What on Earth?

FFXIII had subway lines in the air and hovercraft type vehicles, gravity manipulation devices (that Lightning used), time travel devices (in XIII-2). FFX was set years after an advanced civilization went into ruin but there was advanced tech around.

FFVIII even had spaceships and an entire futuristic city hidden behind a cloak shield (Esthar). XV isn't even the most futuristic Final Fantasy.

Have some of you even played this series?

Famassu

Too contemporary. I play games for escapism, not to be reminded to shitty morning commute to work.

Still doesn't change the fact that similar modes of transport have been in several past "classic" FFs. I'd love to see where you commute to work if those are the kind of vistas & environments you get to drive through.

Dark_castle

Wow man, that's like the nicest thing i have heard you saying about the game in months!

Stop stalking me D:

Nah, I also brought up the fact that I like Noctis cutting off Behemoth's horn in the progress footage. Possible hint that the monster climbing mechanics is still in, and we can manually target and destroy certain target body parts.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Too contemporary. I play games for escapism, not to be reminded of the shitty morning commute to work.

Can I please swap jobs with you, so that I can commute somewhere that looks like this?

55E452414E144C0019

zoukka

For me personally the game has that yucky "tech-demo" look to it. Like the lighting is fairly realistic, shadows are very dark and the overall coloring has no stylization to it at all. It doesn't help that all the characters are semi-realistic and sport all black clothing. There's nothing interesting going on in the screens except the promise of a large game world.

It's the least distinct Final Fantasy where visual style goes. (I guess that's their goal too).

What on Earth?

FFXIII had subway lines in the air and hovercraft type vehicles, gravity manipulation devices (that Lightning used), time travel devices (in XIII-2). FFX was set years after an advanced civilization went into ruin but there was advanced tech around.

FFVIII even had spaceships and an entire futuristic city hidden behind a cloak shield (Esthar). XV isn't even the most futuristic Final Fantasy.

Have some of you even played this series?

I think you didn't get TheJollyCorner's point.

cackhyena

For me personally the game has that yucky "tech-demo" look to it. Like the lighting is fairly realistic, shadows are very dark and the overall coloring has no stylization to it at all. It doesn't help that all the characters are semi-realistic and sport all black clothing. There's nothing interesting going on in the screens except the promise of a large game world.

It's the least distinct Final Fantasy where visual style goes. (I guess that's their goal too).

Yup.

Berordn

Eh? FFXV is more fantasy than sci-fi. I don't think there's anything sci-fi in FFXV, actually. At least not in anything they've shown so far.

Just speaking in terms of episode duscae, the empire's robot guys and their transports teeter a bit close to sci-fi, at least to me.

But overall I'd definitely call it fantasy.

Arkeband

Banned

Well you see Elder Scrolls has thus far all taken place in one singular world where cars don't exist (though the Dwemer flew airships and had other steampunk tech).

Final Fantasy games all take place on different planets/worlds/universes and are only loosely related through thematic and gameplay elements.

ff8-036.jpg

Shown above: Cars in Final Fantasy

I haven't played the Duscae demo but from all the media I've seen there seems to be little variation in the nature elements. Kinda worrying.

I hope it gets better when the resolution is bumped, and they can tone it down a bit.

Check 4:33 for ON / OFF comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeIxyPzaToo

Wow that AA smudges pretty bad. They need to find a better solution than this.

Top Bottom