• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

the league was plenty violent in the late 80s and 90s, but they got away with it cause the brawlers werent covered in tats and the league wasnt associating itself with rap.
the NBA turned pussy around the time Iverson got super popular and was doing his "jewelz" thang.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Since there can never be enough Lakers news.
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
So, @DwightHoward is dunking in multiple teammates in 5-on-5-on-5 drills. Looks terrific, and large. Video later.

http://instagram.com/p/QX8mf8rOyW/

Q8OyQ.jpg

linsivvi

I see it as CD arguing that better officiating would fix the issue of flopping (via non-calls).

Except he's not realizing that the officiating is what it is. It can improve some, but it's not going to imrpove to the point where the problem is resolved. That's due to the limitations of the refs. They can only perform as well as their bodies and minds will allow.

That won't remove the flops that are slick enough to fool the refs. But a later review of the footage could result in a fine (or count towards a total) which would cause players to think twice.

I'd rather they go the route of calling techs in game, but that still leaves the stuff that isn't caught or called (on purpose or not). That route also gives refs, who already have issues keeping their impact on a game to a minimum, more power to wield.

So yeah, not sure what the perfect solution would be, but simply asking the refs to officiate better probably isn't going to be enough.

Like I said, even if the officials were competent they still couldn't properly call out all flops. Flopping has become so advanced and it's hard to tell without instant replay. Just look at that Van Gundy video posted in the last page. Both of the commentators had no idea it was a flop until they saw it in the replay, then it became obvious. We don't want constant stoppage of the game so the best solution right now is some kind of post-game punishment.

I heard professional contrarian Colin Cowherd today saying that it will stop guys from playing defense.

It's a slippery slope!

Man, I heard that blabbering idiot talking today with Stu Jackson also... Like seriously, does he believe what he was saying? He's in favor of flopping? What a foolllll

giri

My sources say that Dwight Howard is still a Laker and flopping may or may not be the most or least courageous thing you can do on a basketball court.

There's also a new, admittedly minor, movement to allow the players to wear capes, and use wands, during games.

SUPREME1

Banned
Like I said, even if the officials were competent they still couldn't properly call out all flops. Flopping has become so advanced and it's hard to tell without instant replay. Just look at that Van Gundy video posted in the last page. Both of the commentators had no idea it was a flop until they saw it in the replay, then it became obvious. We don't want constant stoppage of the game so the best solution right now is some kind of post-game punishment.

You're allowed 5 flop techs per season at $10,000 each.

On the 6th, you get fined $50,000 and for each one that follows for the remainder of the season, including playoffs. No reset for the playoffs which is when they are most harmful.

Post-game review by a panel of 3 officials, not under direct control of the NBA. Maybe 3 NCAA or FIBA officials? Majority rules.

Yeeeaaah. Miami funna cry.

FWIW I believe the post game flop stuff is correct and I said as much months ago on here that flops should be taken care of after the game. If a ref notices it in game, ignore it and keep going.

NBA is doing the right thing here, though I'd like to see an auto-suspension after 5 or so. And they better fucking enforce it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/940cbaf3-08e9-4dcd-9bc4-6dd8f159f774/?source=twitter
Dwight's full reply to Shaq on NBA.com preferring Bynum and Brook Lopez as centers: "I don't ...
care what Shaq says. Shaq played the game; he’s done. He’s done. It’s time to move on. He hated the fact that when he played, the older guys were talking about him and how he played. And now he’s doing the exact same thing. Just let it go. There’s no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. He was one of the most dominant players to ever play the game. Sit back and relax. You did yours. Your time is up. So I don’t really care. He can say whatever he wants to say.”

(Will you ever get on the same page with Shaq?) “What do we need to be on the same page for? … I have respect for him and what he did for basketball. That’s it. Like I said, he has already did his thing. He played. When my time is up, there’s going to be somebody else who can do everything I can do and probably do it better. Instead of me talking about him, I’ll do my job to try to help him get to where I’m at. I think that’s what guys who have done it before us should do.

(Did you ever have any relationship with Shaq?) “I don’t know what we’ve had.”

(Will you have a relationship with Kareem?) “Me and Kareem have talked. That’ll stay private.”

giri

FWIW I believe the post game flop stuff is correct and I said as much months ago on here that flops should be taken care of after the game. If a ref notices it in game, ignore it and keep going.

NBA is doing the right thing here, though I'd like to see an auto-suspension after 5 or so. And they better fucking enforce it.

I want to see it vigorously enforced.

In the first month of the season, i want to see every flop or flop related event nailed to the god damn wall. I want to see 10 - 20 fines a game. EVERY flop. fuck all the flopping shit.

And before people say it'll make the NBA rich, i believe all fines go to Charities.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
first drop of sweat is being drawn tomorrow afternoon

shameball is near!

ringless stars shouldnt talk about their betters like that to the media.
edit:
Iverson is a monster in 2k. but he dunks too much, I know Ivy was known to bang on folks early on, but in 01? Nah, i dont remember him doing it all that much,

linsivvi

Shaq needs to stop speaking on it. It's beneath him, Dwight isn't going to be Shaq-good ever.

Shaq is a true Laker and he's doing the right thing. He knows from experience that if he didn't speak up, it would eventually become a Kobe-Dwight feud over the "my team" thing. Now they can both hate Shaq. He's the true Kazaam that keeps on giving.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Shaq is a true Laker and he's doing the right thing. He knows from experience that if he didn't speak up, it would eventually become a Kobe-Dwight feud over the "my team" thing. Now they can both hate Shaq. He's the true Kazaam that keeps on giving.

Laker fans are cute

I worked on the set of Kazaam long time ago. Shaq was a prick. The film was dubbed "Kuzaam an asshole" by the crew. He wasn't a Laker then yet so there was no LA love for him. Some dudes said "You should play for LA!" and he was like "fuck LA!" Good times.

If you're black, then what am I?
I don't know, burnt extra crispy from that childhood fire. I'm a mind reader now?
I call bullshit
Oh, so I have to post "a certain way" to be black?

It's hilarious how black people bring down their own race for not "being black enough" or "acting white". People trying to pull that on my brothers and sisters after they came to this country from Ghana. Fucking amazing.

Nori Chan

I don't know, burnt extra crispy from that childhood fire. I'm a mind reader now?

Oh so I have to post "a certain way" to be black?

It's hilarious how black people bring down their own race for not "being black enough" or "acting white". People trying to pull that on my relatives after they came to this country from Ghana. Amazing.
racist

SUPREME1

Banned

Oh so I have to post "a certain way" to be black?

It's hilarious how black people bring down their own race for not "being black enough" or "acting white". People trying to pull that on my relatives after they came to this country from Ghana. Amazing.

But, you don't sound like your parents came from Ghana.

Somebody got sensitive real quick.

Man Im looking at some of the sports article from the early 2000s and I cant believe how many knucklehead writers were comparing frauds to Hall of Famers. everyone remembers Vince being compared to Jordan (but even with his athletic ability, one look at the man and you could tell he had no balls) but shit, I forgot Stackhouse (fucking Stackhouse!?) got them comparisons too. I love me some hindsight.

Cipherr

lmfao, this guy.

I don't have a problem with that. Harden is definitely a flopping ass dude from time to time. But I dont think that means he can't be in support of flopping getting the axe. I'm sure the Thunder as a team has suffered because of an opponent flopping before, so its not hard to imagine some of the more prominent floppers being in favor of rules against it. Might make him a bit of a hypocrite, but I dont really care, as long as they clean up this aspect of the game.

Watching Harden, CP3 and Ginobli flop all season is just out fucking rageous.

Top Bottom