• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 reasons why Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a better WRPG than The Witcher 3

Guilty_AI

d518802fbfe0180d5c818f388e5979a8.png

Neolombax

I disagree. The overall experience for Odyssey was rather forgettable compared to Witcher 3. I cannot tell you a single memorable thing in Odyssey other than I'm able to kick someone in the chest and launch this person through the air (until it got nerfed slightly). Although I'm not that big of a fan of Witcher 3, I remember a lot of the story beats, the choices I had to make, even the side quests. I even remember Cyberpunk 2077 being hinted as one of the dimensions Ciri went.

I felt although the map for Odyssey was huge, the locales always felt very similar to one another. No other game had fatigued me more than Odyssey, I didn't even finish the game.

Garibaldi

I plumbed a full month exclusively into Witcher 3 and it's expansions back near release and it was absolutely great. One of the best games I've ever played (it's still very much up there). Odyssey??? Boring grind fest I dropped after about 20 hours of doing the same shite. Witcher has a very shallow loop too thinking about it, but it just holds me better so I don't mind. I switched my build from a swordsman to a potion addict that wrecked basically everything in the game though so it might have been that which swings it for me.

Was OP Ubisoft in disguise?

You know, the combat in Witcher 3 is nothing to write home about. And I certainly have other gripes about the game that I don't remember right now. But it's still a great game. And way better RPG than Odyssey.

ALL open world games made by Ubisoft are bloated soulless shallow repetitive games.

bbeach123

I agree with OP . Odyssey almost does everything better . Witcher 3 only have the story , the character , the settings/world building , dialogue .

The gameplay , rpg element like level up , scaling , inventory is shit tier . It just serviceable, not good, not fun .

Odyssey aren't perfect either thou . In the end witcher 3 still a better game .

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
OP got perm’d. Pretty funny this is the hill he quite literally decided to die on. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

the witcher is vastly superior to any of the 3 open world RPG AC games imo

I love how pretty much all of those have nothing to do with the game being an RPG and could just as easily apply to an action game.
Exactly..."gamer" lol

Of course he likes odyssey better, doesnt even know what an rpg is, and makes no mention of quest quality or leveling systems, etc

I like both games, but uh...you spend most of your time fighting in both.

So which game would I rather replay? ...the one without the shitty combat. Sorry, Geralt.
Lol you pend just as much time with quests and doing other things in the witcher 3.

Maybe YOU like to run around and just fight, shows yout simplicity as a gamer. If you want to run around just fight play dragons dogma

Honestly, the fact that some of you are even buying assassins creed games, tells me your standards or values arent that high in the first place.

You already shouldnt be interested in a game a dev releases thats clearly milking a franchise to death. Why are you guys even buying it? I expect that from casuals who dont know any better, not guys who post on a gaming forum.

Assassins creed has become the nba2k of open world games, and if you're still buying it, i look at you like the guys who buy nba 2k. A half ass gamer.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Witcher 3 was prob too hard

Nah bud.

W3 is where that easy shit starts to even come into play, with free bombs, free potions, you can meditate anywhere vs NEEDING to be at a fire, the game practically plays its self at some point. After playing the whole series, I simply enjoy the first game the best as this series progresses, it gets less and less of an RPG, and simply "RPG elements"

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Honestly, the fact that some of you are even buying assassins creed games, tells me your standards or values arent that high in the first place.

You already shouldnt be interested in a game a dev releases thats clearly milking a franchise to death. Why are you guys even buying it? I expect that from casuals who dont know any better, not guys who post on a gaming forum.

Assassins creed has become the nba2k of open world games, and if you're still buying it, i look at you like the guys who buy nba 2k. A half ass gamer.
So true my friend. Nostalgia and OLDDDDD franchises are milked to death.

A man who can say it more interestingly than I can.

Lanrutcon

Lol you pend just as much time with quests and doing other things in the witcher 3.

Maybe YOU like to run around and just fight, shows yout simplicity as a gamer. If you want to run around just fight play dragons dogma

Oh yeah, that travel time. Amazing gameplay that. Picking up apple #5,192? pure excitement. Who the fuck reads quest text on the second playthrough?

And let's not talk about simplicity when you can't even spell "spend", ok champ? Your post makes the average Reddit reply look like Shakespeare.

Flutta

Banned
Nah bud.

W3 is where that easy shit starts to even come into play, with free bombs, free potions, you can meditate anywhere vs NEEDING to be at a fire, the game practically plays its self at some point. After playing the whole series, I simply enjoy the first game the best as this series progresses, it gets less and less of an RPG, and simply "RPG elements"
What's the downside with meditating anywhere? That's what witchers do before entering a fight. In RDR2 you could start a camp anywhere. That's a big plus in my book because you encounter most enemies in the wild, anyway. Imagine running back to the nearest town every time just to meditate :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Witcher games are not as straightforward compared to mainstream games like assassins. You have armor with weight level, two main swords with both serving a purpose, steel swords are best used against non-magical beasts, humans and non-humans. Silver swords are best used against monsters and magical creatures. You need potions before entering a fight most of the time you got magic to use depending on what type of enemy you are encountering, Adrenaline is one of the point values used in combat, etc. Now compare that with any game from the AssCreed series. That's what i meant with AssCreed Odyssey is like a kiddie game compared to TW3.

EDMIX

What's the downside with meditating anywhere? That's what witchers do before entering a fight.

That's a big plus in my book

I know right, might as well watch a lets play instead of playing it too while your at it.

That's what i meant with AssCreed Odyssey is like a kiddie game compared to TW3.

Thats rich as fuck coming from someone who basically wants the game on ultra, casual easy mode. W3 basically is the AC version of the Witcher games

foh :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The games share so much, I find it funny as fuck that people are out here even trying to make it sound like one easy nerf is a "plus in meh book" and then be like "AssCreed be kiddie" while they play a game that fucking gives you bombs and potions for free.....

They simply share too much to really make it sound like one is that much over the other, they are in the ballpark sir and Odyssey simply out did anything CDPR attempted in W3.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that travel time. Amazing gameplay that. Picking up apple #5,192? pure excitement. Who the fuck reads quest text on the second playthrough?

And let's not talk about simplicity when you can't even spell "spend", ok champ? Your post makes the average Reddit reply look like Shakespeare.
The fuck are you talking about? Apples? The witcher 3 has a large quest focus, which is essentially the creative aspect of any rpg. And those quests do not consist of just combat, that would be repetitive, which the witcher 3 isnt due to the variety of experiences and scenarios you encounter within the quests.

For example the bloody baron quest is memorable and has little to do with combat, amongst others.

Unless you're one of those guys who thinks anything that isnt you fighting something is not "gameplay" lol like an ADHD child, or a low IQ fraternity brother.

Have you played and completed the game? Doesnt sound like it lol you implying reading quest text isnt necessary on virtually any playthrough of an rpg is suspect lol are assassins creeds quests so generic that you can do them without reading the context? 🤣

Last edited:
I know right, might as well watch a lets play instead of playing it too while your at it.

Thats rich as fuck coming from someone who basically wants the game on ultra, casual easy mode. W3 basically is the AC version of the Witcher games

foh :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The games share so much, I find it funny as fuck that people are out here even trying to make it sound like one easy nerf is a "plus in meh book" and then be like "AssCreed be kiddie" while they play a game that fucking gives you bombs and potions for free.....

They simply share too much to really make it sound like one is that much over the other, they are in the ballpark sir and Odyssey simply out did anything CDPR attempted in W3.
This kid was presented with the quest writing of the witcher 3 vs. Ass creeds as one singular example of asscreed being worse in that regard, and he put me on his ignore list lmao. Be weary of arguing with this kid. If hes losing he'll put you on ignore list so you cant debate him anymore lol truly the most beta shit ive ever seen

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

The fuck are you talking about? Apples? The witcher 3 has a large quest focus, which is essentially the creative aspect of any rpg. And those quests do not consist of just combat, that would be repetitive, which the witcher 3 isnt due to the variety of experiences and scenarios you encounter within the quests.

For example the bloody baron quest is memorable and has little to do with combat, amongst others.

Unless you're one of those guys who thinks anything that isnt you fighting something is not "gameplay" lol like an ADHD child, or a low IQ fraternity brother.

Have you played and completed the game? Doesnt sound like it lol you implying reading quest text isnt necessary on virtually any playthrough of an rpg is suspect lol are assassins creeds quests so generic that you can do them without reading the context? 🤣

Replaying the game, genius. You might want to read the original post you quoted. It won't take you long to find since it's on the same page as this one. Of fucking course I don't read the quest text on my second playthrough since I, like normal people, remember shit.

Bonus points for calling me an ADHD child and mentioning context when you can't even remember what you're replying to. I'm amazed you manage to work a keyboard without an adult present.

Hinedorf

Banned
Disagree in every way, there's one Witcher 3 and there's several assassins creeds with very little difference.

IMO Odyssey is my favorite AC game to date only because to finish Valhalla requires an insane amount of repetitive action events with very little substance.

Disagree 100% on DLC, TW3's DLC's is an extension of the game as it is/was.....ACO's DLC is an attempt to go from a game about a Greek assassin and go full SCI FI

The Witcher 3 is a game I just organically went from town to town doing WHATEVER I CHOSE. ACO locks you into level based zones.

ACO's Boat content is absolute shit, despite looking cool, and having the songs which is cool, the combat on the boat is a mouse wheel of repetition.

Love both these games but to me it's not close

bobone

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Do you also think a McDouble is fine dining?
The Mcdouble is Breath of the Wild right?
Its a cheap knockoff of the western RPG thats been done better for decades before Nintendo even realized it existed.
I would say its a decent first try; but then again they have so many examples of what to do and they still fucked it up. So no.

oagboghi2

The Mcdouble is Breath of the Wild right?
Its a cheap knockoff of the western RPG thats been done better for decades before Nintendo even realized it existed.
I would say its a decent first try; but then again they have so many examples of what to do and they still fucked it up. So no.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

so you haven’t played it? Good to know

Replaying the game, genius. You might want to read the original post you quoted. It won't take you long to find since it's on the same page as this one. Of fucking course I don't read the quest text on my second playthrough since I, like normal people, remember shit.

Bonus points for calling me an ADHD child and mentioning context when you can't even remember what you're replying to. I'm amazed you manage to work a keyboard without an adult present.
I know what you said, I re-iterate... there is no way you are replaying a thorough rpg, memorizing every aspect of a quest you are encountering without looking at the journal at least once. that's a fucking lie, no matter how many times you are replaying it, like I said, unless you are playing a basic ass game with basic ass quests like assassins creed. Then maybe I could see it. But otherwise that's cap.

and aside from that, when I mentioned quest writing, I didn't mean the literal journal alone genius, I meant the pacing, direction and creative variety of the quests themselves

seems as though you're the one with poor reading comprehension my guy, but I admire your deluded self confidence.

Lanrutcon

I know what you said, I re-iterate... there is no way you are replaying a thorough rpg, memorizing every aspect of a quest you are encountering without looking at the journal at least once. that's a fucking lie, no matter how many times you are replaying it, like I said, unless you are playing a basic ass game with basic ass quests like assassins creed. Then maybe I could see it. But otherwise that's cap.

I'm sorry you've assumed we're all as slow as you are, but that's your own problem. Enjoy life on the spectrum. It's going to be really cap.

and aside from that, when I mentioned quest writing, I didn't mean the literal journal alone genius, I meant the pacing, direction and creative variety of the quests themselves

seems as though you're the one with poor reading comprehension my guy, but I admire your deluded self confidence.

Adorable. You're like 3 kids in a trench coat trying to sneak into a movie theatre, except in your case: trying desperately to string together an English sentence to form a point. You can do it, little guy. Just keep believing in yourself.

Edit: You know what, I'm just being mean to you at this point. I think we've established that we're not going to convince each other of anything here.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They are both rpgs so I was comparing them based on that. Tired of seeing the witcher get undeserved praise when it does literally nothing well unless you're the kind of kid that draws murder scenes in the back of your school notebook and lives for dark fantasy tropes.
OP got perm’d. Pretty funny this is the hill he quite literally decided to die on. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
the witcher is vastly superior to any of the 3 open world RPG AC games imo

You know youve got bad takes when both sides of the fence are like nahh buddy not here:
9hsRsl1.jpg

mIVPc5m.jpg

I'm sorry you've assumed we're all as slow as you are, but that's your own problem. Enjoy life on the spectrum. It's going to be really cap.

Adorable. You're like 3 kids in a trench coat trying to sneak into a movie theatre, except in your case: trying desperately to string together an English sentence to form a point. You can do it, little guy. Just keep believing in yourself.

Edit: You know what, I'm just being mean to you at this point. I think we've established that we're not going to convince each other of anything here.

except a point was made, you're just deflecting in order to avoid giving a retort. Opting to insult to distract from the fact that you can't argue for shit, I get it, it's your comfort zone. Let's review, you missed the point entirely in the first place by talking about the quest log writing, I corrected that, and you opted to not acknowledge it and continue to say you can complete the witcher 3 from memory therefore the writing doesn't matter lol

and your use of "cap" made no sense, offensive. Use that beautiful phrase correctly.

but anyway, since you played the witcher 3 right. Give me a run down of how to complete say... "family Matters" and "count reuvens treasure" "matter of life and death" without looking at anything

then again, this is kinda thing you'd have to be exposed for in person, as you'll likely google that shit anyway..

but hey, basically you're saying you can complete witcher 3 from memory without looking at the quest log once on a replay, you must truly be a fan.

Lanrutcon

except a point was made, you're just deflecting in order to avoid giving a retort. Opting to insult to distract from the fact that you can't argue for shit

You started the insults, so don't whine at me that your feelings are hurt. If you don't want to be treated like a toxic 8 year old, then don't post like one. The fact that you think there's a point buried in your incoherent rambling makes me believe you were raised by raccoons in the wild and completely homeschooled.

and your use of "cap" made no sense, offensive. Use that beautiful phrase correctly.

You misspelt "crap" and you're proud of it. Amazing. Your bathroom must be lined with gold stars from every time you managed to not shit on the floor.

but hey, basically you're saying you can complete witcher 3 from memory without looking at the quest log once on a replay, you must truly be a fan.

No, you said that you're so stupid that even after completing a game you have before, you have to go back and read every word in your quest log to know how to finish the game again. I'm not a genius; you're just apparently bad at video games and/or have the long term memory of a goldfish. Or the game wasn't that memorable for you? Some of those quests were really good. You should have paid more attention. It's a pity how some people just don't appreciate good games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I also think it is, but witcher is much different than odyssey and BotW.

I agree, but not different enough where it can't be compared. I bought AC Odyssey last year for like $14 based on hearing a friend of mine do 100 plus hours and recommend it, we like many similar games and I was surprised just how good it was in so many areas. I got Witcher 3 and BoTW day 1 and many of the same things I enjoy doing in those games can be done in AC Odyssey and in many areas AC does it better. I admit, I slept on the AC open world RPG esk titles when they first came out and playing Origins and now Odyssey, I can say Ubisoft has the better team in most areas vs CDPR.

They both have amazing artist and level designers, but when it comes to simply programing with features and actual functionality, i have to give the nod to AC Odyssey. I'll always love to explore, travel and fight shit in games lol Its why I even own most of the games we are talking about and find it hard to believe or take anyone serious who tries to make it sound like they are not in the same ball park. I simply don't see people randomly flying, corrupt saves, missing faces and voices, horses that can't cross bridges and a whole mess of glitches as something to ignore. As much as I love these types of open world games, functionality comes first, I still fucking need to be able to play the title without massive issues.

Ceadeus

I agree, but not different enough where it can't be compared. I bought AC Odyssey last year for like $14 based on hearing a friend of mine do 100 plus hours and recommend it, we like many similar games and I was surprised just how good it was in so many areas. I got Witcher 3 and BoTW day 1 and many of the same things I enjoy doing in those games can be done in AC Odyssey and in many areas AC does it better. I admit, I slept on the AC open world RPG esk titles when they first came out and playing Origins and now Odyssey, I can say Ubisoft has the better team in most areas vs CDPR.

They both have amazing artist and level designers, but when it comes to simply programing with features and actual functionality, i have to give the nod to AC Odyssey. I'll always love to explore, travel and fight shit in games lol Its why I even own most of the games we are talking about and find it hard to believe or take anyone serious who tries to make it sound like they are not in the same ball park. I simply don't see people randomly flying, corrupt saves, missing faces and voices, horses that can't cross bridges and a whole mess of glitches as something to ignore. As much as I love these types of open world games, functionality comes first, I still fucking need to be able to play the title without massive issues.
One thing to note though is that CDPR have been on the console market for much less longer than Ubi. Almost every ubi games share a lot of features and gameplay structure. While CDPR only have been doing Witcher serie for so long and then cyberpunk, it's hard to judge how they will turn out after a couple of years!

oagboghi2

Nah bud.

How the hell does mediate anywhere lead to "game plays itself"?

You started the insults, so don't whine at me that your feelings are hurt. If you don't want to be treated like a toxic 8 year old, then don't post like one. The fact that you think there's a point buried in your incoherent rambling makes me believe you were raised by raccoons in the wild and completely homeschooled.
Feelings hurt-
translation: " I hope I hurt his feelings on this one" lol

Look, it's okay you made an embarrassing assertion and you are desperately trying to avoid having to defend it.

But no need for all that friend, let's talk about it :)

You misspelt "crap" and you're proud of it. Amazing. Your bathroom must be lined with gold stars from every time you managed to not shit on the floor.

Cap* a slang term for "Lie", clearly you have no social life where you interact that much outside this forum or else you'd be slightly aware of term Lol thanks for giving an indication of the degree of lameness your life consists of.

No, you said that you're so stupid that even after completing a game you have before, you have to go back and read every word in your quest log to know how to finish the game again. I'm not a genius; you're just apparently bad at video games and/or have the long term memory of a goldfish. Or the game wasn't that memorable for you? Some of those quests were really good. You should have paid more attention. It's a pity how some people just don't appreciate good games.
Still never told me about those quests.

By the way, let's repeat your core argument

" nobody reads quest logs on the second playthrough, therefore writing doesn't matter"

Read that a couple times and understand how stupid your core point is. I know you want to avoid acknowledging it the best you can . It's a pretty bad take I get it, happens to the best of us.

Hmm, maybe if I seperate the points like this..it'll easier for him to digest

Point: 1. even if you didnt read any quests logs on repeat playthroughs for the witcher 3 (cap), that doesnt mean quality writing within them has no value. Are you saying it doesnt?

Point 2: your focus on writing in quest logs alone is misguided, writing for quests entails creative variety, direction, pacing etc. Which is stronger in the witcher 3 vs. assassins creed games.

These points/retorts were made previously, I just anxiously await for how you maneuver avoiding these ones. Its like a show for me, a true talent.

EDMIX

One thing to note though is that CDPR have been on the console market for much less longer than Ubi. Almost every ubi games share a lot of features and gameplay structure. While CDPR only have been doing Witcher serie for so long and then cyberpunk, it's hard to judge how they will turn out after a couple of years!

Oh no doubt, hopefully they learn from this.

That is the main reason I even feel Ubisoft would do a better job in all those areas in the first place. They literally do elements CDPR simply hasn't done, removed from their games, tried to do etc So I admit I don't know where they'll go in a couple years, but if they keep up trying to force a team to force a team of 500 to do the work of 1200 they'll gone pretty soon.

Top Bottom