• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

16206479097_97cf7a14ec_o.jpg

I get the impression this guy is kind of a badass.

Spazznid

16206479097_97cf7a14ec_o.jpg

I get the impression this guy is kind of a badass.

Kind of.

I remember when I upgraded my videocard and loaded up this game, this scene, where the elf-dude is walking through the cave, running at 60 fps was almost surreal. Now, I find it annoying that 4K isn't running at 60 fps... Times are so different.

Afro

Not bad. Won't be taking any more of these until a true CA fix is released though.
also: what the absolute fuck @ Unreal Paris.

239140_2015-01-28_000swuw1.jpg

After I saw a video of this I thought it looked pretty nice but after I downloaded and launched it...
In realtime I don't find it too amazing. Baking, that CA is a no-go and considering the size of the apartment, texture quality on some assets could be better. Reflections in bathroom and on the metal surfaces in kitchen ruined it for me. Dat PBR is good tho and TAA is very nice.
Overall it still looks nice but man that CA doesn't belong in this kind of setting.

Xyber

Jesus, what's up with the CA hate lately? It´s not that bad guys.

Yes it is, that's pretty much a proven fact.

Like everything, it has its time and place. For the most part the effect is way to strong like seen in pre-patch Lords of the Fallen and now Dying Light.

It ruins the entire image and makes it look blurry.

Corpekata

Banned
Doesn't help that pretty very few of the games that have it don't let you remove it normally. Lords of the Fallen patched it in at least but seems like you have to go digging through files to remove it in most instances (if it can be at all).

Thorgal

CA by itself is not bad no , infact in some games i like the look that it brings .

BUT CA should only be used in Moderation .

However it seems like most Developers never heard of that and crank the setting up to eleven and then think it looks awesome .

And then to top it off they give no option to switch it off or even tweak the setting .

also Take a look at RL photography : Camera making Companies spend Boatloads of money on R&D to remove/lessen the CA effect .

SO why then should we , as people who have a passion for taking Screens /photos of beautiful scenery in games have to put up with having it thickly smeared all over our screens and live with it ?

Now, I find it annoying that 4K isn't running at 60 fps... Times are so different.
Yeah, its been a blast going back through some of my favorite games and downsampling them at a locked 60fps. With regard to the Witcher 2, I'm able to maintain 60fps @ 3040x1900 only when I disable ubersampling (which I have). Ubersampling's added gfx fidelity is not worth the %40 performance hit.

For the people who hate CA in games, I've kind of found a way to almost disable/make it way less noticable in any game as long as the game works with ReShade. (Might also work with Boulotaur's SweetFX but haven't tried).

So today I launched UE4 Paris techdemo and the CA instantly struck me. I've also been watching my brother play Dying Light and the CA in that one is just horrible.

The key to all this is CA itself in ReShade. It's pretty simple. I launched UE4 Paris with ReShade and as many of the values in ReShade also work as negative ones, I decided to try my luck. Enabled CA through ReShade and turned it negative like this:

//CHROMATICABBERATION
#define ChromaticAmount -0.005
#define LensSize 0.50
#define LensDistortion 0.00
#define LensDistortionCubic 0.00

And
giphy.gif

Chromatic Aberration was almost not visible anymore.
I tried to take screens of this in UE4 Paris but I just get a black screenshot when I try to...
So I moved on to AC: Unity Dead Kings DLC which also has a terrible amount of CA.
In Unity I had to use positive values to get rid of CA. Negative values just made it stronger. I also had to tweak "#define LensSize" because some CA amounts make the image a bit distorted in the border of your monitor...

Here's a good comparison I took from Unity Dead Kings DLC...
Mouse on image is with this fix and off image is without.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/112148

Only downside to this is that although your CA is gone it adds CA to your HUD. But it's not a bad tradeoff for a much cleaner image. I don't recommend using this for a game that uses CA only occasionally since this would remove CA at the times it's being used by the game engine but would also add CA to every other scene when CA is not used by the engine.

Those Unreal shots don't do it for me. A lot of the objects look like they're hovering, such as the lamp, the glass vase, the objects on the worktops and coffee table.

Yarbskoo

It's ugly and doesn't add anything in most cases. To me, it just looks like distortion. If your character is looking through some kind of headset or is wearing corrective lenses like I do, then that's one thing, but just throwing it on a floating camera isn't going to enhance my experience in any way. It's not unlike aliasing or compression artifacts for what it does to image quality.

It's bad enough to wear glasses that let me see it in real life. When it's on the screen as well, it's just that much worse.

Timu

It's not bad when it's subtle like in Outlast and Alien Isolation...it's bad when it's overdone like in a lot of games recently. It's unnecessary to add so much when it doesn't enhance anything visually while ruining image quality. It can be a eyesore when there's too much of it.

davejonnes

Neo Member
That's brilliant. I might play around with ReShade in Dying Light to see if I can get rid of it. That is until someone finds a way to mod it out of the game entirely. Chrome Engine is very mod friendly.

Thanks for the tips :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/9/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/1/?

EDIT: Disregard the first link, I put the wrong one. I meant to put this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/5/? <<<<removes CA.

For the people playing Dying Light, do yourself a favor and download these...turns off film grain and CA, and OH MY! It's a much better looking game without it.

BTW, Dying Light has some horrible CPU optimization...I see one single core at pretty much 90-100% all the time, bad bad advantage of threading. I do have a gaming laptop(GTX 970m, i7 4170HQ), but I run far cry 4 ultra @1080 with 60FPS no problem. Even Unity runs an average of 45fps on ultra... Dying Light will be running at 60 and drop to 27 on some areas...

http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/9/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/1/?

For the people playing Dying Light, do yourself a favor and download these...turns off film grain and CA, and OH MY! It's a much better looking game without it.

BTW, Dying Light has some horrible CPU optimization...I see one single core at pretty much 90-100% all the time, bad bad advantage of threading. I do have a gaming laptop(GTX 970m, i7 4170HQ), but I run far cry 4 ultra @1080 with 60FPS no problem. Even Unity runs an average of 45fps on ultra... Dying Light will be running at 60 and drop to 27 on some areas...

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the bloom removal. Sure it's maybe overdone a bit, but the game looks pretty bland as it is, and the "after" image looks a lot MORE bland.

All I want is CA and grain removal....

Shumafuk

Yes it is, that's pretty much a proven fact.

Like everything, it has its time and place. For the most part the effect is way to strong like seen in pre-patch Lords of the Fallen and now Dying Light.

It ruins the entire image and makes it look blurry.

Funny thing is, that unwanted properties of lens like CA, vignette, lens flare, grain and so on that film makers and photographers spend a lot of money to not have it is usually added to game visual as... realism? Improve of visual? Of course, there are few games that use it for purpose or art intention, but not so many.

Yea, I don't get too.

Top Bottom