• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 new screenshots of Final Fantasy XV

pooptest

Not that im trying to stir the pot or anything, but I have seen better screenshots of games that were more than a year away.

True. It's most likely just uploading a poor choice for an example by SE. There are plenty of other screenshots they could've used that would be less complained about.

I actually prefer the less attractive shots... Shows how much they'll improve over time until release (well, I hope...).

Holy crap, why are so many people so cynical about this game

I couldn't tell you but it's getting beyond ridiculous. I can understand if they're making a reasonable, legitimate complaint but people will just grab at anything to moan about with this game now. After all this time we still get people complaining that there's a car in a FF game.

Fbh

Looking good IMO.

Might not be the best looking game out there but at least if they keep the graphics this way there is a chance it might actually run close to 30fps in the final release

I hate this reasoning so much. I've never seen a more tired arguement than this nonsense. Does gta not provide escapism? Nothing set in the modern world that pulls you into a narrative gives a sense of escapism? That rhetoric is lazy and cheap excuse to just complain.

Agreed.
My only (although rather big) complain about the more realistic setting is that it makes the boy band character design look even more ridiculous

I'm at such a huge disconnect with others when it comes to graphics. I saw that first picture and my jaw dropped, to me it almost looks like one of those beautiful key art CG renders that they started doing circa FFVII/VIII. I can see the complaint in the second image about the foliage being sparse looking at a distance but it still looks great all things considered and being incomplete and all. Such things do not keep me up at night.

wmlk

55E4523F4E1BB30010

55E452414E144C0019

also some more artworks at gematsu: http://gematsu.com/gallery/final-fantasy-xv/august-31-2015/

Good Vibes: The Video Game

They've made some cuts for optimization. Hopefully things get fixed down the line.

benzy

First shot is gorgeous. They fixed that smeary post process AA from the last batch of screens. Some textures could still use some work but in general the texture LOD scaling looks pretty comparable to other open world currentgen-only games on consoles.

berzhvyidu.png

zazzvkfdmt.png

ViciousDS

Banned
I couldn't tell you but it's getting beyond ridiculous. I can understand if they're making a reasonable, legitimate complaint but people will just grab at anything to moan about with this game now. After all this time we still get people complaining that there's a car in a FF game.

I don't know either.......but apparently Xenoblade a 720p game somehow beats FFXV in every visual aspect despite not being out and looking incredible. Foliage doesn't look better the bigger the TV especially when your native res of the game is 720p.

FFXV already to me looks amazing in motion and beyond anything that I saw from X.....but whatever apparently all they do is come into FFXV threads and shit on the game with "omg looks like shit, this game looks better" With nothing with it. The only thing in that other thread are tiny ass GIF's.....yes, everything looks amazing when its that fucking small. Blow the image up on to screen people are using.....its not going to look so pretty.

They need the bump to 1080p on PS4 and it would look so fucking good

I think there's post processing AA similar to Watch Dogs it seems......hence the reason why it looks better in motion than stills. Post AA won't show up in screenshots AFAIK....I remember Watch Dogs looking quite cringy in SS's but in motion it was actually a really good looking game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^nice comparison

wmlk

Yeah, the shots are underwhelming. The game looks a ton better in motion. It may just be the little details that pull it all together when in motion.

For me personally the game has that yucky "tech-demo" look to it. Like the lighting is fairly realistic, shadows are very dark and the overall coloring has no stylization to it at all. It doesn't help that all the characters are semi-realistic and sport all black clothing. There's nothing interesting going on in the screens except the promise of a large game world.

It's the least distinct Final Fantasy where visual style goes. (I guess that's their goal too).

This is my issue as well.
Most of the environments shown so far have seemed really...I guess "drab" isn't the right word, since they technically look good, but the colour palette is very muted and the environments themselves aren't really interesting from an artistic standpoint. The highway footage, especially, could easily be from a game set in the real world. I'm not sure that's what I want from a Final Fantasy game.

Reallink

I agree that the foliage in the second shot doesn't look great; but dragging out Xenoblade comparisons at the first sign of bad optimisation or LOD scaling is an entirely undeserved level of hyperbole.

Visually and aesthetically, I'd actually prefer Dolphin Xenoblade to this drab, blurry soup personally. To be fair, I'd level the same criticism against Xenoblade X.

benzy

Yeah, the shots are underwhelming. The game looks a ton better in motion. It may just be the little details that pull it all together when in motion.

I dunno, I don't get the complaints for the screens especially the second one. Some of the comments make it seem like people have been playing their open world games at 4K or something. On console Witcher 3 drastically cuts back shadow rendering for distance objects and the texture lod isn't really an improvement. Far Cry 4 uses a harsh DOF blur to hide most of the background detail. GTAV, Second Son does so as well.

dkdxkopgdf.jpg

Damerman

Visually and aesthetically, I'd actually prefer Dolphin Xenoblade to this drab, blurry soup personally. To be fair, I'd level the same criticism against Xenoblade X.
Well its an emulation Which is essentially comparing a powerful enough PC to consoles. Emulated ps2 games with post processing effects, high resolution and smooth framerate can be leveled against any current gen game In the graphics department. You literally Just said that pc games look better than console games... Which isn't anything new.

Well its an emulation Which is essentially comparing a powerful enough PC to consoles. Emulated ps2 games with post processing effects, high resolution and smooth framerate can be leveled against any current gen game In the graphics department. You literally Just said that pc games look better than console games... Which isn't anything new.

Are you seriously saying what I think you are saying? You think emulated Resident Evil 4 say is comparable to the Order?

For the record I think this crushes Xenoblade on Dolphin graphically, but it is not a fair or meaningful comparison. On the other hand, it is fair if they guy prefers the look of that game.

I'm totally about this game and will probably love it, but they really need to get their marketing game together and look at what GTAV and MGS5 did with trailer presentations and well imparted gameplay. It's not a knock against the OP, but us having a thread for a measly two screenshots on a drip feed is smh when you think about it in relation to the last story trailer resulting in "itsfuckingnothing" memes, with the scant Malboro gameplay footage from the same show just being buried in random channels and recaps. That, along with yesterday's auto-drive thing that bordered on walking simulator for cars and left most youtube commenters wondering if they can drive because the manual option wasn't implicitly demoed (and likely isn't ready), then just ignoring the opportunity to engage some wildlife because there was a guard rail in the way - "do you even automatically jump small hurdles, bro?"

Like... it's totally fine for me as an FF fan and a habitual optimist, but I know it's probably working as anti-hype for a lot of people, especially ones that have never played a game in the series to know why they might care. Even awhile back I struggled to find the "right" official trailer or Duscae playthrough footage that was hype enough in youtube search results to show a friend that FF15 was a thing. Maybe it will be more focused closer to release.

Damerman

Are you seriously saying what I think you are saying? You think emulated Resident Evil 4 say is comparable to the Order?

For the record I think this crushes Xenoblade on Dolphin graphically, but it is not a fair or meaningful comparison. On the other hand, it is fair if they guy prefers the look of that game.
Well it doesn't have pbr and all the other advanced graphics of the order... But that doesn't mean it looks worse on a superficial level. The order might have nice effects, doesn't necesarily mean it will look as clean as a game with good AA , higher resolution and upscaled textures.

DeSolos

I'm totally about this game and will probably love it, but they really need to get their marketing game together and look at what GTAV and MGS5 did with trailer presentations and well imparted gameplay. It's not a knock against the OP, but us having a thread for a measly two screenshots on a drip feed is smh when you think about it in relation to the last story trailer resulting in "itsfuckingnothing" memes, with the scant Malboro gameplay footage from the same show just being buried in random channels and recaps. That, along with yesterday's auto-drive thing that bordered on walking simulator for cars and left most youtube commenters wondering if they can drive because the manual option wasn't implicitly demoed (and likely isn't ready), then just ignoring the opportunity to engage some wildlife because there was a guard rail in the way - "do you even automatically jump small hurdles, bro?"

Like... it's totally fine for me as an FF fan and a habitual optimist, but I know it's probably working as anti-hype for a lot of people, especially ones that have never played a game in the series to know why they might care. Even awhile back I struggled to find the "right" official trailer or Duscae playthrough footage that was hype enough in youtube search results to show a friend that FF15 was a thing. Maybe it will be more focused closer to release.

Agreed. FFXV's marketing has basically focused only on the low points in the game.

It's like if the marketing of FF7 spent a year covering Cloud's trip from Kalm to the Chocobo farm. Or if FFX's marketing spent 12 months showing battles in the Calm lands.

Both of those sections, were critical for the pacing of their respective games. They both came after very weighty parts of the story, and were their to let the plot sink in, and set you up for the next big plot point. Just like in a horror game how you have to set people up to scare them, excitement works the same way in RPGs. Constant excitement would easily become routine.

The problem is that since TGS last year, we have gotten almost exclusively the low points. Obviously that isn't all the game will have, but people are quick to assume the low points is all this game is. Square would be wise to fix this perception soon. It's a shame that they rushed the demo, because we were supposed to have a battle with Titan in it too while the Behemoth was just a side quest. I wonder if they had managed to finish the Titan battle, if there would be as much moaning today?

Well it doesn't have pbr and all the other advanced graphics of the order... But that doesn't mean it looks worse on a superficial level. The order might have nice effects, doesn't necesarily mean it will look as clean as a game with good AA , higher resolution and upscaled textures.

Don't agree.

Koozek

Agreed. FFXV's marketing has basically focused only on the low points in the game.

It's like if the marketing of FF7 spent a year covering Cloud's trip from Kalm to the Chocobo farm. Or if FFX's marketing spent 12 months showing battles in the Calm lands.

Both of those sections, were critical for the pacing of their respective games. They both came after very weighty parts of the story, and were their to let the plot sink in, and set you up for the next big plot point. Just like in a horror game how you have to set people up to scare them, excitement works the same way in RPGs. Constant excitement would easily become routine.

The problem is that since TGS last year, we have gotten almost exclusively the low points. Obviously that isn't all the game will have, but people are quick to assume the low points is all this game is. Square would be wise to fix this perception soon. It's a shame that they rushed the demo, because we were supposed to have a battle with Titan in it too while the Behemoth was just a side quest. I wonder if they had managed to finish the Titan battle, if there would be as much moaning today?
Agreed. It really leads to a lot of confusion for non-hardcore FF-fans, but maybe it doesn't matter, as people will forget about this stuff pretty quickly anyway when the next real trailer comes and especially if the real blow-out starts from March onwards.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
That forested hill that's getting cropped in here, can you actually explore that (I don't know much about this game) or is it just there to be non interactive distant terrain? If the latter, there's a lot better ways at making lush, thick distant foliage than drawing each tree as a sprite and giving it a super low res dynamic shadow. The art direction and technical choice there seems odd.

Otherwise whatever, looks good enough. Water looks nice.

Ishida

Banned
That forested hill that's getting cropped in here, can you actually explore that (I don't know much about this game) or is it just there to be non interactive distant terrain? If the latter, there's a lot better ways at making lush, thick distant foliage than drawing each tree as a sprite and giving it a super low res dynamic shadow. The art direction and technical choice there seems odd.

You will be able to explore it.

Koozek

I dunno, I don't get the complaints for the screens especially the second one. Some of the comments make it seem like people have been playing their open world games at 4K or something. On console Witcher 3 drastically cuts back shadow rendering for distance objects and the texture lod isn't really an improvement. Far Cry 4 uses a harsh DOF blur to hide most of the background detail. GTAV, Second Son does so as well.

dkdxkopgdf.jpg

Great post by the way. Will find usage in the future when people selectively forget about graphical quality in other open-world games.

Yeah you technically should be able to explore anything you see with the exception of steep mountains and deep water. To put it in better perspective, you should technically be able to walk to nearly every location and never actually use the car.

I imagine that if you were to stop on the side of the road like in the driving trailer you would be able to jump over the railing and traverse the wilderness.

dkdxkopgdf.jpg

Thank you. Maybe it's because I don't play on PC, but I'm unable to think of any recent current-gen open-world console games that make what's been shown of XV in any way comparatively bad (and there's plenty of optimization to go yet).

Artanisix

"I dunno, I don't get the complaints for the screens especially the second one. Some of the comments make it seem like people have been playing their open world games at 4K or something. On console Witcher 3 drastically cuts back shadow rendering for distance objects and the texture lod isn't really an improvement. Far Cry 4 uses a harsh DOF blur to hide most of the background detail. GTAV, Second Son does so as well. "

Yeah, I mean it is comparatively fine compared to other console games. That being said I still feel super disappointed in the graphics -- maybe I'm just spoiled by how good IQ is on PC.

DeSolos

"I dunno, I don't get the complaints for the screens especially the second one. Some of the comments make it seem like people have been playing their open world games at 4K or something. On console Witcher 3 drastically cuts back shadow rendering for distance objects and the texture lod isn't really an improvement. Far Cry 4 uses a harsh DOF blur to hide most of the background detail. GTAV, Second Son does so as well. "

Yeah, I mean it is comparatively fine compared to other console games. That being said I still feel super disappointed in the graphics -- maybe I'm just spoiled by how good IQ is on PC.

Well the good news is, there is still a year to go on development, and Episode Duscae was them doing an optimization dress rehearsal to see what they need to improve on. And by optimization, I mean "SCREW OPTIMIZATION, just cut cut cut and we'll fix it in the final build!".

As long as you pick it up on PS4 it should look fine. I see FFXV on console as the PS3/360 release of GTAV. You just know there will be a definitive PC release at some point. Tabata has been hinting they'd look into it after the console versions ship. I for one will be a part of the problem, so I'll be double dipping.

inner-G

Banned
Environment detail in that second shot looks kind of like garbage

Edit: the trees and everything look monochromatic/flat/fake

Famassu

It's mostly just the low quality of the screenshot that messes up the shot. In motion it looks better and the demo's environmental detail looks just fine in person when actually playing the game and not looking at badly recorded, compressed Youtube videos or shitty screenshots. Cliffs look good, road textures look great, trees & other plants look good etc. There are still some IQ & LOD issues in the demo, but those should at least be somewhat improved between now & release.

SparkTR

The first shot looks okay, but yeah the second one looks rough as hell with the non-existent texture filtering and LoD distance.

Shogun1337

Look closely at those birds in the sky

They're actually full-bodied. That's fucking impressive, in the history of gaming features like birds flying in the sky would actually just be fucking chicken-drawn sprites pretending to be birds. I don't know why I'm obsessing over this but that's a huge detail.

DeSolos

Look closely at those birds in the sky

They're actually full-bodied. That's fucking impressive, in the history of gaming features like birds flying in the sky would actually just be fucking chicken-drawn sprites pretending to be birds. I don't know why I'm obsessing over this but that's a huge detail.

Yep! And that's not everything. All the wildlife is impressive! https://youtu.be/8xfpchJtbTY

benzy

I probably would be too if I had a beast PC. :p The game director said he's considering a PC version for FFXV after the console release. It's pretty much confirmed anyway considering SE has brought over their latest Final Fantasy games.

Is there a console game with incredibly detailed trees in the distance that I don't know about? Every game suffers from this, even Uncharted 4.

maunktceha.png

Top Bottom