• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 NFL Playoffs - Wild Card Round

greyshark

Ndzf9E5.png

The playoffs are here! Lots of compelling stories this time around - as a Bears fan I'm excited to actually have a team worth talking about for once. My picks for the this week:

Colts over Texans - Indianapolis has looked very impressive down the stretch with Luck's resurrection, tough to go against them here.

Ravens over Chargers - Game of the week here, two great teams. Can San Diego Los Angeles figure out how to defend Lamar Jackson now that they get a second look? I like Baltimore's chances with their defense.

Cowboys over Seahawks - Seattle is shaping up to be a trendy dark horse, but I see the Cowboy's D-Line wreaking havoc on Seattle.

Bears over Eagles - Obvious homerism aside, Chicago's been making opposing QB's lives miserable all season - I just don't see how Foles can reverse that trend here.

NFL GAF, who do you have winning this weekend?

dionysus

Yaldog
I am very glad the Saints have home field until the SB.

Colts over Texans. Texans offense is too inconsistent.

Chargers over Ravens. Chargers are one of the most complete teams on both sides of the ball.

Seahawks over Cowboys. Kind of a toss up, but I have watched a lot of cowboys games this year and I just don't believe Dak can get it done.

Bears over Eagles. Bears have been good all year but the eagles are peaking at the right time.

thequestion

Texans over Colts. Texan D going to keep Colts offence in check.

Ravens over Chargers. Hope Rivers enjoys looking at turf, cause he’s going to be down there a lot.

Seahawks over Cowboys. It will be close game. Hawks kick a 3 to win.

If Foles is healthy, Eagles over Bears.

If Foles’ is either unable to play or unable to play to his full potential due to the injury: Bears win.

Last edited:

manfestival

Colts - MEH on both colts and texans
Chargers - They get 20 fire emojis right now
Seahawks - They got the IT factor
Bears - let's be real, they have more going for them and this would be the biggest upset out of the wildcard round

demigod

Colts - They seem to have gotten their mojo back.

Chargers - I'm going with Rivers, I just don't see Lamar Jackson beating this team.

Cowboys - Dak and Zeke, believe.

Eagles - Foles is the man!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm happy as long as the Seahawks and Cowgirls lose (as soon as possible).

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I'm happy as long as the Seahawks and Cowgirls lose (as soon as possible).
I dont really hate the Seahawks so much but the Cowboys can't lose enough in my opinion.

Other than them though I would always go with the home team in the playoffs.

Both games between Colts and Texans were close and exciting. Should be a great game.

I’m taking Texans even though Luck has the Colts on a serious roll. I just like the Texans individual talent more, although I think Bill O’brien is average at best as HC.

I like Seahawks over Cowboys. I love Russell Wilson and Garrett coached Cowboys teams seem to alwyas choke.

Bears over Philly. I like Nick Foles and he definitely has some magic but I think the Bears are just a better team, although Trubisky doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in me yet.

Ravens over Chargers. I think Chargers are overrated. IMO they played a weak schedule. I’m a bit biased as Suggs is one of my favorite players ever and I love Lamar Jackson as well. Laser Face Phil is a gamer tho, and a QB of his caliber always gives you a chance.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gonna watch both Texans and Cowboys on saturday.

Lots of Lone Star, Shiner, and Titos will be dranken I tell you what.

greyshark

I am legitimately excited about this Bears defense - in a year where offenses were unstoppable they've been consistently great all year. I hope they make the most of this chance to show the league what they're made of.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I am legitimately excited about this Bears defense - in a year where offenses were unstoppable they've been consistently great all year. I hope they make the most of this chance to show the league what they're made of.

oe9OmUY.jpg

I only watched one Bears game all year but their defense looked fast. Speed everywhere. I love a ballhawking secondary.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have the same picks as the ones in the OP. Being a Cowboys fan I am picking them when I probably shouldn’t. I am prepared for the usual let down.

greyshark

I only watched one Bears game all year but their defense looked fast. Speed everywhere. I love a ballhawking secondary.

They’ve generated consistent pressure on the QB week in and week out. Teams have tried to adjust with quick throws to beat the pressure but that has led to many INT’s.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Should be an interesting an wild card, Chargers got to put pressure on Jackson and understand that he’s basically a second running back. That’s how I see it.

Gander

Banned
In other news the the Giants and Manning may finally be parting ways.

I never though Eli was right for New York even with the Super Bowls

greyshark

In other news the the Giants and Manning may finally be parting ways.

I never though Eli was right for New York even with the Super Bowls

I just can’t see Eli moving to another team at this point in his career. It’d have to be a team that’s a playoff contender that needs a stopgap QB solution (kind of like the Broncos with Peyton now that I think about it). Does any current team fit that mold?

I just can’t see Eli moving to another team at this point in his career. It’d have to be a team that’s a playoff contender that needs a stopgap QB solution (kind of like the Broncos with Peyton now that I think about it). Does any current team fit that mold?

Well Tom Coughlin is with the Jags now, and he and Eli have a great relationship. They seem to be done with Bortles. I think they are gonna draft a QB but maybe sign Eli as a one year starter to groom the new guy?

Unless Bortles is owed a lot of guaranteed money?

Edit:

I still consider Jax a contender even after this awful season. Lot of talent on the roster, they just shit themselves all season long. I don’t think last year was a fluke. Probably need some coaching changes as well.

Last edited:

greyshark

Well Tom Coughlin is with the Jags now, and he and Eli have a great relationship. They seem to be done with Bortles. I think they are gonna draft a QB but maybe sign Eli as a one year starter to groom the new guy?

Unless Bortles is owed a lot of guaranteed money?

Edit:

I still consider Jax a contender even after this awful season. Lot of talent on the roster, they just shit themselves all season long. I don’t think last year was a fluke. Probably need some coaching changes as well.

Jacksonville would be a good fit - all I've heard lately is the controversy surrounding their RBs, but they still have a good defense. They just extended Bortles last year, I imagine they'd have to get creative to pick up Manning and deal with Bortles's salary.

Sacred

Colts over Texans - Texans OL has been in shambles and the Colts quietly have an elite pass rush. Luck has been clicking and their OL has been unbelievable this year.

Chargers over Ravens - Ravens have Lamar as the X Factor, but I'll take the experience of Rivers in this low scoring game.

Bears over Eagles - Philly is getting healthier and playing with more confidence, but beating Chicago at home in January is not something Philly is ready for, this defense will completely overwhelm Foles.

Cowboys over Seahawks- Only reason I am picking Dallas is they are at home and last week showed fantastic improvement in the red zone without Zeke. I think LVE and Jaylon will shut down Carson and I trust Byron and Awuzie to make it a checkdown game for Russell.

Last edited:
I just went back and watched the Ravens 22-10 victory over the Chargers from a couple of weeks ago. I think the Ravens are a better team. I’m almost more certain about picking them than any other pick this week. Jackson was a non-factor running the ball that game and they still won by two scores

This will probably blow up in my face, of course

Last edited:

demigod

Meanwhile the Raiders are QQing right now.

What if Eli goes to the Broncos and wins a Super Bowl like his bro?

What if Eli goes to the Broncos and wins a Super Bowl like his bro?

Bronco fan here.

A lot of people forget how terrible Peyton was that season. We won because of one of the best defenses of all time. A lot of people also forget that Brock Osweiler was instrumental in getting us to the SB as well. That defense is long gone, and Brock fizzled out elsewhere. Would Manning be an upgrade over Keenum? Hell yes. It’s a band-aid when we need surgery tho.

There’s even talk around the community of trading Von, going full Raiders. I highly doubt that happens but it’s a current talking point.

Our Super Bowl window has closed. We are officially in a rebuild, which is something no one in the community wanted to admit. Our roster is in trouble, it’s mostly either very young players and aging vets who are only getting older and more expensive. Guys like Von, Chris Harris, and Sanders are worth keeping but other guys like Marshall, Roby, Ray, Barrett, and Stewart are either already on their way out or will be soon. Even a fan favorite like Derek Wolfe could be a casualty.

The Peyton Era masked a lot of John Elway’s shortcomings as GM. Elite QBs tend to do that. Elway has failed to draft a QB and only three of our last seven first round picks (as of now) will be on the roster next year. Paxton Lynch was a monumental failure, we failed to retain and develop Osweiler, Shane Ray and Sylvester Williams were busts for us, Roby was a good #3 corner when we had Talib but he got exposed this year as a full time starter ( I’m still having PTSD over the Jets game). Bolles is trending toward bust.

We got lucky with Phillip Lindsay. Crazy he wasn’t drafted.

Elway hasn’t been able to shore up the offensive line, handing out terrible contracts to guys like Donald Stephenson and Menelik Watson who couldn’t play Right Tackle for us. The vast majority of our 2017 draft class isn’t even on the team anymore. He also picked the wrong guys to retain vs. let go with our former/current inside linebackers and interior defensive linemen.

He also says he refuses to draft players from Alabama which I think should disqualify someone from being in charge of an NFL roster.

Can’t forget that Elway has also let high quality coaches go while hiring abysmal replacements (Joe Woods and Vance Joseph are awful)

I would really like to see us draft Dwayne Haskins from Ohio State and have him take over for Case Keenum sometime next season. Take some rookie QB lumps and then in 2020 start thinking about winning again. The question is will Haskins be available at 10? Some people have him as top QB, some have him low as third. I’m not sure he’s even officially declared yet.

The Broncos HC job isn’t what it used to be. I won’t even get into the ownership situation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't care about football.... but I love watching the playoffs. Kind of like baseball. Snoozefest regular season, awesome playoffs.

Amazing Steelers still went 9-6-1. If they had Bell, and Brown acred like a team player they probably would have won 13-14 games no problem.

Wow just googled it now.... Ben had over 5,000 passing yards!

Last edited:

greyshark

I don't care about football.... but I love watching the playoffs. Kind of like baseball. Snoozefest regular season, awesome playoffs.

Amazing Steelers still went 9-6-1. If they had Bell, and Brown acred like a team player they probably would have won 13-14 games no problem.

Wow just googled it now.... Ben had over 5,000 passing yards!

Any particular team you’re rooting for?

kbear

This weekend, Wild Card weekend with 4 do or die games split between Saturday & Sunday is probably the best weekend of sports in any given year. I love it. Huge homer iggles fan btw. Big Dick Nick is gonna deliver again. If he manages to carry the team to the Super Bowl again, or even the NFC championship game, how do you start Wentz next year? Foles is only 30

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This weekend, Wild Card weekend with 4 do or die games split between Saturday & Sunday is probably the best weekend of sports in any given year. I love it. Huge homer iggles fan btw. Big Dick Nick is gonna deliver again. If he manages to carry the team to the Super Bowl again, or even the NFC championship game, how do you start Wentz next year? Foles is only 30
Ha.

Although I'm rooting for the Saints strictly for the passing game, I always root for for Peyton Manning and any underdog teams.

In the past, I'd also root for the Giants. Not that I know anything about them, but they'll often squeak into the playoffs and make a big run against the better teams.

As for the Eagles, I'll root for them too. Everyone - except Pats fans - rooted for them in the SB last yr.

greyshark

With as much as the Eagles have invested in Wentz, I just don’t see it. Foles has had his chances to be the franchise QB over the course of his career, and while he may be the best backup in the league he’s still the same guy he’s always been. The Eagles are right to build around Wentz IMO (unless of course his injury problems continue).

If Foles can pull off an upset of the Bears and the Saints I see him cashing in on a big payday elsewhere next year.

With as much as the Eagles have invested in Wentz, I just don’t see it. Foles has had his chances to be the franchise QB over the course of his career, and while he may be the best backup in the league he’s still the same guy he’s always been. The Eagles are right to build around Wentz IMO (unless of course his injury problems continue).

If Foles can pull off an upset of the Bears and the Saints I see him cashing in on a big payday elsewhere next year.

He’s absolutely gonna be a starter somewhere else next year and will probably get crazy overpaid. Not Cousins money but he’ll be up there.

Welp, two beautiful touchdown drives by the Colts to open the first quarter.

Edit

Wow after a terrible INT by Watson the Colts looked poised to go up by 3 scores but the Texans get a tipped ball INT. Texans absolutely have to put points on the board this drive

Last edited:
Damn. Texans needed points after that turnover. They can’t get any momentum going offensively.

Lot of game left, however if Colts score again here I feel a three score lead with Luck at QB is hard to overcome

Top Bottom