• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2007-2008 network upfront and renewals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I read that none of Veronica Mars' cast members have been booked for CW's upfront. Not looking good for that show. Too bad since I really liked the 3rd season.

Memles said:
The bigger thing about these lists is the other show that CBS doesn't mention: Jericho. It's in trouble. Big trouble.

That sucks. Their were only three shows I really cared about getting renewed and that was Supernatural, Veronica Mars, and Jericho with Jericho and Supernatural being the two main ones. Looks like I'm batting .333

Memles said:
Oh, and thanks Cornballer for the link to the Metacritic site, I've linked to it from my blog. It's most helpful.
No problem. :)

Regarding VM, I thought they were waiting on the pilot Rob Thomas' new plan (VM @ FBI academy) before they made a decision?
SF Chronicle - May 4th said:
You have to give credit to Rob Thomas, the creator of the much-hyped but little-viewed "Veronica Mars," for trying to save his show, which seemed all but dead at the CW when it failed to ignite this season with Veronica (the lovely and talented Kristen Bell) going to college. Thomas, sensing doom, pitched the idea that his cute private detective would (by fast-forwarding her life a few years) become a rookie FBI agent. And just like that, the CW would have a police procedural, the kind of show sister network CBS just adores. The studio gave him some money to film a mini-pilot of his idea, and now the CW will decide its fate.

Memles

No, it was just a presentation for VM: FBI, and while the network seemed impressed it doesn't look like they were impressed enough...although it's entirely possible they could push it back to midseason status and film a proper pilot...but there's no sign of this taking place, and the ordering of three pilots basically seals the show's fate.

That blows. Oh well, at least I'm only halfway through S2 right now, so I have a season and a half worth of VM to watch before it gets the axe.

ABC's lineup looks awful. It's really something when NBC's lineup easily trumps ABC's.

Fox's Sara Conner Chronicles looks interesting.

Too bad if they kill Jericho. It started to pick up steam. I hope the actor who plays "Hawkins" gets picked up for another show.

I watch Smallville and to a lesser extent Supernatural out of habit. I want to see how things end (probably the same reason I'm still watching Lost).

thekad

Banned
Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies sound good. Life also looks pretty good from that trailer, but couldn't NBC come up with a better name than that?

Man, I want to watch Private Practice(never watched Grey's), but I don't want to aid in moving Lost's time slot. I guess I'll have to use other means >_>

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
FoneBone said:
Back to NBC... Bionic Woman actually looks somewhat promising, though that's more because of how slick it looks (NBC clearly spent a ton on the pilot) than on the premise or writing.

Yeah, NBC clearly opened up their wallets for the Bionic Woman. But the preview made it seem really stupid, at least to me. Everything just was so cliche, and the clips from the final fight were dumb. The fighting was cool, but the one liners and shock moments were bleh.

Memles

Variety has some final word on CBS...and it's not good for Jericho.

Jericho, The Class, Close to Home Get the Axe - Variety

Net wasn't commenting Tuesday, but several people familiar with the situation said none of the skeins has been given a series order for next season. "Close to Home" had been considered near dead for several months now, with "Class" on the longshot list, but there had been speculation that CBS would exercise some patience with "Jericho."

Eye skeins getting better news this week include "How I Met Your Mother," which has been picked up for a third season. Eye's most buzzworthy laffer might seem to be a no-brainer for renewal, but CBS execs make producers sweat it out until the last minute.

However, the good news: How I Met Your Mother has been renewed! Huzzah, my DVD purchase was not in vain.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Memles said:

Jericho, The Class, Close to Home Get the Axe - Variety

However, the good news: How I Met Your Mother has been renewed! Huzzah, my DVD purchase was not in vain.

I've never even heard of The Class. But I'm somewhat glad to hear Close to Home is getting knocked off. CBS has way too many FBI / Crime Scene procedurals. They have Close to Home, Cold Case, 3 CSIs, Criminal Minds, NCIS, Numbers, and Without a Trace.

Costanza

Banned
Memles said:

Jericho, Get the Axe - Variety
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

SHIT **** ****FKFGHDKKGK DAMMIT

**** YOU CBS

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Memles said:
Assuming The CW orders 4 comedies and keeps Smackdown, that leaves 8 hours of programming.

ANTM
One Tree Hill
Supernatural
Smallville
Reaper
Gossip Girl
Wild at Heart (African Drama)
???

Chances are that a cheap reality show (Beauty & the Geek, if they're casting for it as Jonny seems to say) is going to fill that spot before Veronica Mars.

The bigger thing about these lists is the other show that CBS doesn't mention: Jericho. It's in trouble. Big trouble.

Oh, and thanks Cornballer for the link to the Metacritic site, I've linked to it from my blog. It's most helpful.

:lol you must not know how the CW operates!
http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_entertainment/bvbuzzcanvas/_a/may-29-2006/20060526105609990001

no show is safe! (unless you're a major star)

Memles

White Man said:
Nice to hear Supernatural is back. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Veronica Mars. PLEASE CW!!!

Your pleas have fallen on deaf ears (Hollywood Reporter)

It's the end of the road, folks.
Additionally, the network has renewed sci-fi dramas ‘Smallville’ and ‘Supernatural’ and teen soap “One Tree Hill” for next season, while comedy “All of Us” and drama “Veronica Mars” won’t be coming back.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Memles said:
Your pleas have fallen on deaf ears (Hollywood Reporter)

It's the end of the road, folks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jesus christ the 1 show that did peek my intrest after the slaughter of UPN/WB shows is dead -_-

why does CW like stabbing me in my eyes and take away the only comedies I like

I hope Smackdown leaves CW next year and moves to Bravo.

Kabouter

B.K. said:
I wonder why they decided not to renew Jericho. I thought they said before it had it's break that it would have a second season.

Even though it got much better after the break, the ratings went the other way.
It's a real shame, because it was my favourite new show this season. (Second favourite was Studio 60, so I'm lovin' American networks right now)

Mooreberg

"Mayor of New York"

I wonder what that is about.

Also is it true that ABC is going to move Lost to 9PM on Tuesday? (a.k.a. on against House)

Just release the show on DVD if the ratings mean so little. :lol

Solo

White Man said:
Nice to hear Supernatural is back. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Veronica Mars. PLEASE CW!!!

WB/CW can only renew such a ratings cancer so many times. Frankly, Im surprised we got 3 years.

Im honestly glad VM has been cancelled. And this is coming from a guy who thinks S1 is possibly his favorite television season EVER.

The only thing that stinks is that we wont get a proper series finale.

Solo said:
WB/CW can only renew such a ratings cancer so many times. Frankly, Im surprised we got 3 years.

Im honestly glad VM has been cancelled. And this is coming from a guy who thinks S1 is possibly his favorite television season EVER.

The only thing that stinks is that we wont get a proper series finale.
Exactly. After the great S1, it had no place to go but down. Add in the network switch and catering to the Gilmore Girls audience and the show went down even faster. Better to put VM out of its misery.

Memles

Mooreberg said:
Also is it true that ABC is going to move Lost to 9PM on Tuesday? (a.k.a. on against House)

...no. That's not true. ABC has announced nothing about Lost yet, they're remaining very quiet on the subject. That's also technically the current location of the Dancing with the Stars results show, which didn't move in its fall schedule so it's unlikely to move in the Spring either.

And as for Veronica Mars, I think it would be a smart midseason pickup for The CW. Gives them some room to breathe should one of their pilots fail. But it's unlikely to happen, and might well be for the best.

Solo

I just want Kristen Bell on a new show, on a decent network, pronto. Shes far too talented (and cute) to be unemployed for long.

Memles

Solo said:
I just want Kristen Bell on a new show, on a decent network, pronto. Shes far too talented (and cute) to be unemployed for long.

I was really hoping the rumour about Rob Thomas taking over Viva Laughlin would pan out (It's not happening, according to Variety), because then he could bring Kristen Bell with him. It's a musical, so her singing talents could be put to good use and she'd be a strong addition to the cast.

bluemax

Banned
mj1108 said:
Cool to see "The IT Crowd" being picked up. Wonder how they'll bring it over here like The Office.

Also, looking forward to seeing "The Thick of It". Mitch Hurwitz and Richard Day are behind it (Arrested Development).

An American version of the IT Crowd? This could be awesome or awful, no real middle ground.

They need to cutout the slapstick from the British version, that was the worst part of it.

Cornballer said:
ABC's Fall Preview from their website. Includes descriptions, video, etc...

Nothing on this list appeals to me.

Novid

Banned
OOOOOOOOOO NAHHHHHH MAN!

Not Jericho! Damn it.

They replased it with a e/i show...

Not just a e/i show... a Reality E/I show.

KID NATION is a reality-based series in which 40 kids will have 40 days to build a new world - in a ghost town that died in the 19th Century. These kids, ages 8-15, will spend more than a month without their parents or modern comforts in Bonanza City, N.M., attempting to do what their forefathers could not - build a town that works. They will cook their own meals, clean their own outhouses, haul their own water and even run their own businesses - including the old town saloon (root beer only). They'll also create a real government - four kid leaders who will guide the group through their adventure, pass laws and set bedtimes. Through it all, they'll cope with regular childhood emotions and situations: homesickness, peer pressure and the urge to break every rule they've ever known. At the end of each episode, all 40 kids will gather at an old fashioned Town Hall meeting where they will debate the issues facing Bonanza City. They'll show wisdom beyond their years and the unflinching candor that only kids can exhibit. There are no eliminations on KID NATION - you only go home if you want to. And in every Town Hall meeting, kids may raise their hands and leave. Will they stick it out? In the end, will these kids prove to adults everywhere (and their own parents!) that they have the vision to build a better world than the pioneers who came before them? And just as importantly, will they come together as a cohesive unit, or will they abandon all responsibility and succumb to the childhood temptations that lead to round-the-clock chaos? KID NATION is produced by Emmy Award winner Tom Forman ("Extreme Makeover: Home Edition") for Tom Forman Prods. and Good TV, Inc.

:lol :lol :lol This is a Saturday Morining show not a Network Series!

Novid

Banned
They are really ****ing serious about moving away from Serials. I blame House, but then again, its a one actor show most of the time and Idol doesnt have the "X Factor" people as from several years ago.

Outside of Fox who is keeping a majority of their shows and has Sarah Conner Chronicles, Lost, The Bad A-Ko dramady aka The "NEW" Bionic Woman (which just has a bad lead), Friday Night Lights (isnt gonna last long) The new Vampire Series that will suffer the same fate as Jericho...and Heroes...there not gonna gain a damn thing overall. When TNT airs The Closer again to record numbers this summer im just gonna:lol :lol :lol

Novid said:
They are really ****ing serious about moving away from Serials.

Unfortunately almost across the board the serials all took a ratings decline. I still feell that form of television is far superior to standalone episodes, however. I think part of the problem also is that they sort of flooded the market on them last season. They over-saturated.

Novid

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Is it just me, or is there no good TV until January?

24, Lost, Amazing Race

jericho, studio gone...
argh

Well I only watch one half of heros, Im not sure what they have planned for Prison Break, Bones needs to get better writers, House been doing the same 10 stories for 68 episodes and is being held up by one dude. The fact they kept 30 Rock but Studio 60 is gone, dispite Studio 60 fits there non Serial mantra for next year...:lol :lol

Unless CBS makes the new Vampire series into a new Dark Shadows (so someone can Bring Dark Shadows back) there not gaining a damn thing out side of House next season.

Memles

The new Vampire Series that will suffer the same fate as Jericho...

No, no it won't. Moonlight is actually a series about a vampire who works as a private investigator, so much like Ghost Whisperer it will have a strong enough procedural element to last especially after its strong lead-in.

And yeah, the reality is that the serials were overplayed this year and the result is a complete departure from them. This will change in a few years, and the cycle will continue.

Novid

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Unfortunately almost across the board the serials all took a ratings decline. I still fill that form of television is far superior to standalone episodes, however. I think part of the problem also is that they sort of flooded the market on them last season. They over-saturated.

Thats somewhat true, but when Lost Started it was called the next Star Trek. I think one, Idol wasnt as good as it was the last three years, two House has better writers than Grays even though Grays has better ratings on the advrage, three daylights savings moved up, four Cable and Satellite, five the new people meters.

Novid

Banned
Memles said:
No, no it won't. Moonlight is actually a series about a vampire who works as a private investigator, so much like Ghost Whisperer it will have a strong enough procedural element to last especially after its strong lead-in.

And yeah, the reality is that the serials were overplayed this year and the result is a complete departure from them. This will change in a few years, and the cycle will continue.

That dont even sound right. I need magic and swords and human drama, not another Law and Order Vampire Freaks :lol :lol But still, im in the camp thats says dont change the horse when everybody else is ****ing up the food supply

Memles

Novid said:
Thats somewhat true, but when Lost Started it was called the next Star Trek. I think one, Idol wasnt as good as it was the last three years, two House has better writers than Grays even though Grays has better ratings on the advrage, three daylights savings moved up, four Cable and Satellite, five the new people meters.
Novid said:
That dont even sound right. I need magic and swords and human drama, not another Law and Order Vampire Freaks But still, im in the camp thats says dont change the horse when everybody else is ****ing up the food supply
Dude, I have no idea what you're even trying to say or prove here. Grey's? Star Trek? Horse and the Food Supply? I'm just totally missing everything here, it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Here's a link to a piece I wrote on why Jericho and Heroes will, eventually, suffer the same fate as Lost and start losing their viewers. And, as we've seen, it's true. And has nothing to do with horses.

Sci-Futility: Why Heroes and Jericho will End Up Just Like Lost

I'm surprised New Adventures of Old Christine wasn't picked up for a full season. I find it funnier than most of CBS's comedies, and I heard it was getting ok ratings.

aparisi2274

Not sure if this was posted, but here ya go:

• Fox renews "24" for two more seasons
• Star Kiefer Sutherland signed through 2009
• "We're re-creating the series," executive producer says
• Show getting new cast, moving out of Los Angeles

Novid

Banned
Memles said:
Dude, I have no idea what you're even trying to say or prove here. Grey's? Star Trek? Horse and the Food Supply? I'm just totally missing everything here, it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Here's a link to a piece I wrote on why Jericho and Heroes will, eventually, suffer the same fate as Lost and start losing their viewers. And, as we've seen, it's true. And has nothing to do with horses.

Sci-Futility: Why Heroes and Jericho will End Up Just Like Lost

I think it was Yahoo way back when that stated Lost was the next "Star Trek" As for the other things, lets just say I keep tabs on the media and their shingdigs, skeins and all there pseudo intellectual extenstinalism...

Im just saying dont change a horse midstream, i.e. stick with it another season or see why it does well in Fall but falls in spring.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TJ Bennett said:
Where's the excitement for Shark season 2?

I'm glad the show made it, it's been awhile since there has been a good law drama

Memles

The CW Announces... Analysis is mine, from here.

Mondays
8pm – Everybody Loves Chris
8:30pm – Aliens in America
9pm – Girlfriends
9:30pm – The Game

The CW sticks with its Monday comedy block this year, which I contend is a mistake. The shows did better on Sundays, when there was no other comedy-centric competition. On Mondays, they’re directly competing with CBS. Still, considering that this is a demographics play on their part, perhaps that doesn’t matter. The only change here is Aliens in America replacing All of Us.

Tuesdays
8pm – Beauty & The Geek
9pm – Reaper
It’s going to be a tough loss for The CW, Gilmore Girls; even in its decline, it held up well against the American Idol juggernaut. Beauty & the Geek suffered heavy declines in its second season, and the success of its third is not yet known (especially if it ends up against some tough competition). As a result, the ability for Reaper to build from that lead-in has to be questioned…especially since it’s facing off with Chuck, which has a similar target audience.

Wednesdays
8pm – America’s Next Top Model
9pm – Gossip Girl

There’s no surprises here: The CW combines their #1 hit with their #1 pilot to likely create their strongest night. Gossip Girl is in the same time period that The O.C. thrived in on FOX years back; we’ll see if Josh Schwartz’s new show has the same level of success. The show is getting an added boost today with word (From EW.com) that Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars) will be provided the voiceover narration for the series. VMVO’s live to see another day, even if the show does not.

Thursdays
8pm – Smallville
9pm – Supernatural

No change on Thursdays, which could be a smart move for these shows which held well in the face of newfound competition. The only concern here is for Supernatural, which now has The Office to contend with. With three huge 18-49 draws in the timeslot, Supernatural might become a DVR-heavy show.

Fridays
8pm – WWE Friday Night Smackdown!

Sundays
8pm – Life is Wild [New Series]
9pm – America’s Next Top Model [Repeat]

It’s really frustrating to see the network give up an hour of primetime to repeats, but the network is likely looking to cut costs. Makes sense, and the repeats perform well considering they’re repeats. The CW will also be airing a series of entertainment news magazines at 7pm on Sundays.

Fox and CW are up today for the upfronts. No news yet from either one aside from the lack of VM on CW and Fox's changes to 24 (see above.)

Edit: Scooped by memles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom