• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 new screenshots of Final Fantasy XV

Renekton

Well, it looks... way better than Fallout 4 ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Digging the bro roadtrip feel. I am playing too many lonely hero games recently - e.g. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGSV (soon).

Tworak

oy textures only a mother could love. at least they had enough sense in the first screenshot to pan the camera all the way to the sky.

Damerman

Too contemporary. I play games for escapism, not to be reminded of the shitty morning commute to work.
I hate this reasoning so much. I've never seen a more tired arguement than this nonsense. Does gta not provide escapism? Nothing set in the modern world that pulls you into a narrative gives a sense of escapism? That rhetoric is lazy and cheap excuse to just complain.

Renekton

I hate this reasoning so much. I've never seen a more tired arguement than this nonsense. Does gta not provide escapism? Nothing set in the modern world that pulls you into a narrative gives a sense of escapism? That rhetoric is lazy and cheap excuse to just complain.
Is this the first ever pseudo-contemporary setting FF? I really like it.

Just imagine seeing epic dinosaurs and flying ships off an otherwise mundane coastal road is something.

Famassu

For me personally the game has that yucky "tech-demo" look to it. Like the lighting is fairly realistic, shadows are very dark and the overall coloring has no stylization to it at all. It doesn't help that all the characters are semi-realistic and sport all black clothing. There's nothing interesting going on in the screens except the promise of a large game world.

It's the least distinct Final Fantasy where visual style goes. (I guess that's their goal too).
Eh? The top shot has a nice visual style and we've seen plenty of footage from the game with more distinct visual style (Lucis with its Tokyo x gothic art style, Altissia with its super-over-the-top fantasy-Venice style, Lestallum with its Cuba-ish look, the scene with the red sky etc.). The driving shot is a bit generic, but the situation still looks pretty and has a nice sense of place in the video.

Damerman

FFXV threads seem to attract a carnival of stupid every single time on this forum. This thread is clearly no exception.
Its ridiculous bro. It makes me feel like an apologist even though i have serious qualms with a lot of aspects of the game.

I'm really not seeing what the problem with the textures is.

Famassu

Is this the first ever pseudo-contemporary setting FF? I really like it.

Just imagine seeing epic dinosaurs and flying ships off an otherwise mundane coastal road is something.
Niflheim-Airships-FFXV.jpg

Its ridiculous bro. It makes me feel like an apologist even though i have serious qualms with a lot of aspects of the game.

I'm really not seeing what the problem with the textures is.

Aye, I don't know what it is about FFXV that has opened up the way for so many stupid comments, whether it be 'The textures are worse than Xenoblade on Wii U' or 'The menu's aren't as stylish as Persona 5 so the game obviously won't be as good either', It's kind of crazy.

I know the way Square Enix has been handling the game's messaging has been pretty bad, but damn.

I think the second screenshot doesn't look too hot at all, almost as if the shot isn't fully rendered, but having played Duscae, we all know the game's environmental textures look better than Xenoblade Chronicles X lol.

ConceptX

I'm hoping future trailers/screen shots focus more on areas like this:

Just to get away from peoples comments about everything being empty/boring/plain.

Marketing has been a problem in fueling those comments though of course, they focused on a rather empty Duscae for months and months.

Not worried myself, FF games are always well rounded with variety in terms of art direction, we just haven't seen a lot of variety in the last months, sadly.

I'm hoping future trailers/screen shots focus more on areas like this:

Just to get away from peoples comments about everything being empty/boring/plain.

Marketing has been a problem in fueling those comments though of course, they focused on a rather empty Duscae for months and months.

Not worried myself, FF games are always well rounded with variety in terms of art direction, we just haven't seen a lot of variety in the last months, sadly.
Tbh. Like if all they'd shown of FFXIII was Pulse, over and over, it would be the same thing.

Wow...the draw distance is awful! Really normally I don't shit on a game but this is not what I expect of the first PS4 Final Fantasy.

I'm still not convinced if I want to play this, it looks good though and I'm kinda getting interested but the main characters are disappointing. Ah well, it's been years since FFXII so I might give it a shot, can't be worse than XIII.

oimori

2nd screenshot isn't good, the car and guardrail seem to be cray model.

They can pick more beautiful one from driving trailer. Another fault.

Falk

that puzzling face
Too contemporary. I play games for escapism, not to be reminded of the shitty morning commute to work.

What on Earth?

FFXIII had subway lines in the air and hovercraft type vehicles, gravity manipulation devices (that Lightning used), time travel devices (in XIII-2). FFX was set years after an advanced civilization went into ruin but there was advanced tech around.

FFVIII even had spaceships and an entire futuristic city hidden behind a cloak shield (Esthar). XV isn't even the most futuristic Final Fantasy.

Have some of you even played this series?

qDXIonQ.jpg

hope that helps

edit: I just realized my error in posting that last screenshot. Now the FF fanbase is going to devolve into a 3-page argument about which way Edea's parade float was facing.

Screen shots I see of FFXV usually have these 4 guys in them. Is there no females in this game? We've come to expect some female representation in FF games from the past.

Newboi

It's crazy how much lack of good texture filtering and a non-blurry antialiasing routine truly hurts the image quality. If they release the game on PC, it'll look ridiculously better just because of those options being available to it.

Is there a reason why console games don't just use SMAA as a post process anti aliasing solution? Does it really use that much more performance? SMAA feels almost free on the PC and provides extremely adequate results. I would also gladly sacrifice a tiny bit of graphical flashiness to have 16x anisotropic filtering.

sappyday

Screen shots I see of FFXV usually have these 4 guys in them. Is there no females in this game? We've come to expect some female representation in FF games from the past.

No there isn't. The devs decided that females don't exist in this world of FF. The way children are made is a major plot point.

FFXV isn't pure high fantasy though. It's mainly contemporary mixed with sci-fi fantasy.

Not to nitpick here, but FFXV is pure high fantasy. High fantasy is a subgenre in which stories are set in an entirely fictional world, such as Middle-Earth or Spira. It doesn't refer to a level of technology or anything like that. It just so happens that most high fantasy is medieval.

Well your gut feeling is wrong. You'd know if you watched the ATR.
I saw only parts of the ATR, looking for footage of the game, but while I hear they talking about the fact that you can stop and get out of the car fondamentally everywhere I don't think they ever talked about a swimming option ( in the Duscae demo there isn't one but a lot of mechanics are still missing there). Have they ever did?

EDIT : Sorry, I have saw that this question has been already answered in page 2

I have to say, that first screen is pretty. The second one, though? Not so much. I'm tired of seeing those silly roads with railing on the sides. It feels like bowling with bumpers. It just looks dumb.

Aaron D.

Kind of makes me chuckle as well.

I think Gone Home was #2 or something in my GOTY Top 10 a couple years ago and Farming Simulator is pretty much my GOAT franchise.

Different strokes, I guess.

Arkeband

Banned
I have to say, that first screen is pretty. The second one, though? Not so much. I'm tired of seeing those silly roads with railing on the sides. It feels like bowling with bumpers. It just looks dumb.

Those railings serve a real life purpose, y'know.

This game's been teased for just about an entire decade, as a self described fan of FF, some of us might actually benefit from your blackout technique.

Foliage doesn't look good from a distance.

Not feeling the more 'open' aspects of this game at all. Still preferable to the corridor funneling of XIII sure, but eh, I'd rather have a balance than one of the two extremes.

If you really think about it, the only difference between this open world and the ones in previous FF titles, is there's no overworld to town/dungeon transition. besides that, there towns, dungeons, monsters in the field, etc.

Those railings serve a real life purpose, y'know.

This game's been teased for just about an entire decade, as a self described fan of FF, some of us might actually benefit from your blackout technique.

Haha yeah I tend to do that these days. I don't read much into previews and such. At least then I can come into the game totally fresh.

Top Bottom