• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[2014] Xbox One Indie Parity Clause impacting number of announcements for system

chalex010

Banned
I find that hard to believe. I have no interest in procedurally generated worlds (procedural is better for stuff like trees or faces) as it is laughably inferior to human design. To me NMS will be fun for 2 hours, then it will become a repetitive game with mediocre gameplay.

Then again, I thought people wouldn't like playing minecraft for long because of the pixelized graphics.

I was not right that time. Maybe I won't be right about NMS either. People who like taking screenshots of their procedural new world and animals might dig it.

NMS has been getting a lot of attention outside of traditional video game venues and publications and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

That may not translate into a Minecraft like success, but I don't doubt for a second that the game will be big and will be another game that moves systems in a meaningful way. Destiny was and it wasn't (console) exclusive and we'll probably see similar with Battlefront. If multi-plats are already having that kind of impact do you really think an exclusive with this kind of mind-share won't?

You can create elements and sell or use them to upgrade equipment in NMS that is a huge sci-fi deal for some. Also I didn't know you could trade or have trade route in Minecraft?

I think NMS will be a great hit with gamers, sure. It might even end up being a great success with the main stream. It will not, ever, be anywhere close to minecraft though.

However I say the following as someone who doesn't like minecraft and doesn't "get it".

Minecraft is a cult sensation. It's probably the super mario bros for the current generation .

A quick google says more than 70m copies have been sold of minecraft over all consoles/pc/whatever. That means there are, what , maybe a handful of games that've sold more than it at this point. Tetris and Wii sports are the only ones that I can think of, and Wii sports was a pack in for most of the globe.

NMS frankly doesn't stand a ghost of a chance of getting anywhere near minecrafts sales. If they have immense luck, they might, over the ps4s life, get to say 20m, but that's an incredible optimistic guess.

LewieP

Hmm, I don't think you're right actually. I think it's time for a big update anyways. I'll pull together some numbers and start a new topic sometime soon.

That would be fantastic.

As I said when I bumped this thread, my intuition is that the trend you initially highlighted with this thread was accelerating. I didn't run any numbers, but I pay attention to game announcements. Logic also dictates that since the policies and attitudes leading to this scenario are unchanged, the outcome would be unchanged.

I look forward to reading your new thread giving an update on this stuff, you did a great job on the OP here, and explained what is a fairly complex situation in a plain and easy to understand manner.

Is it just not a case of looking at the Playstation and Xbox stores and seeing how many games have been released since say June? On my mobile just now so can't try it myself :)

RowdyReverb

I was under the impression that the PS store was seeing a glut of shovelware indie titles. Sure, there are gems to be found, but is quantity really the best metric when discussing a system's indie game library?

Internet logic. If every Xbox exclusive that's also on PC is dismissed as not game changing, you can say the same for a PS4 game that's also on PC.

Are they dismissed? Because I keep seeing people say that Xbox One has more exclusives this holiday when all they got is Forza 6 & Halo 5. Everything else is on other platforms or will be in the coming months, please do explain.

chalex010

Banned
Which again is just downright false.

I'm not sure of a great place to get a list of exclusives, but there is a Wikipedia entry and assuming it's even remotely correct we are looking at:

Xbox One:
Code:
Rare Replay					Microsoft Studios	Yes	8/4/2015
Smite						Hi-Rez Studios		Console	8/19/2015
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition			Microsoft Studios	Console	8/25/2015
Forza Motorsport 6				Microsoft Studios	Yes	9/15/2015
Halo 5: Guardians				Microsoft Studios	Yes	10/27/2015

5 Exclusives (4 first party)

PS4:
Code:
Ultra Street Fighter IV				Capcom			Console	5/26/2015
PlanetSide 2					Daybreak Game Company	Console	6/23/2015
Rocket League					Psyonix			Console	7/7/2015
Godzilla					Bandai Namco Games	Yes	7/14/2015
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter			The Astronauts		Console	7/14/2015
N++						TBA			Yes	7/28/2015
Galak-Z: The Dimensional			17-BIT			Console	8/4/2015
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture			Sony Computer Ent	Yes	8/11/2015
Gauntlet: Slayer Edition			Warner Bros.		Console	8/11/2015
Volume						TBA			Console	8/18/2015
Until Dawn					Sony Computer Ent	Yes	8/25/2015
Grow Home					Ubisoft			Console	9/1/2015
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence	Tecmo Koei		Console	9/1/2015
Tearaway Unfolded				Sony Computer Ent	Yes	9/8/2015
SOMA						Frictional Games	Console	9/22/2015
Disgaea 5					Nippon Ichi Software	Yes	10/6/2015
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection		Sony Computer Ent	Yes	10/9/2015
Dragon Quest Heroes				Square Enix		Console	10/13/2015
Grand Ages: Medieval				Kalypso Media		Console	10/13/2015
Tales of Zestiria				Bandai Namco Ent.	Console	10/20/2015

20 Exclusives (4 first party)

So with the same amount of first party published games from June through October 2015 (NA release dates) third-party exclusive output is 16:1 in favor of the PS4. And I might be wrong, but I think Smite is timed exclusive with a marketing deal?

Someone please correct me on any points if anything is wrong.

Spencer needs to talk to the guy in charge and get this policy changed.

shib7.jpg

Seeing how they can't stop talking about the parity clause and then do these "It'd be great if <name> game to xbox"

Kinda makes it seem like they do. :)

It seems more like "oh shit, this popular game we turned down due to our policy is making money, we gotta get it on our console!"

Comet

Not that it matters much but I'm part of a new indie company and there's no way to get enough budgetary resources to even consider adhering to the parity clause. Perhaps a kickstarter campaign can help with that, but for now all of our attention is on PC/Mac then the Sony ecosystem.

I'm just going to say this I don't think it'll even touch minecraft if it does i'll be blown away and happy for the developers.

Of course it won't be as successful as Minecraft. Because that's close to being the highest selling game ever. I'm sure Hello Games would be ecstatic if they sold a twentieth as many copies.

LewieP

Not that it matters much but I'm part of a new indie company and there's no way to get enough budgetary resources to even consider adhering to the parity clause. Perhaps a kickstarter campaign can help with that, but for now all of our attention is on PC/Mac then the Sony ecosystem.

It matters a great deal! Many indie studios are in very similar circumstances. Thanks for sharing.

Shenmue

Banned
I was under the impression that the PS store was seeing a glut of shovelware indie titles. Sure, there are gems to be found, but is quantity really the best metric when discussing a system's indie game library?

I dunno if this is some weird, half-hearted defense of MS's policy.

As to your comment about "a glut of shovelware indie titles," that's just like your opinion man. There's a bunch of indie games that have been reviewed extremely positively. If you were indeed defending MS's policy with your comment, I guess it's no surprise MS hasn't done anything to remove the policy if there are lots of others like you.

Microsoft has done a great job righting the gaming wrongs of Xbox One's original launch... hopefully they will continue. I wish you all the luck OP in removing this clause.

Might be nice to see some evidence of your research to back up this claim of a horrible bump.

Summer began June 21, from then to now that's 16 weeks, that's 80 to 96 games. Let's see this list.
Okay it was 70, I just counted via Xbox.com storefront.
There were like 8 or so games that I didn't know if they were ID@xbox or not since they had mid-tier publishers so didn't include them.

I'm not sure of a great place to get a list of exclusives, but there is a Wikipedia entry and assuming it's even remotely correct we are looking at:

Xbox One:
Code:

PS4:
Code:

So with the same amount of first party published games from June through October 2015 (NA release dates) third-party exclusive output is 16:1 in favor of the PS4. And I might be wrong, but I think Smite is timed exclusive with a marketing deal?

shib7.jpg
This topic has nothing to do with first party games though so those lists mean nothing in this context. Actual ID@Xbox games are what this is about

And no, I wouldn't trust Wikipedia as a good comparison because it depends on people taking the time to update the lists. There seems to be about 3 people who are very on top of updating the PS4 list but who don't update the Xbox One list with the same dedication. I've added stuff to that list that came out months ago.

'under the impression' in this case means 'no research, just feels' i guess?

Percy

Banned

Xbox One:
Code:

PS4:
Code:

You're not wrong (In fact there have other PS exclusives like Saint Seiya(console) and 10/10 classic Oneechanbara Z2!!!) but you expect to be ignored by most regardless. Some people seem too invested in narratives that run counter to evidence to turn back now. But kudos for trying at least.

I don't think so, not at all. It looks cool but it's not uncharted level at all.

Has Uncharted ever been in all trade shows and gotten itself on live tv?

What you think is not what can be clearly seen.

Edit: Also this, you and others say it won't be a system seller but we already have 2 people in the thread that say otherwise.

This.

I know of at least one person, in real life, who owns an XB1 who will be buying a PS4 solely for this game.

I am literally going to buy a PS4 for this game. Without it I provably would be xbox only this gen.

DottyHead

Neo Member
The thing is that they may not be system sellers but Sony get money from every sale and the more games you have the more chance to make money. They might not set the world on fire but some money is better then no money and Microsoft must realise this.

Interfectum

It's not like MS gives a shit.

Here is a list by alphabetical order of all the top 10 indies that are system sellers:

[Fucking nothing.gif]

Yep. The day CoD or Destiny comes out first on PS4, MS will maybe take action.

Momentum pushes systems. Indie games constantly getting released and announced for PS4 adds to their forward momentum.

No Mans Sky isn't PS4 exclusive.

If you owned a XB1...

Would you rather buy a cheap console that you are familiar with to play the game or would you want an expensive PC and learn how to play mouse and keyboard?

This isn't about it being exclusive, it's about being a system seller which it has a high chance of being.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think so, not at all. It looks cool but it's not uncharted level at all.

People are buying PS4's for Rocket league. Nuff said.

Doesn't need to be Uncharted to be popular and do well. Rocket league has over 5 Million players across PC and PS4. Over 4 Million are PS4 players.

Game is super popular and has made many peoples GOTY lists.

No man Sky might have a slow start, but I bet you people will play it as a casual game like Rocket league, and stream the shit out of it making it extremely popular.

Try again.

Xbox One:
Code:

PS4:
Code:

shib7.jpg

Also consider that rare replay is a collection of 30 games

LewieP

Those wikipedia lists are next to useless for the purposes of this discussion. To the best of my knowledge there is no comprehensive list of announced games for either platform.

Okay it was 70, I just counted via Xbox.com storefront.
There were like 8 or so games that I didn't know if they were ID@xbox or not since they had mid-tier publishers so didn't include them.

70 games which are not coming to PS4? Or 70 games.

shoreu

Has Uncharted ever been in all trade shows and gotten itself on live tv?

What you think is not what can be clearly seen.

Edit: Also this, you and others say it won't be a system seller but we already have 2 people in the thread that say otherwise.

Let me modify my statement. I don't think it will be a massive first party game system seller like. Yes, some might buy it but it's not pushing sales immensely.

LewieP

Have you followed the discussion? I said most games are either PS4 only, PS4 and Xbox One, or MS is funding them and they are not on PS4. BK disagreed.

A list of 70 games all of which are also on both Xbox and PS4 would back up my argument, a list of 70 games which are Xbox exclusive would back up BK's.

Those wikipedia lists are next to useless for the purposes of this discussion. To the best of my knowledge there is no comprehensive list of announced games for either platform.

70 games which are not coming to PS4? Or 70 games.
No no just games from ID@Xbox since June 21. I said something slightly dumb, that there have been 5-6 releases a week. That user asked me to provide proof which would have been over 86 games :p.

I can try and work with chubigans and do an in depth look at the Xbox One side for his new topic if he wants to study and nail down the PS4 side.

I'd love to try and give an accurate response to you and for myself.

To be clear, I was specifically disagreeing with the statement that if a game is only on say WiiU and XB1 or just XB1 and not Ps4, then MS helped with dev or because it's related to the parity clause. There's really no way to know what is and what isn't, and I know there are indie games that have released this year on XB1 that still are not on PS4; and not because they have some times exclusive agreement, but just because the dev targeted XB1 first (for whatever reason).

The point of this thread is indie games coming for one system and not the other. Knowing the disposition of those 70 games is relevant.

I just thought it was obvious since the poster said he went to Xbox.com to count the titles that he was talking about how many games had been released, not how many hadn't been released on PS4. That's what the other dude was questioning.

Did I just miss a meeting or something?

Top Bottom