• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 - A Year in Review

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Great write up, but you forgot three major things:

*The last guardian/ ign fiasco right before E3
*The Tomb Raider 2 xbone exclusive
* And of course one of the biggest troll moments ever in gaming. The FF7 reveal at PSX. Ouch!

I got the last one! That's in there! I think I'm missing a pokemon someone in there too, but that was plenty of work as is. :)

Some Nobody

Another week and we can drag 2014 behind a shed somewhere and put it out of its misery. Gamergate alone is reason enough for that. Then you add in more minor problems; the mess that is Destiny, the various complaints about "downgrading", the FUCKTON of delays, the games that required patches just to be not shit, and I don't know how you defend this year.

....And that's before you get to all the stuff that happened in the real world (civil unrest, the Internet basically consisting of a bunch of dicks who don't respect people's privacy). Miss me with how great all the indie games were. They'll be just as good next year, and there'll be more of them.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Thanks for the kind words! I like to make more elaborate threads, and the biggest worry, bigger than "maybe people will hate this," is "maybe no one will read this."

I'd love to do one in 2015 again if a) we still have videogames in the future and b) people are into the idea.

Thanks for the kind words! I like to make more elaborate threads, and the biggest worry, bigger than "maybe people will hate this," is "maybe no one will read this."

I'd love to do one in 2015 again if a) we still have videogames in the future and b) people are into the idea.

Well, not videogames where you have to use your hands. That's like a baby's toy!

jb1234

Thing is, if you never write it, then no one will ever read it.

Finalow

really nice idea and well done, Bagels. I enjoyed it, you should make one thread like this every year.

by the way,
you were far too good on destiny.

Ushay

Brilliant OP, I was engaged seriously.

Looking back 2014 started slow as fuck, but became too much to handle game-wise later in the year. Great year for me.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
really nice idea and well done, Bagels. I enjoyed it, you should make one thread like this every year.

by the way,
you were far too good on destiny.

I haven't actually played Destiny. I was pretty hyped for it, but that interest died off pretty fast. I know some people are enjoying it, anyway.

Brilliant OP, I was engaged seriously.

Looking back 2014 started slow as fuck, but became too much to handle game-wise later in the year. Great year for me.

It's interesting to me how widely divergent people's opinions are on 2014. There are people arguing for it being a miserable year in gaming and other people calling it one of the best ever. For all my snarkiness, it was a pretty good year to me. I adored Shadow of Mordor, I can't wait to play Dragon Age: Inquisition and FarCry4, I played some great indies, we got Suikoden II on PSN...tons of highlights for me!

Another kickstarter success, Wasteland 2, officially leaves beta status. Like so many other titles I financially backed and closely followed throughout development, the instant it was available, I rushed to add it to my backlog and immediately forget about it.

that one got me

dosh

It's interesting to me how widely divergent people's opinions are on 2014. There are people arguing for it being a miserable year in gaming and other people calling it one of the best ever. For all my snarkiness, it was a pretty good year to me. I adored Shadow of Mordor, I can't wait to play Dragon Age: Inquisition and FarCry4, I played some great indies, we got Suikoden II on PSN...tons of highlights for me!
It's been a pretty interesting year. Lots of dramas and scandals, and also a fuck ton of games, some of them genuinely surprising (in all honesty, who was anticipating anything even remotely decent from a new Wolfenstein or a puzzle game by Croteam?).

Great op btw, laughs and chuckles were had. I hope you do it again next year.

Khayam

Banned
FFX HD released for Vita and PS3 not PS4 (but it's coming there soon).

Apart from that, this was really good :D

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
FFX and X-2 remaster type fixed and entry added for Far Cry 4. Also swapped out the November banner, which bothered me.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Fantastic thread for a year where some pretty terrible things happened.

Still...great games! Great games! Everywhere!

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Highly anticipated PS4 title Infamous Second Son sees a worldwide release. I admit to being vaguely mystified by this game, in particular the decision to set an open world game in Seattle, of all places. It’s not that Seattle isn’t a wonderful, vibrant place, with, among other charms, its own Space Needle. It’s just that, as American cities go, Seattle is among the most Canadian. If you tell me a game is set in Miami, NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, I think, well sure, someone needs to get in there and clean up those mean streets. If you tell me the game is set in the mean streets of Seattle, on the other hand, my first thought is, what, were the mean streets of Minneapolis - St. Paul too hard to model?

vdms2Vo.gif

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Thank you thank you thank you!

I was going to add two entries last night, but I had forgotten them by the time I woke up. :(

I'm stoked the fountain pen thread guy is also an hilarious writer! Even if I did work on one of the lampooned games!

Excellent work, if you have any other of these laying around link 'em up.

RK128

2014 was quite the year for me :).

Early this year I was able to give DmC and Tomb Raider for my PS3, and I honestly was surprised at how much I enjoyed them :). Both were the 'black sheep' in their respective series...but I enjoyed a lot from each game despite the hate both got. DmC had really fun combat, a great visual style and I was surprised at how much platforming the game had (and it was quite fun :)). The 'coolness' of the story was just.....meh, but outside of that, I had a lot of fun with it :). Tomb Raider was something I really loved....on a gameplay, level design, and exploration level :l. The game nailed everything in those categories for me and I had a blast collecting everything....but I really hated the story :l.

I know both did not come out this year, but they were my highlights from PS3 PS+ this year (have a lot of favorite for the Vita, but I will talk about those latter). Then May came about....and the Persona sale went into effect. I got Persona 4 Golden, Persona 3 Portable and a few other games thanks to Gafs glowing praise for the tittles and.....I love the series now :').

Persona 4 Golden has to be one of my favorite Vita games I own and Persona 3 Portable was even better :D! I would talk a lot about why I love the games, but I feel that Gaf has praised the games to death at this point XD.

The one thing I look back on this year is the amount of Vita games I got; I got ALOT thanks to sales and other factors.

On the indie side, I really enjoyed Steamworld Dig and Fez was quite the time sink (didn't beat it but got about 70-80% completion by the time I stopped playing :)). Then the big free ones like Velocity X2 and Bending of Issac Rebirth were quite enjoyable as well; the former felt like Sonic with a gun (its a lot better then that sounds) while the latter was delightfully twisted (can't believe how this game even got on PSN; it is....quite something) and its rouge-like design is great.

Regarding other games, getting SAO: Hallow Fragment became my most played Vita game next to Persona 4 Golden and Guacamelee, Injustice Vita was better then I expected, Arkam Origins Blackgate was boring sadly :(, Maramusa was fun, Dragons Crown is a great game, and the many PS Classics and PSP games I got from sales and glitches (dat PSN Glitch early this year XD!; got all the Crash/Spryo games on my Vita finally) were great.

Lastly, this year closed out wonderfully with the purchase of the 2DS and Smash 3DS; finally back into the Nintendo world :). Love how the 2DS fells and it makes it the perfect Smash machine. Also got KH3D, Shinobi 3DS and Kirby Triple Deluxe; KH is a lot of fun despite a messy story, Shinobi is quite fun but quite challenging, and Kirby is a wonderful time with its many modes and beautiful visuals (have to be some of the best on 3DS).

This year for me was great :), and I look forward to another great year in gaming :D.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm stoked the fountain pen thread guy is also an hilarious writer! Even if I did work on one of the lampooned games!

Excellent work, if you have any other of these laying around link 'em up.

I tease because I love. I wouldn't have so much fun raking Squeenix over the coals if I didn't have this enormous affection for their output. They could do no wrong when I was a kid and I'm still excited to see each new Final Fantasy reveal, or hear about whatever new games they have in the works. Even if they keep breaking my heart with the shit they get up to (can we please have a non-shitty, non-cellphone Seiken Densetsu? No? Goddammit.), I still love 'em. I deal with the heartbreak with bad jokes.

This is my first shot at this sort of thing, so there aren't any more of them. Now, if people are into pens, on the other hand...

Top Bottom