• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2020 US Census will NOT have a citizenship question.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
So illegal immigrants are now officially counted?

Yo @DunDunDunpachi get in here. Remember this discussion we just had?

They're still having children on U.S soil. They later get counted in official U.S Censuses. If most illegal immigrants having babies are also coming from Latin America, what do you think will become the majority demographic in the future?

pennythots

Gold Member
May 14, 2019
Doubt they would have answered honestly or taken it at all otherwise. Should be able to have an accurate count now.

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
Honestly though, what is the point? Is any illegal dumb enough to write it in the census that he is actually an illegal? Or is there another reason, like, when they catch an illegal and find out he wrote that he is a legal US citizen he will be forever denied entry into the US?

Reactions: pramod

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
California loves how it's underpaid & ignored labor force inflates it's share of the vote and federal $$$

keep rigging the census for that sweet govt teet

Last edited:

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
How to defeat America in one week without a shot fired;

50 million Chinese tourists show up during election week in 2020. They vote for a novelty 3rd party candidate. Two party system collapses in a fit of confusion. Civil war, etc.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
How to defeat America in one week without a shot fired;

50 million Chinese tourists show up during election week in 2020. They vote for a novelty 3rd party candidate. Two party system collapses in a fit of confusion. Civil war, etc.
Much fantasy, many lolz

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Much fantasy, many lolz
Logistically speaking, what stops 50 million Chinese tourists from piling up the month before. Visa is 1-3 months right? 200 million chinese visit abroad every year, direct 1/4 to the US and tell them to vote in Democrat majority sites where there is no oversight.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: infinitys_7th

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
Logistically speaking, what stops 50 million Chinese tourists from piling up the month before. Visa is 1-3 months right? 200 million chinese visit abroad every year, direct 1/4 to the US and tell them to vote in Democrat majority sites where there is no oversight.
Someone would blow the whistle. You can't covertly tell 50 million people to do something without anyone noticing. And if a district would have a 80000% voter attendance it would be pretty obvious that something odd is going on.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Someone would blow the whistle. You can't covertly tell 50 million people to do something without anyone noticing. And if a district would have a 80000% voter attendance it would be pretty obvious that something odd is going on.
I believe similar things did occur in California in 2016 and nobody gave a shit.

Reactions: CatLady

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
It's not like illegals fill out the census anyway. This is how governments are able to lie about their numbers in their official stats.

Reactions: mcz117chief

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I'm going to say it again, you don't need illegal to even vote, since they count towards the electoral college just having a bunch on your state increases your state voting power.
Mass immigration & democracy were a mistake.

Democracy should only be allowed when there are absolute tight border controls. Without it, we now see the downfall of every Western country in existence.

Reactions: appaws

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
No citizenship question on the census

No Sex on ID's.

Perfect Leftist Clown World.

Reactions: Oner

Horns

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Well duh! If anyone was following this it was painfully obvious how the Trump administration was ignoring the law. They gave horrible justifications for their reasons. And lied and lied again about it.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Maybe the bad press will get Trump to make a move, such as by firing those resisting such a simple, reasonable question and just forcing it, courts be damned. And disqualify any ballots which do not answer it when the counting comes, of course.

The right kind of foreign interference in our democracy.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Well duh! If anyone was following this it was painfully obvious how the Trump administration was ignoring the law. They gave horrible justifications for their reasons. And lied and lied again about it.
What law made it magically unconstitutional after 2000?

Reactions: Oner

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
More or less, it looks like. Sort of how there is no actual DACA law but the courts make up that Trump cannot discontinue a completely executive venture.

The question was sent to millions of Americans every decade, but now there is apparently a huff over asking Americans yet again when the statistics received would be basically the same thing.

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
More or less, it looks like. Sort of how there is no actual DACA law but the courts make up that Trump cannot discontinue a completely executive venture.

The question was sent to millions of Americans every decade, but now there is apparently a huff over asking Americans yet again when the statistics received would be basically the same thing.
Obama and the liberal estashment deeply believe that if we stop collecting data that tends to have a negative connotation, that this will somehow solve the underlining social issue whether it is crime, racial tension, disparity. Bad students who should get suspended, don't suspend them so that the school doesn't look so bad. on paper Petty crimes like loitering and theft, don't let police record it so that the city seems safe. Hispanics replacing whites population, count hispanics as white and make people think white population is increasing. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be in the US or get benefits, just count them as citzens and give them benefits.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Does anyone in the DNC ever think of the long game when picking their battles? This was especially stupid in my opinion. They will be lucky to find 10 people who would genuinely have voted for Trump and changed their mind because he didn't get a citizenship question through. But there will be no shortage of moderates who just witnesses 3 years of Trump saying illegal immigration is a problem, all the Dems disagreeing, countless news stories suggesting there might actually be a problem, and the Dems celebrating their victory in preventing people from even knowing how many non-citizen's there are in the country. Good luck getting those talking heads out there to effectively explain that a citizenship question would not differentiate legal immigration from illegal immigration. After several years of conflating the two for political points, the luck will be needed.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Well, the supreme court did NOT rule on the citizenship question. So trump CAN make an exec order.

But what I think he should do is just go back to using the longform census mailed which DID have the question on it before Obama removed it.

Now i HOPE Trump takes rash actions. Fuck these assholes on the left.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
This is another fantastic clown world example. Apportioning representation by citizens is apparently fucking racist though!

I hope Trump forces this through. Can't wait for them to shriek "constitutional crisis!" over something we had already been doing without incident from 1850 to 2000. As polling indicates the majority of ethic minority population is in favor of this, and even a plurality of democrats support it. There's no conceivable way this helps Democrats in 2020. It can only hurt them.

EDIT: Maybe the title should be updated to append "(or will it?)"

Last edited:

pramod

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Does anyone in the DNC ever think of the long game when picking their battles? This was especially stupid in my opinion. They will be lucky to find 10 people who would genuinely have voted for Trump and changed their mind because he didn't get a citizenship question through. But there will be no shortage of moderates who just witnesses 3 years of Trump saying illegal immigration is a problem, all the Dems disagreeing, countless news stories suggesting there might actually be a problem, and the Dems celebrating their victory in preventing people from even knowing how many non-citizen's there are in the country. Good luck getting those talking heads out there to effectively explain that a citizenship question would not differentiate legal immigration from illegal immigration. After several years of conflating the two for political points, the luck will be needed.
I was also kind of surprised Trump just didn't take the L on this one after the Supreme Court decision, I mean he is smart enough to know how to pick his battles, and I think he realized that even if he will lose this battle in the end, it's going to benefit him and hurt the left in the process. He probably saw the poll that came out that said around 60% support a citizenship question on the census. Anyway we'll see how this goes but I think the left is stuck in another lose-lose situation. I think if you are completely realistic about it, whether the question is there or not probably is gonna make very little difference, but the crazy SJW contingent on the left is not going to let Trump get away with it.

Last edited:

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I was also kind of surprised Trump just didn't take the L on this one after the Supreme Court decision, I mean he is smart enough to know how to pick his battles, and I think he realized that even if he will lose this battle in the end, it's going to benefit him and hurt the left in the process. He probably saw the poll that came out that said around 60% support a citizenship question on the census. Anyway we'll see how this goes but I think the left is stuck in another lose-lose situation. I think if you are completely realistic about it, whether the question is there or not probably is gonna make very little difference, but the crazy SJW contingent on the left is not going to let Trump get away with it.
In hind sight I don't think we should be surprised. People can say whatever they want about his intelligence, but going against conventional "wisdom" put him in the most powerful seat in the entire world. My guess is he was prepared to move on with the encouragement of his aides, and then saw almost an entire stage of dem candidates support both open borders and free stuff for illegal immigrants (its not really free, they have to pay for it once we give them the money to pay us with). Knowing the MSM would help them try spinning their way out of that position he probably decided he wants to keep this issue in the spot light as long as possible. And at the end of the day it makes perfect sense when you were just given almost 20 opponents campaigning to put illegal immigrants' needs first while simultaneously claiming you want to help the working class.

Reactions: CatLady and pramod

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Democracy is a mistake. We are now paying the price.
It's not democracy that's the problem, it's the corrupt (and very influential) forces within. The propaganda state of the major news providers and, to a lesser extent, entertainment is what's damaging. There wouldn't be so many mentally unhinged people acting like Trump is a genocidal dictator in the making if there weren't so many educators, intelligence "experts," pundits and journalists fueling that ridiculous belief. More needs to be done to fight against it and it seems everyone is scared to make the first move because of the fragile state of that democracy. How do you go about it without being painted as the villain?

Looking back, Trump's wish to have libel laws revisited made perfect sense considering how far the country has allowed things to go.

Google was meeting with Canadian news publishers and journalists at their HQ a couple of nights ago to talk about their "Google News Initiative," but right before the meeting began, without any prior warning, they told everyone that it was all off the record. I already saw the local news (Montreal) mention earlier this year how BuzzFeed Canada was working to protect Canadians against disinformation leading up to the election this fall. Based on how things played out down south, how else am I to interpret that other than them wanting to turn things up here into the same clown show?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
So this is basically activist judges at work again?

If the people (60%) want the question and it was there until 2000 then what is the issue the judges have with this aside from Orange Man Bad?

pramod

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017

If the people (60%) want the question and it was there until 2000 then what is the issue the judges have with this aside from Orange Man Bad?
Even a majority of Hispanics supported adding the question.....the group that the left claims the census is "discriminating" against.

eclipze

Mar 30, 2007

It had nothing to do with orange man bad and everything to do with the process in which it was added.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Trump is dropping the legal battle for adding the question to the census and, instead, directing the Commerce Department to obtain the information through other means.

Seems smart, to be honest, if that's the information he is after.

My only concern is some kind of wide-sweeping "snitch on your immigrant-looking neighbor" initiative. I pay taxes for the gov't to handle this. I'm not going to take immigration security into my own hands unless it crosses the border of my front porch.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Naw, Trump backed down on the executive order. The census battle is over.
Bad move on his part imo, politically. I mean it's already obvious, but this would have just reinforced how horrendously misplaced the Dems priorities are these days. Now they get a "win" and we continue to get representation apportioned by total population, not citizenship which hurts Republicans.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Bad move on his part imo, politically. I mean it's already obvious, but this would have just reinforced how horrendously misplaced the Dems priorities are these days. Now they get a "win" and we continue to get representation apportioned by total population, not citizenship which hurts Republicans.
He exhausted a lot of his political capital with the shutdown. He needs to pace himself with things like this until next year. Executive action can be a bad look.

Oct 26, 2018
Census tracking is done by cities and governement not because they just feel like it, so they can splash something on wikipedia.

The purpose of census is to track and analyze data so the gov can allocate resources to different groups or neighbourhoods/districts.

Since illegal immigrants are likely poor and lowly skilled, what should be done for censuses is track everyone, but for something important like citizenship include that as a trackable stat too.

What people are fearful of is someone being tracked as "not a citizen" and suddenly every cop and customs agent breaks down the door.

They will not do that. There's tons of people who are not citizens in every country. Pretty sure they don't go house to house arresting people.

Not knowing how many people are not citizens keeps the gov in the dark how to fund immigration services.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
President Donald Trump is going to get the information a different way:
More accurate than self reported surveys. Trump will use this data to explain to the American people how dangerous, costly, and unfair illegal immigration is to legal citizens.