• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

ibkq7paDGTobuH.png

iZux4H82UyvyC.png

It's kinda cheating since it's a screenshot renderer, but it's still immensely pretty.

Thorgal

Darn, here I was hoping even a 780ti at 1080p would be able to run most pre-2013 games with 8xSGSSAA ha..

Here's hoping to the eventual 880Ti! /herp

Because those screenshots look erhmagerdzing

Well , resolution is at 3200 X 1800 plus 8 X SGSSAA on top of it so ,yeah :p.

HOWEVER , when you switch off SSAO the framerate shoots back up to 50-60 Fps .

SSAO truly butchers performance with a resolution that high.

Crysis Vanilla / Hilariously High Resolution, that is. :p Crysis Vanilla Original Resolution looks rather nasty. It always broke my heart that I couldn't find an AA combination to get nice clean palm fronds.

Yeah the game looks okay at a normal resolution, but not that amazing. The resolution used for those pictures was something around 15000x8000, so...

BONKERS

Crysis Vanilla / Hilariously High Resolution, that is. :p Crysis Vanilla Original Resolution looks rather nasty. It always broke my heart that I couldn't find an AA combination to get nice clean palm fronds.

SGSSAA (or even TrSSAA) says hai.

(You can also downsample with the combination of the above. it doesn't take much to get amazing looking stuff)
ibjUkzxhL9Ei7y.png

ibjo738X9HESRL.png
(iirc this was 2736x1532 with 4xMSAA+FXAA downsampled to 1080p)

It's kinda cheating since it's a screenshot renderer, but it's still immensely pretty.

I never gave it much time but I think the screenshot renderer can basically do whatever res you want, since you can render it in a zillion tiles at a zillion res each tile.

I have all the Trackmania 2 versions, I think Canyon is my fave. All of them look great even in gameplay.

Loving how clean those Bioshock pics look!

And Castlevania's last gen assets aren't aging well. I honestly thought it was a mobile version at first glance in a couple of those pics (not the screenshotters fault).

Castlevania LoS is downright rough and ugly in a lot of it's elements, it even has dithered shadows and visible texture compression. It's like an early UE3 game with it's bloom-blur despite coming out in 2010 (well, 2010 isn't exactly yesterday).

But i still like it for the environment and a few situations here and there.

I never gave it much time but I think the screenshot renderer can basically do whatever res you want, since you can render it in a zillion tiles at a zillion res each tile.

I have all the Trackmania 2 versions, I think Canyon is my fave. All of them look great even in gameplay.

Loving how clean those Bioshock pics look!

And Castlevania's last gen assets aren't aging well. I honestly thought it was a mobile version at first glance in a couple of those pics (not the screenshotters fault).

In theory it can, but the game crashes and blackscreens if I try to render a 10kx10k screenshot. Dunno if that's a limitation of the game engine or my PC. I'd assume the game, because given enough time, any computer can render any image.

soontroll

Banned
13471671504_eca2e3ed65_o.jpg

13471670184_7048657461_o.jpg

The only thing that works in that CE table for me is the toggle HUD option so I have to stick to generic shots :(

Also, surprisingly this game looks gorgeous indoors and meh in the actual city.

BONKERS

Castlevania LoS is downright rough and ugly in a lot of it's elements, it even has dithered shadows and visible texture compression. It's like an early UE3 game with it's bloom-blur despite coming out in 2010 (well, 2010 isn't exactly yesterday).

But i still like it for the environment and a few situations here and there.

The SSAO added in the PC port is very awful.

And mind you, this is a game that was designed for 1280x720 with no AA barely reaching 30FPS on PS3/360. They didn't upgrade the graphics AFIK . Even the shitty 720p compressed to crap FMVs are still there.

It's not like it's blameless either, even recent games still have lots of ugly texturing compression. (Like LoS2 for example as well.)

I think LOS1 looks amazing for it's time given the constraints of the PS3/360. I was blown away by how good it looked even on the PS3 with no AA and shitty framerate.

IMACOMPUTA

It's pretty exciting that the new console tech has me rather unimpressed with a lot of these screenshots.
I'm very excited for the future on PC because of this.

I'm looking at you, shitty lighting!

Pakoe

Gold Member
What grass/tree/etc mods are you using here? I've never seen those pink grasses in SFO I don't think. I generally use SFO with Grass on Steroids and it looks pretty nice but that is definitely nicer.

That's a good question, it's been a while since i played Skyrim (these are old screens) and i can't remember in what order i installed the mods. But these are the grass mods i'm running:

- Dat Grass 1.2
- Grass on Steroids
- SkyRealism Grass
- SFO Regular

Edit: I remember manually replacing a grass texture. Don't know which one though, sorry.

13485867225_549c91dff7_o.jpg

13486013153_b371ae8a2d_o.jpg

Jedi2016

If people stop judging PC games on stills that were taken during unplayable settings, it will make sense too.
These are perfectly playable, if you've got the hardware. In fact, I don't see anything on this page that my system couldn't push with relative ease. We have a dedicated thread for unplayable bullshots... this one ain't it.

Top Bottom