• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
TheNatural said:
I like Fringe's chances of being renewed if it can keep up a decent rating, with all the shit shows FOX is coming out with. I hope the X-Factor bombs good and hard, and I know Terra Nova is doomed from the start.

I feel bad for you.

Shadow780 said:
The premise of Ringer sounds like a movie rather than a TV show, I don't know how it's expected to last more than 1 season.

And man Sarah got old :*(

We'll have to see what tonight's ratings (and subsequent) bring, but it will definitely get a full season. It's also been doing well with the repeats (same with H8R... grr), so who knows. If I had to bet now, I would say it would be renewed. But we have 21 episodes to go.

ivysaur12

Banned
Two and a Half men finished with a casual 10.7 in the finals.

Shit.

I know that the long term prospects are still up in the air, but, still. Holy shit. It almost beat Sunday Night Football by a full point.

ONE FOURTH OF ALL PEOPLE 18-49 WATCHING TV WATCHED THE TWO AND A HALF MEN PREMIERE.

Two Broke Girls actually went up to a 7.1

ivysaur12 said:
I feel bad for you.

Yeah. Fringe isn't coming back for a fifth season. Fans, a group in which I now place myself, should just be happy that it's getting four seasons with its terrible ratings.

Glad to see that The Playboy Club bombed. I may be an asshole, but the flops are always one of my favorite parts of the new season.

Averon

ivysaur12 said:
Two and a Half men finished with a casual 10.7 in the finals.

Shit.

I know that the long term prospects are still up in the air, but, still. Holy shit. It almost beat Sunday Night Football by a full point.

ONE FOURTH OF ALL PEOPLE 18-49 WATCHING TV WATCHED THE TWO AND A HALF MEN PREMIERE.

Two Broke Girls actually went up to a 7.1

I'm not surprised. The first episode post-Sheen was always going to make big numbers.

Ultratech

JLG- said:
H8R is so fucking bad.

Very bad. Although it makes for hilarious clips on The Soup.
Hope it gets burned though.

Ringer just seems ridiculous. Then again, I don't really watch CW or give a care about it.

I wouldn't mind NBC's shows if not for the fact they spammed the fucking hell outta the commercials for them for like 3-4 months straight. That shit GOT ANNOYING real quick.

As for any new shows I'd might care for?
Maybe The X-Factor, Person of Interest, and that's about it... :(
Homeland sounds pretty interesting, but I don't have Showtime.

Now that there's some numbers out there, let's see some bloodshed (i.e. cancellations)!

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Yeah. Fringe isn't coming back for a fifth season. Fans, a group in which I now place myself, should just be happy that it's getting four seasons with its terrible ratings.

Glad to see that The Playboy Club bombed. I may be an asshole, but the flops are always one of my favorite parts of the new season.

I mean, it sucks cause there a lot of super talented people at 20th who are working on the show. But with that pilot, it should never have been greenlit in the first place.

And let's be happy that we get a real ending to Fringe. Something most shows never get. Huzzah!

ivysaur12 said:
I mean, it sucks cause there a lot of super talented people at 20th who are working on the show. But with that pilot, it should never have been greenlit in the first place.

And let's be happy that we get a real ending to Fringe. Something most shows never get. Huzzah!

Agreed.

Plus, there are plenty of shows I wish only got four or five seasons. It's better to burn out than fade away and so on.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Agreed.

Plus, there are plenty of shows I wish only got four or five seasons. It's better to burn out than fade away and so on.

Exactly. I love these characters and their stories, and it'll be sad to see them go, but everything about this season screams photo finish. Not every show needs 100 episodes to go out on top - hell, most films can finish a story in what would amount to 2 or 3 episodes of television. Sometimes, less is more.

And there's my Lone Star OP! I am cursed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Finals for yesterday are out. Playboy Club's quarter hour drop offs were pretty standard, but those numbers are still abysmal.

2 Broke Girls did very well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Finals for yesterday are out. Playboy Club's quarter hour drop offs were pretty standard, but those numbers are still abysmal.

2 Broke Girls did very well.

The more pertinent question is what replaces The Playboy Club. SVU repeats?

How I Met Your Mother + 2 Broke Girls + Two and a Half Men + Mike & Molly is going to be BEASTLY. Especially since Melissa McCarthy has gotten so much more exposure recently with Bridesmaids and the Emmys.

Irish

ElTopo said:
I could only watch the first three minutes until I decided this was too bad. Did it get better s.t. the ratings are justified, or is it really as horribly bad as the first minutes made me believe ?

Eh, I thought it was pretty bad throughout. I really should have known better than to watch it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ivysaur12 said:
The more pertinent question is what replaces The Playboy Club. SVU repeats?

As you pointed out, both Smash and Awake would be ill-suited. So I guess either repeats (and SVU would probably be their best option) or I guess try to rejigger their schedule more broadly and move one of the rookies or try to change up their comedy scheduling or pull in a midseason comedy somewhere if any are ready.

so yeah, NBC is in a pickle for dramas.

Stumpokapow said:
As you pointed out, both Smash and Awake would be ill-suited. So I guess either repeats (and SVU would probably be their best option) or I guess try to rejigger their schedule more broadly and move one of the rookies or try to change up their comedy scheduling or pull in a midseason comedy somewhere if any are ready.

so yeah, NBC is in a pickle for dramas.

Dateline NBC crap I'd guess, if they don't go with repeats.

Playboy Club going down in flames. Well, I guess it was never really up to begin with?

I hope to live in a future devoid of Two and a Half Men but looking at those ratings, I don't think that'll happen anytime soon :C

Replicant

Why are we discussing Fringe's funeral when the season hasn't even started?

Yeah, I'm one of those hopeful fools who wish that miracle will happen and this show will get up to 6 seasons + a movie.

I hate Eddie Cibrian's smug yet wooden face ever since he showed up on "Sunset Beach". So knowing that "Playboy Club" tanking makes me giddy.

Replicant said:
Why are we discussing Fringe's funeral when the season hasn't even started?

Yeah, I'm one of those hopeful fools who wish that miracle will happen and this show will get up to 6 seasons + a movie.

I hate Eddie Cibrian's smug yet wooden face ever since he showed up on "Sunset Beach". So knowing that "Playboy Club" tanking makes me giddy.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah, I'm there with you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dead souls said:
Dateline NBC crap I'd guess, if they don't go with repeats.

TVBTN are floating that they would launch the new Brian Williams newsmagazine (like Dateline, 20/20, or 60 Minutes) whenever they cancel their first hour-long drama.

cory.

Banned
New Girl did really well in the household ratings, waiting on 18-49 but it's at least lasting to the end of the season if it doesn't crash.

Edit: 4.7 18-49 rating, it's definitely safe.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
TVBTN are floating that they would launch the new Brian Williams newsmagazine (like Dateline, 20/20, or 60 Minutes) whenever they cancel their first hour-long drama.

I was also wondering if they would move Harry's Law back to Mondays at 10, but that works too.

The entire CW should be on the chopping block. We're at the point where a 0.7 - 0.9 is just the norm - nothing is growing. Especially with numbers that low, there is a better chance for some growth. Pedowitz needs to rebrand the entire network quickly.

cory.

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I was also wondering if they would move Harry's Law back to Mondays at 10, but that works too.

The entire CW should be on the chopping block. We're at the point where a 0.7 - 0.9 is just the norm - nothing is growing. Especially with numbers that low, there is a better chance for some growth. Pedowitz needs to rebrand the entire network quickly.
it's like tenth place if you include cable networks. Just doesn't seem like Warner or CBS really cares.

ivysaur12

Banned
cory. said:
it's like tenth place if you include cable networks. Just doesn't seem like Warner or CBS really cares.

Is it? I know it's behind Univision and Ion, which would put it in 7th - I'd assume at this point it's hovering near TNT, FX, and ABC Family. Oh, and ESPN, of course. I have no idea what the margins are on the CW, but they definitely are in need of funds. They thought Entourage was going to be big two summers ago in syndication, and that blew up in their face. I can't imagine its a fun place to work, though I think KTLA does really well as an affiliate.

Pedowitz needs to rebrand. Greenblatt needs to make The Voice, Smash, and Awake work. Paul Lee needs to stop doing shit like greenlighting Work It.

What were the ratings for the WB and UPN?

Problem is the CW eliminated all shows aimed at males and at black people.

Now its One Tree Hill x 10

Should have kept a "black" night with the UPN shows like Girlfriends, Everyone Hates Chris etc.

CW does not need to go away, their programming needs to be encouraged. Wishsing death on people is a very sad sight. Vampire Diaries and Secret Circle are awesome. CW will soon make other cynical networks humble.

thefro

TheOddOne said:
I really liked Two Broke Girls, but can see it get cancelled. Still ratings have been solid.

It's in such a cushy timeslot that it won't get cancelled unless it's clearly a drag on the rest of the lineup.

cory.

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Is it? I know it's behind Univision and Ion, which would put it in 7th - I'd assume at this point it's hovering near TNT, FX, and ABC Family. Oh, and ESPN, of course. I have no idea what the margins are on the CW, but they definitely are in need of funds. They thought Entourage was going to be big two summers ago in syndication, and that blew up in their face. I can't imagine its a fun place to work, though I think KTLA does really well as an affiliate.

Pedowitz needs to rebrand. Greenblatt needs to make The Voice, Smash, and Awake work. Paul Lee needs to stop doing shit like greenlighting Work It.
USA is the biggest cable network, I think it might be ahead of Univision.

ivysaur12

Banned
Cause of time-zone shifted stuff, Glee premiered with a 4.0 and New Girl premiered with a 4.8. Shit. Even that 3.1 for Raising Hope is fantastic considering it matched last year with a higher lead-in.

Last year, Glee premiered with a 5.6, so it's down by a 1.6. Granted, that's the entire premiere audience of The Playboy Club (lol), but now it's only down 29% as opposed to 32%. Still, that's down further than it should. It's also down 13% from the season finale.

cory. said:
USA is huge.

Are we talking about total primetime numbers, total everything, or just original programming?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
Cause of time-zone shifted stuff, Glee premiered with a 4.0 and New Girl premiered with a 4.8. Shit. Even that 3.1 for Raising Hope is fantastic considering it matched last year with a higher lead-in.

Last year, Glee premiered with a 5.6, so it's down by a 1.6. Granted, that's the entire premiere audience of The Playboy Club (lol), but now it's only down 29% as opposed to 32%. Still, that's down further than it should. It's also down 13% from the season finale.

Good. I hope Glee's ratings continue to drop.

ivysaur12

Banned
New Girl also grew by the end of its half hours and lost little of its audience. A definite hit for Fox.

Glee, on the other hand, is now only a well-rated drama rather than a phenomenon. Sorry, Ryan Murphy.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
CW does not need to go away, their programming needs to be encouraged. Wishsing death on people is a very sad sight. Vampire Diaries and Secret Circle are awesome. CW will soon make other cynical networks humble.

It's not wishing death on people. At this point it's more like physician assisted suicide. The CW is clearly a terminal case and should just be put out of its misery. I don't see any realistic way they are going to grow their numbers.

Takao

Banned
Rafa=FedKilla said:

It's fine the channel exists and all, but its programming focus is entirely too one sided and niche to be a broadcast network. Go compete with ABC Family on cable or something.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
It's not wishing death on people. At this point it's more like physician assisted suicide. The CW is clearly a terminal case and should just be put out of its misery. I don't see any realistic way they are going to grow their numbers.

They need a heavy rebranding strategy since any online attempt for their depleting target aren't going to be profitable.

Not to mention that "show on the CW" is already going to alienate millions based off of the brand alone. It's the same with ABC Family and SyFy.

cory.

Banned
Exactly, they would have to pretty much launch as a brand new network, but with it being a joint venture, it's unlikely anything major will happen unless ratings are beyond dead.

ivysaur12

Banned
cory. said:
Exactly, they would have to pretty much launch as a brand new network, but with it being a joint venture, it's unlikely anything major will happen unless ratings are beyond dead.

We're now reaching the same issues that the WB had in its end days. Even their attempts such as Pepper Daniels and Jack & Bobby as being "broader" didn't work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lifetime cancels Roseanne Barr's reality TV peanut farm show. I don't think I'll edit it into the OP because typically people don't give a shit about Lifetime or about non-competition reality TV.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
X Factor debut is lukewarm, Free Agents and Up All Night tumble (1.3 and 2.3 respectively). Free Agents has gotta be at risk for early cancellation. Revenges debuts strong. Modern Family shows big YOY growth. Harry's Law debuts where it left off, which is to say poorly. Danson on CSI meets my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom