• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 List of Worst Traffic Jam in the World. Bangkok wins again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/20/aut...x.html?sr=fbCNN022117traffic-rush-hour-cities

Bangkok has the worst evening rush hour traffic in the world for a second consecutive year, according to GPS manufacturer TomTom.
The results were compiled after TomTom tracked a years-worth of traffic in 390 cities across 48 countries.

Here is the 2017 ranking of cities with the most severe evening rush hour traffic:

Bangkok, Thailand
Mexico City, Mexico
Bucharest, Romania
Jakarta, Indonesia
Moscow, Russia
Chongqing, China
Istanbul, Turkey
St. Petersburg, Russia
Zhuhai, China
Santiago, Chile
Guangzhou, China
Shijiazhuang, China
Shenzhen, China
Los Angeles, U.S.
Beijing, China

I can confirm I spent at least 3 to 4 hours for commuting to and from work daily in Bangkok:p

The M.O.B

Jakarta, Indonesia

I can personally attest to this one. What was once a 30 minute ride back to my hotel turned into a 3 hour expensive taxi ride. And there is absolutely no sign that it is going to change any time soon. Jakarta doesn't have the infrastructure to fix their situation.

mxgt

Banned
Bullshit list.

No M25.

Can't take that seriously.

I know we like to bitch about traffic, especially around and in London, but I think we're quite lucky compared to some of these cities.

Saw some pictures of LA rush hour traffic a few months back and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Yup, when I lived in Texas and heard people complaining about traffic I was like "y'all know nothing about traffic jam." Bangkok traffic is the worst and massive rise of population doesn't help. There is really no way to fix it. There is no more space to expand the road and people keep buying more cars.

TwiztidElf

How on earth Australia didn't make the list just shows how FUCKED the rest of you are, cos it's fukking horrible here.

If I was president/prime minister* my number one policy is: cars are only for people who are 1) Disabled or Old, 2) Need it for their job, or 3) Have children.
Everyone else, motorcycles or scooters only. Oh you can't get all your groceries home? Get them delivered - helping build jobs.
Traffic problem fixed.

massoluk

Banned
That's why I stuck to the BTS. It's a tight fit, but better than that traffic.
Tell me about it, I'm ditching my car so hard the minute they actually construct the planned expansion to the suburb that's been in limbo since forever

Right now it just run lap inside the city and connect to airport route.

We could have had mass transit infrastructure prepared earlier, but short sighted people chose to build more toll ways.

Beijing is horrible in certain areas. Inside the city, even during rush hour, is still okay. Try to get outside the city via G6 e.g., you have to wait 1-2 hours. And thats not because of bad traffic (and believe me, the Chinese cant drive well or at least only think about themselves while driving), but because of the toll stations. After the toll stations, the road is free, in front of those at 6-8 pm there is a massive traffic jam.

That's why I stick to the BTS. It's a tight fit, but better than that traffic.

Public transportation is also a problem, at least in Beijing. First of all, the last trains drive at like 23:00 or so, so good luck if you need to get out of downtown later.

Can confirm that Chinas roads in the cities that are listed are bad at rush hour. Bad drivers and a massive rise in private car ownership in the last decade are the main problems. It never used to be like this when I first came to China, rush hour was short and sweet, new roads with lots of lanes.

Took me 3 hours to get from Suvarnabhumi to Soi 19 last month, never had that kind of hard traffic in a long time. Was a bloody Sunday too.

Bangkok really needs to extend the MRT.

It's so useful, and cheap, but so limited.

Well it was built with bribes and laundered money, so no chance while the Army is still in charge.

Ever

Banned
Is Bangkok traffic that bad? It wasn't terrible when I visited last summer. I was in a hotel about a half mile from MBK mall and I loved Thailand. Definitely want to go again in the future.

massoluk

Banned
Is Bangkok traffic that bad? It wasn't terrible when I visited last summer. I was in a hotel about a half mile from MBK mall and I loved Thailand. Definitely want to go again in the future.
To give you an idea, my home is less than 35 km from my office. It usually takes me 1:15-1:30 hr to go to work, 2 hr plus if I miss the early morning window before the REAL jam start

verbatimo

God damn those traffics and I get pissed off if it takes more than 15 - 20 min to get to work.

Living in a city of 62000 people can be a blessing.

Gintamen

Asok MRT and Siam BTS

Since they connected the airport to the system, I have yet to catch a cab the last 3 visits to Bangkok.
Unless you want to nove around the old city, but yes the sky trains and metro are heaven sent.
But taxis are so incredibly cheap, even worth while using during a jam sometimes.

Can confirm that Chinas roads in the cities that are listed are bad at rush hour. Bad drivers and a massive rise in private car ownership in the last decade are the main problems. It never used to be like this when I first came to China, rush hour was short and sweet, new roads with lots of lanes.

In Beijing its mostly toll stations that create a traffic jam. I also wouldnt say they are bad drivers per se, but they only care about themselves, so when I drove to work I saw accidents daily, especially in a roundabout, where two cars crashed into each other, because they didnt wanna back down.

Chuckie

I can personally attest to this one. What was once a 30 minute ride back to my hotel turned into a 3 hour expensive taxi ride. And there is absolutely no sign that it is going to change any time soon. Jakarta doesn't have the infrastructure to fix their situation.

Jakarta is fucking hell in traffic. Last time I went I just gave up on taxis and used a motorcycle instead.

gerg

No India? My colleagues say every city is just smashed with traffic...

From my (extremely minimal) experience in India it seemed that although the density was high (and car ownership has grown extraordinarily in the past few years) people are so aggressive with space management that the traffic flows quite consistently. The amount of traffic that would be reduced in the UK if people actually used the space efficiently!

seanoff

Bangkok is the only place ive crossed the road by stepping ON the traffic.

That place is mental. Often quicker to walk than trying to take any sort of motorised vehicle

Shanghai traffic wasnt that bad when i was last there. It was heavy but not stupid.

Patrick S.

Banned
No Lima, Peru? On the way from the airport to my in-laws' house, which took more than an hour for a route that should take 15 minutes, I wasn't sure if I was going to die from either one of the crazy kamikazes or from breathing the incredibly awful smelling smog coming out of the millions of pieces of trash that drive on Lima's roads.

Tuck

How on earth Australia didn't make the list just shows how FUCKED the rest of you are, cos it's fukking horrible here.

If I was president/prime minister* my number one policy is: cars are only for people who are 1) Disabled or Old, 2) Need it for their job, or 3) Have children.
Everyone else, motorcycles or scooters only. Oh you can't get all your groceries home? Get them delivered - helping build jobs.
Traffic problem fixed.
Motorbikes would not fix the problem.

Visit Hanoi or Saigon in Vietnam and you'll see what I mean.

Trickster

What makes LA's traffic so bad? I would imagine that a city like NY would have worse traffic. LA seems like a city that's very spread out while NY is clumbed together

Garuda1One

it is bad, but its definitely predictable
its hell during morning rush hour, afternoon-evening rush hour, weekends, and when its raining. Friday afternoon rush hour is the worst.

Imagine a raining Friday afternoon.

Yup, when I lived in Texas and heard people complaining about traffic I was like "y'all know nothing about traffic jam." Bangkok traffic is the worst and massive rise of population doesn't help. There is really no way to fix it. There is no more space to expand the road and people keep buying more cars.
I was watching a show the other day where they were describing how the city is literally sinking into the water a little bit every year. The rise in population and construction is hastening the sinking.
Kind of sad - I want to retire here, I love it so much. Fingers crossed.

Asok MRT and Siam BTS

Since they connected the airport to the system, I have yet to catch a cab the last 3 visits to Bangkok.
You must not go out after midnight, then. It's a feeding frenzy on farangs' wallets.

Tell me about it, I'm ditching my car so hard the minute they actually construct the planned expansion to the suburb that's been in limbo since forever

Right now it just run lap inside the city and connect to airport route.

We could have had mass transit infrastructure prepared earlier, but short sighted people chose to build more toll ways.
That's why I specifically rent a condo next to a BTS station and work at an office at a BTS station (On Nut and Asok, respectively). Easy peasy.

Public transportation is also a problem, at least in Beijing. First of all, the last trains drive at like 23:00 or so, so good luck if you need to get out of downtown later.

Same shit. Closes at 24:00 or earlier, so the cabbies jack up their rates to ridiculous levels (from $3 to something like $15 for the same ride). Gotta have a local with you to get them to keep using the meter, most of the time.

zoku88

What makes LA's traffic so bad? I would imagine that a city like NY would have worse traffic. LA seems like a city that's very spread out while NY is clumbed together

Sprawl leads to bad traffic. It makes it hard to build public transportation and it also means you have people coming from everywhere and going everywhere.

TP-DK

FjhWCoR.gif

notaskwid

I never visited either, but from media I assume that LA barely has any public transportation compared to NY and that's what causes it.

Rorschach

I can confirm China's roads are impossible and Moscow is a death trap.

Sprawl leads to bad traffic. It makes it hard to build public transportation and it also means you have people coming from everywhere and going everywhere.

Yeah, the worst traffic is coming into the city in the morning and leaving the city in the evening.

I never visited either, but from media I assume that LA barely has any public transportation compared to NY and that's what causes it.

Eh, it has public transportation (buses and trains) but it takes fucking forever to get anywhere you wanna go, in my experience.

I can confirm China's roads are impossible and Moscow is a death trap.

Yeah, the worst traffic is coming into the city in the morning and leaving the city in the evening.

Damn straight. I went from Redlands to UCLA two days a week, and it was at least 3 hours each way. Never again.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I wouldn't be able to deal with 30+ minutes of driving just to work yet alone hours. Either find a place close to work or work at a place close to home.

My mom tells me people run over each other all the time in Thailand. Traffic is just bad overall yet alone during rush hours. And road rage is worse than in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom