• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2007-2008 network upfront and renewals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memles said:
Heh, sorry. Bored at work = Crazily refreshing Variety.
No worries - same story for me here. I just find it funny that the thread had been dormant since last night, and then suddenly we both posted at almost the exact same time...

Solo

Apparently we wont know the true fate of VM until mid June. Its not at the upfronts, but that doesnt mean it wont appear at midseason, should the CW like the script for FBIVM.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Solo said:
Apparently we wont know the true fate of VM until mid June. Its not at the upfronts, but that doesnt mean it wont appear at midseason, should the CW like the script for FBIVM.
I will be shocked. not making any mention of it while simultaneously mentioning mid-season pickups does not bode well for the show. At this point it feels like the 11th hour deals for Arrested Development all over again :(

Memles

Solo said:

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath: with two reality shows, maybe even three, set for midseason, and One Tree Hill (With its own Flash Forward reboot) there as well, there's really no spot for Veronica Mars at all.

I almost wish that CBS would run out of drama pilots and agree to test drive Veronica: FBI. I figure that, as a procedural FBI drama, the show would have a chance on the big network.

borghe said:
I will be shocked. not making any mention of it while simultaneously mentioning mid-season pickups does not bode well for the show. At this point it feels like the 11th hour deals for Arrested Development all over again :(
Yeah, that's the same way I feel about it. The typical network song-and-dance to appease fans before quietly killing it when they think no one is looking over the summer. I really hope FBIVM works out - sounds like a great concept and I would love for them to continue the series, but I'm pretty skeptical at the moment.

Solo

As Ive said a lot of times before - Im fine with the show ending, and in fact, am glad it is. But what I am NOT okay with is that they shot the season finale long before the cancellation, so it presumably wasnt intended as a series finale, and wont offer any sort of a satisfactory conclusion.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Memles said:
The only change here is Aliens in America replacing All of Us.

Sundays
8pm – Life is Wild [New Series]
9pm – America’s Next Top Model [Repeat]

It’s really frustrating to see the network give up an hour of primetime to repeats, but the network is likely looking to cut costs. Makes sense, and the repeats perform well considering they’re repeats. The CW will also be airing a series of entertainment news magazines at 7pm on Sundays.

-_-

it's obvious CW doesn't care about ratings. All Of Us was getting better ratings than The Game which is a cluster**** of a comedy.

I've already said my peace about what should be at the 7pm Sunday slot.

The Fox Press Release

FOX PRIMETIME SCHEDULE: FALL 2007 (All Times ET/PT)

MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM PRISON BREAK
9:00-10:00 PM K-VILLE

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM NEW AMSTERDAM
9:00-10:00 PM HOUSE

WEDNESDAY
8:00-8:30 PM BACK TO YOU
8:30-9:00 PM 'TIL DEATH
9:00-10:00 PM BONES

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER?
9:00-10:00 PM KITCHEN NIGHTMARES

FRIDAY
8:00-9:00 PM THE SEARCH FOR THE NEXT GREAT AMERICAN
BAND (working title)
9:00-10:00 PM NASHVILLE (working title)

SATURDAY 8:00-8:30 PM COPS
8:30-9:00 PM COPS
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICA'S MOST WANTED: AMERICA FIGHTS BACK
11:00 PM-MIDNIGHT MADtv
MIDNIGHT-12:30 AM TALK SHOW WITH SPIKE FERESTEN

SUNDAY
7:00-8:00 PM THE OT (NFL post-game)
8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
8:30-9:00 PM KING OF THE HILL
9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY
9:30-10:00 PM AMERICAN DAD

FOX PRIMETIME SCHEDULE: BEGINNING JANUARY 2008 (All Times ET/PT)

MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM K-VILLE (January)/PRISON BREAK (Spring)
9:00-10:00 PM 24

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM AMERICAN IDOL
9:00-10:00 PM HOUSE

WEDNESDAY (January)
8:30-9:00 PM 'TIL DEATH
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICAN IDOL

WEDNESDAY (Spring)
8:30-9:00 PM THE RETURN OF JEZEBEL JAMES (working title)
9:00-9:30 PM AMERICAN IDOL Results Show
9:30-10:00 PM 'TIL DEATH

THURSDAY
9:00-10:00 PM CANTERBURY'S LAW

FRIDAY (Spring)
8:00-9:00 PM BONES
9:00-10:00 PM NEW AMSTERDAM

SATURDAY
8:00-8:30 PM COPS
8:30-9:00 PM COPS
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICA'S MOST WANTED: AMERICA FIGHTS BACK
11:00 PM-MIDNIGHT MADtv
MIDNIGHT-12:30 AM TALKSHOW WITH SPIKE FERESTEN

SUNDAY (Spring)
7:00-7:30 PM KING OF THE HILL
7:30-8:00 PM AMERICAN DAD
8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
8:30-9:00 PM FAMILY GUY
9:00-10:00 PM THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES

Costanza

Banned
I'm really disappointed with practically every new show announced. This year is gonna suck for TV.

Also, American Dad going to 7:30 in the Spring? That's not good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Not sure if this was posted, but here ya go:

• Fox renews "24" for two more seasons
• Star Kiefer Sutherland signed through 2009
• "We're re-creating the series," executive producer says
• Show getting new cast, moving out of Los Angeles

... Please tell me that doesn't mean NONE of the cast is coming back.

Otherwise, it looks like
Chloe is going to die
in the finale.

I mean the CAST isn't the problem. Chloe and Morris are cool, I really like Doyle now so I hope they at least keep him..

Memles

omg rite said:
BTW, someone explain this VM:FBI stuff. Is that the actual title, is it like a new show?

Someone explain.

In an attempt to save the show, creator Rob Thomas pitched a spinoff of sorts to the network: flash forward a few years and have Veronica in the FBI, or at least FBI Academy (This was never made entirely clear). The network asked him to prepare a short clip of what the show could look like, and apparently that presentation went over well. The show would likely carry over only Veronica and maybe a few other characters, but it's all theoretical.

The show was not picked up for The CW's fall schedule, but rumours have the network dragging it out until Thomas finishes a script for the FBI spinoff and the network can decide from there.

omg rite said:
BTW, someone explain this VM:FBI stuff. Is that the actual title, is it like a new show?

Someone explain.

It was the idea to reboot the show from the creator to save it from cancellation. Skip ahead in time and give it more of a procedural tone. Supposedly the network liked the idea but not enough to save it apparently as its not on the fall schedule.

Costanza

Banned
K-Ville sounds horrible. What the ****? Anthony Anderson playing a cop in New Orleans. Why would anyone watch this?

They think this is going to do better than Drive?

FoneBone

BenjaminBirdie said:
No love for Traveler?
...but what does that have to do with the fall schedule?

Pushing Daisies looks promising, as does Dirty Sexy Money (though really just for the cast, at least for me). Bionic Woman will probably suck, but I'm interested enough to watch the first couple episodes. I'm actually looking forward to The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I'm a total sucker for anything Terminator-related... and knowing Fox, even if it's good, it'll last about 3 episodes.

Oh, and as was pointed out on the SA Forums: THE WAR AT HOME IS DEAD, PRAISE THE LORD.

White Man

Solo said:

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. If they just started this reimagining like 2 months ago, chances are they didn't really have enough content or lead time to be ready by this fall. I needs my Veronica Mars :(

THURSDAY

I see Fox is putting forward their best for primetime thursday

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ied657c1357e5e60e4ca188056cb2e3da
NEW YORK -- Saying goodbye to veterans "Gilmore Girls" and "7th Heaven" and cult favorite "Veronica Mars," CW presented to Madison Avenue the fruits of its first full development season.

"Last season it was about establishing the network," said Dawn Ostroff, entertainment president at the CW. "This season it's about creating new hits that will better define the CW."

The network's hopefuls include four new scripted series -- dramas "Gossip Girl," "Reaper" and "Life Is Wild" and the comedy "Aliens In America." They join a fall schedule featuring more unscripted fare than CW and its predecessors UPN and the WB have ever lined up.

Girl group Pussycat Dolls, subject of one of CW's three returning reality series, opened the network's upfront presentation at Madison Square Garden.

The other two CW returning reality series, hits "America's Next Top Model" and "Beauty and the Geek," will be used as launching pads for two of the network's new dramas : "Reaper" and Josh Schwartz's Upper West Side-set "Gossip Girl," respectively.
Advertisement

At a news conference after the presentation, Ostroff confirmed that "Veronica Mars" has solved her last case in her current incarnation but that no final decision has been made on a proposed new version of the series by creator Rob Thomas in which the title character, played by Kristen Bell, is at the FBI Academy.

While her show was not present at CW's upfront presentation, Bell made an appearance of sorts as the narrator of the "Gossip Girl" clips shown to advertisers.

Another appearance, of a baby black leopard, drew a lot of "awwws" from the audience. The animal, which Ostroff cradled onstage, accompanied the cast of CW's new drama series "Life Is Wild," about a blended family that moves from New York City to a lodge in South Africa.

"Wild" will run Sundays at 8 p.m. after two new alternative shows at 7 p.m., "Online Nation" (showing off the best in user-generated content on the Web) and "CW Now," a news-entertainment show from the producers of "Extra."

No changes were made to Thursday or Friday night lineups, with "Smallville" and "Supernatural" remaining as well as WWE's "Friday Night Smackdown." Monday also will remain mostly the same, with the new sitcom "Aliens in America" following "Everybody Hates Chris."

Returning in midseason is "One Tree Hill," which this season left its characters graduating from high school. "One Tree Hill" will pick up next season four years into the future, after the characters have graduated college. Ostroff said the move was done in consultation with the show's producers, who recognized that the actors don't look like high schoolers anymore.

" 'One Tree Hill' is going to take a big turn, creatively, by skipping four years ahead," Ostroff said.

Also slated for midseason are "Crowned: The Mother of All Pageants" about mother-daughter teams vying in a beauty pageant, and "Farmer Wants a Wife," about a bunch of city women who vie for the heart of a farmer who wants to get married.

The complete schedule follows.

Monday
8:00 p.m. Everybody Hates Chris
8:30 p.m. ALIENS IN AMERICA
9:00 p.m. Girlfriends
9:30 p.m. The Game

Tuesday
8:00 p.m. Beauty and the Geek
9:00 p.m. REAPER

Wednesday
8:00 p.m. America's Next Top Model
9:00 p.m. GOSSIP GIRL

Thursday
8:00 p.m. Smallville
9:00 p.m. Supernatural

Friday
8:00 p.m. Friday Night Smackdown!

Sunday
7:00 p.m. ONLINE NATION
7:30 p.m. CW NOW
8:00 p.m. LIFE IS WILD
9:00 p.m. America's Next Top Model (repeats)

jamesinclair said:
THURSDAY

I see Fox is putting forward their best for primetime thursday

Kitchen Nightmares is a Gordon Ramsey cooking show in England, I'm guessing they're doing an American version. Could be entertaining, actually.

More on the VM situation from Aint-it-Cool...

Aint-it-Cool said:
Something interesting from The Hollywood Reporter’s Friday morning story on the Thursday CW upfronts:
At a news conference after the presentation, [CW entertainment president Dawn] Ostroff confirmed that "Veronica Mars" has solved her last case in her current incarnation but that no final decision has been made on a proposed new version of the series by creator Rob Thomas in which the title character, played by Kristen Bell, is at the FBI Academy.
This would seem to be confirmed by a report from TV Guide's Michael Ausiello:
The press conference is over. I tackle Dawn just as she tries to escape and I ask her to level with me. Is Veronica dead? "Veronica Mars is over, but we're talking about something else. I don't know if it's going to be anything. I'm being honest with you. It could come back in some form, but I don't know what form that would be." She confirmed that the deadline to make a decision is "somewhere around" the June 15 date I referred to previously.
"Veronica" mastermind Rob Thomas' subsequent comments to Ausiello, however, would seem to shed more doubtiness:
"I assume that anything Dawn would be talking about in the realm of a Rob-Kristen project would involve a new from-scratch pilot as they don't have me in a deal, and they'll lose Kristen in a couple of weeks."
The final 2-hour episode of Veronica’s “current incarnation” hits The CW next Tuesday.

Ripclawe said:
Law and Order: CI is moving to USA network...

Ahh, nice...So pumped for the new episodes of Law & Order: CI. I've been a long-time L&O fan, for the past few years...and Criminal Intent has definitely become my favorite.

Sooo glad they decided to bring it back and are just moving it over to USA. Can’t wait for the new season October 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom