• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 years since the cancellation of scalebound.

Sparda

Banned
phil-spencer-spiega-perche-scalebound-stato-cancellato-v6-295549.jpg

Speaking of anti-consumer practices, it was very disappointing to know Microsoft cancelled scalebound, a super hyped project from Hideki Kamiya. I hated the generic main character's design, but everything else was very cool. Scalebound was the dream project of kamiya, unfortunately we will not see this come to fruition. Post your thoughts.

Graciaus

I thought it looked bad from day one right up until it was canceled. But I would never want any game to get canceled.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's not what anti-consumer means... Not everything that happens and you dislike is anti-consumer.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I didnt follow it at all until it was canceled but then I watched some videos and I would have enjoyed this I think.

wipeout364

I have to say I always thought this game looked like garbage. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because it was Platinum but even the original trailer was cringe worthy to me.

FranXico

Speaking of anti-consumer practices, it was very disappointing to know Microsoft cancelled scalebound, a super hyped project from Hideki Kamiya. I hated the generic main character's design, but everything else was very cool. Scalebound was the dream project of kamiya, unfortunately we will not see this come to fruition. Post your thoughts.
I don't think cancelling a game is anti-consumer. People have been throwing that term around VERY loosely lately.

wipeout364

Sorry for the double post, after I wrote the above I went back and watched the original trailer again which is still terrible, but I never appreciated that the multiplayer aspect was there since the original trailer. I had thought that was something that was shoehorned in later, but the end of the trailer shows 5 dragons (I assume separate players coming in to attack the large monster) so this was part was the original game design. The actual game play trailer a couple of years later also looked bad. It's disappointing the game didn't accomplish what it set out to do but I still think it never looked good in any showings.

Fbh

Games getting cancelled is something that happens. It's not anti consumer unless MS never intended to release it in the first place which I don't think is what happened.

As for the game, the actual gameplay videos we saw looked pretty bad and janky, and I was never sold on the coop aspect. But I like Kamiya and the concept itself was really cool so I at least hoped it was just a case of bad demos and the final game would turn out fine

Last edited:

Labolas

From what was reveal behind closed doors, the game had a lot of potential. The forced multi player online coop was definitely from MS's end. A shame that Kamiya's dream game was dashed like this. Hopefully, it comes back in some form.

Vawn

Banned
The game was canceled because it was in such bad of shape, it would have done more harm than good. I wouldn't call that anti-consumer.

Releasing Fallout 76 despite knowing it was a trainwreck - that's anti-consumer.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Never had any interest or ever thought the game looked good.

As per the interwebs, Microsoft had enough of the delays with minimal progress made....the game failed to hit numerous milestones and Microsoft allowed development to continue. The budget continued to balloon (with Platinum pulling a Gearbox and funneling that money to other internal projects).

At a time when Microsoft was desperate for games, they pulled the plug on Scalebound. This was not a MS 1st party game so not sure why this always get put on MS, I know the MS hate is strong, but it was Platinum that failed to deliver (repeatedly and after a ton of $).

Just because Microsoft is a behemoth, doesnt mean it cant be taken advantage of.

The 2 problems with scalebound (besides the main character and music) are that I think they bit off more than they could chew for the hardware ; that frame rate looked rough.

Second MS had their hand in it making too many changes. At least I think it wasn't kamiya making it so MP focused but who knows.

Anyways it had potential, but also a lot of problems. I don't blame them for cancelling.

Last edited:

DonF

It's a shame. Sure the game looked rough in every trailer, but it could have been great.

I compare it to God Hand, in the way that the game looked generic and bland, yet the gameplay was so good.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
it was very disappointing to know Microsoft cancelled scalebound, a super hyped project from Hideki Kamiya.

Let’s be honest now, it only got hyped the moment it was cancelled. No one really cared about it. It looked insanely mediocre, and that’s why it got canned - because it was.

Games getting cancelled is something that happens. It's not anti consumer unless MS never intended to release it in the first place which I don't think is what happened.

Gotta use the “anti consumer” wording to fight Sony’s bad reputation, by making Microsoft look worse.

Thanks for ascribing some unwritten hyperbole onto my original comment. My post really needed your stealth revisionism in order to be countered by your comment. I mean, without it, your snark would have just been misplaced.

Hey if you can't handle your point being challenged then don't post it. They did manage this game poorly from the start and it sucks, but every publisher has done so at least once and that's unrelated to their studio acquisitions.

Stuart360

If the game had been good, it wouldnt of been cancelled, its as simple as that. Why would Microsoft cancel a good game?, they wouldn't.

It seems like literally anything that doesn't go "gamurzz" way is anti-consumer nowadays, if MS canceled it they had good reason for doing so, I wish people (mainly on fucking woke reddit) wouldn't use this stupid term so much...

Night.Ninja

Banned
When are people going to realise scalebound looked like shit, not ONCE did it ever look good.

Microsoft were smart to cancel it when they did and not waste anymore money on it.

Scalebound is Platinum's failure not Microsoft.

After four years in development, you know that game had to be complete garbage for MS to walk away.

The Alien

Banned
Perhaps Kamiya can make it on a different platform in the coming generation.
There was a rumor floating about (which likely isnt true and I hope not) that Ninja Theory could finish off development of Scalebound.

Pretty sure MS owns IP/work to date, so they'd determine who finishes it - and it's unlikely to be Platinum/Kamiya.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All I want to see is for Platinum Games take that Dragon mechanics and make Drakengard 4 with Yoko Taro.

Last edited:
phil-spencer-spiega-perche-scalebound-stato-cancellato-v6-295549.jpg

Fortunately we will see the Fruition, and it will be an Anaconda launch exclusive..MS won't let this jewel go, there will be many surprises L Launch ...OP, you like where I'm going.

radewagon

Hey if you can't handle your point being challenged then don't post it. They did manage this game poorly from the start and it sucks, but every publisher has done so at least once and that's unrelated to their studio acquisitions.

???
Except I never implied that MS was alone in mismanaging. I'm not sure where you got the impression that refuting a claim I never made was a valid response, but whatever, man. You just keep doing you.

Raph64

I mean, every game Kamiya delivered until now turned out to be fantastic games. Okami, Viewtiful Joe, RE2, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and even The Wonderful 101 ( still waiting for a Switch port ) among many others.

Sure, from the gameplay videos it looked like kind of a tedious and janky game to play but who knows ? It could have ended up being either bad, or once again either good.

I’m still looking forward at what Kamiya is eventually doing.

Still shameful that we didn’t Crackdown 3 canceled instead...

Three

The game was canceled because it was in such bad of shape, it would have done more harm than good. I wouldn't call that anti-consumer.

Releasing Fallout 76 despite knowing it was a trainwreck - that's anti-consumer.
MCC happened too

TeamGhobad

Banned
after e3 everyone was shitting on the game and then when it got cancelled people started missing it. i say its a good call, it didn't look like much fun.

Last edited:
It looked like total garbage.

And when it got cancelled, everybody started to act like Scalebound was the savior of Xbox and the most promising game ever.

edit: I believe Platinum is as much at fault as Microsoft is, probably even more to be honest.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
Never liked characters who wear headphones around their neck. The game itself looked both cool and generic at the same time. It looked a bit too ambitious for the power of the Xbox One hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow we saw it completed next-gen.

Top Bottom