• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Right. I also am aware that there is no SLI support in the game, which is why I went with the PS4 version in the first place. But I have since got a 4k monitor and feel like this would look pretty great on it.
For sure, no worries. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any unpleasnt surprises for you going into it.

BONKERS

I'm pretty sure SMAA only gets so much praise because it's a really effective post-processing AA method - it's way better than FXAA. It's still post-processing, however, so it can only do so much. If you really want to get rid of jaggies and crawling you'll need to downsample or use TXAA.

I personally prefer MSAA over TXAA because it doesn't blur the image, but it also doens't work on any alpha textures, so there will still be a lot of crawling if you use it.

TXAA + Downsampling is really where it's at. Any blur is mitigated and you get the best AA short of adding SGSSAA in with it.

SMAA(T)/SMAA/FXAA are all really mediocre with WD. Downsampling would produce slightly better results. But TXAA+ minor sharpening or some negative LOD produce better results at native resolution in motion.

Would you mind uploading the settings for what you used?

I had the same - I had to turn on SuperSampling in the watchdogs settings file. (just involves finding the file, finding the supersampling line and changing the 0 to a 1. Bit of a performance hit but less than I expected. Obviously the higher res you go the less chance you can use this, but it sorts it out and very playable for me. I dropped my res to 1600x1024 - I can play fine at 1920x1200, but to get it closer to locked 60 at all day/night times - I bring it down and turn on ss.

I have shadows set to high as well.

Do, NOT use the Supersampling option. Not only is performance worse, but AA and IQ are much worse than driver downsampling.

Read the AA section of this
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Trying to figure out the best method to downsample this game. GeDoSaTo works but I'd really like to be able to apply shaders (such as sharpen) to the pre-downsampled image instead of over the top. Changing the resolution in the .ini file works fine but hobbles the framerate.

14303058005_5ff70afc68_o.jpg

14323237573_f4dbbd2917_o.jpg

Do you have an AMD card or an NV card?

If you have an NV card, you can use MSAA+TrSSAA+Built in FXAA+Driver Downsampling+ 0x00000003 for HBAO+.
http://img.techpowerup.org/140530/nvidia_20140530_174907.png

If an AMD card, I have no idea. If forcing MSAA works, that +build in FXAA + Driver downsampling would probably have the best results.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Forest has the shiniest people of any video game I've ever seen.

That airplane must have been filled with the KY'est of all jellies.

I'm glad you posted those Forest pics. The video on the Steam page made it look as good as anything I've seen but those pics are just, ok I guess.

Saved me money for now at least.

It really astonishes me how many mods there are for Skyrim and how detailed these mods are. I mean, I would expect some graphics mods with better lighting and vegetation and textures and the like, and some clothing and customization mods, but this is like an intersection of the two.

One3rd

BOth of these are super cool
Thanks, there really are some neat visuals in this game. So much bloom though!

Do you have an AMD card or an NV card?

If you have an NV card, you can use MSAA+TrSSAA+Built in FXAA+Driver Downsampling+ 0x00000003 for HBAO+.
http://img.techpowerup.org/140530/nvidia_20140530_174907.png

If an AMD card, I have no idea. If forcing MSAA works, that +build in FXAA + Driver downsampling would probably have the best results.
I do have an NV card, a 560Ti ATM but looking at getting a 780.

Thank you very much for this, your a legend! I'm already seeing better results from a test with those forced settings + DS from 3200x1800.

Edit: I noticed something strange while testing out those settings at different resolutions. Looks like the HDR is affected by the resolution as the higher I go the darker the image gets...why would it be doing that? Anyway, I used a scene that had a fair bit of aliasing to see how they compared. These were all with 4xMSAA + 4xTrSSAA + HBAO+.

1920x1080

3200x1800

5120x2880 (via GeDoSaTo)

ibjjaKfd101rY3.jpg

ikvQOncYFiqMj.jpg

Still adjusting sweetfx settings. Been playing for a few hours, not sure how I feel about the game. Too much CA though and I'll need to tone down the blue push.

BONKERS

Thanks, there really are some neat visuals in this game. So much bloom though!

I do have an NV card, a 560Ti ATM but looking at getting a 780.

Thank you very much for this, your a legend! I'm already seeing better results from a test with those forced settings + DS from 3200x1800.

NP, hope it helps get you on the road where you would like to be in regards to IQ/AA.

From my own personal testing of 1800p+4xMSAA+4xTrSSAA+FXAA downsampled, it looks fabulously smooth and sharp in most places.

It's unfortunately the best solution we have with that game since any better form of AA at native resolution isn't possible. (IE: SGSSAA works, but is blurry and causes all of the color to be somewhat inverted)

(Do make sure you are using at least 331.40 drivers for HBAO+ though. Don't know what you are on just because you mentioned SSAO and didn't know if you realized they changed the driver SSAO/HBAO to HBAO+)

I'm on a 570 myself right now (And minus HBAO+ I was averaging just a bit over 30FPS with the setup above). I'm waiting and hoping for Maxwell at the moment.

What's the hubub bub?

I never imagined Dishonored could look so bad on a PC no matter how hard you tried.

What it looks bad just because he doesn't have the rendering power for the best AA? (2xSGSSAA is still inherently being driven by 2xMSAA. It doesn't have the best IQ) Maybe he wants 60FPS with decent AA. Either way it's still a mile above the console versions.

It looks just fine.

One3rd

NP, hope it helps get you on the road where you would like to be in regards to IQ/AA.

From my own personal testing of 1800p+4xMSAA+4xTrSSAA+FXAA downsampled, it looks fabulously smooth and sharp in most places.

It's unfortunately the best solution we have with that game since any better form of AA at native resolution isn't possible. (IE: SGSSAA works, but is blurry and causes all of the color to be somewhat inverted)

(Do make sure you are using at least 331.40 drivers for HBAO+ though. Don't know what you are on just because you mentioned SSAO and didn't know if you realized they changed the driver SSAO/HBAO to HBAO+)

I'm on a 570 myself right now (And minus HBAO+ I was averaging just a bit over 30FPS with the setup above). I'm waiting and hoping for Maxwell at the moment.
I'm using the 337.50 drivers. I think I was getting about 22FPS with all that AA enabled plusthe HBAO+. I mentioned SSAO as I was trying to enable it in-game...but its a mess.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What it looks bad just because he doesn't have the rendering power for the best AA? (2xSGSSAA is still inherently being driven by 2xMSAA. It doesn't have the best IQ) Maybe he wants 60FPS with decent AA. Either way it's still a mile above the console versions.

It looks just fine.

I think it would be better without the SGSSAA personally. It's giving a bit too much blur. If I'm remembering correctly, can't neogaffer tweak the LoD bias to get a sharper end result?

I think it would be better without the SGSSAA personally. It's giving a bit too much blur. If I'm remembering correctly, can't neogaffer tweak the LoD bias to get a sharper end result?

I used sharpening with SweetFX to counter the blur. This is with 4xSGSSAA and a 0.37 sharpening value

14125593377_022062f085_o.png

14125595277_9b5d2bd6f0_o.png

Top Bottom