• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
AeJQm9M.jpg

What is the Hobonichi Techo? I don't speak Japanese, so that could be literally anything on Earth. Color me intrigued.

It's a day planner!

Color me less intrigued.

But maybe one page will say “Ate pork chops today,” and another will say “Had a baby.”

img_cell_01.jpg

In keeping with my habit of making threads on esoteric, fiddly, pen and paper things, here's an entire thread about one specific day planner.

Okay, so I've called it a day planner twice now, and the Hobonichi Techo certainly fits that description. It is indeed a notebook with dates and times printed to help you organize your life. But it's somehow more than that. The creator discusses this in a special message for the 2015 edition:

2015 marks the 14th year since we first created the Hobonichi Techo. As I reflect on the Hobonichi Techo, I’m starting to think it’s growing out of its own definition as a planner. It’s more than just a schedule book to keep appointments, and it’s not quite a diary, nor is it just a notebook. So I just kind of wonder what it really is...
...So starting today, let’s give the Hobonichi Techo a new definition. It’s a Life Book. You’re the author, and you’re writing this book for the very first time.

(Read the full, completely charming, message here)

The creator in question is none other than Shigesato Itoi, the dude who made the Mother series of videogames (Mother 2 is, of course, known as Earthbound in the West. Everyone knows this, right?). He is something of a fixture of Japanese popular culture, well known for his upbeat writings on all sorts of topics, posted to his blog and quoted on the pages of his company's flagship product. I opted for a Japanese model (more on that later), and I'm bummed out that I don't get to see these things. I've sprinkled them throughout this post for your reading pleasure.

That reminds me, I actually bought the same watch as Obama.

Mr. Itoi says all sorts of wonderful things and I highly recommend you read some interviews with him.

So I do Obama at funerals and things. Or when some big knob comes from the government.

Incredible.

So...why is a Hobonichi better than your run of the mill planner? Or using Outlook or your phone or whatever to keep tack of crap? I guess I'm not sure how many people use the Hobonichi as a straight planner. It's a physical product, but when people talk about Hobonichis, they are also referring to a specific style of recording things. The Hobonichi is perhaps most often used as a visual diary - people fill the pages with drawings, watercolor paintings, stamps, stickers, mementos from travels, diary entries...The Hobonichi is especially well suited to this use. This specific use is so associated with the Hobonchi Techo that other notebooks adapted for this use are referred to as "fauxbonichis."

re8-2.jpg

The word "Hobonichi" means "almost everyday," which is wonderful. We need that word in English. Mr. Itoi is big on moving away from what may be seen as a very traditionally Japanese use of a planner, as a rigid document outlining things that must be done each day. An "almost everyday planner" suggests a slightly more leisurely approach to things.

Day planners generally include calendar pages,

img_cell_05.jpg

while the nitty gritty of planning your day is done in this one page a week format:

img_cell_04.jpg

But what makes the Hobonichi Techo unique is that it gives you a full page for every day of the year:

img_cell_01.jpg

The problem with offering a full page for every day of the year, and the reason that most planners do not do this, is that there are literally hundreds of days in most years (the notable exception being 1982, which was called off after only 6 weeks). And, as anyone who has ever dropped a dictionary on their crotch can attest, if you stack up enough paper, you end up with something quite thick and heavy. You can get around this by using very very thin paper, like they use in bibles. However, almost any ink in the world will bleed through bible paper and, if you try to use one as a day planner, people get really upset.

The main design feature of the Hobonichi Techo is its high quality Tomoe River paper. The sheets are ridiculously thin, but specially coated to keep inks exactly where you put them. Writing on Tomoe River paper with a fountain pen is an absolute joy. It is impossibly smooth, like writing on an angel's buttock.

angel-writing-granger.jpg

Fountain pen inks take an extra second or two to dry, and they do show through, but to a remarkably small degree.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt I've convinced you of the greatness of the Hobonichi Techo, but maybe seeing the official cases will help:

zoom_3.jpg

zoom_4.jpg

You can get different materials and designs, but here's the one everyone seems to want:

zoom_2.jpg

(Shipping in December!)

I don't *think* I've lead you astray in my past threads, so you might have to take my word for it a little bit. But, if you're like me and you dig writing things with pen and paper, keeping a journal, and/or planning out your days, the Hobonichi Techo is an amazing product. I've tried various planners over the years and this is by far the best.

Ordering a Hobonichi Techo
The dates in the 2015 Hobonichi Techos follow the actual year, January - December, so there's no need to wait for the new academic year (A Spring Techo begins shipping in March, if you do want an academic year format).

The Hobonichi website is now available in English, as is the planner itself.

>Important!<
There has been some confusion about what you actually need to order.
The planners themselves are at the bottom of the page, under "Planner Book."
The cases listed in the first group, under "Hobonichi Planner" and in the second group, under "Hobonichi Techo Original" are the same size: A6 (you can see this to the right of the section heading). The second group contains the less expensive cases that you're probably after. These all fit the Hobonichi Planner Book. This is the English language version of the original pocket-size planner. The "Hobonichi Techo &#8216;Original&#8217; Book" is the Japanese version of the same A6 planner.
The "Hobonichi Techo &#8216;Cousin&#8217; Book" is the larger A5 planner. This is only available in Japanese, but the dates on the page will say 3 5, for example, for March 5, so you don't need to memorize the names of the months in Japanese. You mainly miss out on the quotes and the miscellanea in the back of the book. You'll also need a cover from the "Hobonichi Techo &#8216;Cousin&#8217;" section of cases.
The books and covers are generally sold separately. They mention this all over the place.

The planners are sold exclusively through their website (are there places in Japan that carry them?) - there aren't any (official) resellers. Shipping from Japan is not horrendous, but it's not the cheapest thing in the world. Expect to pay around $15 to get your order to the US. I found that, oddly enough, buying the cover and notebook at the same time brought my shipping cost down. If you're going to order accessories and things as well, you get the best price by buying everything at once.

You have a couple of options when ordering your Hobonichi Techo. The English version of the original Techo is A6 size (5.8"x 4.1"), which is quite small. This is wonderfully pocket-sized, but you may want more room to work with. Also, the original Techo does not include the week pages. You can purchase a slim notebook with week pages separately and tuck it into the official cover.

The original A6 notebook is 2700 yen, about $22. Covers start at 1620 yen, around $14. They ratchet up in price pretty rapidly, with the leather ones being rather expensive. Of special note, the Earthbound cover is about $20. The covers are completely reusable, sturdy, and separate from the inner notebook pages, so you can buy one and use it for several years, you cheap piece of shit.

The Hobonichi Techo "Cousin" is the larger, A5 (8.3"x 5.8" - the size of the larger Moleskine notebook)), version. For 3780 yen (about $32), you get twice the room per page, as well as the week pages. The downside is that the Cousin a) has a strange name and b) is in Japanese. It's completely usable by ignorant gaijin, but you won't be able to read the cool quotes or the additional pages of fun information in the back.

(2014 Techo images from MR4001)

A guide to sushi!

A guide to sake and how to hold chopsticks. All vital information.
Tea drinking around the world.

(2015 edition images from SteveWinwood)

How to use a traditional Japanese inn and bath.
Spices and herbs.

Here's my Hobonichi Techo Cousin. It came with a free Uni multipen (which is actually not bad!) and a little neoprene tissue holder.

I tucked a 28-page A5 notebook in the back cover of my Techo Cousin for extra writing space:

Here's an A6 version.

If you have Hobonichi Techo questions, ask away. Several GAF members have the 2015 edition already. If you have, or have had a Techo, please share how you used/plan on using it!

Bonus Hobonichi dating tip from Shigesato Itoi himself!

It&#8217;s fun at a bar when you&#8217;re talking to a girl you&#8217;ve just met to say &#8220;I&#8217;ll draw a plan of your room.&#8221; And she&#8217;ll say, &#8220;How do you know what it&#8217;s like?&#8221; And then you can play at being a fortune teller. You start with &#8220;Okay, here&#8217;s the door.&#8221; And she&#8217;ll be all eyes on what you&#8217;re doing. That&#8217;s lots of fun. And it&#8217;s easy with graph paper.

:/

You've made me excited.

Over a day planner.

Yeah... I carry an iPad, a sketchbook, a small notebook and my phone with me every day. Plenty to keep track of my days and do whatever I want, and logistically speaking, it's already an unwieldy stack.

Despite this, the OP has kinda made me want one of these!

Looks kinda cool, I might buy one as a gift for my wife the next year. But I went to the website, click in Hobonichi Techo Original and it says cover only, can I buy the you know, planner with that? how?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Thanks!

Also, WTF! why the first option is so expensive? I mean, 34K yen thats like 300 usd! ¿Can I just buy the Hobonichi Planner book and then a cover like the earthbound cover? I mean, the difference in prices is way above my budget :p

That first section is all leather cases. The "Hobonichi Techo ‘Original’" cases are the same size. If it doesn't say "Cousin," it's for the smaller original/planner book. the black one ("planner") is the English one. The "original" is in Japanese. The "Cousin" is the larger one, only in Japanese.

You can (and should!) buy the planner book and the Earthbound cover!

If you want to keep costs down, the covers are great, but not necessary.

7threst

This is totally my thing! I'm crazy about notebooks, planners and scrapbooks! As soon as I get home I HAVE to get one (or two or three!)

That first section is all leather cases. The "Hobonichi Techo ‘Original’" cases are the same size. If it doesn't say "Cousin," it's for the smaller original/planner book. the black one ("planner") is the English one. The "original" is in Japanese. The "Cousin" is the larger one, only in Japanese.

You can (and should!) buy the planner book and the Earthbound cover!

If you want to keep costs down, the covers are great, but not necessary.

That explains it, Thanks a lot Bagels

See, my only problem is my really limited budget, I mean, I have like 14 dollars of "me" money per month right now(being unemployed for a long period of time is no fun kids!), so this thing will be definitely be a gift for the wife the next year when my budget is less limited. But damn it, you know how to sell a daily planner(obviously I will be skipping your other threads to protect my anemic wallet)

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Of note is that since the prices are in yen, if you're paying with dollars you stand to make a little cash back.

6900 JPY ended up as about $58.

Well Bagels, you convinced me. I was already yearning for one after your last thread that mentioned them, but I figure something like this will make a nice Christmas present, and will arrive just in time for the new year.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Here's my Hobonichi Techo Cousin all closed up, with a 330 page novel to show how thick it is. Without the case or extra notebook I have in there, the planner itself is about the same size as the novel, despite being closer to 400 pages.

You can close the cover by sliding a pen through both pen loops - clever!
Also shown: my prized LILBUB autographed photo.

Shipping to the US was fast, but the costs add up.

It's a pricey investment for a notebook, but it's incredibly well thought out, beautifully designed, and it just kind of makes me happy. Again, the covers are sturdy and reusable, so that can be a one-time cost, or you can forgo the cover and just use the book. I've seen a few Hobonichi covers on Etsy as well. Finally, googling "fauxbonichi" will give you some ideas for making a much cheaper Hobonichi-style notebook. Beware that, to some people, a Mead notebook counts as a fauxbonichi if you just tape your plane tickets in it. You have to poke around a bit to find quality examples.

I think the original pocket-size notebook, with a cover, for $45 is a fair price. If it encourages you to jot down some notes every day or two, it makes for a wonderful little record of your life. Everything about it just makes you want to have it with you and write things down.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Thanks for the info.. could you show some pics of pages you have actually used ? do you put pictures on your pages? i'm curious.

Daily pages don't start until January 1. The very first image at the top of the page is from the weekly pages, which started this month. I don't have much in there yet - I'll start for realsies in January.

peakish

Here's my Hobonichi Techo Cousin all closed up, with a 330 page novel to show how thick it is. Without the case or extra notebook I have in there, the planner itself is about the same size as the novel, despite being closer to 400 pages.

You can close the cover by sliding a pen through both pen loops - clever!
Also shown: my prized LILBUB autographed photo.

Shipping to the US was fast, but the costs add up.

It's a pricey investment for a notebook, but it's incredibly well thought out, beautifully designed, and it just kind of makes me happy. Again, the covers are sturdy and reusable, so that can be a one-time cost, or you can forgo the cover and just use the book. I've seen a few Hobonichi covers on Etsy as well. Finally, googling "fauxbonichi" will give you some ideas for making a much cheaper Hobonichi-style notebook. Beware that, to some people, a Mead notebook counts as a fauxbonichi if you just tape your plane tickets in it. You have to poke around a bit to find quality examples.

I think the original pocket-size notebook, with a cover, for $45 is a fair price. If it encourages you to jot down some notes every day or two, it makes for a wonderful little record of your life. Everything about it just makes you want to have it with you and write things down.
That's a really nice cover, I love that orange. It definitely is a bit pricey, but I folded anyway and got one since I never bother writing down small things on my computer. I hope it'll be easier with a notebook. Also, I'm a sucker for good looking things.

3rd year going and I love it even if I don't write in it enough.
I always love your threads Bagels.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Itoi is my hero.

3rd year going and I love it even if I don't write in it enough.
I always love your threads Bagels.

Hey, thanks! I felt bad because I didn't pack in as many silly jokes to the OP. I'm glad people like it all the same!

How have you used your Hobonichis? More as a planner or more as a journal/diary? Both? Neither?

Zoe

Very interesting!

I don't think I would ever do any of this because I just don't have the discipline to make it worth it, but I have been thinking about keeping some kind of journal at some point (though I was expecting digital).

Timeaisis

Bagels, I don't know how you do it but each and every one of your threads makes me excited for things I've never had interest in before.

This sounds really fun. Thank you.

Oh man, I spent the whole afternoon yesterday looking at planners and memo books, thanks for the thread!

Incidentally, I hope Field Notes will release a *daily* planner sooner or later.

entremet

I heard of this planner on one of my favorite website recently. Funny that you made a thread about it.

I've used electronic planners for a while, but I'm back to analog again. I miss it and there's something reinforcing about longhand.

vid

I had the 2013 planner and it brought me way more joy than I expected from a "day planner" - The layout and form factor really make it special, and if you can avoid "cheating" and looking ahead, the little quotes every other day quickly become a thing you'll look forward to. I regret not picking one up for 2014, but I won't let it pass by again.

You guys might also be interested in this blog put together by the translator responsible for the English version of the Hobonichi Techo. It gets updated pretty regularly with photos submitted by people using the techo in creative ways.

entremet

I had the 2013 planner and it brought me way more joy than I expected from a "day planner" - The layout and form factor really make it special, and if you can avoid "cheating" and looking ahead, the little quotes every other day quickly become a thing you'll look forward to. I regret not picking one up for 2014, but I won't let it pass by again.

You guys might also be interested in this blog put together by the translator responsible for the English version of the Hobonichi Techo. It gets updated pretty regularly with photos submitted by people using the techo in creative ways.

Wow. Stationary stuff seems to be very popular in Japan; they even have special decals!

Metaroo

Subbed. I want 10.

Edit: ...I think I'll get this for someone as an anniversary gift as well. Bless you, Bagels.

DOUBLE EDIT: IT WORKS EDITION: THE EDIT BOX CLOSED ON ITS OWN. BLESS YOU, GAF.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Man, the cover is so nice... but I don't know what I'd use a weekly planner for. Shame it doesn't come with a more open notebook style like how the Midori does.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
The delay....so worth it. I'm sorry I ever doubted you Bagels, subbing at the speed of light.

I've had a bit of writer's block lately. I'm really glad people are finding this thread compelling because it was unusually hard for me to put together and I'm still not crazy happy with it.

Just bought the standard-sized/original Japanese planner as a Christmas present for myself. Looked fun and interesting enough to try out. I'm addicted to all things paper, stationary, and pens.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You can always slot any A5 or A6 notebook into a Hobonichi cover and fauxbonichi it up.

That Tomoe River paper thoughhhhhhhh

I like the colors of the "Original" planner, A6 size. But the only notebooks I order are A5 (Midori), of which the Cousin covers are twice as expensive and not as muted for my tastes. I'm rather picky as you know! Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom