• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009 – The best year of Wii EVAR!! (Games pics and movies)

Hunahan

Banned
List definitely feels a little padded with question marks and curiously hopefulls, but I agree that in terms of third party support, the Wii is definitely on an upward slope.

For me, personally:

High interest:
Punch Out
- (Unless they really fuck this up, day 1)

Skeptical, but watching:
Muramasa
- (Odin Sphere was beautiful but deeply flawed / action looks a little bit too repetitive so far)
Mad World
- (looks quality, but I'm not sure this is my type of game)
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
- (Tri-Crescendo really botched their last game)
Arc Rise Fantasia
- (looks just a little bit...generic? Turn-based console RPGs are a dying breed, however)
Let's Tap
- (Might get old really fast?)
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
- (how much new content?)
Another Code R
- (first one felt like it lacked a bit of...substance)
Endless Ocean 2: Beautiful Ocean
- (are there any big differences? I liked the first one, but I'm not sure I need....more....so soon)
Sin and Punishment 2
- (thought the first was a little janky, but I have high hopes for Treasure to fix it up)

...which is a pretty good list of candidates, but not really mindblowing. I would hope that once Nintendo starts discussing more of their 1st party plans it would get much better. Usually does.

Companion Cube said:
Capcom VS Tatsunoko - Release Date: TBA 2009 (December 2008 in Japan)

CvT is confirmed for a release outside of Japan?
nah. Don't hold your breath either.

Capcom vs. Tatsunoko would single-handedly rise the collective to a greater plain, but alas - I highly doubt a release outside of Japan will ever transpire, 2009 or not.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the OP and say "wishful thinking" rather than "trying to make the Wii's 09 lineup look better than it is," though.

Dascu

maniac-kun said:
i own a wii and i consider 2 of this games as AAA Sonic and Rock Band 2 the rest is like bad ps2 software
You honestly call something like MadWorld, Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Monster Hunter 3 "bad ps2 software"? Honestly? You may not like the genres of these games, but they sure as hell aren't bad games.

Sadist

At some people in this thread: :/

Can't wait for Mad World, House of the Dead Overkill, Murumasa, Arc RoP, Klonoa DtP, Sin & Punishment 2, Punch Out! and Fragile. I'll give Overlord Dark Legend a shot too.

Cygnus X-1

Stumpokapow said:
Treasure did not develop Punch-Out.
Cosmic Walker is developed by Gaia.
"Jinx" is not a company, Trace Memory R is developed by Cing.
Arc Rise Fantasia is developed by Image Epoch, not "Epoch".
Rune Factory Frontier is developed by Neverland, not Marvelous.
"Little King Story" is actually named Little King's Story
Dynamic Slash is developed by Sadlot
Fatal Frame 4 is absolutely not confirmed for any kind of stateside publication, and certainly not by Nintendo.
The Calling is not TBA 2009; it hasn't even confirmed to be an actual in-development game versus just a concept pitch.
Sky Crawlers is not confirmed for localization.
Spawn Smasher is published by Nintendo.
"Takt of Magic" is neither published by Ubisoft nor developed by Taito.
"Tales of Mothership" is not a tentative title; Namco is using the word "Mothership" to describe important 1st tier "Tales of" games.
Pikmin 3 is not TBA 2009, it's TBA.
That's not a picture from Red Steel 2.
You have no publishers listed for the two sports games that are clearly published by EA.
"Renegade Kid's Dracula" is not the actual name of the game. It's also not a code-name. It's also clearly developed by Renegade Kid.

Nice corrections. Sad for Pikmin 3.

-Kh-

Banned
maniac-kun said:
i own a wii and i consider 2 of this games as AAA Sonic and Rock Band 2 the rest is like bad ps2 software

Sin and Punishment 2 bad PS2 software?? :lol :lol :lol

Seems clear to me that those who do not follow Wii announcements are quick to claim that these games can't possibly be good, mostly because they know nothing about them.

For the rest of us in the know, 2009 does look promising. Third parties seem to be getting there.

Cowie

If you're not willing to take a chance on obscure wii games, you probably shouldn't own a wii. If you can just by a glance dismiss this entire lineup, If I were you, I'd consider selling my wii. But make sure you make a thread when you do it, because I desperately want to know if you do.

Sadist

gtj1092 said:
Are any of these games better than SMG?
Do they have to be? -_-'

Damn people, it's really annoying when everytime a Wii thread pops up certain people feel the need to dismiss it.

bryehn

Stumpokapow said:
Treasure did not develop Punch-Out.
Cosmic Walker is developed by Gaia.
"Jinx" is not a company, Trace Memory R is developed by Cing.
Arc Rise Fantasia is developed by Image Epoch, not "Epoch".
Rune Factory Frontier is developed by Neverland, not Marvelous.
"Little King Story" is actually named Little King's Story
Dynamic Slash is developed by Sadlot
Fatal Frame 4 is absolutely not confirmed for any kind of stateside publication, and certainly not by Nintendo.
The Calling is not TBA 2009; it hasn't even confirmed to be an actual in-development game versus just a concept pitch.
Sky Crawlers is not confirmed for localization.
Spawn Smasher is published by Nintendo.
"Takt of Magic" is neither published by Ubisoft nor developed by Taito.
"Tales of Mothership" is not a tentative title; Namco is using the word "Mothership" to describe important 1st tier "Tales of" games.
Pikmin 3 is not TBA 2009, it's TBA.
That's not a picture from Red Steel 2.
You have no publishers listed for the two sports games that are clearly published by EA.
"Renegade Kid's Dracula" is not the actual name of the game. It's also not a code-name. It's also clearly developed by Renegade Kid.

I think it's fair to say the post has padding, but Tenchu was well received amongst importers and domestic Japanese buyers who enjoyed the series before now, and Let's Tap was pretty universally well received at TGS. It's also not "Sega developed".

Thank you for pointing all this out so I didn't have to.

Hunahan

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
How many games released on any system are better than SMG in most people's opinion? What's the point of that question?

I think the point was about the "best year EVAR!!!" portion of the thread title.

Kilrogg said:
By the way, BDGame, are all the games listed here scheduled for release in the US/Europe?

Not at all.

Localizations of Trace Memory R, Cosmic Walker, Spawn Smasher and Dynamic Slash are completely unconfirmed, and the latter three should not be expected after what happened with Disaster and Fatal Frame. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is almost certainly not being localized. Monster Hunter 3 has not been announced for localization either, but has a reasonable chance. Fragile and Sky Crawlers also have no localizations announced, and should be considered in question.

Other corrections/additions: Spawn Smasher is developed by Artoon, published by Nintendo. You entirely forgot Line Attack Heroes, developed by Grezzo Games, published by Nintendo, and unannounced for localization. And minor corrections to Stumpokaw's corrections: it should be imageepoch and Sandlot, not Image Epoch and Sadlot.

From that list I am definitely buying next year:
Muramasa
Little King's Story
Rune Factory Frontier
Madworld
Sin & Punishment 2

and I am very interested in many of the others, especially the Nintendo published titles the US probably won't see.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
leroy hacker said:
Not at all.

Localizations of Cosmic Walker, Spawn Smasher and Dynamic Slash are completely unconfirmed, and should not be expected after what happened with Disaster and Fatal Frame.

Disaster was localized in Europe. That's why I advised him to indicate whether the games are to be released in the US, Europe, both or neither.

Cosmic Walker seems to be "non-Japanese" enough to warrant a localization. Not sure about Spawn Smasher.

I like BDGame's initiative, but it sure is lacking in terms of accuracy :/.

-Kh-

Banned
Sadist said:
The thread title should have been 2009 - Don't dismiss the Wii just yet

That would be worthy of a title change by mods, so we would have less trolling here, and more talking about the listed games.

gtj1092

Sadist said:
Do they have to be? -_-'

Damn people, it's really annoying when everytime a Wii thread pops up certain people feel the need to dismiss it.

So I take it you only post in Wii related threads and never talk about other consoles?

Acosta

Maybe you should consider to make this tread next year with the facts about the quality of the full catalogue. Right now is just arguing for the shake of it.

Haunted

Damn solid lineup.

Darklord said:
Shit, I don't like Japanese games. I must be a troll!

I find Japanese games pretty damn shit and boring to be honest. Times that by 10 for JRPG's(Chrono Trigger excluded). I'm just saying, the Wii has shit all unless you like Japanese games and it's true. At least with 360 and kind of PS3, you have a mixture of both.
:lol Fuck, if guys like you are any indication, I weep for the future of this industry.

Sadist

gtj1092 said:
So I take it you only post in Wii related threads and never talk about other consoles?
Sometimes PS3. Never in 360 threads. It's rather simple though. I personaly think the 360 is the most overrated console in the history of videogames. But, do I feel the need to tell that in 360 threads here on GAF or any other messageboard? No. Because you know why? It's not relevant and more importantly: a lot of people enjoy the console a lot and I respect that. So, I don't bother them. End of story.

Valtor

Banned
Umm guys, don't you realise that's only the games that we know about??

I mean, what do we know about 360/PS3 games of 2009? Not very much, as far as I know anyway....Now at this point in the 2009 year we know of all these games that are at least a little hyped. It's just a good indication of the quantity of good games coming in 2009....

Anyway, my 2 cents...

Ranger X

There's like 4-5 games I will buy right there when they launch it this list. Half of the other games are quite meh though. The fuck with listing sports games too?

later

Ranger X said:
There's like 4-5 games I will buy right there when they launch it this list. Half of the other games are quite meh though. The fuck with listing sports games too?

Well, these games will take full advantage of wii motionplus, which will be quite interesting. EA tennis, golf, ..

Threi

notag
here is a guide for reviewing wii lists

1. look through games (ignoring them) for a potentially crappy game
2. Post how because potentially crappy game is on the list therefore entire list is invalidated
3. ????
4. Profit

That actually makes my life alot easier :D

All 360 games until now are invalidated because of Gears of War, and all PS3 games are invalidated because of Killzone 2.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Unfortunate thread title, as it is just begging for trolls.

Solid list, though if your inclination is towards Western games you probably aren't that interested.

Cipherr

Year looks easily like the best year the Wii will have thusfar. Curbstomps 08 and even 07. Damn straight its going to get trolled.

maniac-kun said:

Perfect example of trying to hard. Such lunacy :lol

swerve

BDGAME said:
That my second topic with a list of the next games for Wii. I feel the need to create this second topic [because] my first topic not become good.

You thought it was a good idea to make another one because the last one ended badly?

Foolishly optimistic on GAF. There's no point trying. Find a Nintendo forum to enthuse about Nintendo.

Sin & Punishment 2, though. That'll be worth the 250 bucks right there.

Scrubking

schuelma said:

Solid list, though if your inclination is towards Western games you probably aren't that interested.

There is nothing wrong with the title. You ignore the fact that all Wii threads here are begging for trolls.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sure-buys for me:

• Tatsunoko VS Capcom (already pre-ordered it)
  • MadWorld
  • Sky Crawlers (only if it gets localised; I just have money for one import)
  • Fragile
  • Wii Sports Resort (and a second WiiMotion+ so I can play with my sister)
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Sin and Punishment 2
  • No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle

On the fence about:

• Little King's Story
  • Kizuna
  • Dynamic Slash
  • Cosmic Walker
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  • Trace Memory
  • Sonic and the Black Knight
  • House of the Dead: Overkill

So yeah, it is looking good, considering I only buy like five games every year.

Also, fuck the haters. Seriously.

ElyrionX

:lol

Only Endless Ocean 2 and NMH2 sounds interesting. Most of the other games on that list will probably end up being shovelware.

I'm still not buying a Wii.

ksamedi

I think Wii motion + will spark some Western high budget interest because it offers a lot of new gameplay options for the type of games Western de houses are know for.

And I think that Wii list is very interesting. Definitly better than 2008 and 2007.

Dascu

ElyrionX said:

Only Endless Ocean 2 and NMH2 sounds interesting. Most of the other games on that list will probably end up being shovelware.

MadWorld, Monster Hunter 3, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, House of the Dead, Sin and Punishment 2... All shovelware.

*throws wii out window*

yoopoo

Banned
schuelma said:
How so? Title is suitable. It says 'best Wii year'...doesn't compare it to other consoles.

I guess it would only offend folks who get all red faced when they see anything "Wii".

Mad World and Tasunoko appeal to me. I'm holding off buying a Wii though until one more megaton drops (New Zelda or Mario basically...so probably 3 years? :lol).

I'd also like to see someone fully take advantage of Motion +. Hopefully Red Steel 2?

schuelma

ElyrionX said:

Your ignorance is staggering. I can see people not being interested in some of these titles, but to call stuff like Little Kings Story probable shovelware is just stupid.

schuelma

yoopoo said:
How so? Title is suitable. It says 'best Wii year'...doesn't compare it to other consoles.

I guess it would only offend folks who get all red faced when they see anything "Wii".

For THIS message board, the title "best year of Wii EVAR" with exclamation points never had a chance.

Not really a criticism of the OP, if you know what I mean.

Scrubking

ksamedi said:
I think Wii motion + will spark some Western high budget interest .

No it won't. Western devs hate the Wii with all of their might and if they could single handedly make the console disappear they would.

ksamedi

Regulus Tera said:
Wait, Grand Theft Auto IV is beating Super Mario Galaxy? Really?

Pretty much shows how much reviews are worth these days. Both Galacy and GTA4 should be nowhere near OOT.

Top Bottom