• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 reasons why Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a better WRPG than The Witcher 3

Laptop1991

The Witcher gated off its story areas. Bad memory or what? Did they copy that from Black Flag?

yeah here and there, still more open world than Black Flag though, unless you mean the different open world areas like skellige and touissaint, well they are huge different open areas themselves where as Black Flag had only 1.

GuinGuin

Banned
They have nothing in common but you made a thread were you directly compared them in 20 different ways?

Spider Man Lol GIF

They are both rpgs so I was comparing them based on that. Tired of seeing the witcher get undeserved praise when it does literally nothing well unless you're the kind of kid that draws murder scenes in the back of your school notebook and lives for dark fantasy tropes.

GuinGuin

Banned
yeah here and there, still more open world than Black Flag though, unless you mean the different open world areas like skellige and touissaint, well they are huge different open areas themselves where as Black Flag had only 1.

Black Flag's one map was double the size of all of the witcher's split maps combined.

GuinGuin

Banned
Not according to this and nowhere near double,

Black Flag 14, Witcher 3 no 13.

Witcher 3 52 square miles

Black Flag 92 square miles

Laptop1991

Witcher 3 52 square miles

Black Flag 92 square miles

Does that include Toussaint and Kaer Mohren and half of Black Flags was just water, anyway lol, this is off topic, i like all of those games and you really hate The Witcher 3 dont ya.

1. Superior melee combat
Far more moves, weapon options and it's just smoother and faster.

2. Superior ranged combat
The crossbow in The Witcher 3 is damn useless whereas the bows in Odyssey are quick, devasting and accurate.

3. More charming protagonist
Kassandra has the charm and grace to match the greatest stars of cinema. Geralt is as miserable and gruff as a fail son at Thanksgiving.

4. Larger map
The map in Odyssey is almost twice the size of The Witcher 3.

5. Better boats
You have a refugee dinghy in TW3. In Odyssey you have a proud ship of war fit for the high seas which can be customized and upgraded extensively.

6. Better story
TW3 you are basically just the backdrop to the story of Ciri and her MacGuffin magic and there is a little political nonsense with characters that barely have any introduction. In Odyssey you roam the greatest era of the greatest civilization while solving the mysteries of your past and influencing the future.

7. Better DLC
The Witcher 3 DLC you chase around a genie and a vampire. In Odyssey you get all new gameplay exploring the mystical land of Atlantis.

8. Better mounts
In odyssey you can customize your mount and your horse is named after the God Phobos, son of Ares. In The Witcher your horse is named after a roach.

9. Better exploration
There is more to see and do in Odyssey. You can climb every mountain and swim to the bottom of the ocean.

10. Better sex
In TW3 you can romance Triss the rat exterminator or Yennifer who takes every opportunity to emasculate poor Geralt while simultaneously being clingy and a shrew. In Odyssey Kassandra bangs whoever she wants with wild abandon.

11. Better Scaling
In TW3 enemies and quests were a set level so therefore were often too easy and gave awful rewards. In Odyssey enemies and rewards scale.

12. Better Upgrades
Weapons and armor can be fully upgraded with many more options and transmog in Odyssey.

13. Better crafting
Instead of making useless "dedoctions" like Witcher 3 crafting in Odyssey focuses on useful things like weapons and ship upgrades.The supplies are more universal and there are more options for obtaining them.

14. Better graphics and performance
Not really debatable. Everything is just that much more beautiful in Odyssey.

15. Better tracking
Instead of following miles of trails and scent marks like in TW3 in Odyssey you follow clues and geography.

16. More epic battles
If you want you can conquer and defeat every army in the Aegean in Odyssey. In TW3 you fight at most a few guys at a time.

17. More dangerous enemies
Start trouble in Odyssey and an endless wave of mercenaries will be sent to track you down and put an end to you. In TW3 your actions have no consequences outside of story beats and a few worthless guards being sent after you.

18. Better stealth
In Odyssey you can become the ultimate assassin slipping silently into a camp and deftly murdering every soul like a whisper on the wind. In TW3 you stomp around clumsily and must fight your way through every situation.

19. Better antagonists
Instead of knocking off the Nazgul from Lord of the Rings like TW3 in Odyssey you pursue a dangerous cult that has infiltrated every level of society.

20. Better setting
The amazing world of ancient Greece is brought to life brilliantly in Odyssey. TW3 has some generic castles, fields and swamps.

SpicyOrneryAphid-size_restricted.gif
drive off 50 cent GIF

oagboghi2

They are both rpgs so I was comparing them based on that. Tired of seeing the witcher get undeserved praise when it does literally nothing well unless you're the kind of kid that draws murder scenes in the back of your school notebook and lives for dark fantasy tropes.
They are both rpgs so you compared them...based on how they designed bows and how differently they showed sex scenes? Come on

This is just hilarious.

Laptop1991 Laptop1991 is right. It's obvious that it bothers you that Witcher 3 is a more popular game (because it's a really good game, and better than most AC) so you made up some bullshit in your head about murder scenes or whatever.

6. Better story
TW3 you are basically just the backdrop to the story of Ciri and her MacGuffin magic and there is a little political nonsense with characters that barely have any introduction. In Odyssey you roam the greatest era of the greatest civilization while solving the mysteries of your past and influencing the future.
Be honest, did you take this from a ubisoft press release?

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Ok but not the others, your cherry picking, still won't agree with you.

In Black Flag a game about pirates and the peak of British naval dominance the open water was the most exciting part of the game. In TW3 the only thing you could do is collect hundreds of floating barrels from the sea. 😂

FukuDaruma

I gave 20 reasons to support my position. You gave zero. The fact that so many of you are willingly overlooking the many faults of TW3 because "aloof guy with gruff voice is so kewl" is why CDPR thought they could get away with releasing the broken turd that is Cyberpunk.

Your cherrypicking personal bait is just too boring. :messenger_tears_of_joy: But let's go...

AC Unity was a pile of bugs when it came out in 2014, but despite having some lod bugs yet it's now the last really good Assassins Creed. They may have good settings, like Origins and Odyssey, but everything around them, to the very core of what makes an ass creed game an ass creed game, has been a big disappointment and 10 steps back.

Lets look at a 'minor' reason like... the very core of the assassin creed games:

I played more than 100 hours on each, and Odyssey is clearly the worst at mainly everything, unless you are counting "reasons" like "best game called Odyssey that are my favorite: Ass Creed Odyssey"

- Odyssey's combat is so lame and ridiculous you can stab a guy in the fucking neck with a spear and he is still not only alive but fully ready to easily kill you. You can just pierce through an enemy's entire body with a weapon and he keeps fighting like it's nothing... :messenger_ok::messenger_tears_of_joy:

- "Larger map" doesn't mean anything. Odyssey's map is full of repetition and devoid of anything interesting.

- The mercenaries mechanic is one the most utterly moronic ever. It's not only that they just teleport at your place. They were so badly done that you could literally wait for them at the top of any roof and just kick them to dead. Every-single-time. Or they just stay LITERALLY like sitting ducks in water: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

- Overall combat is a lot more satisfying and smooth in W3.

- Story, characters... Odyssey is full of things that are ridiculous, stupid or just plain forgetable. That "dangerous cult that has infiltrated every level of society" is just some random guy here and there that don't do or mean shit or have any interesting story. It's all just vapor and smoke. The Witcher 3's antagonists are memorable, even if you don't remember their names you remember their stories, their personality, nature, specific goals or needs, their relationships with other characters...

For 'some reason' you also totally forgot to add that memorable Odyssey music compared to the utterly forgetable Witcher 3 one, which definitely nobody remembers.

Aaaand... I'm already too bored to invest more time in this pointless comparision... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Oh, just one final 'little' thing... MODS

UjLLBA5.png

Last edited:

Laptop1991

In Black Flag a game about pirates and the peak of British naval dominance the open water was the most exciting part of the game. In TW3 the only thing you could do is collect hundreds of floating barrels from the sea. 😂

lol, whats your point, i like both games, yeah the naval battles are better in Black Flag, but on land the Witcher 3 beats Black Flag, i thought this was about Odyssey anyway lol.

GuinGuin

Banned
lol, whats your point, i like both games, yeah the naval battles are better in Black Flag, but on land the Witcher 3 beats Black Flag, i thought this was about Odyssey anyway lol.

It is. I only brought up Black Flag because it shows how Odyssey is a natural progression of the series and that they didn't need to borrow anything from Emo Polish Guy Simulator.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
5. Better boats
You have a refugee dinghy in TW3. In Odyssey you have a proud ship of war fit for the high seas which can be customized and upgraded extensively.

Bruh super weird comparison. Naval combat is a massive gameplay mechanic in Odyssey. Witcher 3 has nothing to do with boats at all occasionally there's a rowboat to get you from A to B.

This is like saying Madden is better than Witcher because the field goal kicking is superior.

10. Better sex
In TW3 you can romance Triss the rat exterminator or Yennifer who takes every opportunity to emasculate poor Geralt while simultaneously being clingy and a shrew. In Odyssey Kassandra bangs whoever she wants with wild abandon.

Get outta here. As far as Im concerned there is no sex in Odyssey. Fade to black scenes don't count you puritan!

Geralt is slingin dick around like late night Skinemax in Witcher 3.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol the last 3-4 ac being mediocre doesn't make unity any better, it was still a mediocre game with good crowd tech and great indoors graphic, combat, story, sidequest etc were the usual ubisoft shit tier stuff.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I love both games. But I thought the world size in Odyssey was too big. It needed to be scaled down.

I hate enemy level scaling. I want to destroy opponents as I get more powerful. There is no point in leveling up if all of the enemies s ale to your level. Why bother equipping gear and increasing stats if the enemies scale to your level?

GuinGuin

Banned
I love both games. But I thought the world size in Odyssey was too big. It needed to be scaled down.

I hate enemy level scaling. I want to destroy opponents as I get more powerful. There is no point in leveling up if all of the enemies s ale to your level. Why bother equipping gear and increasing stats if the enemies scale to your level?

I already explained why. It encourages you to try new gear and makes acquiring new gear more rewarding. Since it almost always better than what you have equipped.

I loved that Odyssey covered the whole of Greece. As a student of history seeing all those islands brought to life was fantastic.

Ultra Donny

Once again someone trying too hijack subjective opinions and present them as facts. Wouldn't have Anny problem if the thread title was "20 reasons why ...... Is better in MY opinion". Now op just comes across as a retard.

GuinGuin

Banned
Once again someone trying too hijack subjective opinions and present them as facts. Wouldn't have Anny problem if the thread title was "20 reasons why ...... Is better in MY opinion". Now op just comes across as a retard.

Take an English class. Stating "in my opinion" about something that is obviously your opinion is redundant and would get you marked down on any post-graduate paper.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Is this some out of touch April Fool's joke? Witcher 3 is one of the greatest RPG's of all time

If you're some black lipstick wearing goth addicted to derivative dark fantasy maybe. Even then the slow motion ballet through molasses combat might be hard to swallow.

GuinGuin

Banned
Wtf are you talking about?

If you're some black lipstick wearing goth addicted to derivative dark fantasy maybe you think the witcher 3 is one of the best RPGs ever. Even then the slow motion ballet through molasses combat might be hard to swallow.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Is this some out of touch April Fool's joke? Witcher 3 is one of the greatest RPG's of all time

Nah, I love the Witcher series and 3 is where it literally starts to become LESS of an RPG.

I have no issue with people questioning the new AC series in terms of how much of an "RPG" they are, but that by default means it greatly questions Witcher 3. Both games do many of the same things, but AC Odyssey simply does many, many things better. The controls mainly, everything else will be subjective as you can't really argue someone NEEDs to like 1 world over the other or 1 theme over the other etc. All that will differ.

So... I like both titles, but AC takes it in this for me. I don't waste my fucking energy on BS hype, either the fucking game is good, working, functional, playable or its getting shit on by me lol Just cause I'm a fan, buy it day 1, doesn't mean by default I'm gong to fucking lie about a games issues. Shit, you can literally look up my reaction on issues of games I literally bought day 1 where a few issues must be brought up, Witcher 3 doesn't get that fucking pass just cause you or others like it or its overhyped etc. I try to separate that personal like for things to be able to clearly, objectively look at the product to see really what the issues are vs "OMGZ BBQ BIG BOSS IS IN IT, OH WOOOOOOW" lol I've never come across a game like Witcher 3, that has so many fucking issues, it seems the community desperately wants to ignore it and simply wants you to like it cause THEY like it and be like "well......its da best doe" (ignores corrupt saves, missing faces, horse can't cross a bridge, people flying randomly, people's voices cutting out, ignored removed content, ignores nerfed RPG elements that existed in 1 and 2, ignores the game basically giving you free potions to make the game nice and fucking easy for kidz, ignores free bombs, meditate anywhere) might as well have the game play itself at this point lol

I can ignore many fucking things in games, I'd argue around here I'm pretty fucking forgiving on issues, but the dumpster fire of issues on W3, nerfed design and RPG by name only, was just too much for me to really put it above all other RPGs. Its not the worst game of all time, but I think people need to really get over that many don't think its the best either.

I'd say I liked most RPGs I played this generation more then Witcher 3... Not much is even happening in W3 that I can't find better else where imho. Its not in my top 10, not even in my top 100 lol. Neither is AC Odyssey, but I feel from what I played, it indeed is the better game.

40 hours in and I don't have a corrupt save and my fucking horse can cross bridges and peoples faces are intact =) Yet many are SHOCKED that I might like AC Oddyessy or any fucking game for that matter more? Why would I have fun wasting hours on saves that are broken? Why would I have fun "seeing" my favorite characters from that series with missing faces? Just cause I like the series, doesn't mean I give fucking passes for shit development man, anyone can get it and should get shit on for shit work. Its the way it needs to be.

31uBluY.jpeg

index.php

WIOFITt.png

mrxblm8qj7a51.jpg

Last edited:

bobone

I think it also makes it a better game than Breath of the Wild.

Just cuz a game is super popular with Gaf doesn't make it a good game. It makes it trendy.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Ubisoft's artistic vision and immersion have felt downright dull and uninspired for a very long time. It's this samey genericism that I could not even begin to put into words; far smarter orators have.

All I'll say is one quest never felt the same as another in TW3 to me. Boy, can I not say the same for ubisoft quests. They invented rinse and repeat.

Though I may not have had a mount that could fly, a character who could conquer all plot obstacles, a pretty voice, or a larger more lifeless map to conquer, I felt I had a much richer experience when I was done with TW3.

Also Gaunter O'Dimm, boring? Where the fuck do you get off? One of the best evil characters I've enjoyed in awhile. Maybe explain some of these 'deep' characters from ubisoft a bit more? I'm intrigued.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Your aren't allowed to say Nintendo makes bad games (Even if it's true)

Permanent Ban too......hahaha I called this shit the day GuinGuin joined NeoGAF.
I could smell the bullshit from a mile away.

You think panning around a single static object is as impressive as the dynamic, constantly moving and incredibly full and lifelike world of Forbidden West? You have to be joking.
You wont last long here NeoMember

Top Bottom