• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2019 gaming challenge - 52 Games in 1 Year - You can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was a lil confused, I thought I was reading a review I didn't remember writing 😂. Really well written tho! Already better than the ones I've written!

Sorry! I used your template because it was simple, easy to digest, and nice to look at.

rBAOdky.png

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

70:43h, grinded all characters to 99 with the Pep Up trick, completed 40 quests, all post-game substories and the three bonus dungeons. Beware of unmarked spoilers from this point on.

I'm going to say it now: current-day Dragon Quest is the best Final Fantasy. While modern Final Fantasy games have devolved into convoluted, dense, humorless pseudo-sci-fi dramas at their best (and pretentious yet infantile space opera-ish plots at their worst) Dragon Quest has no need for such tripe. It's a story about a chosen one putting together a band of merry companions and defeating the demon king. Along the way, you will help several cities and towns with their local problems, which will then intertwine into the major plot thread. There is lots of trope usage, somewhat juvenile but innofensive humour, a perfect battle system, and the character design we all known and love. You'll find this description fits every DQ in existence. amd DQXI might be the Dragonquest-est Dragon Quest ever.

There's a design decision that baffles me, though, and it's the sheer amount of content hidden after the first ending. I was at the 49h mark when I defeated Mordegon and I was a bit disappointed at how (comparatively) short the game had been. Then you discover there's a postgame, and it amounts for easily a third of the total game length if you do everything that needs doing. I think lots of players will stop playing once they see the first credits roll, and will leave slightly miffed at the short, quick ending and the unresolved threads.

Even so, in my opinion this is the best JRPG of the generation, apart from the untouchable Persona 5. Such a joy to play, and absolutely unmissable if you like the genre.

My Score: ★★★★★

Original Post

Main Post

1. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - 9/10

What a blast to play through. I haven't tried to 100% a game in years but had no problem doing it here. Yes, there are some open-world problems of samesy type missions...but swinging around is so much fun that I didn't mind it. I liked the story until then ending which I loved. Going to play the DLC but set my expectations low due to feedback I have heard.

2. Sonic & Knuckles (Genesis) - 9/10

I liked this one so much more than Sonic 3. I never actually played past the first level in this one, I always used the lock on tech to mess with Sonic 2 and 3. The music, gameplay and fun are so much better here than in 3. I put this one up there with Sonic 2, especially since you can play it through with Sonic and Knuckles.

3. Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4) - 6/10

Meh. I really enjoyed Season 1 of Life is Strange but wasn't feeling this one at all. Right at the beginning with the flicking off of a Do Not Trespass sign...I just rolled my eyes. It was over dramatic and ridiculous almost the entire time. There were moments I liked it and then the characters would just annoy me. The voice change for Chloe was annoying at first but I got used to it. I really think they crapped on the Rachel character considering where Season 1 took her.

BurstZyn

1. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (PS4):
Gameplay:
Plays solid and smooth like the previous entry, feels awesome all the way through. Nero, The main protagonist, feels like a fresh new beginning to the series, and going back to Dante took some recollection, but after a bit it felt like riding an old bike, and I was doing even better with him, than I was with Nero.
Story: Wacky and ridiculous as usual, wouldn't have it any other way!
Art Style/Music: The designs of the characters are awesome, both the heroes and villains alike. Kinda wished that Trish would stay in her Gloria costume :messenger_smirking: and I would say that I like Lady's DMC 3 design more than this one. And the music is sick as usual, can't say that I like it more than 3's or 5's but still awesome in either case.
Gripes: I don't have much to complain about except that I felt that the final boss fight was a little underwhelming compared to 3's and the platforming sucks! I hate platforming in these games, its better than 1 and 2 but still less platforming for this series the better.
Additional Info: I completed the main story, and will definitely come back to finish the other content, this game probably has to be my second favorite in the series.
Final Score: 5/5

2. Sky Force Anniversary (PS4):
Gameplay:
Good ol' shoot em up action that i felt was better playing with my brother than by myself. The upgrade system is fun to experiment with and makes the levels several times easier.
Story: The story is lackluster, with very few dialogue between levels. Shit there's only 2 voice actors.
Art Style/Music: The art style is fine, but the main show taker is the music, fun retro action music to go along with you blasting enemies out of the skies.
Gripes: You can feel the repetitiveness of the game as you have the missions many times in order to proceed.
Additional Info: N/A
Final Score: 3/5

3. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (PS4):
Gameplay:
Surpassing its previous title, the action is more fluid, the camera works better, and the mechanics improve the game in many ways. Doing many awesome combos, mix and match attacks with the different forms that change up the style of combat as well.
Story: The story of the first was sure alot easier to follow than this one, but actually experiencing Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days and my ability to understand more than I was at the age of 10. So while it has it's moments of cringe, I would still say the story is better than 1 but still lacks behind CoM and 358/2.
Art Style/Music: The designs of the characters.... are interesting to say the least. The designs of the heartless and nobodies can be cool, but the 'human' characters are just nothing but zippers and belts... so many belts... But I will say that Sora has way better design than he does in the first one, and The Organization look cool in just simple long black coats.
Gripes: The main grip i have about game is the amount of cringe there are at times.
Additional Info: Another thing this game has over the first entry is the amount of content, I didn't finish everything. Ill probably get around to it another time, as leveling up in this game can also take a good amount of time.
Final Score: 5/5
4. Papers, Please (PSVita):
Gameplay:
Check passport; accept or decline entry. See if everything matches up, such as height weight, pictures, duration of stay, etc. Its pretty much work the video game... and its interesting, boring, but an attention grabbing boring.
Story: You must not allow any of those with the wrong documents to enter the glorious land of Arstotzka, or you can help penetrate the government through a secret rebellion
Art Style/Music: The art style just looks dark and depressing, so it goes well with the atmosphere of the job you're employed.
Gripes: Unfortunately the game kept crashing on me, idk if it was my Vita or the port of the game.
Additional Info: Glory to Arstotzka!
Final Score: 4/5

IKSTUGA

Reserved. Right now I'm @ 2/52

1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, 8.5/10
Really Liked the campaign, this kind of sci-fi stuff is what I like the most (focus on military stuff eg. Mass Effect). Jon Snow could have been better, but oh well.

2. Far Cry 5, 8/10
Good game with too much stuff to do. Did only the most essential quests and skipped almost all of the side stuff. Villain was good, endings were... surprising?

3. Assassin's Creed: Origins, 9/10
Really refreshing title after the so predictable Syndicate. Setting works really well, because you get to see many interesting historical environments and people. I also got the season pass, but I am not done with that content yet. Probably gonna count the DLC as a separate entry.

Verdanth

Ok, I'm gonna jump on this, probably to regret by the end of the year.

Let's start:

1: Resident Evil REmake - 9/10 (About 21 hours) | PS4

I know, 21 hours for Jill Valentine run, not both characters. Sorry to disappoint you speedrunners. When I saw there was a trophy to beat the game in 3 hours I felt bad for myself.

Anyway, I took my time with the game because it's such an horrific masterpiece and was my first time playing (did not play the original). Amazing atmosphere, visuals, camera angles and level design (which is, by far, still one of the best until these days if you ask me). Great game.

2: Furi - 9/10 (About 11 hours) | PS4

Came across Furi without really knowing what type of game it was. Turns out it's an amazing one vs one boss battle game, full of style and with one of the OST's in recent memory. Gameplay wise it's simple in the surface, but not easy to master. Had a blast with the game. And the best battle is without a doubt The Edge.

3: The Quiet Man - 3/10 (About 5 hours) | PS4

Ok, I confess. I bought the Quiet Man because I was curious to see what many called the Worst game of 2018. Yup, I'm right there with you.

First the sole decision of making the game soundless is stupid, just stupid. Specially because the main character is not deaf, he speaks occasionally in the game, both with voice and gestures. It does not make any sense. Graphics are not that bad, gameplay is very simple and straight forward, and repetitive as hell. In conclusion: I don't know what the devs were thinking while producing the game. And wait until o reach the finale.

4: Spider-Man - 9/10 (About 6 hours) | PS1

Not much to say. Played it for nostalgia feelings. Man, I love Spider-man PS1 games. And they're still a joy to play. The little kid in me says they are still the best Spider-man games ever made, well, until Marvel's Spider-man, that is.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

3. Assassin's Creed: Origins, 9/10
Really refreshing title after the so predictable Syndicate. Setting works really well, because you get to see many interesting historical environments and people. I also got the season pass, but I am not done with that content yet. Probably gonna count the DLC as a separate entry.
4. Assassin's Creed: Origins DLC, 8/10
This was the first AC I got the dlc for. Probably not gonna make the same mistake again. I mean there's nothing really wrong with the Curse and The Hidden Ones in particular, but it's just more of the same. Curse has those trippy underworld moments, but other than that it's the same "go there", "climb there", "kill this", "find this" etc. thing you have going in the main game. The sense of urgency is kinda gone too, feels like you're just on some random field trip to the east/south. Wouldn't really recommend, unless you really enjoy the gameplay loop from main game.

Hikikomori6

Neo Member
Hello. I'd like to participate :)

Right now at 2/52

1. Yakuza Kiwami
Excellent game. I played the original Yakuza back when it was released. And they did a pretty good job with this remaster. Some of the remixed tracks are okay (miss the guitars on the original ost) and the grind for the Dragon moveset from Majima kinda got a little too much. But overall it gave me that "Aha" feeling like when I played Demon's Souls for the first time. Really miss these kind of games.

2.Yakuza Kiwami 2
I couldn't wait to start playing this immediately after finishing the first one. It's such a huge upgrade from Kiwami 1, with the Dragon Engine and fighting style and overall feel. I understand this is the first actual "Next-Gen" Engine they've implemented and it shows. Absolutely loved the story and mini-games in this one. Although did start to get a little fatigued doing the completion list. Still I'd recommend Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 to anyone looking for a change of pace from normal modern AAA games.

Hopefully will update soon...

BurstZyn

4. Papers, Please (PSVita):
Gameplay:
Check passport; accept or decline entry. See if everything matches up, such as height weight, pictures, duration of stay, etc. Its pretty much work the video game... and its interesting, boring, but an attention grabbing boring.
Story: You must not allow any of those with the wrong documents to enter the glorious land of Arstotzka, or you can help penetrate the government through a secret rebellion
Art Style/Music: The art style just looks dark and depressing, so it goes well with the atmosphere of the job you're employed.
Gripes: Unfortunately the game kept crashing on me, idk if it was my Vita or the port of the game.
Additional Info: Glory to Arstotzka!
5. Star Wars Battlefront (PS2):
Gameplay:
A 3rd person shooter (or first person if you choose to do so) that surprisingly holds really well. I've never really had a chance to play these games as a kid, but this one is a very competent shooter. It has an auto aim to help it work on consoles, runs pretty smooth, and especially fun with friends.
Story: It follows some, i believe, made up campaigns games inspired by the movies, and also includes cutscenes from said movies as well.
Art Style/Music: As much I'm not a fan of Star Wars, i have to give it to the franchise that it probably has the best soundtrack in cinema history.
Gripes: N/A
Additional Info:
I could really see this translating perfectly with the Dice team, as seen in the newer games. I've only played the beta for the second and I thought it was enjoyable, but not enough for a purchase

6. Neon Chrome (PS4):
Gameplay:
Rogue-like isometric twin stick shooter that feels good, has a good amount of replayability with the different classes you get upon each re-spawn; Especially fun with multiple friends.
Story: While there is a story its not really worth any mind, its just serviceable at best
Art Style/Music: The look and sound is techno and with no pun intended 'Neon Chrome' so its a nice beat and sweet to look at as well.

7. Broforce (PS4):
Gameplay:
Taken in the same vein of Contra and Metal Slug, its Run-N-Gun with the twist of several different action characters referencing action stars such The Terminator, Rambo, MacGuyver, etc.
Story: The story is there are some mean looking terrorists assholes that wanna take away freedom, and its your responsibility to liberate them of their brutish ways.
Art Style/Music: The music screams 'America, Fuck Yeah!' and plays along while your PS4 blinks Red, White, and Blue, so what more can you ask for. Ill answer that for you: NOTHING!
Gripes: As much as I love this game... there are some problems... If you were play this game, play the PC version! The PS4 version is so poorly optimized, it was a little tough to brute through the end of the game due to many frame drops, visiual bugs, screen tearing, etc. As you progress through the game, it just seems to get worse as well with the technical problems. So if you can, stay away from the PS4 version.
Additional Info: AREA LIBERATED!

IKSTUGA

4. Assassin's Creed: Origins DLC, 8/10
This was the first AC I got the dlc for. Probably not gonna make the same mistake again. I mean there's nothing really wrong with the Curse and The Hidden Ones in particular, but it's just more of the same. Curse has those trippy underworld moments, but other than that it's the same "go there", "climb there", "kill this", "find this" etc. thing you have going in the main game. The sense of urgency is kinda gone too, feels like you're just on some random field trip to the east/south. Wouldn't really recommend, unless you really enjoy the gameplay loop from main game.
5. Resident Evil 2 Remake, 9.5/10
I beat both runs (Leon -> Claire) during the weekend, just couldn't stop, because the game is that good. Just amazing atmosphere, gunplay and pacing. Might actually end up cracking my top 10 games of all time!

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

5. Resident Evil 2 Remake, 9.5/10
I beat both runs (Leon -> Claire) during the weekend, just couldn't stop, because the game is that good. Just amazing atmosphere, gunplay and pacing. Might actually end up cracking my top 10 games of all time!
6. Assassin's Creed, 8/10
Blast from the past. Last time I played this was in 2008 or 2009, I think. In 10 years one can definitely forget a lot. I didn't remember most of the bosses and events, ending I still did. The game looks and feels surprisingly good on the X. I had a few crashes, but other than that it was smooth. Gameplay is definitely a bit outdated. Climbing and combat both feel clunky compared to the latest entries. Still, I think AC is good for its time. Its scale and the amount of npcs must have really felt like next-gen in 2007.

wVkLK8T.png

Yakuza: Kiwami 2

40:19h. 76/76 substories, completed the Majima Construction storyline and the Majima Saga.

Kiwami 2 is somewhat of a "greatest hits" for the whole "Kiwami series" (IMO, Kiwami, Yakuza Zero, Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6). It cherrypicks things from all those games (like the Cabaret Club and the Clan Creator minigames, or most of the fight and talent system). Combine this with the best story and setting in all the Yakuza series, tied maybe with Yakuza Zero, and you got an almost perfect game for Yakuza lovers.

Yakuza: Kiwami 2 is peak Yakuza. Unconvinced? What about now?

Original Post

Main Post

4. Call of Juarez: The Cartel (Xbox 360) - 4/10

Awful.

5. Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps (PS4) - 7/10

Still enjoyed most of the game play loop in this. I absolutely hated Screwball and her challenges. I enjoyed the first episode the most and the final the least. Maybe I was just ready to finally be done by that point. I would wait for a sale on the DLC.

IKSTUGA

6. Assassin's Creed, 8/10
Blast from the past. Last time I played this was in 2008 or 2009, I think. In 10 years one can definitely forget a lot. I didn't remember most of the bosses and events, ending I still did. The game looks and feels surprisingly good on the X. I had a few crashes, but other than that it was smooth. Gameplay is definitely a bit outdated. Climbing and combat both feel clunky compared to the latest entries. Still, I think AC is good for its time. Its scale and the amount of npcs must have really felt like next-gen in 2007.
7. Kingdom Hearts 3, 7.5/10
I have very mixed feelings about this one. On one hand the combat and disney segments were pretty awesome, but on the other hand the cutscenes involving original KH characters were just awful and there were quite many of them... Story was dumb too. This is probably gonna be my first and last KH at the same time, I just cant bear watching another cringefest like this :D

Nester99

Not expecting a big year with new baby on the way,

Nevertheless, Away we go!

1)Jan 19: Witcher 3
2)Feb 04: Valkyria Chronicles
3)Feb 10: Gauntlet Slayer Edition
4)Feb 15: Resogun
5)Feb 23: Dead Cells
6)Feb 23: Skyforce Aniversary (PSN)
7)Feb 28: Assassins Creed II
8)Mar 02: Star Wars battlefront II
9)Mar 09: Devil May Cry 5
10)Mar12: Halo 5: Guardians

11)Mar 16: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
12)Mar 16: Caladrius Blaze
13)Mar 26: Dark Souks Remasteted
14)Apr 18: Path of Exile
15)May 11: Days Gone
16)May 20: Celeste
17)May 20: What Remains of Edith Fitch
18)May 26: The Wolf Among Us
19)May 29: King Oddball
20)Jun 01: Mortal Kombat XL

21)Jun 02: Defense Grid 2
22)Jun 22: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
23)July 01: Y’s Complete Chronicles
24)July 03: Slay the Spire
25)July 04: Shadow of the Colossus
26)July 13: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
27)July 23: The Banner Saga
28)July 27: The Banner Saga 2
29)Aug 10: Fire Emblem Hero’s. Three houses
30)Aug 11: MGSV Ground Zero

31)Aug 13: Banner Saga 3
32)Nov 23: Death Stranding
33)Nov 30: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
34)Dec 01: The Outer Worlds
35)Dec 12: Control
36)Dec 16: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
37)Dec 21: Knack
38)Dec 27: Gears 5

Last edited:

ROMhack

I feel like I might be winding down on Shenmue 2. I'm getting towards the end of Kowloon but I'm just not feeling very immersed anymore.

sMfSZUM.png

Tales of Berseria

39:52h, did all the sidequests I found but I didn't scour the map for them like the devs apparently wanted. No postgame. UNMARKED SPOILERS.

I think I'm the Tales fan that has played the least amount of Tales games. This is because as much as I love them, Tales games are extremely formulaic and once you're done with one, you need some "cooldown" time. This said, I think Tales of Berseria is a step in the right direction to make Tales games unique. This is because it breaks several "unwritten rules" of the series: not only are the protagonists anti-heroes (not [just] "plucky rebels against a corrupt establishment", mind - some of them, like the MC Velvet and Rokurou, are straight-up villains) but also the plot feels more personal, more nuanced: it's not (just) a save-the-world story, but also one of revenge, individuality and family.

Talk about a corny review. Anyway, ToB is good, both for Tales fans and newcomers to the series. However, keep in mind it's also the anniversary celebration and a stealth prequel to Tales of Zestiria. So you'll enjoy it more if you have played ToZ. I didn't.

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original Post

This should be interesting to do considering I have a massive backlog of games.

Goals:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil 2
Wolfensten 2
South Park Fractured Butthole (huehue)

ROMhack

sMfSZUM.png

Tales of Berseria

39:52h, did all the sidequests I found but I didn't scour the map for them like the devs apparently wanted. No postgame. UNMARKED SPOILERS.

I think I'm the Tales fan that has played the least amount of Tales games. This is because as much as I love them, Tales games are extremely formulaic and once you're done with one, you need some "cooldown" time. This said, I think Tales of Berseria is a step in the right direction to make Tales games unique. This is because it breaks several "unwritten rules" of the series: not only are the protagonists anti-heroes (not [just] "plucky rebels against a corrupt establishment", mind - some of them, like the MC Velvet and Rokurou, are straight-up villains) but also the plot feels more personal, more nuanced: it's not (just) a save-the-world story, but also one of revenge, individuality and family.

Talk about a corny review. Anyway, ToB is good, both for Tales fans and newcomers to the series. However, keep in mind it's also the anniversary celebration and a stealth prequel to Tales of Zestiria. So you'll enjoy it more if you have played ToZ. I didn't.

Original Post

Nice write-up. I've heard Berseria is a lot better than Zestria.

Last edited:
Nice write-up. I've heard Berseria is a lot better than Zestria.

Ty! And yeah I've heard that Berseria is the best of the lot apart from the universally beloved Vesperia. Still planning on playing Zestiria, hopefully this year, but I started it and the beginning is so dull that I'm going to have to soldier on.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Reserved

Sign me up. I can hopefully bash out some quick Indie games this year because my clearance rate was dire last year

Completed: -

1: Machinarium

I actually beat the game when it first came out, but of course, they added the Steam achievements later on, so it was worth a revisit to finally put it to bed and get that 100%. Gamewise it's pretty charming however I would say some of the puzzles are a pretty obtuse and there's a lot of trial and error to things. Towards the end, there's a musical puzzle that had someone as tone deaf as you're truly reaching for a walkthrough. Still decent game by Amanita Design.

2: Deponia

I actually bought the complete journey (ironic given they released Deponia: Doomsday recently) and it had been sat in my backlog for a while. Either way added it to my 52 games list and figured I'd tick it off. I'm counting each part as it's own separate game. Either way, kind of amusing point & clicker although the puzzles aren't necessarily all that obvious and there's a lot of clicking random items on random items to get a result.

3: Chaos on Deponia

Wrapped up part 2 of the Deponia Trilogy. Have to say albeit quite enjoyable with some decent gags, though some of the puzzles require are out and out moon logic, and achievement hunters are recommended to use a walkthrough because some of them are extremely hard to get without forwarning.

4: Goodbye Deponia

Finally got around to finishing the last of the Deponia Trilogy. Overall pretty enjoyable though I do feel like Rufus is a bit like Wyle Coyote in that his plans never seen to quite come tother. Last Part is definitely a long one though thankfully not quite as arduous as the second when it comes to the achievements. Now onto Deponia Doomsday...

5: Life is Steange 2: Episode 2

I'm going to be breaking this one down into parts because given the 4-month delay between episodes 1 & 2 I fear Dontnod might struggle to get this one completed by the years end. It was clear from the episode itself this was intended to probably come out before Christmas given the time period of events. Regardless though at 4 hours, it was a bit of a whopper as far as these sort of episodes go. I'm still in the process of digesting it all, but for the most part, it avoided a lot of the criticisms of the first episode and built on the characters in terms of them both coming to terms with what had occurred in Episode 1 and building on it. Somer of the beats were a little obvious, some less so.

6. Soul Gambler

A Visual novel take on the Faustian myth, where you have to try and battle to save your soul with a number of different outcomes. Not that bad a game, some kind of bizarre choices in there and all, but entertaining enough,

7. The Council Episode 1

Part one of this historical narrative adventure by Cyanide Studios. Have to say I wasn't entirely sold on the idea of this game which is why it's been languishing in my backlog for quite a while, however, for the most part, I found it quite a refreshing take on the whole narrative adventure idea, because it's not just a case of pick and choose what you say because you're also bound by certain limitations when it comes to your skills and knowledge, and you need to make decisions throughout with respect to progressing your character accordingly. The story itself is pretty conspiratorial and the voice acting is decent enough, but it does, unfortunately, stray a bit too much into a modern mindset at times in terms of the inner voice of the protagonist on occasion that seems at odds with the setting. Also, I'm not entirely convinced by some of the choices when it comes to the aesthetic appearance of certain characters. Intriguing enough and probably worth a replay at some point in order to try out some different things.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
6OwviHl.png

Game 6 - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - Nintendo Switch - Completed Feb 8th, 2019 (42 hours)
I loved this game to bits, although there were several parts that got a little slow. I'll admit to this game taking me nearly a year to beat, on account that I think I put it away (twice) for other games though I kept coming back to it. The game definitely isn't a looker (it was originally a Vita game, so) it looked alright and played great on the Switch. I loved the "trapped on a deserted island, must escape to survive" aspect that the game started with, but it definitely took some unexpected twists and turns. Was level 83 by the time I beat the game, with 97.425% of the map completed. I saved the clear data (about 42 hours) but I doubt I'll go back and mop up any of the post-game stuff. Great game, highly recommended for fans of the series.

8uGb4Um.png

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!

25:20h, 75 Pokémon found, beat the E4 with Eevee, Gyarados, Haunter, Alolan Raichu, Venusaur and Dragonair.

I have to admit I was the sourest of naysayers when PLG was first announced and I even swore not to play the game like, ever. Of course being a big Pokémon fan I couldn't help myself, but I couldn't shake the feeling of the game being "Baby's first Pokémon" and it being more of a Pokémon Go spinoff than a true Pokémon game. Truth is, this was only partly true.

The game is easier than mainline Pokémon games, yes, mostly because your Eevee is totally overpowered and can learn several OP moves that can carry you for most of the game. But the catching mechanic kinda works, and I appreciate that you have to actually fight and weaken legendaries and other strong Pokémon before you can catch them. Also, I kind of missed the option to disable the Exp. Share just like you can do in Sun/Moon. But on the other hand, I loved that the game made an effort to be cute without being sugary, and gave Eevee a much needed spotlight that is usually hogged by Pikachu.

Looking forward to Pokémon: Let's Go Furret (Kidding... I hope)

Original Post

BurstZyn

5. Star Wars Battlefront (PS2):
Gameplay:
A 3rd person shooter (or first person if you choose to do so) that surprisingly holds really well. I've never really had a chance to play these games as a kid, but this one is a very competent shooter. It has an auto aim to help it work on consoles, runs pretty smooth, and especially fun with friends.
Story: It follows some, i believe, made up campaigns games inspired by the movies, and also includes cutscenes from said movies as well.
Art Style/Music: As much I'm not a fan of Star Wars, i have to give it to the franchise that it probably has the best soundtrack in cinema history.
Additional Info:
I could really see this translating perfectly with the Dice team, as seen in the newer games. I've only played the beta for the second and I thought it was enjoyable, but not enough for a purchase

6. Neon Chrome (PS4):
Gameplay:
Rogue-like isometric twin stick shooter that feels good, has a good amount of replayability with the different classes you get upon each re-spawn; Especially fun with multiple friends.
Story: While there is a story its not really worth any mind, its just serviceable at best
Art Style/Music: The look and sound is techno and with no pun intended 'Neon Chrome' so its a nice beat and sweet to look at as well.

7. Broforce (PS4):
Gameplay:
Taken in the same vein of Contra and Metal Slug, its Run-N-Gun with the twist of several different action characters referencing action stars such The Terminator, Rambo, MacGuyver, etc.
Story: The story is there are some mean looking terrorists assholes that wanna take away freedom, and its your responsibility to liberate them of their brutish ways.
Art Style/Music: The music screams 'America, Fuck Yeah!' and plays along while your PS4 blinks Red, White, and Blue, so what more can you ask for. Ill answer that for you: NOTHING!
Gripes: As much as I love this game... there are some problems... If you were play this game, play the PC version! The PS4 version is so poorly optimized, it was a little tough to brute through the end of the game due to many frame drops, visiual bugs, screen tearing, etc. As you progress through the game, it just seems to get worse as well with the technical problems. So if you can, stay away from the PS4 version.
Additional Info: AREA LIBERATED!

8. Final Fantasy Origins: Final Fantasy (PS):
Gameplay:
As simple as you can get with turn based JRPGs, you take turns with the enemy with who hits first and does more damage. And honestly the simplicity is what makes this game still pretty fun to go back to.
Story: Your group of the four warriors of lights journey together to the Fiends of Nature, you rescue princes, princess', civilizations, etc. Your group consisting of either Warriors, Monks, Thieves, Red, Black, and/or white mages.
Art Style/Music: This is a remake of the original for NES so the updated graphics and art style looks astonishing, especially as you look through the art gallery you unlock more content for as you progress through the game. The music is fun and highly nostalgic, specifically the victory theme that has been used for all these years beginning with the very first game of the series.
Gripes: The story is generic, but doesn't terribly take away from the game or ruining it in anyway. The thing that is annoying about the game... are the random encounters, and how frequent they can be. I know the game is more based on the old school original, with the constant encounters that happen between 1 - 8 steps with no Repel, Like Pokemon, of any sort. Your only chance to reduce unnecessary fights that either give you very little experience or Gil is to either Flee, Destroy the enemy, or Flee to not waste to much time.
Additional Info: Being the first Final Fantasy I have actually played, I actually really enjoyed my time with it and will probably getting around to the others of the series.

ROMhack

2. Shenmue II (this is going well)

I'll probably write a better post later on but I found Shenmue II to be a mixed bag. If the first game is comforting because of Ryo's hometown of Yokosaka then Shenmue II represents a coming-of-age story in a wild world. It's a much more ambitious, but ultimately flawed, game.

It's set in two main locales: the port town of Aberdeen and the walled city of Kowloon. The first part begins similarly to the first game, complete with a lot of running around trying to find stuff. You immediately lose all your money which precludes a sense of danger that doesn't exist in the original. Eventually you emerge in Kowloon and by this point, the world is totally out to get you. There's friends and acquaintances but very little safety - the increased amount of fighting in the game reflects that.

The best thing about Shenmue II is the sense of freedom it presents. It truly feels big and alive, and it's often like you're truly wandering around a living breathing world. Unfortunately the game is marred by some awful pacing. It's slow, and that's fine, but it often feels like a lot of dead ends that serve no purpose but to draw the game's plot out. There's also too many QTEs. The Kowloon section completely tested my patience, which is why it took me a month to finish.

However, the game is saved by an amazing last section. I can't quite put it into words but the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua is just lovely. Their dialogue is heartfelt and we, like Ryo, actually feel like we're getting to learn about a foreign country. The entire act is so serene and calming, especially after the events that precede it.

Overall, it's a game of high highs and low lows. A relic of a bygone age that still stands out. It's like they threw the kitchen sink at it in terms of game mechanics. They clearly didn't know what would work but it ends up really unique because of it.

3/5 (but a high 3)

Hopefully one day we'll get a Shenmue III.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
6. Soul Gambler

A Visual novel take on the Faustian myth, where you have to try and battle to save your soul with a number of different outcomes. Not that bad a game, some kind of bizarre choices in there and all, but entertaining enough,

7. The Council Episode 1

Part one of this historical narrative adventure by Cyanide Studios. Have to say I wasn't entirely sold on the idea of this game which is why it's been languishing in my backlog for quite a while, however, for the most part, I found it quite a refreshing take on the whole narrative adventure idea, because it's not just a case of pick and choose what you say because you're also bound by certain limitations when it comes to your skills and knowledge, and you need to make decisions throughout with respect to progressing your character accordingly. The story itself is pretty conspiratorial and the voice acting is decent enough, but it does, unfortunately, stray a bit too much into a modern mindset at times in terms of the inner voice of the protagonist on occasion that seems at odds with the setting. Also, I'm not entirely convinced by some of the choices when it comes to the aesthetic appearance of certain characters. Intriguing enough and probably worth a replay at some point in order to try out some different things.

8. Square Cells (100% achievement)

Fairly engaging logic Puzzler from Matthew Brown who made the excellent Hexcells . Excellent Value for money (£2 and around 10 hours playtime to beat). Highly recommended.

kyubajin

Didn't make it last year, this year I promised myself I'll go through most of my backlog before adding in more games and already started badly with RE2 :D However I'll try to focus on shorter games for older consoles to make the 10 old to 1 new game ratio.

1. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
PS4 | 14 hours
This is what I call a remake done well, my 1st preorder of the year along with Sekiro. Took me 8 hours for my first run with Leon and 6 hours for Claire and had an absolute blast. Did it very slow, taking in all the atmosphere and amazing graphics. I’ve since beaten all the scenarios for the game and I’m working on my Hardcore S+ runs and already came 3 minutes shy of getting my 1st Hardcore S+ with Claire... This game is pure brilliance.

Kadayi

Banned
8. Square Cells (100% achievement)

Fairly engaging logic Puzzler from Matthew Brown who made the excellent Hexcells . Excellent Value for money (£2 and around 10 hours playtime to beat). Highly recommended.

9. Cross Cells (100% achievement)

I figured after I beat Square Cells I should round out the rest, so I returned to Crosscells and cleared it. It's not quite as elegant as either Square Cells or Hexcells, but still pretty engaging.

10. What Remains of Edith Finch (100% achievement)

I feel a little conflicted as I generally don't consider experiences, like this as 'games' or 'Puzzles' but I have to say as far as interactive narratives go it was pretty amazing, one full of trepidation, whimsy, concern and some genuine moments of sadness (and a bit of dust in the eye). A major step up from the likes of 'Dear Esther' or ' Everybody's gone to the Rapture' in that it wisely leveraged the interactive nature of the medium to great effect. Felt very much like a more sober Wes Anderson movie, which is no bad thing as he's one of my favourite filmmakers. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
mW25osQ.png

Game 9 - Assassin's Creed Unity + Dead Kings DLC - Xbox One - Completed Feb 24th, 2019
This was a pretty poor way for me to follow up the amazing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, with probably the weakest entry in the series I've played so far. But it was one of a handful of AC games I haven't beat before, so here we are. While I loved Syndicate, it's setting and characters etc, I felt like Unity was like a beta version of that game. The parkour was particularly terrible and I often found myself taken out of the game to be frustrated with the controls. I was able to finish the game, somewhat reluctantly, and completed the Dead Kings DLC, but overall the game was a pretty big disappointment.

IKSTUGA

7. Kingdom Hearts 3, 7.5/10
I have very mixed feelings about this one. On one hand the combat and disney segments were pretty awesome, but on the other hand the cutscenes involving original KH characters were just awful and there were quite many of them... Story was dumb too. This is probably gonna be my first and last KH at the same time, I just cant bear watching another cringefest like this :D
Time to update the list, because I had a bunch of time to play during my winter holiday.

8. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, 8.5/10
Was my second time playing the game. Played the original back in 2013. Still Holds up pretty well.

9. Life is Strange: Before the Storm, 9/10
Got the gamepass trial for a few games (mainly this and the new TB). Much like the first game, I really liked this one. The game just hits straight in the feels. For some reason I'm not too excited about LiS 2, because the story seems to revolve around new characters and setting.

10. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, 8/10
Feels like the worst entry in the series. Too much focus put on stealth and puzzle solving. Platforming/climbing and gunplay are my favorite parts of the new TB games.

11. Doom (2016), 9.X/10
Man this game is still amazing. Runs really well on the X as well. Love the gunplay, guns, progression system and graphics. Got lost in a few levels, but other than that no major complaints.

12. Mega Man 11, 8/10
Kinda disappointed actually. Music is kinda bad and some of the levels are really annoying. Some of the new gimmicks are also a bit overplayed. Nevertheless it was still worth playing. Also, some of the options make this a bit more replayable than the older games if I suddenly get the itch to play some Blue Bomber again My rankings: 10 > 9 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 2 > 11 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 8

Last edited:

ROMhack

3. Super Mario Odyssey

After a promising start, the game ended up disappointing me. I wouldn't describe many of the levels as being memorable aside from New Donk City obviously. The story is boring and while Mario has never been about the story, it's just bland. Maybe a bit smug, I put my finger on it. I also don't the collectathon thing, which is seemingly the bulk of the game.

On the plus side, the mechanics are very tight. The first few times it goes into 2D are really cool. Cappy is a classic Mario power-up and Bowser has a cool white suit.

Overall, it's alright.

3/5

Edit: I'm going to write a new review of this because the game is MUCH better after the main story ends.

Last edited:
xdrgqU6.png

Resident Evil 2 REmake

16h-ish. Leon A (B rank) and Claire B (C Rank). Standard difficulty. No extra scenarios yet.

I'm usually a scaredy-cat so I don't tend to play survival horror games much. In fact, I think this one is the first I ever beat. But I couldn't help myself as it got me totally hooked. Not only because of the fantastic atmosphere, but also because of the great graphics. It also ran decently close to 60fps at 4K 90% with volumetric lightning turned to Medium. Definitely a "wow"er.

I used to say RE was not really survival horror but a zombie-themed shooter but now that I finally completed one, I can see where I was wrong. You have lots of guns, yes, but supplies are limited, enemies are everywhere and (as mentioned below) they eat ammo like it's nothing. You spend most of your game limping about, hoping to find a green herb or some bullets. The feeling of helplessness is definitely there.

Only thing I didn't like is, I feel the difficulty was kinda fake sometimes. At first I wasted a lot of ammo going for headshots before realizing zombies soaked them like sponges. I was used to the "go for the head" approach. Once I realized knee shots were much more effective, the game was easier. And I'm glad I could complete it like that because I loved the story - hope they do more remakes like this one so I can finally get into RE.

Original Post

ROMhack

That goes for real life too. Shoot somebody in the knees and they're going down.

Probably.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Time to update the list, because I had a bunch of time to play during my winter holiday.

8. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, 8.5/10
Was my second time playing the game. Played the original back in 2013. Still Holds up pretty well.

9. Life is Strange: Before the Storm, 9/10
Got the gamepass trial for a few games (mainly this and the new TB). Much like the first game, I really liked this one. The game just hits straight in the feels. For some reason I'm not too excited about LiS 2, because the story seems to revolve around new characters and setting.

10. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, 8/10
Feels like the worst entry in the series. Too much focus put on stealth and puzzle solving. Platforming/climbing and gunplay are my favorite parts of the new TB games.

11. Doom (2016), 9.5/10
Man this game is still amazing. Runs really well on the X as well. Love the gunplay, guns, progression system and graphics. Got lost in a few levels, but other than that no major complaints.

12. Mega Man 11, 8/10
Kinda disappointed actually. Music is kinda bad and some of the levels are really annoying. Some of the new gimmicks are also a bit overplayed. Nevertheless it was still worth playing. Also, some of the options make this a bit more replayable than the older games if I suddenly get the itch to play some Blue Bomber again My rankings: 10 > 9 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 2 > 11 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 8

13. Axiom Verge, 9.5/10
Such an awesome game. Beat it for the first time yesterday and it might already be my favorite Metroidvania. At least it's way up there with SotN, Super Metroid and Ori (love it mostly for the visuals and feels, level design isn't as strong as the other candidates). Oh, and I Loved the OST too! Some of the songs just create such a spooky atmosphere.

kyubajin

Didn't make it last year, this year I promised myself I'll go through most of my backlog before adding in more games and already started badly with RE2 :D However I'll try to focus on shorter games for older consoles to make the 10 old to 1 new game ratio.

1. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
PS4 | 14 hours
This is what I call a remake done well, my 1st preorder of the year along with Sekiro. Took me 8 hours for my first run with Leon and 6 hours for Claire and had an absolute blast. Did it very slow, taking in all the atmosphere and amazing graphics. I’ve since beaten all the scenarios for the game and I’m working on my Hardcore S+ runs and already came 3 minutes shy of getting my 1st Hardcore S+ with Claire... This game is pure brilliance.

2. The Order 1886
PS4 | about 6 hours

A very pretty game with an interesting story but very little gameplay, mostly corridor after corridor of cover shooting. Incredible graphics and brilliant voice acting. I hope they do make a 2nd game.

jshackles

Just a friendly reminder that we're about halfway through week 9 of the year. :D

Even if you're behind the curve, there is still plenty of time to catch up!

QLCM.gif

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
10. What Remains of Edith Finch (100% achievement)

I feel a little conflicted as I generally don't consider experiences, like this as 'games' or 'Puzzles' but I have to say as far as interactive narratives go it was pretty amazing, one full of trepidation, whimsy, concern and some genuine moments of sadness (and a bit of dust in the eye). A major step up from the likes of 'Dear Esther' or ' Everybody's gone to the Rapture' in that it wisely leveraged the interactive nature of the medium to great effect. Felt very much like a more sober Wes Anderson movie, which is no bad thing as he's one of my favourite filmmakers. Highly recommended.

11. Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (100% achievement)

Having rather enjoyed Edith Finch which to me felt like ' the walking simulator done right' I figured it was perhaps worth revisiting the Title that started the whole genre off, which I'd played with the original release but had since then been upgraded to the Landmark Edition with added achievements and director commentary. It was interesting listing to the developers given that since then they've made a number of other titles and so they could reflect on certain aspects, as well as the inception of the walking simulator Genre as well as how the idea for the title came about and in large part the decision to set it on an island was a direct result of the limitations of the engine tech they were dealing with when the game was first conceived, when it was still essentially a Half-Life 2 mod. Visually it still holds up fairly well, especially the caves section, but the inability to engage/interact with any of the myriad artefacts scattered around the island definitely works against it. On the positives going through it again, I had a better sense of the storyline and who the respective players were.

CJb4xik.png

Gears of War 4

10h-ish, maybe? Did most of the first four acts in Hardcore difficulty, but had to tone it down near the end.

Very little to say, really. Very enjoyable shooter, mechanically sound. I went almost blind (played the first Gears on Xbox 360) and it left me satisfied. Not a GOTY by any means, mind, but good enough to scratch an itch.

Original Post

tomiguelk

Neo Member
First try here. Finished the first today:

1. Bloodborne + Old Hunters DLC: Amazing game. The DLC bosses are insanely Hard, but the harder they are the better you feel after finally killing them… 9.5/10

2. Wolfenstein The New Colossus: Great game, started it just to try my new laptop, only stopped when I finished it. 9/10 Back to Yakuza 0 and Red Dead Redemption II

IKSTUGA

13. Axiom Verge, 9.5/10
Such an awesome game. Beat it for the first time yesterday and it might already be my favorite Metroidvania. At least it's way up there with SotN, Super Metroid and Ori (love it mostly for the visuals and feels, level design isn't as strong as the other candidates). Oh, and I Loved the OST too! Some of the songs just create such a spooky atmosphere.

14. Fallout 3, 9.5/10
Did a quick playthrough this week just for fun, must have been my fourth time already. I love the feeling of solitude this game gives at times when you're all alone there exploring some abandoned ruins or vault. I really hope they forget about the latest entry and go back to this style of game at some point. Oh and almost forgot to mention, X patch makes loading times ridiculously short, good stuff! I hope they update more of these 360 classics (Mass Effect series, please :3).

Last edited:

SweetShark

Let's see if I can do it this year after dismally failing for the last two. Claimed!

Currently playing:

1) Tales of Vesperia
2) Okami

Completed

I was thinking to do something similar with my Post.
Which program do you use for the Pictures?
Thank you.

Hikikomori6

Neo Member
Hello. I'd like to participate :)

Right now at 2/52

1. Yakuza Kiwami
Excellent game. I played the original Yakuza back when it was released. And they did a pretty good job with this remaster. Some of the remixed tracks are okay (miss the guitars on the original ost) and the grind for the Dragon moveset from Majima kinda got a little too much. But overall it gave me that "Aha" feeling like when I played Demon's Souls for the first time. Really miss these kind of games.

2.Yakuza Kiwami 2
I couldn't wait to start playing this immediately after finishing the first one. It's such a huge upgrade from Kiwami 1, with the Dragon Engine and fighting style and overall feel. I understand this is the first actual "Next-Gen" Engine they've implemented and it shows. Absolutely loved the story and mini-games in this one. Although did start to get a little fatigued doing the completion list. Still I'd recommend Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 to anyone looking for a change of pace from normal modern AAA games.

Hopefully will update soon...

3. Bloodborne + Old Hunters DLC
What is there to say about Bloodborne that hasn't been said already? I loved the fact that the game had a limited number of weapons. You'd get to know each and everyone intimately. Boss fights are incredible, Mood and atmosphere is just thick and heavy. And the combat is perfection! its exactly what the Doctor ordered after playing so many shooters and rpgs last year. This game is pure unforgiving skill and I love it.

Kadayi

Banned
11. Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (100% achievement)

Having rather enjoyed Edith Finch which to me felt like ' the walking simulator done right' I figured it was perhaps worth revisiting the Title that started the whole genre off, which I'd played with the original release but had since then been upgraded to the Landmark Edition with added achievements and director commentary. It was interesting listing to the developers given that since then they've made a number of other titles and so they could reflect on certain aspects, as well as the inception of the walking simulator Genre as well as how the idea for the title came about and in large part the decision to set it on an island was a direct result of the limitations of the engine tech they were dealing with when the game was first conceived, when it was still essentially a Half-Life 2 mod. Visually it still holds up fairly well, especially the caves section, but the inability to engage/interact with any of the myriad artefacts scattered around the island definitely works against it. On the positives going through it again, I had a better sense of the storyline and who the respective players were.

12. Brothers : Tale of Two Sons (100% achievement)

Coming off Edith Finch and specifically the Cannery section I couldn't help but be reminded of B:ATOTS which I played at launch so I thought I'd replay it and also mop up the remaining achievements. Great game, but for some reason, the checkpointing system didn't seem to want to play nice with my PC (I've submitted a ticket to 505 so they can look into it, though given the game is 6 years old at this point I'm not expecting any solutions) and I kept losing entire chapters worth of progress at point, which was pretty frustrating. I managed to track down a completed save file so I could at least playthrough each, chapter. Technical issues aside, still a fantastic game and just extremely imaginative in terms of both design, game-play and aesthetics. I guess my only real criticism is I'd have preferred a slightly lower angle on the camera just to take in a bit more of the world building.

Main Post

6. Deadly Creatures (Wii) - 7/10

Pretty unique game. It controlled well for the most part but definitely had some issues later on. Some levels were really long and others were super short. Overall, I think it took around 6-7 hours to beat it. Worth a play if you can grab a copy.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) - 10/10

Really wondered if it would hold up and it sure does. I loved every minute playing this again and I didn't want it to end. Will move on to Majoras Mask soon which I never got far in as a kid.

8. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U) - 5/10

I wondered if it was as bad as people claimed. It started off fine but then I realized how boring and easy the whole thing was. Most Sonic games have given me a challenge thus far. This was brain-dead easy. I still don't think it is as bad as Sonic 06 or Sonic and the Secret Rings...but it's close.

9. Florence (iPad) - 8/10

Beautiful and moving. Not much of a game but it's something to experience. I enjoyed my time with it but the time was short and the puzzles shouldn't really be called puzzles.

10. King's Quest: Quest for the Crown (PC) - 7/10

Never got far in this as a kid and wanted to play through the series. This was rough. I enjoyed my time but I wandered around without a clue for a fair amount of time. I had to look up what to do with the bird and the Gnome name. Felt good to get through it though. Eventually I will move on to KQ II.

IKSTUGA

14. Fallout 3, 9.5/10
Did a quick playthrough this week just for fun, must have been my fourth time already. I love the feeling of solitude this game gives at times when you're all alone there exploring some abandoned ruins or vault. I really hope they forget about the latest entry and go back to this style of game at some point. Oh and almost forgot to mention, X patch makes loading times ridiculously short, good stuff! I hope they update more of these 360 classics (Mass Effect series, please :3).
15. Wolfenstein: The New Order, 9.5/10
Second playthrough, still love the game. Nazis and plot are so much fun and gunplay is just awesome. Probably gonna play Old Blood next. I haven't tried that one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom