• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2007 was the year of the FPS, which 2007 FPS game was your favorite? (Big thread)

The Best FPS game from 2007?

• Total voters
2007 is what I like to call the biggest year in FPS history. The popularity of the genre came to ahead in 2007 giving us a crazy amount of quality FPS games tackling broad demographics or niches, and we ended up with a lot of variety as a result. After 2007 certain features and mechanics would consolidate into the games we have today, but in 2007 we have so much goodness that we will likely never see such quantity in quality and variety ever again.

This will be a hard decision, but if you had to pick your favorite FPS game from 2007 what would it be?

There are many many quality FPS games during this time, there may be some that I never even played (mention it in a post below and I'll add it to the second list), let's go over a few of the more popular games:

HALO 3
Halo-3.jpg

CRYSIS
Crysis-1-PC-Game-Free-Download.jpg

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
s-l1600.jpg

HALF-LIFE 2: Episode 2
812JpvLeWsL._SL1500_.jpg

CALL OF DUTY: Modern Warfare

BIOSHOCK

TEAM FORTRESS 2
team-fortress-2.jpg

The DARKNESS
DtlnEGVWwAAUZNz.jpg

METROID PRIME 3: Corruption
81%2B5h-gGXQL._SY450_.jpg

-
-
Below are some of the other games that released this gen, please vote "other" if you liked any of these games and post which one you liked below, as onl 10 options can be in a poll. Also if there are games you think are quality missing in this list mention it in a post and I'll add it on. Because there were just so many great FPS games in 2007.
Other games:

• Clive Bakers Jericho
  • Black Site: Area 51
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Portal
  • Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
  • TimeShift
  • Metal of Honor: Airborne
  • Metal of Honor: Vanguard
  • ShadowRun (2007)
  • Metal of Honor Heroes
  • Hour of Victory
  • Soldier of Fortune: Payback
  • Pain-Killer: Overdose
  • GRAW2: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

Blood Borne

Among that list, I’ll have to go with Stalker. My favourite FPS of all time was released a year earlier, Black. Yes that’s right, Black (2006) is the best FPS ever. Screw the haters.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Bioshock is the best game of 2007 but not the best shooter. best shooter is COD i mean it spawned a whole new genre in gaming.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm going with STALKER, sick game. Now gimme a 2006 list so I can vote for my favorite FPS of all time, Prey :p

klosos

I voted Crysis, i know the original game is now know for being a benchmark and such, but i think people forget actually how good that game was.

Also great thread Afro Republican, i appreciated the effort you put into the OT, well done mate

Last edited:

Lucumo

Crysis, Stalker and Call of Duty 4 would definitely be my favorites. It's pretty hard to compare them though as they are rather different.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Modern warfare is what I played the most cause it was so easy to drop in and out of but Rainbow Six Vegas was my favorite hands down.

eot

Banned
If you'd asked me in 2007 then I'm quite sure Crysis was the game that was on my mind most, few games have ever looked that good for their time, but I have to say that I never really loved it as a game (I had a lot more fun with Far Cry).

Episode 2 is the best Half-Life 2 has ever been and I'd put it in the upper part of this list. The scripted physics events were damn impressive, and it was the first time since Half-Life that the combat in those games was good. The new Hunter enemy they added was great. It's been a long time since I played it but I feel like it might hold up okay.

Team Fortress 2 never grabbed me, I was a TFC fan and just never liked the basics of how TF2 plays.

Both BioShock and Modern Warfare failed to live up to the hype for me. Even at the time, I thought the scripting and linearity in MW was overbearing, and that kept me from enjoying it. BioShock I didn't get on with because it felt so watered down (no pun intended) compared to the immersive sims it supposedly stemmed from, the setting and art style never appealed to me, and I was never immersed in its setting. I also think it's a bad shooter, with an awful last 3rd.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is the FPS of this year for me. Unlike BioShock, it drew me into the world like few games have. Going into those underground areas was utterly horrifying and extremely memorable. The ruined landscapes and buildings have a weird beauty to them, and the atmosphere is some of the best any game has produced. There's a lot of mechanical shit you have to deal with, but to me the messy inventory system and the lack of streamlining fit the game perfectly. It's a game a western studio would never have made, and it's better for it, but it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Bioshock is the best game of 2007 but not the best shooter. best shooter is COD i mean it spawned a whole new genre in gaming.

I went with Halo 3 as best shooter but agree Bioshock is the better game overall and one of my all-time favorite games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Metroid Prime 3 and Portal are the ones I like. Unsprurpisingly, those are the two that are not shooters.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Without even having to look at the name of the original poster I'm gonna guess this is an Afro Republican thread?

Off of title, I'm gonna say Crysis. It did a lot of things that games even now don't do.

edit: I WAS RIGHT, dude, do you just come up with poll ideas and that's it?

Last edited:

Diddy X

Halo 3 is my most played game ever, Cod 4 was also very good but Halo 3 is a better game overall IMO.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Without even having to look at the name of the original poster I'm gonna guess this is an Afro Republican thread?

Off of title, I'm gonna say Crysis. It did a lot of things that games even now don't do.

edit: I WAS RIGHT, dude, do you just come up with poll ideas and that's it?
I wish a potential tag would display ''Buzzfeed reject'' or something to that nature. It is so fitting.

I would go with Crysis. But 2007 was a very dope year indeed. Stalker is particularly awesome for its amazing lighting.

OP also forgot the easy winner, and not because it features my name in it:

51q%2BeQ%2BT0EL._SY445_.jpg

Its not a bad game really, if you dig Moorhuhn in first person.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Tough choice but I'd have to say COD 4 just edged out Halo 3 for me. I put a lot of hours into that game..

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I voted Crysis, i know the original game is now know for being a benchmark and such, but i think people forget actually how good that game was.

This. People reaaalllllyyyy forget how good the game actually plays and the level of freedom and choice at your disposal at any given time. You could play it stealth and avoid enemies, stalk them like batman, go guns blazing, using the environment. There was a ton of nuance to the game that I think gets overlooked because at the time it was just a draw droppingly good looking game. It STILL looks great even today with just a few minor tweaks and is a lot of fun to actually play. I also loved how depending on the difficulty one would pick it would change how the enemies behaved and even the language they spoke. Awesome game.

eot

Banned
Also launched in 2007: Perseus Mandate, which has the best FEAR combat although everything else is a mess. And CellFactor :messenger_tears_of_joy:
People seem to hate on Perseus Mandate a lot. While I don't love it by any means I thought it was better than Extraction Point.

Mooreberg

BioShock for campaign, COD4 for multiplayer. I wish things had gone differently for Quake Wars and UT3, but the market was too crowded. Considering how Brink, Dirty Bomb, Lawbreakers, etc. fared in the decade since, it seems like entire subcategories of multiplayer shooters were annihilated.

Fbh

Halo 3.
I played the multiplayer for a long time, went to a couple of local tournaments and made a few friends through that game.

I really miss the slower paced, no Loadout, no perks and abilities MP experience that it provides.

Campaign was pretty fun too, specially in coop

Shifty

Confident in my vote for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

It's as eurojank as it gets, but is by far the most interesting simulation on offer here.

And what genre is that, choose what weapon you spawn with...lol?
I personally pick Halo 3 but thats probably because i was into eSports around that time and CoD4 was a joke when it came to being considered competitive.

Diddy X

I remember the debate on which of the two games is better was everywhere

Xbox 360 was the main online/fps console,

Crysis was mindblowingly good-looking, IIRC no PC could render it at 1080p/60fps at the time it came out.

aEku

no wonder for me that cod leads in front of tf2, it had a big crowd but because it was not free2play back then, f2p started some years later.

Last edited:

xviper

Halo 3 of course, it had a masterpiece of a SP and MP

Bioshock had a masterpiece of a SP

COD 4 had a masterpiece of a MP

The best FPS in 2007 was 60. Because 30 looks like a slideshow in comparison.

I was playing Goldeneye more in 2007 than any of these games. Please add Goldeneye to your list.

As I'm sure alot of people in 2007 were, I was mesmerized by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Not knowing that this would become a trend setter for all future shooters at the time with its stunning visuals, fluid controls, quick movements, in-depth perk system and a progression system thats still being used today, it was very clear that this game at the time was one of the best all around shooters available.

Fast forward to the present day, Call of Duty still has crazy support from everyone's wallet, to me it seems like more of the same and I personally don't enjoy when the game pushes into the future, so aside from Call of Duty: WWII I've been out for awhile. It has paved the way for other superb and underrated shooters like Titanfall 2.

My fav in the Call of Duty series will likely always be Call of Duty: World At War which was a great variation of small maps/ larger maps, included tanks and Nazi Zombies for the first time, its unlikely but heres to hoping for a remaster one day.

Halo 3 of course, it had a masterpiece of a SP and MP

Bioshock had a masterpiece of a SP

COD 4 had a masterpiece of a MP

This. I pretty much came to say this, but i still enjoyed COD 4's single player campaign so much, I made sure i finished all the levels on Veteran, including that Epilogue on the airplane. Man this game was amazing. I didn't even own an Xbox 360 or PS3 during the time but playing it at a friend's home made me work hard to save every penny I got for it. Good times!

Bioshock is still among one of my favorite games of all time.

Paasei

For me CoD4 wins it easily. It's even one of my all time favorite games. Got many fond memories of that game when promod saw the light of day, till the very end. Even managed to compete at LANs and win a couple of prizes.

It's also the last great CoD game and so far that is still true. The PC releases of these games simply haven't been the same since in terms of features and options.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Metroid Prime 3..

And not because it's the best Metroid Prime, but because Metroid Prime is the best.

V4skunk

Banned
Crysis followed by Halo3 for me.
People say Crysis sucks, but in reality the first half of the game was amazing. The physics and sandbox gameplay still is amazing today.
The later half of the game, although not bad did let the game down.

Top Bottom