• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Hobonichi Techo ITOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Man, I always go for the Mother 2 covers but the new Magicant cover is really lacklustre. So many repeating images and it just pales to last years superior effort.

Fortunately the Dokonoko one really caught my eye so I went with that.

gaiages

Banned
I got the light grey cover, since my bf bought my Techo this year as an early Christmas gift. I'm excited! :)

Hoping that this felt cover will last a couple years so I don't have to buy another next year. I like my light blue cover and all, but it's way too easy for it to get dirty, lol.

Man, I messed up by not going through the accessories before ordering.

Would have loved to get the pencil board and maybe a few other things in the same order.

Edit: Nevermind! Apparently they thought of this and let you merge orders if they haven't been prepped yet!

BTA

Oooh, that 5 year journal looks rad, though I tend to write more than that space would provide for. Shame it's not in English and/or the bigger journal size; I pretty much only use my Techo as a journal currently so the bigger size would be worth it for having 5 years.

Anyway, regarding next year's, I don't need any special cover so I'll probably just wait for Jetpens to sell them again. Or just ask a friend currently in Japan to pick me up a planner (assuming they still don't sell any bundles with the English version in physical stores); I can reuse my current cover for another year if needed.

Tomita

Forgot to buy one yesterday, but I got the original version with the Mother 2 Memories cover today. I like the red scheme on it and prefer that it's plainer to the other options. Appreciate that they threw in a protective covering for it too. Is it weird I'm excited to get the "free" meal dice they tossed into the order with it as well? They look cute and definitely justify my ¥6900 purchase, lol.

Bought my first fountain pen ever for this planner, the workhorse Pilot Metropolitan. It writes really well, but I still apply more pressure than I expected. Gotta practice that.

I imagine the bulb ink converter that comes with the pen is good enough, no? Or is there a converter that is highly recommended as a replacement (like the CON-50)?

Also want to try some blue inks. Of the Pilot Iroshizuku inks, which blue dries the fastest and least likely to bleed through the Tomoe river paper? Or are they all the same?

gaiages

Banned
Forgot to buy one yesterday, but I got the original version with the Mother 2 Memories cover today. I like the red scheme on it and prefer that it's plainer to the other options. Appreciate that they threw in a protective covering for it too. Is it weird I'm excited to get the "free" meal dice they tossed into the order with it as well? They look cute and definitely justify my ¥6900 purchase, lol.

lol I'm excited for them too, though they'll probably just sit and look pretty on my desk other than be useful, like my buttered toast itty bitty plate I got last year xD

Honestly I really go like getting the bonus item and pen. The pen is great for jotting down things when I don't have access to my gel pens :D

Bought my first fountain pen ever for this planner, the workhorse Pilot Metropolitan. It writes really well, but I still apply more pressure than I expected. Gotta practice that.

I imagine the bulb ink converter that comes with the pen is good enough, no? Or is there a converter that is highly recommended as a replacement (like the CON-50)?

Also want to try some blue inks. Of the Pilot Iroshizuku inks, which blue dries the fastest and least likely to bleed through the Tomoe river paper? Or are they all the same?

I personally use the Con-50 converters, but that's because I couldn't get the hang of using the bulb converter.

My favorite blue is Kon-peki. I also like Ama-iro. I've never had a problem with bleed through, just light shadowing on the next page (err the back of the page that's written on sorry idk how to word it) but that's normal.

I personally use the Con-50 converters, but that's because I couldn't get the hang of using the bulb converter.

My favorite blue is Kon-peki. I also like Ama-iro. I've never had a problem with bleed through, just light shadowing on the next page (err the back of the page that's written on sorry idk how to word it) but that's normal.
Awesome, thanks.

Tomita

lol I'm excited for them too, though they'll probably just sit and look pretty on my desk other than be useful, like my buttered toast itty bitty plate I got last year xD

Honestly I really go like getting the bonus item and pen. The pen is great for jotting down things when I don't have access to my gel pens :D

The extra pen is nice too. Maybe it can slowly convert me to using pen in my Techo :p

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Hobonichi purchased! It's back to an A6 English version for me this year. I think my 2017 choice, the Cousin Avec (the Avec versions divide the planner into 2 books with pages for 6 months each), may be the sweet spot for form and function - the Cousin's larger pages are wonderful, but the full version is quite the hunk of notebook to carry around - if you want one notebook to rule them all. I want something smaller to carry around every day, and I'm hoping it will force me to break out one of my 1000 other notebooks for some longer form stuff.

aircnJG.jpg

As others have said, the CON-50 beats the squeezy converter any day.

Inks are not going to bleed through Tomoe River paper, but drying time will always be a bit long. I love all of the blues in the Iroshizuku line, so pick a color you like. My other suggestion is to check out the Robert Oster Signature Ink line. This is the current hotness in the fountain pen world. They are wonderfully affordable, well behaved, and available in an endless array of colors. Robert Oster is a genius at creating shading and sheen - definitely check out the blues he makes! Fire and Ice or Blue Water Ice are both complex blues, with lots of shading and sheen.

Vanness Pens has become my go to for inks these days. They carry some brands I don't see anywhere else and, like Goulet Pens, they sell samples of just about everything. They are super duper nice - I need a reason to travel to Arkansas to visit the actual shop!

Oh! My other suggestion for cool blue inks would be the Dutch P. W. Akkerman line. They come in fantastic bottles and the colors are amazing. I originally discovered Vanness because they carry Akkerman inks in the US.

Nopren

It is not an Iroshizuku ink, but my favourite blue is the Rohrer and Klingner Iron/Gall-nut ink "Salix". It has some neat but understated shading, dries very fast and is waterproof to boot.
A real workhorse ink.

Seconding Fire and Ice recommendation from Robert Oster. It's a gorgeous ink.

Never heard of Vaness but since it's pay day and I'm itching for new inks....

I feel so guilty for not writing every day in my 2017 book, but now I want to preorder a 2018 planner.

None of the current covers really speak to me so I think I'll just pick up an English planner and see if I can keep up this year.

The Mother 2 covers are kinda lame this year and I wish they put out Mother 3 covers instead.

gaiages

Banned
I feel so guilty for not writing every day in my 2017 book, but now I want to preorder a 2018 planner.

None of the current covers really speak to me so I think I'll just pick up an English planner and see if I can keep up this year.

The Mother 2 covers are kinda lame this year and I wish they put out Mother 3 covers instead.

I had a good three week period where I ignored the planner completely, and plenty of skipped days.

I think the quote on the Sept 1st page is quite fitting, that even the blank pages are meaningful :p

(Well it doesn't say EXACTLY that but I don't feel like typing it out)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I had a good three week period where I ignored the planner completely, and plenty of skipped days.

I think the quote on the Sept 1st page is quite fitting, that even the blank pages are meaningful :p

(Well it doesn't say EXACTLY that but I don't feel like typing it out)

I haven't made a ton of entries in my Hobonichi in the last month. This is my third(!) year using one and I wish I could say that either I have become a faithful daily writer OR that it no longer bothers me to let pages go by unused, but neither is really the case. New people in these threads often voice these exact concerns - will I actually use this (relatively expensive) thing? And if I do, will I go nuts worrying about getting something down every day? I'd love to hit that Hobonichi ideal - almost every day! - and make Shigesato Itoi proud of me. That's all I've ever wanted, honestly. Being as neurotic as I am, I know that the platonic ideal of relaxed, life-affirming Hobonichi use will always remain beyond my grasp. BUT! I do feel like I am getting closer each year.

One reason I really like this thread is that seeing it update gives me a little push to break out my Hobonichi and jot some things down. I'm excited for the 2018 thread to go up to capture that initial excitement again. I used to look at more Hobonichi blogs, which also inspired me to write and draw more. On the other hand, our current political landscape has sort of crushed my interest in recording the passage of time. There is not a ton I want to remember from Anno Domini 2017. I want to hype myself up for a Pepys' diary record of the Great Fire of London kinda thing, where I chronicle the unfolding catastrophe for future generations, but I don't really have it in me right now.

I hope that is a realistic view from - if I may be so bold - one of GAF's premiere Hobonichi enthusiasts.

I'll probably preorder the 2018 English planner and just keep the Mother 2 Memories cover I have, though I kinda want the pen and meal dice lol.

Soulfire

I've been using mine lately to take notes while watching Star Trek for a TV club I'm taking part in. Since I've already got it out for that, I'm more likely to jot down a few other things that have been going on. Sure sometimes it's just trek, but sometimes I note down whatever new thing my kids are doing.

I'm planning on getting another planner for next year but I'm holding off buying it for now. I'm really hoping they come out with some new covers, I didn't get a new one last year and I'd really like too, but none of them really jump out to me this year.

Nezumi

Ordered mine. Decided to go for the Cousin with the Three Cats Cover. I liked some of the Planner covers more but in the end I just wanted more space.

Already giddy when I get mine in October when I visit my sister in law in Japan ( send it to her to save some money on shipping.)

I will spend so much money on stickers and other stationary stuff when I'm over there...

maven

Hmmm. 2017 was my first year using the techo. I don't know if I'll pull the trigger again. I've been pretty good with writing something each day, but I feel like most of the time I'm just doing it out of obligation, rather than having anything interesting to note down.

I've got a seven seas notebook that I've been using as a bullet journal. I've been a lot less regular with this, but am considering trying to combine the techo daily entries with the bullet journal to keep everything together. Hopefully that will also help me use the bullet journal more, because it definitely helps me keep my shit together when I do it daily.

gaiages

Banned
Hmmm. 2017 was my first year using the techo. I don't know if I'll pull the trigger again. I've been pretty good with writing something each day, but I feel like most of the time I'm just doing it out of obligation, rather than having anything interesting to note down.

I've got a seven seas notebook that I've been using as a bullet journal. I've been a lot less regular with this, but am considering trying to combine the techo daily entries with the bullet journal to keep everything together. Hopefully that will also help me use the bullet journal more, because it definitely helps me keep my shit together when I do it daily.

I came to realize very quickly when jotting everything down every day that not everyday was going to be a fun adventure. Shit, most days aren't. But in the end it's what you like best so if the seven seas notebook is going to work out better than the Hobonichi, I say go for it :D

Off the topic of the post I quoted, I'll likely post pictures of how I started using my Hobonichi since mid-August since it has really helped me a lot in staying organized. People like ideas right? :D

Uh... the Dokono is severely overpriced there, £89?

Even with shipping, ordering it from the Japanese online store works out at about £60

There would be import charges on top of that £60 however unless it snuck through Her Majesty's Customs and Excise net unscathed.

I haven't made a ton of entries in my Hobonichi in the last month. This is my third(!) year using one and I wish I could say that either I have become a faithful daily writer OR that it no longer bothers me to let pages go by unused, but neither is really the case. New people in these threads often voice these exact concerns - will I actually use this (relatively expensive) thing? And if I do, will I go nuts worrying about getting something down every day? I'd love to hit that Hobonichi ideal - almost every day! - and make Shigesato Itoi proud of me. That's all I've ever wanted, honestly. Being as neurotic as I am, I know that the platonic ideal of relaxed, life-affirming Hobonichi use will always remain beyond my grasp. BUT! I do feel like I am getting closer each year.

One reason I really like this thread is that seeing it update gives me a little push to break out my Hobonichi and jot some things down. I'm excited for the 2018 thread to go up to capture that initial excitement again. I used to look at more Hobonichi blogs, which also inspired me to write and draw more. On the other hand, our current political landscape has sort of crushed my interest in recording the passage of time. There is not a ton I want to remember from Anno Domini 2017. I want to hype myself up for a Pepys' diary record of the Great Fire of London kinda thing, where I chronicle the unfolding catastrophe for future generations, but I don't really have it in me right now.

I hope that is a realistic view from - if I may be so bold - one of GAF's premiere Hobonichi enthusiasts.

Hey! Me too!

In regard to training yourself to use it daily, I've done this by using my planners for to-do lists (for work and otherwise), guaranteeing that I have *something* written on each page every day. I also try to log every movie I watch with a brief reflection about it, which helps.

My problem is that I don't do anything interesting with mine. I see so many people who can draw wonderful sketches and write beautiful calligraphy, and mine is just filled with boring, functional tasks and reminders. I really need ideas for ways I can mix up my daily routine.

gaiages

Banned
My 2018 Techo arrived yesterday.

Nice! Hoping mine will get here soon but the hurricane probably delayed it.

-

Speaking of delays here's me showing off what I do with my Techo. Meant to post it up last week but... Yeah, Irma and all that.

First off, I usually have trouble making images work properly on mobile and Imgur is blocked at work, so here's the album in case my links fail: https://imgur.com/a/p0GcD

Anyway. So I basically have two jobs and some freelancing stuff on top of it. Both of the jobs are Monday thru Friday ordeals. So, on the weekdays I usually use the Techo to meticulously plan out my day. I'm rather forgetful so having to-do lists and the like helps me not forget anything important.

Here are a couple examples of that. Anything not checked off goes onto the next day's list, generally. I usually have a small space at the end for general notes, as needed.

Saturdays (or days that I don't have my day job!!) are more or less whatever I want/need them for. Normally I make more detailed lists of what I need to do, or just randomly write things journal style. Once in a blue moon I'll draw something.

Examples:

Sunday is kind of a more "the week ahead" thing, with general things I need to get done and reminders for things a little farther off.

Finally I use the first page of the month (the coming up page) to track financial stuff but for obvious reasons I don't have a picture of that.

Elepsis

Neo Member
So I'm in Japan right now, and given how much cheaper it is here than in the U.S. I couldn't resist. In fact, after I agonized over it at the store for a bit, my wife saw how cool it was and decided to get one for herself, too.

I didn't like any of the covers available this year, so I actually bought a different A6 planner from Loft and swapped the cover onto the Hobonichi. (My wife went the Goodbye Penguin route.) We both got the regular Japanese version since the English ones were $5 more expensive, and because it'll give us a chance to poke at the Japanese quotes and see if we can learn how to translate them.

Excited to get going next year!

Been reading these threads since 2015 so I bought a Hobonichi Techo for 2017. Used it pretty consistently for the first month, dropped it shortly after and very rarely write in it. =[ Meanwhile, my girlfriend had a bullet journal and I told her the greatness that is Hobonichi (basically relayed the OP to her). She wanted a Weeks and she loves it. She writes a quick bit for each day, and then does a write-up or drawing for that week, and if she wants to do a prompt, she writes it on the extra back pages.

Now that 2018 is already coming out, looking like I might get a Weeks for myself. =B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom