• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2007-2008 network upfront and renewals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6439378.html

Pilot charts here
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/television/pilot_charts/index.jsp

first write up
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr..._reporter/e3i6aa5bb36869cfa84b93b1273f7516b29

Mother's Day is just around the corner, and with it comes the end of another development season. Just like the FDA extensively tests every new food before it hits the market, the broadcast networks for the past week have subjected their pilots to a series of rigorous screenings and testing by focus groups. At their upfront presentations in New York on May 14-18 the nets will announce which projects have been approved to go on the primetime market. But for now, pilot information is guarded more closely than the Coca-Cola recipe, forcing anxious industry folk to feed on rumors. Here is the latest round of pilot gossip:

-- ABC, which is rumored to pick up four to six one-hour pilots, is said to be proceeding with high-level staffing on two dramas, "Pushing Daisies" and the untitled Jon Feldman project -- a sign that the shows might be joining the "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff on the schedule next season. Also hot is drama "Marlowe," which recently received an order for two additional scripts and is now lining up series directors, as well as "Dirty Sexy Money." "Cashmere Mafia," "Eli Stone" and "Football Wives" also are believed to be in contention. "Sam I Am," "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office," "The Thick of It" and "The Middle" are getting buzz on the comedy side.

-- NBC brass is said to be very high on the dramedy "Lipstick Jungle." Also flying high after extensive retooling is the sci-fi saga "The Bionic Woman" as well as three male-centered one-hours: Josh Schwartz's "Chuck," "Journeyman" and "Life." In fact, a scenario floating around has the network picking up all of its one-hour pilots except "Mayor of New York" with 12- or six-episode orders as strike contingency. On the comedy side, "Lipshitz Saves the World," which was filmed months ago, is making a charge alongside "Business Class" and "The IT Crowd."

-- CBS, which might pick up only three to four new dramas, is said to be high on the untitled Cynthia Cidre project, "Babylon Fields" and "The Man," with "Protect & Serve," "Swingtown," "Skip Tracer" and "Viva Laughlin" also in contention. Greg Garcia's "Fugly" is making noise on the comedy side.

-- Fox, which might pick up four to five drama pilots, is said to be seriously considering sci-fi entries "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and "Them" and cop shows "The Apostles" and "K-Ville." Also in the running are "Nurses," "Canterbury's Law" and "The Cure." In the comedy field, besides "Action News," which is considered on the air, the untitled Victor Fresco project and animated "The Life and Times of Tim" also getting notice.
Advertisement

-- CW, which is looking to add three to four new dramas, is said to be high on Schwartz's "Gossip Girl," "The Reaper" and the untitled South Africa project.

Finke also has a write up

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/primetime-pilot-panic-handicapping/

Hi CBS, please bring back How I Met Your Mother. It's really quite good, and is probably the best traditional (4 camera) sitcom on the air. Also, I really connect with the characters and Alyson Hannigan is smoking hot.

mj1108

Cool to see "The IT Crowd" being picked up. Wonder how they'll bring it over here like The Office.

Also, looking forward to seeing "The Thick of It". Mitch Hurwitz and Richard Day are behind it (Arrested Development).

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN0921849120070509

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The CW drama "Veronica Mars" is inching closer to a renewal for a fourth season after a trailer for the proposed revamped version of the series got a warm reception at the network, sources said.

The new season would fast-forward a couple of years, and find the title character (Kristen Bell) studying at the FBI Academy.

The cult favorite had been on the verge of cancellation, but its fortunes have improved significantly in the past week with the announcement that "Gilmore Girls" won't be coming back and because of "Mars" creator Rob Thomas' well-received fourth-season idea.

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN1035051320070510

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - It seems the comedy drought on broadcast television might continue for at least another year.

Sources speculated that just a handful of new half-hour series -- as few as five -- might land on the fall schedules, with some networks potentially picking up only one or no new comedy series. Meanwhile, dramas are making another strong showing, with about a half-dozen projects vying for slots at most networks.

One comedy hopeful, ABC's "Sam I Am," and the CW's one-hour "Reaper" have inched closer to a series pickup as they have received permission to begin hiring staffers.

At ABC, in addition to "Sam," two other comedies have picked up momentum: the much-talked-about "Cavemen," based on the characters from the Geico commercials, and "Miss/Guided," which was shot months ago.

Additionally, there has been speculation that the robbery romp "The Knights of Prosperity," which was taken off the schedule, might return for a second season with "Everybody Loves Raymond" star Ray Romano as the new mark; the previous target was Mick Jagger.

Another freshman comedy, "Notes From the Underbelly," also is said to have a shot at coming back, along with veterans "George Lopez" and "According to Jim," with "Lopez" having the edge between the two.

"Pushing Daisies," an untitled project about four high-powered executives who belong to the same golf club, "Dirty Sexy Money," "Eli Stone," "Football Wives," "Cashmere Mafia" and "Marlowe" are among the strong candidates on the drama side.

The big guessing game at ABC is where on the schedule its "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff is going to land, with 10 p.m. Wednesday, 9 or 10 p.m. Monday and 10 p.m. Thursday slots being the most-discussed possibilities at the moment.

At CBS, the dramas "Babylon Fields," an untitled project about a family of liquor barons, "The Man" and "Viva Laughlin" and the comedies "Fugly," "The Big Bang Theory," "The Captain," "The Giants of Radio" and "I'm in Hell" are said to be in contention. The liquor baron drama, starring Jimmy Smits is rumored for the 10 p.m. Thursday slot, with the period's current occupant, "Shark," potentially replacing "Close to Home" on Friday.

In addition to NBC's hot sci-fi drama "The Bionic Woman,"almost all other one-hour pilots are in the running at the network, including "Journeyman," "Chuck" and "Life," which are hiring staff. The network is said to have narrowed the comedy field to "The IT Crowd," "Business Class" and "Lipshitz Saves the World."

The Brad Garrett comedy "'Til Death" looks like a sure thing to return for next season at Fox, possibly paired with the new comedy "Action News."

Actioner "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," which is rumored as a potential companion to "24," is hot on the drama side, with "K-Ville," "Them," "Canterbury's Law," "Nurses" and "New Amsterdam" also in contention.

At CW, "Reaper" joins "Gossip Girl" as pilots that have been given the green light to begin making staffing offers.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Darko

Ripclawe said:
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The CW drama "Veronica Mars" is inching closer to a renewal for a fourth season after a trailer for the proposed revamped version of the series got a warm reception at the network, sources said.

The new season would fast-forward a couple of years, and find the title character (Kristen Bell) studying at the FBI Academy.

The cult favorite had been on the verge of cancellation, but its fortunes have improved significantly in the past week with the announcement that "Gilmore Girls" won't be coming back and because of "Mars" creator Rob Thomas' well-received fourth-season idea.

great news :D

Costanza said:
Um, what about Prison Break?

24 doesnt come back until January remember. Theyll probably run the same schedule in which a new show debuted with 24 in January and was promptly canceled. Prison Break was put on again which is why it ended so early

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
jamesinclair said:
Also, is War At Home coming back?

That's what the "insiders" say. Rappaport doesn't even know.

and **** CW

killing off Reba when it was getting better ratings than all of it's Monday comedies!

Costanza

Banned
jamesinclair said:
24 doesnt come back until January remember. Theyll probably run the same schedule in which a new show debuted with 24 in January and was promptly canceled. Prison Break was put on again which is why it ended so early
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

jobber

Stoney Mason said:
I can't tell if this is the most brilliant satire post ever or the scariest...

It's a lot of people that feel that way actually. The lady in charge of programming is on the hot seat because she signed Everybody Hates Chris and Girlfriends to new seasons before the 3rd episodes of the season aired. Reba was pulling in twice the ratings and they cancel the show! Gilmore Girls was getting good ratings for it's time slot but that's gone too.

CW will be done in 2 years!

jobber said:
It's a lot of people that feel that way actually. The lady in charge of programming is on the hot seat because she signed Everybody Hates Chris and Girlfriends to new seasons before the 3rd episodes of the season aired. Reba was pulling in twice the ratings and they cancel the show! Gilmore Girls was getting good ratings for it's time slot but that's gone too.

Well partially I'm speaking out of my ass since the only time I would ever watch Reba is when channel surfing past it but I've watched a few minutes of it and it seemed awful. Since I don't own stock in their network I actually like a focus less on ratings and more on actual decent shows.

jobber

Stoney Mason said:
Well partially I'm speaking out of my ass since the only time I would ever watch Reba is when channel surfing past it but I've watched a few minutes of it and it seemed awful. Since I don't own stock in their network I actually like a focus less on ratings and more on actual decent shows.

eh it's wasn't for everybody. It's still popular in reruns as it comes on 6 times a day.

Costanza

Banned
jobber said:

I don't think I even watch one show on CW anymore.

Ripclawe

Banned
VR1117964687.html

After weeks of speculation, NBC is expected to announce shortly that it has given a greenlight to critically acclaimed but low-rated drama "Friday Night Lights."
Net is expected to order a full 22 episodes of the drama, which will spur a spate of rejoicing among the nation's TV critics.

Season to date, "Friday Night Lights" has only averaged a 2.3 rating and 6 share, and 6.1 million viewers overall. Given the show's low ratings, an order for "Friday Night Lights" wasn't guaranteed.

But NBC Entertainment prexy Kevin Reilly has championed the show as part of NBC's "first be first, then be best" mantra -- and the net already renewed another highly praised but low-rated skein, the Tina Fay laffer "30 Rock."

NBC Universal TV Studio and Imagine TV are behind "Friday Night Lights," which comes from exec producer Peter Berg (who was behind the feature from which the show was based), as well as Jason Katims, Brian Grazer, David Nevins and Sarah Aubrey. Kyle Chandler stars as coach Eric Taylor in the show, which is set in the world of small-town Texas high school football.

Meanwhile Peacock is also said to be close to picking up its slate of new dramas, including "The Bionic Woman," "Chuck," "Journeyman" and "Life."

Solo

FNL full season pickup? My day = made. That show slowly became pretty much my favorite thing going on network television last year.

Thomper

!!!!!
ABC's Pilotlist said:
Life on Mars 20th Century Fox TV David E. Kelley, Stephen Garrett, Jane Featherstone
Detective whose girlfriend has just been kidnapped finds himself transported back to the 1970s. Based on the BBC series
The BBC-show was awesoooome! They'll probably butcher the whole concept for the US-version, but I would still love to see this.

Pringler said:
Where is my Scrubs Season 7 renewal? Make it happen NBC.
I heard it's going to ABC if NBC doesn't pick it up.
mj1108 said:
Also, looking forward to seeing "The Thick of It". Mitch Hurwitz and Richard Day are behind it (Arrested Development).
I'm there day one.

FnordChan

Thomper said:
The BBC-show was awesoooome! They'll probably butcher the whole concept for the US-version, but I would still love to see this.

I agree that it's probably doomed to suck, but I'm still curious to see how the US-centric 70's flashback turns out. If nothing else, it may mean that I recognize more of the music cues.

Also, glad to hear a fourth season of Veronica Mars is being strongly considered. Go VM!

FnordChan

Thomper

FnordChan said:
I agree that it's probably doomed to suck, but I'm still curious to see how the US-centric 70's flashback turns out. If nothing else, it may mean that I recognize more of the music cues.

Also, glad to hear a fourth season of Veronica Mars is being strongly considered. Go VM!

FnordChan
Exactly. I can be pretty sure that the Hunt-racial-reactions will have been toned down, which is a shame, but it'll be interesting to see how they Americanize this - ie where they'll set it.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6441585.html
ABC late Friday picked up Sony Pictures Television's Cashmere Mafia, a new Darren Star drama about four successful female executives who are friends.

Cashmere is Sony's first new series pickup for fall. The studio has also gotten a pickup for the Brad Garrett comedy 'Til Death on Fox for a second season, according to industry sources.

NBC Friday was closing-in more series pickups, with Lipshitz Saves The World looking assured of a place on next season’s schedule, along with drama Lipstick Jungle, the latter possibly for midseason.

Lipshitz is the in-house, Dan Fogelman-helmed, geeky teen comedy featuring Leslie Nielsen, which was green-lighted to pilot last summer.

The network has also reportedly picked up Scrubs for 18 episodes after a lengthy negotiation over the ABC Television Studio utility hitter. Like last year, ABC has indicated that it will grab the series should NBC pass.

Lipshitz is about a 17-year-old chosen to rid the world of danger. Lipstick, based on the Candace Bushnell book, is also from NBC Universal TV Studio.

Ripclawe

Banned
Where is my Scrubs Season 7 renewal? Make it happen NBC.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964785.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Meanwhile, as of Friday midday it also looked like NBC was set to bring back "Scrubs" for a seventh and final season (at a reduced 18 episodes), despite mounting speculation that the Peacock would let it go -- leaving ABC to pick up the laffer, from its sister ABC Studios arm.

Other bubble shows that continue to look good for renewal -- at smaller episodic numbers -- include ABC's "Knights of Prosperity" and "Notes from the Underbelly."

Nets appear to be adhering to the conventional wisdom that they'd rather keep and try to grow the critically acclaimed but low-rated shows they already have (read: NBC's "Friday Night Lights") -- given all the time, money and patience already spent on said shows -- than try to do it all over again with new, untested properties that could potentially do even worse.

(Of course, the high number of borderline shows making the grade could also be a sign that the webs aren't as bullish on their development this season as they'd like to be.)

In the case of "Prosperity," ABC opted to hold back on the show's final episodes of the season, which featured Ray Romano, in the hopes that the "Raymond" vet's star wattage might help relaunch the show.

Also Friday, NBC added "Lipstick Jungle" to its roster of drama orders. Show, based on the Candace Bushnell book, revolves around women in Manhattan (Brooke Shields, Kim Raver, Lindsay Price star). NBC Universal TV is behind the show.

On the rumor tip, talk of ABC pickups center on the net's untitled Jon Feldman pilot, as well as "Dirty Sexy Money," "Eli Stone" and "Pushing Daisies." Comedies on the hot list include "Cavemen," "Sam I Am" and "Carpoolers."

StrikerObi said:
Hi CBS, please bring back How I Met Your Mother. It's really quite good, and is probably the best traditional (4 camera) sitcom on the air. Also, I really connect with the characters and Alyson Hannigan is smoking hot.

You speaketh the truth.

Wes

venison crêpe
Solo said:
FNL full season pickup? My day = made. That show slowly became pretty much my favorite thing going on network television last year.

Same here. I thought FNL was constantly awesome. Even more amazing in the latter of the episodes. This is happy, happy news.

White Man

FnordChan said:

Due to its subject matter, I expect it to be Lostified. Outside of Picket Fences, I haven't really liked a David Kelley show. I know he likes juggling multiple plotlines at once, but that won't fly with Life on Mars.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964801.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

ABC sets new series
'Anatomy' spin-off made official

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Bold, gutsy women (they solve murders! They balance their lives and loves in Manhattan! The leave the safety of a hit Thursday night show to go solo in Santa Monica!) and mysterious men (they resurrect dead people! They think they're prophets!) topline ABC's seven drama pickups, while the net has also given the series go-ahead to three new laffers.

In the no-brainer of the year, Alphabet made it official: The "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff -- still tentatively titled "Private Practice" (apologies to fans still rooting for the title "Montgomery's Ward") -- is a go. "Private Practice" appeared to be a sure thing after last week's "Grey's" episode, a back-door pilot for the new series, passed its initial Nielsen check-up with flying colors.

"Private Practice," starring Kate Walsh, comes from ABC Studios and exec producers Shonda Rhimes, Marti Noxon, Betsy Beers and Mark Gordon.

Also, it was a great Friday for Greg Berlanti -- already riding high thanks to the strength of returning drama "Brothers & Sisters," which he's credited with helping breathe new life into earlier this season. ABC Studios' pact with Berlanti has paid off, with two more series from the producer hitting the Alphabet airwaves next season.

The pair of dramas include "Dirty Sexy Money," a legal sudser starring Peter Krause as an attorney who takes over the family business when his father suddenly dies. ABC Studio produces; Berlanti, Bryan Singer, Melissa Berman, Matt Gross and Craig Wright are exec producers.

Berlanti's other project, "Eli Stone," is a spiritual drama about a man (Jonny Lee Miller) who believes he may be a prophet. Loretta Devine, Natasha Henstridge and Victor Garber also star. Berlanti EPs with Marc Guggenheim.

Among the other pickups, the fantasy crime drama "Pushing Daisies" revolves around a man who discovers he can resurrect dead people with the touch of his hand -- but that if he touches them again, they once again leave this mortal coil. Warner Bros. TV is the studio; Bryan Fuller, Dan Jinks, Bruce Cohen and Barry Sonnenfeld exec produce. Cast includes Chi McBride, Kristin Chenoweth, Swoosie Kurtz and Lee Pace.

"Big Shots," from Warner Bros. TV, follows a group of male execs supporting each other through life. Stars include Dylan McDermott, Michael Vartan, Christopher Titus and Joshua Molina; Jon Feldman exec produces.

"Cashmere Mafia" focuses on a group of thirtysomething women (including Lucy Liu, Bonnie Somerville and Frances O'Connor) as they navigate life in New York -- consider it the flip side of "Big Shots." Sony Pictures TV is behind the show, as are producers Darren Star and Gail Katz. Kevin Wade exec produces with Star and Katz.

Then there's "Women's Murder Club," based on the James Patterson novels about four women who chase serial killers in San Francisco. Twentieth Century Fox TV is the studio; Shawn Ryan, Scott Winant, Brett Ratner, Joe Simpson, Sarah Fain and Elizabeth Craft exec produce, as does Patterson.

As for the comedies:

Based on the infamous Geico commercials, "Cavemen" centers on early homosapiens living and working in Atlanta -- and experiencing prejudice along the way. ABC Studios is behind the show; exec producers include Mike Schiff, Bill Martin, Guymon Casady, Daniel Rappaport, Josh Gordon and Will Speck.

"Sam I Am," from ABC Studios and Brillstein-Grey, stars Christina Applegate as a woman who contracts amnesia -- and realizes she wasn't well-liked in her old life. ABC Studios is the studio; Donald Todd is exec producer, with Brillstein-Grey's Peter Traugott.

"Carpoolers" follows the exploits around a group of men who share the ride to work. ABC Studios is behind the show; Bruce McCulloch exec produces with DreamWorks' Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank and 3 Arts' David Miner.

Ripclawe

Banned
CBS announcements are next week, but this doesn't sound great.

http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/2007/05/10/jericho-season-finale-a-bomb/

Jericho looks unlikely to return next year. In a lackluster finale, the show averaged a 2.1 adults 18-49, according to Nielsen overnights.

That's down slightly from a 2.2 for the week before and down 38 percent off the show's 3.4 debut, writes Media Life.

Jericho seemed promising at the beginning of the season, attracting a steady audience despite the fact that it aired opposite Dancing with the Stars. But after a three-month hiatus, the show struggled. It wasn't helped along by the fact that it aired opposite several expanded editions of American Idol. Media watchers expect the show, highly and creatively publicized by CBS last fall, to be dropped.

FoneBone

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i8b30e2fc7d99d5a4ab79212850975092

Fox taps 'Sarah Connor,' 'Back to You'
By Nellie Andreeva

May 12, 2007

Fox has picked up six new series for next season, sources said Friday.

The network's pick-ups include the "Terminator"-themed sci-fi drama "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," New Orleans-set cop drama "K-Ville" and high-concept detective drama "New Amsterdam."

On the comedy side, the Kelsey Grammer-Patricia Heaton starrer "Back to You" (formerly known as "Action News") has been officially picked up to series, along with Amy Sherman-Palladino's "The Return of Jezebel James" and the Farrelly brothers-produced "The Rules of Starting Over."

Fox declined comment late Friday.

In upfront news reported earlier, Fox has renewed freshman comedy "'Til Death."

Meanwhile, dramedy "Lipstick Jungle" has been added to NBC's slate of new series picked up for next season, possibly as a midseason replacement, and "Scrubs" has clinched a seventh-season renewal by the network, sources said.

The Sony Pictures TV-produced "Til Death," starring "Everybody Loves Raymond" alum Brad Garrett, has been expected to be picked up following a late-season ratings surge when the show ran after Fox's mega-hit "American Idol." The multi-camera "'Til Death" has been rumored as a potential companion piece for "Back to You."

"Lipstick," based on Candace Bushnell's book, joins previously ordered dramas "The Bionic Woman," "Chuck," "Journeyman" and "Life."

"Lipstick," from NBC Universal TV Studio, stars Lindsay Price, Brooke Shields and Kim Raver as trio of successful professional women in New York.

"Scrubs," from ABC Studios, is said to have been picked up for 18 episodes. The order comes after months of negotiations, due to the high pricetag for the six year-old show.

For a second year in a row, ABC had expressed interest in picking up the quirky medical comedy if NBC passes on it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jobber said:
That's what the "insiders" say. Rappaport doesn't even know.

and **** CW

killing off Reba when it was getting better ratings than all of it's Monday comedies!

Dude...what?!

Btw, I assume Heroes got renewed for season 2?

Memles

Heroes and most other series you would expect to have been renewed have been renewed (The Office, etc.)

In case anyone is interested, I've been running down each network's past pilot season, their performance, and then a projected schedule at my blog, if anyone is interested. It condenses everything down into the basics, and can at least give a preview of what might occur this week. The CW and CBS are up now, FOX tonight, and then ABC/NBC tomorrow.

http://memles.wordpress.com/tag/upfronts/

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-c...reports,0,25950.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

A rumored CBS schedule circulating on the eve of upfronts includes on-the-bubble comedies "How I Met Your Mother," "The New Adventures of Old Christine" and "Rules of Engagement."

The Hollywood Reporter confirms that CBS is likely to maintain a Monday night comedy block that includes third seasons of "HIMYM" and "Christine," as well as a second run of mid-season comedy "Rules." Those three would carry the night along with returning hit "Two and a Half Men," a move that would mean the end of "The Class" and would also suggest that none of CBS' new comedy pilots would be on the air in the fall.

It's being reported that CBS' drama pilot pick-ups will be led by the untitled Cynthia Cidre pilot, featuring Jimmy Smits. That series could be ticketed for CBS' high profile Thursday night 10 p.m. slot after "CSI," with "Shark" possibly moving to Tuesday night at 10.

Also looking good for pick-ups are the Hugh Jackman-produced crime-musical "Viva Laughlin" (possibly for Wednesday nights at 8 p.m.), the zombie dramedy "Babylon Fields" (maybe as a Friday companion for "Ghost Whisperer") and the '70s partner-swapping dramedy "Swingtown" (maybe landing on Sunday nights.

CBS won't officially announce its schedule until the network's upfront presentation on Wednesday (May 16) morning.

Stay tuned to Zap2it for additional details.

I know you'll all make endless fun of me, but I actually found The Class somewhat watchable.

Glad to hear that Friday Night Lights is coming back.

And Private Practice, based off last week's GA episode, looks like a train wreck. I hope it gets canceled quickly so Addison (the only character on GA I actually like) can go back to Seattle Grace.

Ripclawe

Banned
Law and Order: CI is moving to USA network to then be rerun on NBC at a later date. all 3 L&O are coming back but at reduced budgets.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964817.html?categoryid=14

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964862.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

While a few of NBC's burning questions were resolved by Sunday night, others won't be answered until today, when the Peacock reveals its fall primetime strategy.
Insiders confirmed that "Scrubs" would indeed return for another season -- ending talk of a move to ABC -- while "Law & Order" is on the callback sheet as well along with earlier survivor "Friday Night Lights."

With the fate of those shows resolved, rival networks itching for intel on NBC's plans wondered whether the net would take a huge gamble and relocate frosh smash "Heroes" -- perhaps to the all-important Thursday night lineup.

Most observers discounted that theory, however, arguing that "Heroes" was more valuable on Monday, where it could possibly help launch a show at 10 p.m. and/or 8 p.m. (Perhaps "Journeyman," "Chuck" or "The Bionic Woman"?)

Even if "Heroes" doesn't move, NBC could possibly open up the Thursday night 10 p.m. slot to a new show -- moving "ER" to a new slot for the first time in its history (possibly Wednesday), or at least resting the show (as the Peacock had originally planned to do this year).

There's also intense speculation that Noah Wyle may return to the long-running medical drama for several episodes to fill out his contractural obligation with the studio.

Peacock's plan for its Thursday night comedy block is coming into focus.

"The Office" is expected to get the 9 p.m. tentpole slot, with "My Name Is Earl" at 8, "30 Rock" at 8:30 and "Scrubs" at 9:30.

NBC will pick up six one hour eps of "The Office" for a total of 30 segs. The net picked up just 18 eps of "Scrubs"; in the weeks that the medical laffer doesn't air, net will air a one-hour episode of "The Office."

Then there's also new comedy "The IT Crowd," which could potentially fill one of the half-hour spots while "30 Rock" or "Scrubs" take a rest.

Laffer, from NBC Universal TV Studio and FremantleMedia, is based on a Britcom about a computer tech crew. David Guarascio, Moses Port, Joe Wiseman, Joe Port, Steve Tao and Graham Linehan exec produce.

Also on the scheduling front, now that both "Friday Night Lights," "Medium" and "Law & Order" have been renewed, where do they go? (It's probably safe to say those "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" second runs head straight to Saturday.)

Sources said that the net will move "Law and Order" off the Friday sked.

There's some sense in putting "Friday Night Lights" on Friday -- it's easy marketing, and a no-pressure zone that could help nurture the show without asking it to do much heavy lifting. (You can also argue that "Lights' " target aud is young enough to be nostalgic for Friday night football games, but old enough to be home and not actually at some high school field).

On the reality tip, it's still unclear whether "The Apprentice" will be back, or how many segs of "Deal or No Deal" will be brought into service.

Then there's what to do with NBC's new dramas. Besides "Journeyman" and "Bionic Woman," that includes "Chuck" and "Life" (Daily Variety, May 11) -- and one late add, "Lipstick Jungle."

That show, based on the Candace Bushnell book, revolves around women in Manhattan (Brooke Shields, Kim Raver and Lindsay Price star). NBC Universal TV is behind the series, which is exec produced by DeAnn Heline, Eileen Heisler and Bushnell.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That's cool about The Office getting a few hour-longs guaranteed. That works for me.

Memles

Man, Variety makes me so angry sometimes with their "sources"; I had perfectly good schedules all lined up and then they use their actual connection to these networks to figure out much superior information that contradicts me and makes me have to edit them. Damn you, Variety. *Shakes Fist*

I'm most interested in seeing that they're not trying to use Comedy Night Done Right to launch a new comedy (And that they're willing to throw The Office fully against Grey's/CSI. It's nice to see 30 Rock avoid their influence (And might pick up some Earl viewers/Survivor castoffs), though, but...I really think NBC should have passed on Scrubs in order to let a new sitcom fill in there. It's a bizarre move that I can't quite get behind on a personal level. It's clear, though, that on subject matter alone The IT Crowd is being groomed to take over from Scrubs post-Office when the time comes.

For those interested, I have indeed completed previews for all five major networks at my blog, so if you want final previews they're all available at the link a few posts back. I'll be updating with stuff tomorrow, although I figure Ripclawe appears to have things covered.

Hats off to Ripclawe for some steady updating, I most look forward to the rest of the week.

Memles

Hollywood Reporter - ABC and FOX dial 911

ABC and Fox have firmed up their rosters of new series for next season, handing out pickup papers to 10 and seven new scripted shows, respectively.

Sources on Sunday said that ABC is in talks to pick up an 11th pilot, the 20th Century Fox TV-produced comedy "Miss/Guided," to series, which would become a co-production with ABC Studios.

Additionally, ABC is bringing back two midseason entries -- the drama "October Road" and the comedy "Notes From the Underbelly" -- with 13-episode orders, while Fox has renewed the freshman comedy " 'Til Death."

Meanwhile, the NBC Universal TV Studio-produced "Aliens in America," about a Pakistani Muslim exchange student, has emerged as an unlikely frontrunner on the comedy side at the CW. The pilot from writers Moses Port and David Guarascio, who also are behind NBC's newly ordered comedy series "The IT Crowd," was shot months ago. But according to sources, if it is picked up to series, "Aliens" would not be produced by NBC Uni TV but by the network's sister studios, CBS Paramount Network TV and Warner Bros. TV.

A third CW drama has moved closer to a series order as the network has given the go-ahead for high-level staffing offers to be made on the untitled South Africa project. It joins "Gossip Girl" and "Reaper," which last week were given the OK to do the same.

Meanwhile, CBS is moving ahead with two dramas, the untitled Cynthia Cidre project starring Jimmy Smits and the couple-swinging "Swingtown," both given the green light to start making staffing offers.

Fox's seven new series orders -- four dramas and three comedies -- mirror the network's scorecard from last year. ABC's pickups are also on par with what the network did last season.

ABC is staking an early claim on the titles of the most-buzzed-about new comedy and drama series for next season with orders for the half-hour "Cavemen," based on the characters from the Geico commercials, and the "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff "Private Practice."

With ABC going for doctors, Fox went for cops and lawyers, handing series orders to "Canterbury's Law," starring Julianna Margulies; the New Orleans-set cop drama "K-Ville"; and the high-concept detective drama "New Amsterdam."

Fox's picks for next season also include the "Terminator"-themed sci-fi drama "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," which John Wirth has joined as an executive producer.

On the comedy side, Fox went for big names in front of and behind the camera, formally picking up the Kelsey Grammer-Patricia Heaton starrer "Back to You" from Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd. The show is rumored to be a potential companion for "Death," a reunion of sorts for Heaton and fellow "Raymond" co-star Brad Garrett, who toplines "Death." The network also ordered Amy Sherman-Palladino's "The Return of Jezebel James," starring Parker Posey, and the Farrelly brothers-produced "The Rules of Starting Over."

In addition to "Practice," ABC also is betting on two drama projects from Greg Berlanti -- the star-studded "Dirty Sexy Money" and "Eli Stone" -- as well as "Cashmere Mafia" starring Lucy Liu, "Pushing Daisies," "Women's Murder Club" and "Big Shots" (formerly the untitled Jon Feldman project).

On the comedy side, "Cavemen" is joined by "Sam I Am," starring Christina Applegate as a woman with amnesia, and the male buddy comedy "Carpoolers."

After six seasons, it's the end of the road for ABC's comedy "George Lopez." The network's freshman comedy "The Knights of Prosperity" also seems unlikely to return because of issues with scheduling and reaching an agreement with Ray Romano, who was to co-star next season (HR 5/10).

Meanwhile, the veteran sitcom "According to Jim" is said to still be in contention.

Exit Laughing: NBC Retreats from Comedy

It's the sign of the times.

For the first time in almost 30 years, NBC won't have a new comedy series on its fall schedule. And, in a hint of the new direction the broadcast networks will be taking in the face of audience demand for as many originals of their favorite series as possible, NBC's top comedies "The Office" and "My Name Is Earl" will produce 30 and 28 episodes, respectively, next season.

NBC is set to unveil its fall schedule today in New York following down-to-the-wire negotiations that secured the return of two veteran NBC series -- drama "Law & Order" and comedy "Scrubs" -- both of which had had potential suitors, TNT and ABC, respectively. "L&O" has been picked up for 22 episodes, "Scrubs" for 18.

It's been an across-the-board retreat from comedy this pickup season, with only a few new half-hour projects getting series orders by the networks. NBC ended up ordering only one new comedy series, "The IT Crowd," which is said to have received a six-episode order for midseason. Also rumored for midseason is newly greenlighted dramedy "Lipstick Jungle."

"Crowd" and "Lipstick" join four other hourlong projects that NBC picked up to series Thursday: "The Bionic Woman," "Chuck," "Journeyman" and "Life" (HR 5/11).

Because of dramas' poor repeatability, especially when they are serialized, the broadcast networks have been moving steadily toward running hourlong shows in long stretches of original episodes. If NBC's experiment with "Office" and "Earl" is successful, comedies might follow with bigger annual batches of original episodes than the regular 22-24 per season.

Comedies used to perform much better than dramas in reruns, but with the shows now available on many digital platforms right after they air on TV, on-air repeats are becoming less and less relevant. What's more, long stretches of repeats seriously hurt the series' ratings when they come back with originals, which is the case with "Office" and "Earl," which had a great run in the winter, but suffered in the final portion of the season after weeks of repeats in March and April.

While it's a safe bet that "Office" and "Earl" will stay on Thursday, the rest of NBC's fall schedule was still murky Sunday as the network closely guarded details about its lineup.

For a second consecutive year, "ER," which is going into the second year of a two-year pickup, has been rumored to leave its Thursday 10 p.m. period. While it is possible, observers caution that the 14-year-old show's steep price tag would make such move risky.

A couple of new series with sci-fi elements, "Bionic Woman" and "Journeyman," had been speculated as potential companions for NBC's freshman hit "Heroes" on Mondays, while critical darling "Friday Night Lights" could stay true to its title with a Friday berth.

"Lipstick," based on Candace Bushnell's novel, stars Lindsay Price, Brooke Shields and Kim Raver as trio of successful professional women in New York. NBC Uni TV Studio is producing.

"Crowd," from NBC Uni TV and "American Idol" producer FremantleMedia North America, is a multicamera workplace comedy with single-camera elements that is set at an IT department. With its setting and pedigree, the project, based on a British series, is close to the network's hit comedy "Office."

30 episodes of The Office? Wow. And six of them as one-hour specials. They are going to have to have some Carell-free hours in there in order to keep it up.

ParkPace

ABC is staking an early claim on the titles of the most-buzzed-about new comedy ... for next season with orders for the half-hour "Cavemen," based on the characters from the Geico commercials...

:lol Awesome. Those commercials crack me up.

medrew

jobber said:
Gilmore Girls was getting good ratings for it's time slot but that's gone too.

It's not as if CW didn't want it back. The show had gone down the shitter after the creator quit and even a cut-back season of 13 eps and more money wasn't enough to entice the cast back. Well, the two main females at least.

jey_16

Banned
i really hope Jericho gets renewed....it wasnt that good in the first few episodes, but after the break, the quality has really improved and talk about a cliffhanger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom