• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Objective: Deactivate Hitler's smoke machine.
14717393232_2b8ee45023_k.jpg

14719849851_d90c8147de_k.jpg

robgrab

Love your stuff Wanny. I've been using your FO3 preset forever. Still my favorite.

I have a dumb question though, I've noticed in FNV my plants/shrubs aren't casting shadows or self-shadowing any more. What setting in the ENB controls this or is there an ini file value I need to change?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
14716880554_1eb8523bd8_o.png

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5565/14719002462_57fa2d9624_o.png[/mg][/QUOTE]

Hey bud, that screenshot is from a cinematic - so it's just a screen cap of a pre-rendered video.

[quote="Masochism Tango, post: 122316850"][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3909/14536665818_fd002f8ce6_k.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5581/14539973440_30098c1de3_k.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

What method are you using to turn your screenshots into JPEG's? There seems to be some compression in your image.

What method are you using to turn your screenshots into JPEG's? There seems to be some compression in your image.
It's not linking to the full size so could be flickr compression, I uploaded the png there but it auto converts to jpg. And usually Lanczos 3 via Irfanview.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's not linking to the full size so could be flickr compression, I uploaded the png there but it auto converts to jpg. And usually Lanczos 3 via Irfanview.

It's slight compression so if others aren't bothered by it I'm not going to try and dictate that you should do it differently, but the best way to do it would be to resize and convert to near-max quality JPEG before uploading to flickr. Either level 12 photoshop JPEG, or ~level 98 FastStone JPEG.

You posted one of the downsamples. For those, flickr creates over-sharpened and compressed jpgs. This is why I always post my originals that I downsampled myself.

BONKERS

Yeah the CA in those were from the DOF and they are just minor fringes that somewhat make more sense at least than just smearing it over everything stupidly like most games do.

Reese-015

Why not?

It's a subtle effect that makes the DOF (already an unneeded filmic effect) look better.

I like the subtle added CA though DOF is not necessarily an exclusively 'filmic' effect like grain or CA. Bring your hand close to your face, look at it while mentally looking at the background and you'll see pretty dramatic DOF happen naturally through your eyes.
edit: though of course, the more dramatic DOF employed in games most of the time is indeed much more 'filmic' than it is similar to normal eyesight ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
Wild BL2 shots man.

Well ok, since we've got some Borderlands 2 going on, I figure this is a prime time to ask a couple questions.

First off - how do you get rid of the HUD? Cuz that shit looks amazing. Also seems like there's a camera hack?

But my main question is about SweetFX. I just tried it for the first time today with Borderlands 2 and I love it. Downsampling from 2560x1440 plus the default SweetFX settings(SMAA and minor sharpening and vibrancy boost) looks fantastic(although I sadly had to turn down PhysX to low to maintain 60fps). So I took a couple screens with it on and off while playing to look at the differences afterwards, but when looking at the screens afterwards, the SweetFX effects didn't show up. I was using the Steam screenshot function which I'm guessing just ignored the post-processing of SweetFX entirely?

How do I get SweetFX to show up in my screenshots?

And lastly, on a related note, is there anyway to take a screenshot of a game in a lesser resolution than my monitor's, but with the upscaling intact? Like a game rendered in 720p on my 1080p monitor, but showing it in 1920x1080 as it appears to me? I've tried with Steam screenshot, FRAPS and even the Print Screen button, but it just captures the native rendered shot.

Durante

And lastly, on a related note, is there anyway to take a screenshot of a game in a lesser resolution than my monitor's, but with the upscaling intact? Like a game rendered in 720p on my 1080p monitor, but showing it in 1920x1080 as it appears to me? I've tried with Steam screenshot, FRAPS and even the Print Screen button, but it just captures the native rendered shot.
GeDoSaTo can do that. And it also captures all postprocessing on screenshots :p

Wild BL2 shots man.

Well ok, since we've got some Borderlands 2 going on, I figure this is a prime time to ask a couple questions.

First off - how do you get rid of the HUD? Cuz that shit looks amazing. Also seems like there's a camera hack?

But my main question is about SweetFX. I just tried it for the first time today with Borderlands 2 and I love it. Downsampling from 2560x1440 plus the default SweetFX settings(SMAA and minor sharpening and vibrancy boost) looks fantastic(although I sadly had to turn down PhysX to low to maintain 60fps). So I took a couple screens with it on and off while playing to look at the differences afterwards, but when looking at the screens afterwards, the SweetFX effects didn't show up. I was using the Steam screenshot function which I'm guessing just ignored the post-processing of SweetFX entirely?

How do I get SweetFX to show up in my screenshots?

The HUD can be turned off just by opening the console and typing "togglehud"

Here's my guide on capturing screenshots of Borderlands 2
(I know there's the GAF compendium thread but I prefer my DET guides as I can control the styling a bit more)

You'll need the Cheat Engine table for the free camera. It takes some getting used to but I can answer any questions you may have. You can pause the game for capturing specific moments in the action.

There's a lot of other stuff in there too.

I love SweetFX with this game but I've been using the post processing options in GeDoSaTo. They're good enough. I didnt realize GeDoSaTo could capture SweetFX now though. I should look more closely at the change notes.

Seanspeed

Banned
The HUD can be turned off just by opening the console and typing "togglehud"

Here's my guide on capturing screenshots of Borderlands 2
(I know there's the GAF compendium thread but I prefer my DET guides as I can control the styling a bit more)

You'll need the Cheat Engine table for the free camera. It takes some getting used to but I can answer any questions you may have. You can pause the game for capturing specific moments in the action.

There's a lot of other stuff in there too.

I love SweetFX with this game but I've been using the post processing options in GeDoSaTo. They're good enough. I didnt realize GeDoSaTo could capture SweetFX now though. I should look more closely at the change notes.
Saved to my favorites, thanks. Really cool. Don't often go out of my way to do fancy screenshots in games, but I've itching to be able to take some good ones in BL2.

As soon as I've figured out how to take screenshots with GeDoSaTo, I should be rockin. And will definitely ask here again if I get confused by something(which happens a lot!).

EDIT: Ok, got GeDoSaTo all figured out.

Was moving on to your notes, but I have to download 'Cheat Engine'? I tried to enable the console like you said, but that doesn't work. Does that also need Cheat Engine?

You guys are probably used to people who know what they're doing, but I'm not one of those.

One3rd

Saved to my favorites, thanks. Really cool. Don't often go out of my way to do fancy screenshots in games, but I've itching to be able to take some good ones in BL2.

As soon as I've figured out how to take screenshots with GeDoSaTo, I should be rockin. And will definitely ask here again if I get confused by something(which happens a lot!).

EDIT: Ok, got GeDoSaTo all figured out.

Was moving on to your notes, but I have to download 'Cheat Engine'? I tried to enable the console like you said, but that doesn't work. Does that also need Cheat Engine?

You guys are probably used to people who know what they're doing, but I'm not one of those.

You will need to download cheat engine and the table.
1. Once installed, start up the game and then select the process and attach Borderlands2.exe.
2. Click the "open a cheat table" folder button and select the cheat table.
3. Answer Yes to run LUA scripts.
4. Click "Enable" and then "Screenshotting" then the rest of the cheats to enable. (see here.)
5. Now use the hotkeys in jim2point0's post to enable disable each cheat in-game.

The console is enabled by adding those two lines to the DefaultInput file, see here.

I found that BL2 was crashing when using GeDoSaTo to hotswap to a higher resolution so I'm now using SoftTH with fewer crashes. It looked to be something with BL2 that doesn't like changing from a fullscreen to borderless windowed mode that was causing crashes for me, switching to borderless fullscreen first before changing the resolution seems to have more success for me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I got in the beta and the NDA has been lifted.

This is at 4K, nearly max settings, only shadows is one below maxed.

Since I'm still on a 570, framerate is abysmal, but I imagine a decent GPU could get similar visuals with good framerates.

thecrew_2014_07_25_01_43_56_36_by_aloo81-d7s67iz.jpg

Cockpit! I think the cockpit looks really good. Also, when you check your rear, you actually look out the backseat/window.

thecrew_2014_07_25_01_33_38_53_by_aloo81-d7s67j4.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
You will need to download cheat engine and the table.
1. Once installed, start up the game and then select the process and attach Borderlands2.exe.
2. Click the "open a cheat table" folder button and select the cheat table.
3. Answer Yes to run LUA scripts.
4. Click "Enable" and then "Screenshotting" then the rest of the cheats to enable. (see here.)
5. Now use the hotkeys in jim2point0's post to enable disable each cheat in-game.

The console is enabled by adding those two lines to the DefaultInput file, see here.

I found that BL2 was crashing when using GeDoSaTo to hotswap to a higher resolution so I'm now using SoftTH with fewer crashes. It looked to be something with BL2 that doesn't like changing from a fullscreen to borderless windowed mode that was causing crashes for me, switching to borderless fullscreen first before changing the resolution seems to have more success for me.
Thank you! Sounds easy enough.

Unfortunately, downloading Cheat Engine seems to have brought with it some bloatware of some kind and my computer is now running slowly so its virus scan time. Yay....

EDIT: Ok, all malware gone.

Hey Jim, your download link for the BL2 cheat table isn't working, though. Just seems to open the file code in my browser. :/

One3rd

Thank you! Sounds easy enough.

Unfortunately, downloading Cheat Engine seems to have brought with it some bloatware of some kind and my computer is now running slowly so its virus scan time. Yay....

EDIT: Ok, all malware gone.

Hey Jim, your download link for the BL2 cheat table isn't working, though. Just seems to open the file code in my browser. :/
Not sure about the Malware, glad you got it fixed though.

As for the cheat table, try right-click -> save.

One3rd

Yea did that. Just gave me the XML.
Yes, that is the table. Save that somewhere and after you've selected the process (Borderlands2.exe) you will need to open a table with the folder icon and then select this file you've just saved. Then expand the scripts as shown in the image from my last post.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes, that is the table. Save that somewhere and after you've selected the process (Borderlands2.exe) you will need to open a table with the folder icon and then select this file you've just saved. Then expand the scripts as shown in the image from my last post.
Wasn't showing up. It was looking for a .CT file.

I think something is wrong with my Internet Explorer. I'm having trouble downloading other things from links as well.

Now on Chrome and downloaded it as a .CT file, though. Should be good to go now.

You gotta pay attention and uncheck all the unwanted software it tries to install during the installation :p

Yeah. You either need to right-click -> save link as. Or when you have the xml file open, go to the browser menu -> save as.

Using CE tables can be a little daunting at first. Especially one as large as the Borderlands 2 table. First you need to point the table to the game's running executable via the button in the upper left corner. Then you need to enable a few scripts by clicking on the box next to them.

You'll need to click [enable], expand [screenshotting], and click [unreal engine cheats].

PlayersOnly will toggle the game being paused, during which you can use the freecamera script.

There's a lot of other useful stuff in there. Like making yourself invisible to enemies, changing the time of day, slow motion... etc etc.

It helps to have the table open on a 2nd monitor so you can keep track of what is enabled and what isn't.

Parsnip

Man, even back when Halo 2 was new I thought the textures looked really weird. Time sure hasn't done it any further favors.

Seanspeed

Banned
You gotta pay attention and uncheck all the unwanted software it tries to install during the installation :p
Did that. Had some other shit with it, apparently. Could have been the site that led me to it, though? Whatever, that's done with.

Yeah. You either need to right-click -> save link as. Or when you have the xml file open, go to the browser menu -> save as.

Using CE tables can be a little daunting at first. Especially one as large as the Borderlands 2 table. First you need to point the table to the game's running executable via the button in the upper left corner. Then you need to enable a few scripts by clicking on the box next to them.

You'll need to click [enable], expand [screenshotting], and click [unreal engine cheats].

PlayersOnly will toggle the game being paused, during which you can use the freecamera script.

There's a lot of other useful stuff in there. Like making yourself invisible to enemies, changing the time of day, slow motion... etc etc.

It helps to have the table open on a 2nd monitor so you can keep track of what is enabled and what isn't.
Yea, something is wrong with IE for me. I'll look into it. Otherwise, I've got everything working now. And dear god, THANK YOU. This is like the best thing ever. Only played around for an hour or so, but I'm having a blast. I was thinking I was coming to the end of my playtime with BL2, but this will keep me going for a while.

Thank you One3rd for your help as well. I definitely needed it.

Two shots I grabbed - not quite as clean as your shots, but hey...

Top Bottom