• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 Game Developer Awards - Hades beats TLOU2

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GDC was delayed this year due to covid. These awards are typically handed out in early March.

• Best Audio: Hades (Supergiant Games)
  • Best Debut: Phasmophobia (Kinetic Games)
  • Best Design: Hades (Supergiant Games)
  • Best Mobile Game: Genshin Impact (miHoYo)
  • Innovation Award: Dreams (Media Molecule / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part II (Naughty Dog / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Best Technology: Microsoft Flight Simulator (Asobo Studio / Xbox Game Studios)
  • Best Visual Art: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Productions / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Best VR/AR Game: Half-Life: Alyx (Valve)
  • Audience Award: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Productions / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Game of the Year: Hades (Supergiant Games)
  • Pioneer Award: Tom Fulp (creator of Newgrounds)
  • Lifetime Achievement Award: Laralyn McWilliams (28 year industry veteran, creative director of MMO Free Realms)
Curious to see the industry pick Hades over TLOU2 (D.I.C.E awards also chose Hades). Critics and fans picked TLOU2 almost unanimously.

From game of the year tracker:
  • The Last of Us Part II - 305
    • Media Outlets: 197 | Readers' Choice: 108
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 65
    • Media Outlets: 54 | Readers' Choice: 11
  • Hades - 64
    • Media Outlets: 60 | Readers' Choice: 4
I wonder if Naughty Dog will look at this reception from their peers and make some changes. They did win Best Narrative so clearly the devs dont think the story was the problem.

P.S Great to see Flight Sim win best tech. Easily the most technically advanced game ever made. I have no idea why gaf is so dismissive of this game's tech features.

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/hades-game-of-the-year-2021-game-developers-choice-awards

E3 Hades GIF by Xbox
Fox Tv GIF by Family Guy

Well deserved.

The only game of the genre I've ever fully enjoyed.

Edit: Yeesh, some of you mofos STILL can't get over TLOU2 winning awards for its story.

Its fucking sad, guys.

The Simpsons Depression GIF

Move the fuck on already for gods sake.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Congrats to Hades, those devs have consistently made gameplay focused games which I enjoy. Also congrats to Ghost of Tsushima for picking up another award. On another note proving again that Neil and his Team of writers are amazing at Story telling and narrative. When your peers recognize your craft with an award of excellence you know you are doing amazing work. They won DICE Awards for story too if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
love Hades and it definitely deserves to be in the top 3 for the GOTY award winners

I'm a little less sure about it having won best audio though

Mozzarella

Actually most known websites (or critics/journalists) have chosen Hades over TLOU2, those 300+ award you see are from nobody's websites and unknown pages that spawned out of nowhere plus a few known ones.
However a lot of the known websites/magazines/outlets chose Hades over it.
I personally checked most of these 300+ awards via the links and some of them are laughable, totally irrelevant, just there to inflate the number.

Also i believe the art of Ori and the Will of the Wisps deserves recognition. And TLOU2 narrative isn't really well written, but i guess the bar is low already for the year 2020.

Last edited:
Actually most known websites (or critics/journalists) have chosen Hades over TLOU2, those 300+ award you see are from nobody's websites and unknown pages that spawned out of nowhere plus a few known ones.
I personally checked most of these 300+ awards via the links and some of them are laughable, totally irrelevant, just there to inflate the number.

Also i believe the art of Ori and the Will of the Wisps deserves recognition. And TLOU2 narrative isn't really well written, but i guess the bar is low already for the year 2020.
Y6NjAiD.gif

What ever helps you sleep better at night

Guilty_AI

i'm more baffled by how some of these outlets think tlou2 story is actually deserving of awards. Story looks straight out of some edgy webnovel written by a teenager.
I remember reading some writing advices on how to tell "dark" stories and tlou2 checks almost every box on what you're not supposed to do.

No wonder many writters say the bar of storytelling in videogames is pretty low.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

imagine dismissing 300+ awards and pick a 12 as a win. pathetic. just take the L loser

NEbeast

Excuse Me What GIF

Kenpachii

300 awards.

Me: there exists even 300 outlets that give awards?

tenor.gif

Type on that award tracker IGN in search. 14 results.

tenor.gif

IGN straight up gives 14 awards of the yaer away u cant make this up.

What a joke.

We should make the neogaf award show, and give 1k game of the year awards away from each different user.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Hades wins GOTY from developers who actually play videogames, TLOU2 gets awards from games journalists who don't play games.
Not surprising. Same journalists that give 10/10 for game with gunplay on dual sticks controller, massive input lag and auto aim ON
RDR2

Last edited:

Mozzarella

imagine dismissing 300+ awards and pick a 12 as a win. pathetic. just take the L loser
Most of them are actually irrelevant, if you bothered to check, but you didnt. At least 100 of them. Just to inflate the number. I know it won most awards as evident from TGA but still a lot if not most famous and known outlets gave Hades the win.
The fanboys are triggered, cant accept a different take. I dont care. If Hades is overrated as voiced by some users here then TLOU2 is giga overrated.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Sigh, I’ve said it so many times but I got to say it once again everytime I see TLOU2 wins a best narrative award. It’s proves no one in charge of these awards played 13 Sentinels. That game destroyed this in narrative by an insanely large margin and yet it keeps getting ignored. Such a shame.

Top Bottom