• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Pokémon US National Championships | July 3rd-5th | Indianapolis, IN | Livestream

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We have all the pieces, though. It's so easy to get viable Pokémon these days. People just choose not to play properly.

Selecting Continue, pressing A, turning your 3DS off if your legendary isn't Shiny, turning your 3DS back on, and repeating seems like an odd conception of "proper". I mean, the only meaningful distinction between that and hacking is about ten hours of boredom.

TreIII

Hmm. And these are the events that TPC wants Pokkén to eventually take its rightful place at, eh?

Quite interesting.

JoeM86

But they're not cheating. It's not like they're running Heatran with Levitate.

Come on now. The rules clearly state that editing Pokémon using external hardware and software is cheating and against the rules. Just because they look legitimate doesn't mean they weren't cheating.

You can bet that if they could prove it, the players that did it would be disqualified, just like that guy who made the obvious Volcarona and got caught yesterday.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im actually quite a fan of watching professional competetive pokemon play. Been having the urge to watch some for a few days now.

Come on now. The rules clearly state that editing Pokémon using external hardware and software is cheating and against the rules. Just because they look legitimate doesn't mean they weren't cheating.

You can bet that if they could prove it, the players that did it would be disqualified, just like that guy who made the obvious Volcarona and got caught yesterday.
Oh? What Volcarona?

A player had a Level 50 Volcarona on his team (before the Level 50 drop). He got into the second day before anyone noticed. They really need to step up the hack checks.
...These hack checks are horrible.

Also that is a dumb reason for somebody to get themselves DQed.

Azuran

Banned
If the Pokémon were created using an external source then they aren't legit at all, regardless if they pass the check or not.

They pass the checks so that means they're legit. Until GF finds a way to prevent players from using external sources, they will keep doing it because the requirements to build a simple team from scratch are insane even with all the improvements and shortcut they added this gen.

I'm not going to blame anyone for not wanting to spend up to 10 hours soft resetting and biking around the same road while they're at the RNG's mercy. At the end of the day, battling skills is what matters the most in competitive Pokemon not who has the most time in their hands for inane grinding.

JoeM86

...These hack checks are horrible.

Also that is a dumb reason for somebody to get themselves DQed.

They should just let me at them. I can sort it out so it catches as much out as humanly possible, including clones.

They pass the checks so that means they're legit. Until GF finds a way to prevent players from using external sources, they will keep doing it because the requirements to build a simple team from scratch are insane even with all the improvements and shortcut they added this gen.

I'm not going to blame anyone for not wanting to spend up to 10 hours soft resetting and biking around the same road while they're at the RNG's mercy. At the end of the day, battling skills is what matters the most in competitive Pokemon not who has the most time in their hands for inane grinding.

Just because they pass checks doesn't make it legit. The rules are the rules and the rules state they're not legit so they're not legit. Doesn't matter if it's done by many or if it's because it's "hard" to make a team. It's against the rules and people shouldn't do it.

Plus, the Volcarona proves hack checks are inefficient. It happened with a Hydreigon at UK Nationals, too.

Azuran

Banned
They should just let me at them. I can sort it out so it catches as much out as humanly possible, including clones.

Just because they pass checks doesn't make it legit. The rules are the rules and the rules state they're not legit so they're not legit. Doesn't matter if it's done by many or if it's because it's "hard" to make a team. It's against the rules and people shouldn't do it.

I really don't want this thread to turn into yet another hacking/cheating argument but things won't change until GF actually does something in their games. Unlike other competitive games, Pokemon has these huge pointless entry barriers that prevents most people from even giving it a try. It shouldn't have to take someone weeks to create a decent team especially when you're a beginner that has no idea where to even begin.

I dislike hacking as much as everyone, but I'm also not going to complain about the community and the "cheating" on it because I understand from first hand experience that amount of pointless grinding that goes into this.

Azuran that's not what legit means. Legit means you got the Pokemon through legitimate means. Some people use "legal" for that sort of thing but I think the most accurate word is "undetectable". At least it would be if the hack checks weren't a piece of shit.

Also if people could stop distributing hacked balls over Wonder Trade then that would be great.

Pappasman

Hacking perfectly legal pokemon shouldn't be an issue imo. It just saves time without a bunch of grindy bullshit.

I mean its obvious in this match. 2 hatched eggs? Really? Lol.

nubbe

Hmm. And these are the events that TPC wants Pokkén to eventually take its rightful place at, eh?

Quite interesting.

the Pokémon World Championships is promoted in ORAS

they definitely want it to become a legit eSports
but they need to remove the 200 hour minimum gameplay that's needed to created something competitive in game to get going

StoneFox

Hacking perfectly legal pokemon shouldn't be an issue imo. It just saves time without a bunch of grindy bullshit.

I mean its obvious in this match. 2 hatched eggs? Really? Lol.
2 hatched eggs could just mean they use X/Y for breeding :p

That's what I do, more money on my X file.

JoeM86

the Pokémon World Championships is promoted in ORAS

they definitely want it to become a legit eSports
but they need to remove the 200 hour minimum gameplay that's needed to created something competitive in game to get going

You really don't need that much time.

It's a part of the game. It's not just about the battles, it's about making sure you can get the Pokémon to that point.

Kasumin

Did Raphael's Thundurus not have Hidden Power Ice? I was confused that he went for Swagger on Landorus instead of HP Ice.

Good match, though. I really like Toler's playing style. I'll definitely be taking a look at his team because I also use Mega Gardevoir and my current team isn't really cutting it as of late.

Azuran

Banned
Did Raphael's Thundurus not have Hidden Power Ice? I was confused that he went for Swagger on Landorus instead of HP Ice.

Good match, though. I really like Toler's playing style. I'll definitely be taking a look at his team because I also use Mega Gardevoir and my current team isn't really cutting it as of late.

It didn't. He was running Tbolt/Swagger/Taunt/T-Wave. That endgame would have certainly would been more manageable with another offensive move there.

The teams.

backlot

Choice Scarf Excadrill I'm guessing.

Nah, Scarf Excadrill on a sand team would be ridiculous. Excadrill went first because it has higher base speed than standard form Gardevoir. The commentator who said Gardevoir was faster just got caught up in the hype. In reality, most Mega Gardevoir these days don't even run max speed.

He really should have Super Fanged Gardevoir rather than Landorus.

I think Super Fang followed by Knock Off was his best chance at taking out Landorus. Otherwise that Lando would have slowly taken out his Scrafty. Thundurus's only way of damaging Lando at all was Swagger. I think hoping for a paralyzed, confused Gardevoir to miss one more turn probably had higher odds in the end but it just didn't work out for him.

Azuran

Banned
Nah, Scarf Excadrill on a sand team would be ridiculous. Excadrill went first because it has higher base speed than standard form Gardevoir. The commentator who said Gardevoir was faster just got caught up in the hype. In reality, most Mega Gardevoir these days don't even run max speed.

Yeah, I figured that bit out after a simple search. For some reason, I keep confusing him with Scizor and assuming his base speed was in the 60s. The fact that a lot of them always run Choice Scarf doesn't seem to help me either. This is also why I suck at Pokemon more often than not.

Kasumin

It didn't. He was running Tbolt/Swagger/Taunt/T-Wave. That endgame would have certainly would been more manageable with another offensive move there.

Ha! Live by Swagger, die by Swagger, I suppose. I looked at the teams on the site but I was paying more attention to Toler's team since I'm thinking of maybe adapting it for my own use. If I was going to use Swagger, I'd replace T-Wave or Taunt. HP Ice has proven way too useful for me to ever get rid of it. And his match pretty much proves how important HP Ice is with Landorus being so popular.

Mr-Joker

Banned
That was a great match, though both team nearly had the same Pokémon, heck both of their Gardevoir were shiny. -_-

nubbe

That was a great match, though both team nearly had the same Pokémon, heck both of their Gardevoir were shiny. -_-

Some Pokes just shine so easy

h9njRbF.png

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's a part of the game. It's not just about the battles, it's about making sure you can get the Pokémon to that point.

And that would be okay if this was interesting and entertaining gameplay, but it's not. It's 10 hours of Bike Sim 2K15 followed by 10 hours of Genghis' Horde special.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
And that would be okay if this was interesting and entertaining gameplay, but it's not. It's 10 hours of Bike Sim 2K15 followed by 10 hours of Genghis' Horde special.

Yeah it blows. Granted it takes less time now, but the time spent remains a repetitive drag a lot of people can no longer justify.

Senior Winner's Latios set, according to the site: Psychic/Heal Pulse/Ice Beam/Grass Knot

...Did it really not have a Dragon-type attack? If true then wow, that really challenges conventional wisdom.

Okay found out why no dragon move:
I didn't use [Heal Pulse] in the tournament or in practice. I was really pressed for time when it came to finishing Latios, as I had to play through all of Omega Ruby two days before the tournament, and it would have taken too long to up it's friendship enough to teach it the move I wanted it to have, Draco Meteor.

I guess I'm not too nice to my dragon types...
Oh okay lol

Firestorm

I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament! A little disappointed I missed the invite but it's fully my fault. Choked in my final set of the day. I played 26 of a possible 27 games as all my sets but one went to all three games. The only one that didn't was against a Minimize Clefable so even though I won 2-0 I was taking most of my time to make sure I had the option to timer stall if things got hairy...

And man I just want one Pokemon thread on GAF where Joe doesn't derail it with his inane arguments :(
How did M-Gardevoir not outspeed Excadrill?!?!?! Oh my Arceus!
Turn order is determined before mega evolution. Gardevoir has base 80 speed vs Excadrill at base 88. TR Hybrid Gardevoir usually runs just enough speed to outspeed Bisharp by 1 or 2 stat points which is around 20 EVs iirc. It would have been super surprising if Excadrill didn't outspeed. Justin just got a little excited and forgot in the heat of the moment.

I enjoyed it, was great. Still have to catch up on Day 2 though, didn't pay much attention that day.

Minimize Clefable eh? Not a fan of Minimize myself.

Top Bottom