• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

I really hate clicking on screenshots to expand them on this forum, only to realize it's a link to a page that's not actually showing the full-res shot.

No need to be rude - explaining it would have taken the same amount of time. Not everyone knows how to do these things and nobody has complained about it as far as I've seen.

Skyrim

enb_2014_07_21_10_23_11_16_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7rn5xs.jpg

enb_2014_07_21_10_27_44_46_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7rn5xb.jpg

No need to be rude - explaining it would have taken the same amount of time. Not everyone knows how to do these things and nobody has complained about it as far as I've seen.

Yeeah... I shouldn't be on the internet today. Not having the best of days which makes me sour. Sorry about that.

Betrayer

14524963339_c157a7f119_o.jpg

Denton

Yeeah... I shouldn't be on the internet today. Not having the best of days which makes me sour. Sorry about that.

Betrayer

Looks surprisingly great. What engine are they using ?
I wonder if it sold enough to keep the studio afloat. There is like zero hype about it.

Betrayer is Unreal Engine 3.

The default look for this game is very stark black and white. But you have the option to add color back in via sliders. You can also adjust contrast by tweaking lights\darks. Black and white is certainly an interesting experience... but some people don't like it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Betrayer is Unreal Engine 3.

The default look for this game is very stark black and white. But you have the option to add color back in via sliders. You can also adjust contrast by tweaking lights\darks. Black and white is certainly an interesting experience... but some people don't like it.

I'm really conflicted on that because on one hand I think the best choice is almost always to give the consumer as much control over the game as possible. But on the other hand, I like the idea of them 100% backing up their look, designing for it, and standing behind it as such. Part of that has to do with my appreciation for weird, unusual, or atypical visual styles in games and the stark black and white world always seemed visually outstanding to me.

Hey bud you've gotta take a second look on that film grain because it's performing some type of visual murder on your IQ.

14524352079_76b525a686_o.jpg

Ok ok, calm the F down... it`s a photo of Chloe Dykstra. But after looking around here and there what some people did with mods and how they've taken screenshots... they are not far off from that. Mithras (for example, also posts here I believe, damn nice!

14707819051_8279cbfba9_o.jpg

Also, I give up trying to change the color of the water (do you need the creation kit for that?)

14707819081_befe2f04a6_o.jpg

14730864303_836e7c4d5e_o.jpg

And having modded a game for the first this heavy, my fear that it is too time consuming has come true. It's great what you can do and I'm glad that all this is possible but I'm just beginning to understand roughly how ENB's work and it seems that in there are a lot of options to really change the look of the game. Not very well documented.

I recently replayed AC 4 to get 100% in it (hyped for AC 5) because Uplay didn't keep my saves. Good game and all but I was a bit disappointed at how ridiculously easy it is, and I missed the serious tone from AC 1, so I just had to replay that game again. Haven't touched it since I completed it on the 360 back in 2009 so it was nice to replay it on PC.

14692424586_c9ff5da9cb_o.jpg

14692424326_ddb0e8e082_o.jpg

I tried to go online as a spectator in actual servers to try the cinematic tools. So far Punkbuster hasn't kicked me yet :)

Here's a few I took last night. I could get better shots but it's hard. Gotta be where the action is to pause the game at the right moment. Character models will not update while the game is paused, so if you move the camera too far from where you paused it, you'll get lower res textures and character models :(

14527906309_53754e1e3e_o.jpg

14527886650_e84a4e602d_o.jpg

Hey bud you've gotta take a second look on that film grain because it's performing some type of visual murder on your IQ.

The film grain is in game, and IMO it adds to the 50's B-Movie atmosphere of the game. I think it would lose some of its charm without it
Oh and there is some SweetFX in there too which is prob whats doing the sharpening.
The game is a fucker for Aliasing. Downsampling doesn't do much for it, and the only thing I found that eliminated jaggies was 4xSGSSAA, but its really performance killing, even on an i74770 and a GTX 770. So 2xSGSSAA was the sweet spot for me. In game AA is FXAA, if you put it on high, it feels like you just slathered Vaseline all over your eyes

Thanks Jim.

8K + SweetFX? How'd you manage that?

The game actually runs surprisingly well at 8K (using Gedosato) as long as you turn post-processing off and don't force any hardware AA. The game's vanilla postprocessing doesn't make much of a difference but the changes it makes to the depth of field can murder the framerate in certain scenarios so it really isn't worth it, especially because there is no visible difference when playing at a really high res. I used Gedosato's built-in postprocessing for everything else and SweetFx for the black and white, and now, vignette. The game can actually look pretty stunning in motion considering it's 7 years old.

14531020529_4091c6686e_o.jpg

14531017358_2ab1040edf_o.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just before it starts popping off, people should spoiler any Dark Souls II DLC boss images they're going to be posting, since it just dropped today.

BONKERS

The film grain is in game, and IMO it adds to the 50's B-Movie atmosphere of the game. I think it would lose some of its charm without it
Oh and there is some SweetFX in there too which is prob whats doing the sharpening.
The game is a fucker for Aliasing. Downsampling doesn't do much for it, and the only thing I found that eliminated jaggies was 4xSGSSAA, but its really performance killing, even on an i74770 and a GTX 770. So 2xSGSSAA was the sweet spot for me. In game AA is FXAA, if you put it on high, it feels like you just slathered Vaseline all over your eyes

Yeah the FG is fine, I am a big fan of it as we all know. Just think the sharpening is over doing it a little maybe :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
http://i5.minus.com/i54YNkAO4xORS.png[/MG]
[IMG]http://i3.minus.com/ibu7jrAVExDMXc.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Please don't post lossless 4K PNG files. The file size is prohibitively large and serves absolutely no benefit (unless there are people browsing this thread on 4K monitors) since the purpose of rendering at high resolutions is the additional clarity and aliasing reduction you get from resizing down.

Resize before you post, and if you want to go the extra mile, [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58594073&postcount=123"]here is a guide[/URL] on how to make JPEG's that are nearly indestinguishably different in terms of IQ, but usually half the file size. If you're going to use FastStone, it's best not to use 100% quality, and instead use 99 or 98.

Rizzi

I have no idea how you guys have the patience to get Fallout and Skyrim to look like that.
I get annoyed when installing a mod takes more than two minutes. :p

One3rd

<snip>
here is a guide on how to make JPEG's that are nearly indestinguishably different in terms of IQ, but usually half the file size. If you're going to use FastStone, it's best not to use 100% quality, and instead use 99 or 98.
Thanks for mentioning the quality setting, it prompted me to check what I've been using (100%). Just tested with a couple images and found that setting quality to 98% has reduce'd the image size from 1.91MB to 1.19MB, a pretty big savings given the almost negligable difference in quality (at least to my eyes!).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks for mentioning the quality setting, it prompted me to check what I've been using (100%). Just tested with a couple images and found that setting quality to 98% has reduce'd the image size from 1.91MB to 1.19MB, a pretty big savings given the almost negligable difference in quality (at least to my eyes!).

Yeah glad to share it. If you want to understand how we got to that point, check out starting at post #426 in this thread and read onward. We figure out that a level 12 Photoshop image is equivalent to about a level 98-99 Faststone image. The difference in IQ is nearly indistinguishable, but the difference in file size is massive.

Top Bottom