• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 and you, a year in review.

Typhares

So I felt like making a thread about 2018 as it is now coming to a close.
How was your year? Did you achieve what you set out to do?
What went right? What went wrong?

I'm gonna go on story time about mine.
Let's first go back to the end of 2016 I wrote this on this very forum:
Started with me breaking up with my gf therefore being stuck in an expensive flat on my own in a new city.
Then my mum got diagnosed with bone marrow cancer.
Then one of my friend was sexually assaulted.

2017 better get its shit together.

2017 did indeed get its shit together. I met my current partner and bought a flat with a cheaper mortgage than the rent I had before closer to my work.
Fast forward to 2018: my mum got better, unfortunately there is no cure for bone marrow cancer but she's holding on.
I proposed to my girlfriend and am now engaged! We travelled a fair bit: Barbados, Croatia, and Venice which is something important for us.
Work has been a bit boring, I've been in the same position for too long I think but I still enjoy it enough to stay (and I have good benefits).

So life's been steadily improving and I have no real complaints, I'm happy.
Hopefully 2019 doesn't fuck things up somehow! All I want from it is more of the same.
We already have plans: going to Greece to meet my fiance's family in person, a trip to the dominican republic around Easter.
I do feel a bit strange not having a master goal like I used to (meet someone, buy a property etc..). We have a wedding to plan of course ;)
The only thing is that I dropped going to the gym after moving. I still exercise but I lost some gains for sure. Be more active could be my new year resolution :)

J-Roderton

Been alright, I guess. Moved to a new state, changed careers, and completed my first year of being married.

I give 2018 a Solid B+.

stressful af.

Raised my first baby from 1 month to 13 months old.
Moved family across country
Bought first house
Bought first puppy
Changed jobs
Parents are aging poorly
The world is in turmoil in every aspect.

2018 gets a C- from me

Last edited:

Typhares

Been alright, I guess. Moved to a new state, changed careers, and completed my first year of being married.

I give 2018 a Solid B+.

B+ is a good year in my book :) I mean you moved, new job and got a wife so what does it take to get an A year? A newborn maybe :p

stressful af.

Raised my first baby from 1 month to 13 months old.
Moved family across country
Bought first house
Bought first puppy
Changed jobs
Parents are aging poorly
The world is in turmoil in every aspect.

2018 gets a D+/C- from me

Sounds stressfull indeed but you've achieved a ton for such a short time! I'm surprised that gives such a low grade to 2018.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
At the beginning of 2018, I had an increasingly shitty fall-out with one of the mates. Was still in school, stressing over neurobio classes that took hella time to do well in.

Managed to graduate with supa high grad3$ then move on to my career.

Currently at a cool med school doing stuff, hopefully to move on to my dream company so I can permanently move out of the States.

Year: B

Bought first house

I also bought my first house.

Also:

Founded my first company
I came out of a depression. (Drepressed since 2016- you know: divorce with a kid!!!!)
Open a NeoGaf profile.
Firs time that my kid is aware of his birthday (just amazing)
Started again sports after 2 years of stop.

Just a good year... not as AAA games this year.

Last edited:
Sounds stressfull indeed but you've achieved a ton for such a short time! I'm surprised that gives such a low grade to 2018.

yes youre right. I think it's due to the stress that makes me feel like it wasnt a good year.

obviously it was successful, was able to pull off a lot to life changes. I mean what if i never got the job where I was moving to...itd be a lot shittier.

but for some reason, even before this thread was made, i've felt like this year has been worse than prior years.

possibly because, selfishly, everything was for others? My life and priorities are different than when I was younger. And I miss that. I feel like the more i settle into this life, the more i regret not having done certain things in prior years. don't get me wrong ive loved my life, but its just me coming to terms with a new, equally as good (or better!) yet different one. I mean having my son is the best thing i've ever experienced. hes my world. it's just different.

oh yeah, more to add to the list:

- age finally catching up to me as my body has definitely started to break down physically.

Last edited:

lil puff

Yeah, I hear ya guys. I had some really bad years 3-4 years ago, and have been slowly peeling myself off the ground. Things usually do get better, it can take time though.

The last 2 have been pretty steady which is all I can ask. Slowly rebuilding savings after some unfortunate incidents, no serious health emergencies, as little possible drama as manageable at work, and little to no family issues.

I can't complain. As you get older, years go by faster and sort of blend into one another, only punctuated by certain events. The best I can do is live a simple life and try to control the things I can.

Melon

Banned
2018 has admittedly been an emotional roller coaster for me. Lots of low AND high points in the year. I moved 1,000 miles away from home and was naive in thinking I was strong enough to handle all the situations that were going to be thrown at me. I lived with my parents until I was nineteen and I got everything handed to me. I never had to work for ANYTHING. So learning how to provide for myself was legitimately a shock, and only a month into living in my new place I got really sick. After 8 agonizing months of several hospitalizations and doctors' visits, I found out my gallbladder wasn't functioning. Why it took them so long to find that out still boggles me, but that's not really the point. My point is that this year was the first year in my life where I truly know what adulthood is like without being sheltered by my parents. It's been crazy chaotic and there's been countless times where I've wanted to call it quits and move back to live with my parents, but I needed this eye-opener, and the friends I've made up here are second to none. So as much as the beginning sucked I am really, really excited to see what 2019 has in store for me.

And I also joined a forum called NeoGAF and made some friends, so that's cool too.

Gander

Banned
I've gone through a lot of firsts this year. Some good and some bad. Still right side up though, so I'm blessed.

2018 has admittedly been an emotional roller coaster for me. Lots of low AND high points in the year. I moved 1,000 miles away from home and was naive in thinking I was strong enough to handle all the situations that were going to be thrown at me. I lived with my parents until I was nineteen and I got everything handed to me. I never had to work for ANYTHING. So learning how to provide for myself was legitimately a shock, and only a month into living in my new place I got really sick. After 8 agonizing months of several hospitalizations and doctors' visits, I found out my gallbladder wasn't functioning. Why it took them so long to find that out still boggles me, but that's not really the point. My point is that this year was the first year in my life where I truly know what adulthood is like without being sheltered by my parents. It's been crazy chaotic and there's been countless times where I've wanted to call it quits and move back to live with my parents, but I needed this eye-opener, and the friends I've made up here are second to none. So as much as the beginning sucked I am really, really excited to see what 2019 has in store for me.

And I also joined a forum called NeoGAF and made some friends, so that's cool too.
Come on mate, from now on all is going to be better!

Lanrutcon

For the first time since I was 6, I don't have to wear glasses anymore thanks to surgery. Set the goal early in the year, planned and executed it. I still try to take off my glasses every time I go to bed or wash my face.

For starters 2018 went by really, really fast for me, I can't believe the year is already almost over.

As for me personally I have no real complaints, it was fine, I only wish I could have gotten a little more of my gaming backlog cleared but I got some big ones done (like GTAV for example)

bitbydeath

My absolute highlight was the planning and writing of my first book... series.
I started planning in April and have since commenced writing the first novel (of five).
I'm now writing chapter 10 however have had the flu this past week which I'm just coming out of now so I haven't been writing.
Now starting to get the withdrawls.

Oh, my second child also completed Kindy this year too which is kind of cool.
And my daughter got into a smart(er?) class for grade one next year where it's a composite class with the year two's.
She is proud.

Typhares

My absolute highlight was the planning and writing of my first book... series.
I started planning in April and have since commenced writing the first novel (of five).
I'm now writing chapter 10 however have had the flu this past week which I'm just coming out of now so I haven't been writing.
Now starting to get the withdrawls.

Oh, my second child also completed Kindy this year too which is kind of cool.
And my daughter got into a smart(er?) class for grade one next year where it's a composite class with the year two's.
She is proud.

Writing a pentalogy? Damn that's a lot of work ahead so good luck! What genre is it?

Uhtred

Ill be super real about it all.
  1. First year of being married. Its been great.
  2. Traveled to Europe for an amazing 2 weeks.
  3. Got a good promotion at work.
  4. My boss whom I loathed resigned.
  5. Now, I'm getting my place remodeled for the first time in 15 years.
  6. MY Grandfather passed. Left me nothing! (I will never forgive him for that)
  7. I've been dealing with some prostate issues, my doctor just cant seen to nail it down. (I hope I don't have bladder or Prostate cancer)

This has been a really bad year for me. Really bad. I’m not a victim, I put myself in bad positions and have failed pretty hard this year.

The worst aspect is I’ve seemingly developed an anxiety disorder that makes me start to hyperventilate when I leave my house. I tried driving to my parents house for Thanksgiving but had to turn around midway there. It’s so bizarre. I’m low on klonopin and will need to man up and force myself to get into my doctors office to get a refill soon.

In the past 6 months I’ve lost 85 pounds. That should be a good thing but I don’t work out. I do eat a lot less than I used to, so it’s not happening completely without cause, but I eat less because I rarely have an appetite. I know I HAVE to go see my doctor it’s just so hard for me to get around anymore. This mostly got super bad over the last two weeks, was a slow buildup before that.

I’ve shut out my friends and family because I’m too embarrassed by how I’m living right now. It’s really pathetic.

My brother went to Yale and is a professor at North Carolina, I’m a college dropout. That kind of sums up the kind of letdown I am.

I’m not competely hopeless. I think if I find a way to start exercising again it would help. I just need get over this fear of leaving the house first.

Hopefully I figure it all out!

Typhares

Sci-fi/Fantasy

That's all I read!! Good luck with it!

Ill be super real about it all.
  1. First year of being married. Its been great.
  2. Traveled to Europe for an amazing 2 weeks.
  3. Got a good promotion at work.
  4. My boss whom I loathed resigned.
  5. Now, I'm getting my place remodeled for the first time in 15 years.
  6. MY Grandfather passed. Left me nothing! (I will never forgive him for that)
  7. I've been dealing with some prostate issues, my doctor just cant seen to nail it down. (I hope I don't have bladder or Prostate cancer)

First 5 points had me like damn that's a good going but then some negative aspects. Nothing is ever perfect.
Was the nothing from grandad a surprise for you to be upset about it?
Hope the health issue is nothing serious.

This has been a really bad year for me. Really bad. I’m not a victim, I put myself in bad positions and have failed pretty hard this year.

The worst aspect is I’ve seemingly developed an anxiety disorder that makes me start to hyperventilate when I leave my house. I tried driving to my parents house for Thanksgiving but had to turn around midway there. It’s so bizarre. I’m low on klonopin and will need to man up and force myself to get into my doctors office to get a refill soon.

In the past 6 months I’ve lost 85 pounds. That should be a good thing but I don’t work out. I do eat a lot less than I used to, so it’s not happening completely without cause, but I eat less because I rarely have an appetite. I know I HAVE to go see my doctor it’s just so hard for me to get around anymore. This mostly got super bad over the last two weeks, was a slow buildup before that.

I’ve shut out my friends and family because I’m too embarrassed by how I’m living right now. It’s really pathetic.

My brother went to Yale and is a professor at North Carolina, I’m a college dropout. That kind of sums up the kind of letdown I am.

I’m not competely hopeless. I think if I find a way to start exercising again it would help. I just need get over this fear of leaving the house first.

Hopefully I figure it all out!

Dude sometimes life throws you a curveball. You can try to get yourself out of it but maybe find some help. Therapy could be helpful, you could even try something online if going out of the house if an issue just to unblock the situation.
Hang in there and I hope things get better!

Uhtred

That's all I read!! Good luck with it!

First 5 points had me like damn that's a good going but then some negative aspects. Nothing is ever perfect.
Was the nothing from grandad a surprise for you to be upset about it?
Hope the health issue is nothing serious.

I wash shocked that my Grandfather left me nothing. Shocked, and pissed. He only has 2 grandchildren, and he had millions. He f*cked me and my brother.

Thanks for the well wishes. Im going back to the doctors in January.

Last edited:

badblue

2018 has been shyte, shyte and more shyte.

Got laid off a really good job I had for a few years unexpectantly, then immediately laid off the next job I got a few weeks later.
Now I've been looking at a career change because the oil and gas industry here is not looking so hot, and I am starting to hate everything around this trade. So I need to find some place that is willing to take me on and indenture me as an apprentice again (new trade) or take some upgrade courses/go to school.

Add to that the fertility issues my wife has been going through. The hoops we both needed to jump through to even see the doctor, only to end with even more and more hoops being placed in front of her to continue treatment that she could not deal with on top of her highly stressful career. So that painfully ended our journey to have our own biological children. (We are going the adoption route now)
A bit of salt was rubbed into that wound unintentionally as well. (Not going into details)

A friend was supposed to pay me back some money I was owed (thousands of dollars) when they got it. But have not, and expect me to send them their stuff I have stored in my house since they have moved to another country. And I can't just say fuck it and throw it away, since there are some irreplaceable family heirlooms. I also can't keep it here since I need to clear out the house (there was a house full of stuff in the house before we moved our house full of stuff in) in order to be ready for the adoption homestudy. And I can't ship it since I don't know the address, or have any money to do so. It all needs to be repacked as well.

