• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008: Gears of War 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4?

Gears of War 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4?

• Total voters
Neither are in my top games of 2008 but of the two, I much preferred Gears of War 2 over MGS4. Gears of War 2 was the best game in the series. Interestingly I vastly prefer Metal Gear Solid V to both.

Best Game in 2008 for me was Fallout 3 by the widest of margins, even counting GTAV in the mix. I spent more time in Fallout 3 than I had ever spent in a game to that point, and I still recall everything in the game. The stupid vision of the future based on what people thought the future would be back in the 1950s, but then nuked into a wasteland, is one of my favorite settings in gaming. The crazy part is I had no idea what it was, I just saw my cousin playing it and he showed me a glimpse of the layers of choice I had in the game. I had to buy it and I played it almost exclusively for an entire year.

Last edited:

Killer8

MGS4. Gears of War 2 is probably the more consistently better all rounder, but MGS4 felt like a massive deal at the time. In terms of its quality, for as low as its lows were, its highs were absolutely exceptional. It also seems to have joined that club of games where the praise was astronomical at release but opinions downloaded from the internet have eroded its reputation over the years.

Mgs4 for me.
Gears 2 was good sure, but mgs4 wins. Whilst not as good as mgs 1 to 3 it was still a good entry to the mgs series. Far more of a mgs game than 5 was.

FingerBang

MGS4 was such a fantastic game, I loved every second of it. Now it's unplayable because of its controller scheme, but it was such an epic masterpiece. Yes, bloated, yes fanservice at its best (or worst), but still a masterpiece in my heart. Not even close.

That said, GoW2 is the best in the series for me. I loved the first one, but 2 was leagues ahead. Also, it's still playable today.

Bragr

Banned
It's a goddamn shame, Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 are a bit stiff to control, but it's because of their time, so it's understandable.

4 however, can't use that excuse, it should be smoother to play. It aged three times as fast as it should in the few years after it was released.

Corndog

Banned
MGS4 destroys Gears - any of them.
Gears 2 is the worst of the series though. Boring with terrible pacing.

What is with all these weird ass comparisons from this op poster?
Whats next - Low G Man vs Space Taxi?
Space taxi was awesome. First game I ever played with spoken words.
Archon was cool too.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Turning point for the industry? Always hyperbole.

Wipeout HD was my favorite exclusive that year. I was glad the series was still alive. My favorite game overall was GTA IV.

Crayon

There are good third person shooters. Gears 2 is a great one. But there is only 1 mgs4. Getting that game home and playing straight through the night with headphones was a fever dream. Unforgettable. Love that game.

Last edited:
There are good third person shooters. Gears 2 is a great one. But there is only 1 mgs4. Getting that game home and playing straight through the night with headphones was a fever dream. Unforgettable. Love that game.
Yeah, I'll never forget those sweet 10-20 min install times at 0230 in the morning.

Alan Wake

Gears 2 is still a great game. I played the first three games last year, and the first one has aged quite a bit. Gears 2 and Gears 3 are still really, really good.

I bought the MGS4 PS3 bundle when it came out so it definitely intrigued me. But the answer is Gears of War 2 no contest - amoung my most played games of all time, right up there with Halo 3.

I owned both at the time and it's Gears 2 all day for me. Amazing campaign , but Horde mode was king for me. Had 2 plasmas side by side with my 2 360's system linked up and had some epic sessions with friends. So much fun.

Still the best Horde mode because there was no real base building except getting good guns and shields from enemy drops. It's simplicity is what made it great , just dropping you in with little and making you survive.

The Alien

Banned
Haha, Gears 1 didn't even have Horde and had 2 player Co-Op campaign.

Also you mustn't have played much Gears 1 or Gears 2 MP (at least seriously) because Gears 2 MP was broken on launch for a long time (Remember smokes? Of course you don't) and competitive players hated the game compared to 1.

All the DLC maps were garbage except for the ones they brought from 1.

If you haven't played MGS4 at least pretend you have a clue about what Gears 2 was like back in the day.
Aren't u just a bright ray of sunshine.

Gears of War 1 was one of of my most played games when the 360 came out, so naturally Horde mode and it's addictiveness got me hooked on the 2nd one a lot more.

Eddie alt?

Thinking Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Kvally

Banned
Gears of War 2 for me. It was more fun than MGS4. However, I loved the story MGS4 (as fucked up as it is) more than Gears 2. But I played and loved both, so I am good to go :)

Kuranghi

I remember I finally bought my PS3 when I was really drunk after a full day of drinking, got it home and set it up and then the install times for MGS 4 were so fucking long lol, we were all stoners anyway though so we literally smoked along with Snake and made the install last even longer because our perception of time slowed down so much.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Gears 2. It’s the best gears game. Metal gear solid 4 is one of the weakest metal gear games, if not the most weak.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
MGS4 killed the franchise for me. The game is absolute TRASH. Replayed it a decade later just to be sure and yeah, it’s still trash.

Gears 2 for me all day, even though I didn’t play it as much as the first. Campaign was rad but the multiplayer wasn’t even close as fun as Gears 1.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Both games could be played ad nauseam, so I really wish that we would get legendary games like that in this gen.

Lol no. Naughty dog hold that crown comfortably
I think what I meant by "defined" is that before the release of MGS4, there was this whole thing about the PS3 not being powerful enough, having bad ports, etc etc. But MGS4 defined what could be "possible" on the console, people can debate on wether story, gameplay was not up to their expectations, but I think no one can deny that MGS4 technically was something way ahead of anything done on consoles on the year 2008. Naughty Dog consolidated that on 2009 October, but MGS4 gave PS3 a chance to fight back

OCASM

Banned
I think what I meant by "defined" is that before the release of MGS4, there was this whole thing about the PS3 not being powerful enough, having bad ports, etc etc. But MGS4 defined what could be "possible" on the console, people can debate on wether story, gameplay was not up to their expectations, but I think no one can deny that MGS4 technically was something way ahead of anything done on consoles on the year 2008. Naughty Dog consolidated that on 2009 October, but MGS4 gave PS3 a chance to fight back
MGS4 technically is nothing special. Looks like a souped up PS2 game. Gears 2 smokes it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
MGS4's pacing was just dreadful. I don't remember enjoying any of it beyond the first couple of hours where it still allowed you to actually play it.

Gears of War 2 was excellent, building upon the foundations laid by the original in every way possible.

Last edited:
The xboxers will say gears, sonyers will say mgs. I don't like shooters on controller (despite playing them like that sometimes), and still hold a grudge against MS for not porting gow 2 and 3 to pc.

MGS4 all the way, an amazing closure to a legendary saga (and yes, it has too many cinematics) . Gears is a fun shooter, but to play the campaign once (cover shooters get repetitive imo), when in mgs4 you can try different approaches to every level (and attempting full stealth if you feel brave).
My perfect mgs game would be a mix of 4 and 5's gameplay, technology and level design (I'm a sucker for the octocamo and the remote drone).

Last edited:
Top Bottom