And instead of realizing and/or admitting that all of this has caused me some problems and I should really see someone about I've gone with self medication. The down side being that some of what I've been using to self medicate have instead made me much more aware of what is going on in my head and how messed up I am over it, and that I really should see someone about it. But i'm probably not going to.
I have decided to put the alcohol and pot away since the last thing I want is to become an alcoholic, and if I got back out in my current trade I'll need to pass drug testing in the new year.
I'm going to keep using the other stuff though, since being aware of my problems is better then not being aware of them, and they are not tested for.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
grandfather died last year. this was really sad and i've spent all year feeling the family is getting smaller. i can't spend too much time dwelling on this otherwise i get depressed.

had a health scare, ended up going to the doctor, and boy, was that the wrong fucking thing to do. i was always scared of going to the doctor cos they would either find something or i would end up in debt. well my worst fears came true and to this day i have a credit collection agency calling me trying to get me to spend $1800 for a single doctor's visit that i already paid for. im too scared to go to the follow up in case they throw more bullshit bills at me. this is just health care in the US. it sucks and will probably kill me and there is nothing i can do about it.

other than that, it's been pretty lonely. still no girlfriend, going on 13 years or so. im resigned to dying alone at this point. still i read some good books. made some decent music that no one will ever hear.

it was all worth it for the new Twin Peaks. by episode 3 i was giggling with joy at every single thing that happened.

Last edited:

paparazzo

Pretty bad year for me; probably my worst yet.

I was diagnosed with a chronic health issue in Jan. which has put a lot of things on hold. Luckily I can still work my part time job, but it’s made studying difficult so I’ve been kind of stuck for a while. Been reading some things about what can cause chronic pain and I’m optimistic about beating this at some point.

Here’s to a better 2019.

[*]I've been dealing with some prostate issues, my doctor just cant seen to nail it down. (I hope I don't have bladder or Prostate cancer)
[/LIST]
Prostatitis/CPPS? If so, it’s probably got nothing to do with your prostate, FYI. Feel free to PM me as I’m going through the same and may be able to help.

Ovek

7Member7
Im gonna be honest... I’ve done fuck all for the entire year.

I’ve got up and gone to work a lot.

I would rate my year as a solid B+.

Last edited:

NahaNago

This year would have been a completely meh year just like the last decade of my life if I hadn't visited Japan this year. Other than that trip I failed all of the goals I created earlier and later this year. Barely learned anything , barely created anything and completed pretty much nothing. I did learn some Korean but not enough to do anything really with it. I had a lot of great starts but terrible follow throughs . The trip got me back hyped to learn Japanese but I'm not doing so well right now with it. I'll keep at since I scheduled my next trip to Japan for November. I think I'd give this year like a C+ since I learned a few things and got to go on the trip I always wanted even if I wasted the first 3 days of my week long trip.

I achieved everything I was aiming for this year. The next one is gonna be doozy though. My real world starts now I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laz-E-Boy

First half of the year got a full time 9-5 job for the first time in my life. Got benefits and everything. That was cool.

Also got into some anime conventions for the first time and even dressed up as some characters (Saitama, Great Saiyaman, Rob Lucci from One Piece). That was pretty fun.

Focused on putting myself out there more and dipped my toes into doing some Youtube videos and Twitch streams. Didn't get many viewers on youtube unless it was Attack on Titan reviews and barely got any people on Twitch/Mixer, so that was meh lol.

Ending the year with my dad possibly put in a nursing home with his mind potentially gone, so that's not so good.

TFGB

I’ve had another excellent year and I feel both extremely lucky and grateful but, like many people, it can still become a struggle dealing with depression and the monotony of life.

You just have to battle on.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Managed to repeat another A+ year after 2017. Life has never been better.

- Modest job with next to no stress
- fixed up my nutrition even further and am eating as healthy as I could
- Gym training has been going great (just a minor injury I'm dealing with at the moment)
- Managed to pay off two smaller debts and now only have my car left

To an outside person my life probably looks boring as fuck but it really grew on me and I feel like my body is confirming this to me. I haven't slept longer than 6 hours for over a year now, have't even had a flu or some stomach issues for over 2 years and hardly get upset about anything. So I guess I must be doing something right even though I hardly keep in touch with people outside work/gym, have no wife/kids and don't travel at 32.

Hope I can pull another great year like this but I'm not so sure because a job change is upcoming. We'll see. I try to be as adaptable as possible.

Last edited:
2018 wasn't that bad, though I went through a few rough patches:
- Long recovery from a nasty finger wound I got at the gym at the end of last year.
- Went through a short existential crisis because I wasn't able to make money for a while (quit my job last year).
- I struggle a lot with focus and consistency in both work and hobbies.

On the bright side:
- I managed to generate a somewhat steady income as a freelancer (enough to indulge in hobbies), but I need to do better.
- I played more games than in each of the last 4-5 years.
- I mustered the will to go back to drawing and writing.
- Consistent training at the gym so I feel stronger than ever (though I could lose some fat).

2016 and 2017 were nightmarish for me (horrible job experience), 2018 was pretty good all things considered. Much, much less stress and more hope for the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom