• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 September SUMO GRAND TOURNAMENT - Tokyo Kokugikan stadium

Just how good is sumo?

• It's fully sick, mate.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • It's a heck of a sport.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • It's cool.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Tschumi

Well HELLOOOOOOO GAF san(s)!

Following the tremendous success of THIS THREAD I've decided to go ahead and kick off a new thread about the SUMO GRAND TOURNAMNET which I had promised would happen this month.

sumo wrestlers GIF
curtsy sumo GIF

PREVIOUSLY, ON SUMO....

HAKUHO SHO won a tournament undefeated by savagely defeating Terunofuji on the final day. This was a big deal because Hakuho had been out for a bunch of tournaments, and I hoped he might have a chance at stopping Terunofuji from winning Yokozuna rank! (Why? Because I don't like him much, see my earlier OP for why) DIDN'T HAPPEN THAT WAY however because Terunofuji has NOW GAINED YOKOZUNA RANK!

Congratulations you henka-wielding bastard! <3

np_file_100323.jpeg

Got a few chins there dontcha Terunofuji kun?!

----​

So, here we go.

Here's Jason:

Jason-Yokozuna-1686962683-1525354445620.jpg

No, he's not a Rikishi, he's a sumo youtuber/commentator.
He has been doing videos on sumo for years and years, easily 10 years now I do believe, and he's a great hand-holder for anyone looking to get into sumo. He gives heaps of insights and little explanations, he has his own opinions and he's very enthusiastic about the whole deal.

I highly recommend his channel!

He's not going to give you an exhaustive record of the basho - he's a full time teacher (to an extent where he needs to do a lot of preparation for his school during exam season, etc) so he usually records, comments upon and uploads 4-6 videos a day of the key fights, late in the day's matchups. Sometimes he misses a day, he usually uploads a recording of the highlights video that NHK runs in the AM the next morning - this can be good because these let you see every fight.

He does contests every basho, try to get into one for this coming basho!

Here is his introduction video for the basho:

-----

9.jpg

-----

TALKING POINTS FOR SEPTEMBER 2021 BASHO...

• Hakuho - can he repeat?

• Takakeisho - Onetime Tschumi's pick for a potential future Yokozuna for Japan, is he coming back this time? Is he going to be okay?

• Mitakeumi - this guy is glued to Sekiwake (the rank just below Ozeki) will he finally start a march to the second-highest rank? Tschumi hopes so, he's Tschumi's favourite!

• Hakuho - the Japanese Sumo Association don't really like their GOAT, is it racism? They didn't like the way he thumped Terunofuji and pumped his fist in the previous basho... What do you think?
  • Terunofuji - is the arm Hakuho pulled from its socket recovered? Or is he injured before his tenure even starts?

• Takayasu - Half-Filipino Rikishi who once got to Ozeki, has since fallen away - is he going to get back on track?

• Tochinoshin - For the one time in his late career that the Georgian didn't have a buggered knee he was a dominant Ozeki, is his knee going to be better for this basho?

• If neither Hakuho nor Terunofuji are fit, who do we think is in the hotseat to win the basho?

• Would you like another 15-0 win for Hakuho, or would you prefer something a little more close-run?

:lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire: Let's go! :lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire:

Make It So Star Trek GIF
star trek picard GIF
patrick stewart love GIF

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Hell yess. Let's freaking gooooooo. When does the tournament start?

What are your thoughts on Shounanzakura Souta?

Last edited:

Tschumi

Hell yess. Let's freaking gooooooo. When does the tournament start?

What are your thoughts on Shounanzakura Souta?
I think it usually starts about a week from now? I think that's how Jason times it.. i think it starts on a Sunday, then the middle Sunday is a break day, then it ends the third Sunday, but i could be wrong lol i just woke up

I gotta say mate that name isn't riding a bell could you remind me who that is? Might have an opinion to offer then

NecrosaroIII

I think it usually starts about a week from now? I think that's how Jason times it.. i think it starts on a Sunday, then the middle Sunday is a break day, then it ends the third Sunday, but i could be wrong lol i just woke up

I gotta say mate that name isn't riding a bell could you remind me who that is? Might have an opinion to offer then

He's the worst rikishi of all time. I think his standing is something like 3-238-1. Dude kept going though. He retired after July's tournament

Last edited:

Tschumi

He's the worst rikishi of all time. I think his standing is something like 3-238-1. Dude kept going though. He retired after July's tournament
Poor guy lol, how many times has he sat pawing at his flab in a darkened room with Fleetwood Mac playing

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hakuho and everyone in his stable are sitting this one out because covid... bad news for fans, good news for the rikishi who won't have to face Hakuho!

And for those fans of terinofuji, here's his first ring ceremony

Last edited:

Tschumi

Hakuho and everyone in his stable are sitting this one out because covid... bad news for fans, good news for the rikishi who won't have to face Hakuho!

And for those fans of terinofuji, here's his first ring ceremony

I missed that news! Well hopefully Terunofuji will be too injured and someone interesting can win!

I've been busy everyone! I'll be on the train for a couple of hours later this morning so I'll try to post the videos from yesterday <3

Tschumi

Hello all!

N NecrosaroIII get in here! Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs wuddup

Day 1 Highlights.

1 - Tochinoshin vs Kotoeko
The big Georgian who became extremely popular over the last year or two during a brief window of injury-free competition in which he strode to Ozeki with quite some dominance (albiet with no Yokozuna to go up against) His knee is buggered again though so let's see how he goes. Kotoeko had an awful tournament last basho, so here's hoping he does better this time around.

Tochi played it safe and strong, kept stable which looks good for his knee, here's hoping he doesn't get twisted or thrown awkwardly moving forward.

2 - Takayasu - Wakatakakage
Fantastic name for the man in blue, red-mawashi'd Takayasu of course was an Ozeki (heart warming, I think he was the first half-Filipino rikishi to achieve the rank) not long ago but seemed to also suffer from the kind of niggling, persistent injury that takes the edge off all too many Ozeki, preventing them from putting together pushes for the top rank. Wakatakakage, I'm not hugely familiar with the M3 because I had a gap in my fandom over the last 18 months until the previous tournament, but he's a bit new and he seems to be handy and wiley - he has a winning record over Takayasu, though again Takayasu has been dealing with injuries which have seen his rank fall. Had some good results last tournament, if I remember rightly.

I like the look or Wakatakakage, he knows what he's about and he is incisive.. Taking out the much bigger Rikishi with speed, directness and a lower COG. Is Takayasu looking at another long basho? His Ozeki window might be closed for good...

3 - Kiribayama (M2) - (Seki) Meisei
Meisei has been around for a few years now but he's also one of a younger generation, I feel... He's been getting 'winning records' for a few tournaments in a row which is rare... he's made it to Sekiwake (one rank below Ozeki) at Takayasu's expense and let's all hope he can put together the performances required to hit Ozeki - a Japanese Yokozuna is always a wonderful thing (a moment for insta-injured Kisenosato) Kiribayama, coming off a good July, is 'always fun to watch', from Mongolia, known for looking to take his opponents on face-first. Let's see what he can bring against the rising star. Meisei with 3-0 winning record against Kiribayama.

Oh shit, a bit of an upset as rising star Meisei slips and falls forward onto his hands - I thought it was going against the Mongolian after he failed to bring his preferred pushing-shoving game but he got the win

3 - Mitakeumi (Seki) - Takanosho (M1)

Tschumi's favourite rikishi, Mitakeumi, is a steady hand at the wheel, pretty much glued to Sekiwake for years now he hasn't been able to crack it for Ozeki. Let's see if he can make a charge. I like Mitakeumi because he's basically been elite since his first tournament. Of course I'd love him to be slightly moreso lol. Takanosho was once a sekiwake too, I can't say I remember too much about him but if he's not Sekiwake anymore I can only assume he's either old or injured.

Well, that's just badassity from Mitakeumi. Fantastic balance, countering, compact movements, and taking advantages of shifts in his opponent's COG, pushed him out. Please join me in wishing him a purple patch of 3 11-win Basho!

4 - Takakeisho (Oz) - Hokutofuji (M2)
WELCOME BACK TO TAKAKEISHO THE GREAT! Joint favourite Rikishi of Tschumi's, this guy looked destined for the Yokozuna ranking for Japan until a nasty, nasty neck-fall a few basho ago looked to have severaly derailed his bid... But he's back in this tournament, he's still an Ozeki, and BOY do I wish this kid gets back on track. Hokotofuji been around a long time, always in the top division rarely setting the place on fire, but dangerous. Let's see if he can pull an upset! Or, at least, cast light upon a new, fatal Takakeisho flaw! 11-8 winning record in the matchup for Takakeisho.

Tschumi's Bonus Take (TsBT): Takakeisho is a genius when he's fully fit, mixing styles and approaches with lightening quick thought, he turns tables like he's an actor in a 50s musical set in a bar.

After drawing a false start by imitating a rock, Takakeisho LOSES! Ozeki Takaeisho looking very weak! Instantly switching focus to him getting 8 wins...

5 - Shodai (Oz) - Hoshoryu (M1)

Ozeki Shodai has been around for ages, he's a legit riskihi who has finally put it together to get to Ozeki, but he's going up against a dude who has a 0-2 winning record against the Ozeki! Danger match for this second Ozeki, let's see how he's shaping up!

Wow, 0-3 record against Hoshoryu for Shodai, two Ozeki down on day one! The younger rikishi just looked younger, stronger, faster, and more calm. He deflected a grab or two from the Ozeki then got inside and sent him out of the ring.

6 - Terunofjui (Yokozuna) - Ichinojo (Kom)

Serial cheater Terunofuji (hi, I'm Tschumi, in case we haven't met, I hate Terunofuji for a single grub move he did half a decade ago, just let it be what it'll be :p ) with his debut at Yokozuna, taking on possibly the largest Rikishi in the sport, the giant Ichinojo. Ichinojo struggles to do much besides being extremely heavy and strong, but he's a fixture in the top division for good reason.

T'sBT: This is a really interesting matchup, because I think Terunofuji's elbow might be injured after Hakuho's savage win in the last basho, and a super heavy opponent is a really good way to see how that elbow might be holding up. Does he start his Yokozuna career injured?

Well he won, good job Terunofuji. Looked pretty strong, didn't seem to be protecting an elbow. In general Ichonoji just looks too tall and too ponderous to ever be a really great rikishi, I suspect he might be in it for the bitches and dolla dolla bills yo

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Some great matches all around (except Terunofuji's, which was pretty one sided)

My favorite was Takayasu vs Wakatakakage. I was rooting for Takayasu, but Wakatakage was laser focused. Short intense match. Great stufd.

Damn shame Hakuho can't compete, the match against Terunofuji was intense!

Look at that opening combo in slowmo (12min35): palm to the face > elbow to the head > bitch-slap

Last edited:

Tschumi

Damn shame Hakuho can't compete, the match against Terunofuji was intense!

Look at that opening combo in slowmo: palm to the face > elbow to the head > bitch-slap

People don't really rate that he uses his arms and body blows in a way no other Rikishi does, he's essentially playing a different sport... I'm not saying it as a slight, it's just... You'd think someone would try to imitate it or counter it... But they just keep trying to smash into him and he keeps feinting and bringing up his elbow.. to the point where he can do it with gusto like in that video lol... Been doing it for 15 years

Tschumi

Nice bout for Tochinoshin.

Also, a young ukrainian is competing in the third division.
Was wondering if new generations would start coming across... I wonder if Georgia, Ukraine etc have proud wrestling traditions? Mongolia are crazy about wrestling ofc which is why so many of their guys come across and often dominate here...

Jason a bit slow on his upload today, I might end up sourcing videos from elsewhere but I wonder if he mightn't upload a highlights video later this morning or something...

Tschumi

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been a bit slack on this set of summaries! Packed old day, bit of light food poisoning (I'm slowly getting tired of Le Pain Quotidien's toomfoolery, I lived in Brussels when the first one opened but it's a whole different thing now, used to be just great hot chocolate and nutella on super bread, with awesome brownies, now their croque monsieur is making me a pretty morose monsieur!)

I'm going to have to double up here, perhaps, Days 2 and 3! Either way, let's get down to day 2. I'll try to deploy some Tschumi-humor on the way.

As I predicted, Jason uploaded two 'highlights' videos, which are actually great because we get to see the wider Banzuke in addition to the key matches towards the end of play. Let's have a look-see...

Video 1

1 - Chiyomaru (M16) - Akua (J1)
Not too sure on Akua, who has come up from the second division to contest this early Makuuchi bout against M16 Chiyomaru. I've heard Chio' named 'the human beachball' before and surprisingly in a sport like sumo I do think he has a pretty clear resemblance to the beachside implement. I'm backing him for this bout purely because he's been in the top division for ages and this guy he's up against isn't even in it.

Well it took a while, and I'm not sure the M16 is going to be lighting up the basho, but in the end he's able to slap down the Juryo man and go to 2-0 on the basho.

2 - Ichiyamamoto (M15 - Chiyonokuni (M17)
Chiyonokuni is familiar to me, a younger fixture in the top division, Ichiyamamoto has the distinction of being my pick for the M10-15 ranks in the 'fantasy' for this tournament because I think he won the Juryo comp last time around and you gotta respect momentum

Chiyonokuni (2-0) with the win, very quickly propping up Ichiyamamoto (1-1) then slapping him down, hands first, reminiscent of Meisei yesterday.

3 - Tokushoryu (M16) - Chiyono (M15)
Tokushoryu an interseting genetic specimen, he weight distribution seems to be quite different to most Japanese, rather than getting round he is rather front-heavy, and consequently he looks a bit like a jolly policeman sketch from Punch in the 1800s or something. Chiyono another relative newcomer, or low-ranked, with whom i've little experience.

Some excellent ropework from Chiyono (1-1), not giving up until the final moment and letting the pot belly do the work with Tokushoryu (0-2) losing his grip on victory like he may have occasionally lost his grip on rice bowls in his youth (unconfirmed)

3 - Kagayaki (M13) - Yutakeyama (M14)

I think if you look carefully at the end of this bout you can see Tochinoshin waiting for his next bout to the right of the Dohyo (platform), notice how he has to maneuver his knee like furniture... Feel sorry for this guy, amazing he can remain in the top division with a grandfather clock for a leg. I know little of the two rikishi involved in this bout.

A very intense push and shove match, Kagayaki (2-0) gets a win over Yutakeyama (1-1) after a pretty balanced fight in which he was nevertheless inexorably trending towards the win. Extra pork in this fellow's donburi tonight.

4 - Kaisei (M14) (BRA) - Tsuragisho (M13)
Brazilian Kaisei's been around for ages, a less effective Tochinoshin, he has a morbidly fascinating set of hooters. I'm uninspired by him, he and Aoyama are just shockingly ugly white dudes who never do too much (to be fair Aoyama does a bit sometimes) Tsuragisho is beyond my knowledge - until today, of course!

Shades of old goldy Kotoshogiku, Kaisei (1-1) does a stomach-bump attack to slowly ease Tsura' (0-2) out of the ring

5 - Endo (M11) - Tochinoshin (M12)
A battle of pretty popular rikshi, Tochinoshin was of course hugely popular overseas during his now oft-mentioned purple patch, sadly his injuries have brought him back down to his former stomping ground of the mid Maegashira ranks. Endo on the other hand was once the 'handsome' young up and comer, but he's never really come anywhere and he's most notable for retaining something approaching a proportionate face and wearing pretty colour mawashis. Apparently the sumo women fans dig him. Let's see if Tochi's knee is okay.

Not much to say about Tochi's (1-1) knee after that bout, Endo (1-1) easily got well under his guard and maneuvered him out right-quick.

6 - Miyogiru (M10) - Kotoeko (M11)
Is match. Is good. Miyogiru been around for a while, let's see.

Miyogiru (2-0) with a solid, quick win, he must be thinking of the toilet break after the bout. Kotoeko (0-2) got a grip to his neck and couldn't handle, getting steered off the dohyo like a big, fat boat.

7 - Aoyama (M - Hidenoumi (M10

Big Aoyama of Bulgaria, with boobs that would put pamela anderson to shame, going up against a large man of advanced girth. Aoyama sometimes brings his A-game and fenangles his way into the Sanyaku (the rank family above Maegashira) but not so much.

Hoo, Hidenoumi (1-1) holds the whale (0-2) at arm's length then pulls him over, as if he were trashing the bookcase in an otherwise pleasant livingroom.

8 - Chiyotairu (M10) - Tobizaru (M8)
Starting to get into Riksihi that Tschumi likes, Tobizaru is perhaps most famous for refusing to take Hakuho straight-on in the previous basho ( strange headache strange headache can imagine why he'd have done that) and having a comical multi-minute bout. Chiyotairu's been around for yonks and has his shit somewhat together. When he's not clogging toilets with it.

Wow, that was a good bout and no mistake, Tobizaru with a very impressive and muscular throw of the much larger Chiyotairu (1-1). The message from 'the flying monkey' seems to be loud and clear: If you're not going to thwack me in my face and elbow my chin, I'm legit.

9 - Shimanouni (M7) - Okinoumi (M8)
Okinoumi is Jason's favourite rikishi because when Jason first came to Japan he lived in the prefecture of which Okinoumi is the sole top division representative in, I dunno, a thousand years or something. He's also a handy, rangy rikishi who has been known to beat Yokozuna and other high ranked wrestlers on occasion. Can't really put long streaks together, though. Shimanoumi, I know his name but I forget what his deal is.

Slightly boring bout there, they grip for a few moments then Okinoumi (1-1) drags down Shimanoumi. (1-1)

Video 2

Holy shit can't believe I'm doing this, surely nobody's reading it. Hello, nobody!

10 - Ura (M6) - Terutsiyoshi (M7)
Ura is a rikishi I really like, he looked like he was going places, but he's never really been able to get into the top ranks. One of a few bright sparks that later got eclipsed by young stars like Takakeisho. He's going up against a large man of advanced girth. I like that generic description I'm happy with my sense of humor nicely done Tschumi chan. Doesn't matter that Terutsiyoshi isn't that fat.

Yikes, a spiteful encounter, Terutsiyoshi (1-1) trying to bring some of the Hakuho pugilism to enrange Ura (0-2) off his game... Does it work? Yes! Wow! Ura looked like he had it, looked like he had kept his cool, but when he finally looked to have turned the tables and started moving Terutsiyoshi back, he got a bit ahead of himself and Teru' directed him off the edge. Ura shakes his head in rage at the brutal treatment, Terutsiyoshi isn't as good as Hakuho and so this fighting style is less awesome and more shitty.

11 - Onosho (M6) - Takarufuji (M5)
Onosho another rikishi who looked like he was heading to the Sanyaku (alongside Ura) until brighter sparks overtook him, he's still pretty legit but he's struggling to put together good runs of form. Takarafuji is an old dog - possibly Mongolian? - who has the fighting style of a higher ranked rikishi, if not the record.

Real sumo, they face up and give their best, don't agree with Jason that Takarufuji (1-1) was not trying anything, I think they were just feeling 'with their feet' (at Josh Allen might say, Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes , teehee) and in the end Onosho's (2-0) feet proved the surer. I'm always pretty glad when he does well, so here's hoping he has a good tournament.

12 - Tamawashi (M4) - Chiyoshoma (M5)
Funny old name for Tamawashi, his name is just an ace away from either being the name for a fibrous traditional dish scraper (Tawashi) or the huge thong all rikishi wear (Mawashi), so I always get a kick when I hear it. Chiyoshoma is Mongolian, I'm almost certain! Getting higher in the ranks here, these guys usually know what they're about though they tend to be cannon fodder against the big boys in the Sanyaku.

That didn't last long, Tamawashi getting the win as Chiyoshoma (0-2) lets himself down, all the way to the floor of the dohyo, where he placed his paw. Easy win the the kitchen scraper/g-string and he moves on with a 2-0 record. Bad start to the tournament for Chiyoshoma.

13 - Daiesho (M4) - Kotonowaka (M3)
Daiesho has been around these ranks for ages, he's a solid conteder, a less elite Mitakeumi let's say. Kotonowake is a relative newcomer and is, perhaps, on the way up. I am triggered by his very perky boobs and belly.

Daiesho (1-1) loses as Kotonowaka (1-1) finds an opening in a playground-style shoving match and gets a bit more leverage, pushing Daiesho over the side. His boobs are so fucking annoying.

<Sanyaku Ranks>
14 - Wakatakage (M3) - Ichinojo (Kom)
The man with the name that the NHK's Japanese English commentator couldn't prounouce right if he had a fucking gun to his head taking on the walking fat mountain Ichinojo from Mongolia, who has landslid his way into the Sanyaku for a stint and lost first up to Terunofuji on day 1. Ichinojo been around for ages, Wakatakaetcetera has been around for fewer ages. He's a good looking rikishi who seems upwardly mobile.

Good lord Ichinojo is big. After a long stalemate in the middle of the dohyo, which with every passing second probably put the match more in Wakatakakage's direction, the stalemate got even longer and I sent off a few text messages, before the stalemate got longer still and finally Wakatakakage (2-0) showed a doubtless ex-fucking-hausted Ichonojo (0-2) to the door with a muscular pivoting throw which made very little physical sense.

15 - Mitakeumi (Seki) - Hokutofuji (M2)
Yay, Tschumi's favourite Rikshi, taking on a man who seems to be just about as glued to the upper Maegashira ranks as Mitakeumi is glued to the elite ranks. This is a risky one for Mitakeumi, as Hokutofuji knows his shit. When he's not clogging toilets with it.

Ahhh fuck. Why do you do this to me, Mitakeumi? (1-1) You're so elite then shit like this happens and you don't get to Ozeki. He was monstering Hokutofuji, but he got ahead of himself and got directed off the edge by savvy older rikishi (2-0)

16 - Meisei (Seki) - Takanosho (M1)
We talked Meisei up on day one, a rising star, then he fell on his hands, let's see how he goes against Takanosho here. Remember folks that when you get to Sekiwake rank you exclusively fight the hardest rikishi, which is why these ranks are such big deals.

Rising star is falling for the second day in a row, he put up more of a fight this time but Meisei is at 0-2 after being maneuvered to the edge and out by Takanosho.

17 - Shodai (Oz) - Takayasu (Kom?)
Shodai at his career high Ozeki rank (big props to him, not gonna lie, fucking hard to get Ozeki) taking on former Ozeki and much loved injury-pawn Takayasu.

This is top rank sumo. These guys were on the knife edge the whole time, exerting massive force and skill. Wonderful to watch. In the end Takayasu (0-2) goes for a throw that would have won it, but can't quite manage it with a too-high grip and falls backwards over the rope. Shame, but he is looking more fit. Shodai (1-1) just looking a bit badass in his Ozeki rank.

18 - Kiribayama (M2) - Takekeisho (Oz)
Courage, Takekeisho! His comeback starts today! A rikishi who looked like a future Yokozuna until he suffered a horrific neck injury a few basho ago, he lost on day 1 and looked very weak in that loss, let's see if he can do better today.

Shit, Takakesho (0-2) definitely looked crafty, looked a bit better, but he is not looking strong. Kiribayama with the win after he withstood a few deft but powerless feints and redirects.

19 - Hoshoryu (M1) - Terunofuji (shin-Yok)
Finally the last bout. Lol I can't do this every day it's too much typing, I hope you ingrates enjoyed it! Rar! Final bout, two legit rikishi but of course the big Mongolian is the peak legit rikishi de jour.

WOW! Big props to Hoshoryu, he tried a lot of things and get really close! But Terunofuji (2-0) widthstands the attacks by dint of weight and strength and eventually moves Hoshoryu (1-1) out, surviving a brave last-ditch throw attempt. I like Hoshoryu after this!

Thanks to anyone who read this, hope I got a laugh or two outta ya - or at least a smirky grin :) - I don't think I'll do this in future, but I just love this shit so damn much.

It's already time for day 3 highlights, I think I'll do them tomorrow morning or somesuch.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Okay I just had to do this, to get back ahead of the curve and not worry about it going forward. I hope you guys appreciate it, I'm giving up Gundam 0079 and Cyberpunk for you!

1 - Takayasu (Kom) - Kiribayama (M2)

We know what's up, nice guy Takayasu with an 0-2 record but looking a bit more fit than he has lately, up against Kiribayama who I must have just written about in my previous post but I can't remember a thing about, and so he is designated a large man of advanced girth.

I often see Takayasu being hold up like this, an extended stalemate with Takarasu reaching in for a belt grip, a few minutes worth. Kiribayama tried a few things, broke things up, Takayasu with counter-attacks.. WHAT A BOUT! Really exciting. Jesus I haven't seen such a great bout in years. Everyone should watch this. 3 or 4 minutes in they must be getting tired, and I think Kiribayama might have the edge if they're getting tired. OH! WOW! Takayasu goes to 0-3 as Kiribayama ends up throwing the former Ozeki, who must have been entirely out of energy. What a bout. Fire. Fire. Fire.

2 - Wakatakakage (M3) - Meisei (Seki)
The rikishi whose name the NHK Japanese English Commentator Couldn't Pronounce Correctly With A Gun To His Head taking on the 'rising star' who has been doing precious little rising so far this basho, 0-2 record going in to this. Wakatakaketcetera has a hugely challenging name but he's looking so, so good.

Meisei (1-2) back on track, using an 'old faithful' technique of engaging then pulling down his opponent, the 'rising star' now on the right track. Waktakabanana less happy (2-1)

3 - Mitakeumi (seki) - Hoshoryu (M1)
Hoshoryu showered himself in glitter with his performance against Terunofuji yesterday, he goes up against Tschumi's favourite rikishi Mitakeumi who looked amazing on day 1 and frustrating on day 2. Jason with some funny observations about sumo equipment, such as it is. I'm anxious for my favourite rikishi going in to this.

Wow, Mitakeumi (2-1) back on motherfucking track, this is why I like him so much - he used like 3 seperate techniques (most rikishi are married to one or maybe two techniques) to counter a very dangerous rikishi in Hoshoryu (1-2) in arguably more convincing fashion than Yokozuna Terunofuji yesterday. He finished with a rage'y chuck off the platform too, for good measure. Fuck yes, Tschumi's Favourite Rikishi Mitakeumi!

4 - Takakeisho (Oz) - Ichinojo (Kom)
Ah, apprehensive Tschumi is apprehensive. Takakeisho has looked low on strength, and he needs to get 8 wins to retain Ozeki ranking. Luckily he's looking against an Ichinojo who has looked somewhat out of his element at the advanced Komusubi rank. He's heavy, though, and as I've said Takakeisho has looked very low on strength.

Oh wow, you have to watch Takakeisho (0-3), even when he's unfit he looks like Sumo's answer to Mohammed Ali... Feinting, waiting, diving in, skipping away, he would have won this bout any other time but his lack of strength meant he just couldn't get Ichinojo (1-2) over the rope and he got turned, ponderously, in the end. Feel so bad, man, but man this injured star is still really good.

5 - Shodai (Oz) - Hokutofuji (M2)
Ozeki Shodai, looking strong, coming in with a winning record against Hokutofuji who is coming off a win over Mitakeumi, let's see how he goes here. I hope the Ozeki wins because Hoku' beat my man yesterday and I'm a fickle so-and-so.

Shodai is looking about as legit as he has for his whole career up until now, he's balanced and has poise. A solid win to move to 2-1, Hokutofuji also now at 2-1.

6 - Terunofuji (Yok) - Takanosho (M1)
Takanosho coming off a loss to Meisei yesterday, let's see how he goes against the MAN TO BEAT, cheating scum Terunofuji. Takanosho's record against Terunofuji is a respectable 2-3, so let's see if he can even their history up! Keep watching at the end of the video to watch the 'bow twirling' ritual at the end, the guys who do this are great at whipping around the stringless bow and sweeping evil spirits off the dohyo.

Takanosho had a great plan going into this fight, but undefeated Terunofuji is just too strong, and he contained the M1 well.

Done! Time to go break up some random street crimes in Night City! Love you all.

NecrosaroIII

That second Terunofuji fight made up for the first. Terunofuji was in control the whole match, but Takanosho put up a hell of a fight. Some real subtle grappling going on there.

Last edited:
Amazing recap Tschumi Tschumi , I'm not that well versed in sumo but you make me enjoy watching these videos.

My condolences to this poor chap (forgot his name) though:

DLvpSRm.jpg

I know Sumo takes its toll, but man this is way too harsh :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Tschumi

strange headache strange headache you're damn right lol that guy is a study in ill-advised breast implants

DAY 4

1 - Kiribayama (M2) - Ichinojo (Kom)
Yesterday Kiribayama brought out a savage pugilistic mode, slapping Ura to kingdom come on his way to a savvy - if unattractive - win. Ichinojo - the biggest rikishi i can think of - has had a tough start to the tournament at the advanced rank of Komosubi, and we wish him happier days ahead. Let's see how they go.

Kiribayama with an immediate attempt to guide Ichinojo out on a wave of flabby momentum but the big boy held steady, they clinched for a while - clenched too no doubt - until Kiribayama had a go at another dangerous throw which again failed to finish the bigger man... In the end though Kiribayama is able to get the win, as FatMountain obviously ran outta puff. More than his weight and fitness, Ichinojo just doesn't seem to have enough variety to his sumo, to me. Kiribayama pretty impressive, not a slap in sight today but he still got the win. 4-0 Kiribayama at the top of the leaderboard for another day! Ichinojo is 1-3.

**bonus info: Kiribayama facing Terunofuji tomorrow, good to see a hot hand taking a shot at the Yokozuna early in the comp!

2 - Mitakeumi (Seki) - Takayasu (Kom)
Well well well! This is another interesting one! Tschumi's Favourite Rikishi Mitakeumi going up against fallen angle Ozeki Takayasu. Both of them have looked pretty good this tournament, but poor Takayasu is 0-3 coming into this on the back of a few close losses - he's always looked to be in his bouts! Mitakeumi (2-1) has one disappointing bout and two epic pro'tastic bouts under his gstring. Can Takayasu turn on the style and get a win his sumo has deserved? History suggests he can, he's beat Mitakeumi the last 6 times they've met! Very lopsided record.

Well then! Mitakeumi getting his first win over Takayasu in at least 7 attempts, some briefly hanky panky before Takayasu invokes the spirit of Meisei on day 1 by falling apparently without cause onto his hands. 3-1 for Mitakeumi - come on 11 wins! - 0-4 for Takayasu and he has to win 8 bouts to 3 losses to retain his current rank of Komosubi! Pooooooor Takayasu, he was so proud and his mum was so happy when he got to Ozeki :'(

3 - Meisei (Seki) - Kotonowaka (M3)
Kotonowaka has boobs that look like cheerful sparrows in the morning and that pisses Tschumi RIGHT off, but he's a handy young rikishi. Is he handy enough to chirp 'rising star' Meisei off the dohyo? Meisei is 1-2 so he's fighting for an even record, Kotonowaka with a legit 2-1 record.

Right from the start youth is on display, these rikishi both have serious young talent and Kotonowaka is able to shimmy away from a risky position with vigor and intent. They stalemate for a bit, the higher ranked Meisei gets himself into a bit of trouble with body position but OH WOW! Kotonowaka finally gets cocky and Meisei (2-2) turns what must have been an inches-from-defeat position, low on the rope, into a deft turn and win, Kotonowaka finding himself off the dohyo as if by magic. That was classy, I love these talented young rikishi! Take a walk to 2-2, birdyboobs!
4 - Shodai (Oz) - Takanosho (M1)
M1 Takanosho knows what he's about, but he's at 1-2 so far after facing some tough opponents. Shodai is looking uncharacteristically imperious at Ozeki rank, he's 2-1 after a shaky day one. Shodai wins their head-to-head record 6-2, so this bout is a great chance for Takanosho to git gud.

See, that's what sets an Ozeki apart. Takanosho shoved a mit right up Shodai's throat from the very start, and Shodai could do nothing but stagger back to the rope, but at no point did he lose his cool and he snapped off the snappiest of twisting throws to have Takanosho rubbing rash cream on yet another sandburn to his arse. Takanosho has the face of a battler, but he's in a battle to record wins at the moment. Shodai 3-1, Takanosho 1-3.

5 - Hoshoryu (M1) - Takakeisho (Oz)
Another chance for Takakeisho (0-3) to get his sumo together, he is sorely lacking in power but he's still looking classy. Hoshoryu (1-2) is a dangerous rikishi who has given his best against a succession of tough opponents... Maybe he'll have some joy today at Takakeisho's expense? I sure hope not, I love Takakeisho, but the dude looks about as strong as a tissue in a raging fart at the moment and things do not look good.

YES! YES1 YES! SING IT FROM THE RAFTERS TAKAKEISHO (1-3) WITH A FUCKING CLASSY WIN! Yokozuna level sumo, doggy-style there from the young Japanese fellow from Tokiwayama, he might not have much strength in him but boy has he got NOUSE and SKILL, he deflects, deflects, deflects, repositions Hoshoryu (1-3) all over the ring before a deft, DEFT slapdown and inch-perfect, folicle-perfect strut.

6 - Terunofuji (Yok) - Hokutofuji (M2)
Hokutofuji (2-1) looking alright, benefitting from an off day by Mitakeumi, Terunofuji not showing any physical weaknesses. Hokutofuji is a legit riksihi so let's see how he makes out against the big Mongolian. Who is scum (had to be said).

Ahhh, everyone's looking like they have some chance against Terunofuji! I bet N NecrosaroIII enjoyed this one! The big Mongolian always just stays strong and centered and eventually brings his big levers into the equation... In this case Hokutofuji looked like he really had a chance to pull down the Yokozuna, but in the end Terunofuji sets his feet and flips a slightly unbalanced Hokutofuji like a Saba fish in a frypan.

<3 day 4 done! Some good wins for some good rikishi! Tomorrow Terunofuji will face a man with an identical unbeaten record!

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

You weren't kidding about that Terunofuji match. Jesus. Best match I've seen since his loss to Hakuho.

I've noticed that sometimes when the rikishi are starring each other down before a match, suddenly one will get back up and start like waving around. Any idea what that is about?

Tschumi

You weren't kidding about that Terunofuji match. Jesus. Best match I've seen since his loss to Hakuho.

I've noticed that sometimes when the rikishi are starring each other down before a match, suddenly one will get back up and start like waving around. Any idea what that is about?
haha the way you describe it is funny :p

Actually they sorta have three or four 'gos' at squatting at each other and throwing salt on the dohyo... you can tell which turn they're on by how the gyoji (ump) holds his baton... when he is holding the baton facing towards the camera and resting back onto his arm, you know the fight's happening.. if he's facing to the side or something they're still warming up.

Usually when they suddenly surge up and start waving their arms around it's because they're about to start the fight, and they're psyching themselves up.

EDIT: As you can see I'm fucking psyched about Takakeisho finally getting a win :p

Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs anybody got a shot against Terunofuji, do you think?

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
haha the way you describe it is funny :p

Actually they sorta have three or four 'gos' at squatting at each other and throwing salt on the dohyo... you can tell which turn they're on by how the gyoji (ump) holds his baton... when he is holding the baton facing towards the camera and resting back onto his arm, you know the fight's happening.. if he's facing to the side or something they're still warming up.

Usually when they suddenly surge up and start waving their arms around it's because they're about to start the fight, and they're psyching themselves up.

EDIT: As you can see I'm fucking psyched about Takakeisho finally getting a win :p

Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs anybody got a shot against Terunofuji, do you think?

Hakuho :messenger_beaming:

But really, I don't think so. He's good at sumo and his physique is impressive.

Tschumi

Unfourtunately guys Jason seems to be distracted from his channel ATM so I'm gonna link in NattoSumo (they helped us out last tournament) for DAY 5's results. It's currently Day 6.

I'll update this post as I watch them if I see anything cool, will try to avoid another wall of text :p

TSCHUMI'S THOUGHTS:
1) crud, my competition pick for M10-15 (Ichiyamamoto) looks to have a gimpy knee
2) second bout, Tokushoryu looked to be in control, but a well placed paw to his face seems to have distracted him. Toughen up mate!
3) Chiyonokuni is a legit Rikisi, 4-0 going in to this bout against Brazillian Kaisei - he wins! Kaisei just in it for the dolla dolla bills and bitchez yo

4) Battle of the beachballs, Chiyomaru and Tsurugisho... Oh lame, Tsurugisho almost wins with a henka, his pride slightly ameliorated by Chiyomaru staying in long enough to need to be pushed once or twice.
5) two large men of advanced girth take each other on and the winner is Kagayaki. 'parrently.
6) Chiyotairyu - Tochinoshin, Georgian gets a fist in the chin straight up and takes a heavy tumble off the dogyo... It's a mono'ii! (judge conference/video replay) but it looks like Tochinoshin put his arm down before Chiyotairyu.
7) Weird old finish for Hidenoumi vs Kotoeko, an attempted trip-throw results in some disco posing on the rope until they realize Hidenoumi stepped over.
8) Aoiyama - Endo. Oh, ouch, the man with the disgusting pornstar jugs tips over fan favourite Endo, a tap on the head and a flourish to see him off.
9) Miyogiru - Tobizaru - this is a fun fight, two pretty good young rikishi... Tobizaru getting another W (4-1) to beat undefeated Miyogiru (4-1)
10) Shimanoumi - Terutsuyoshi - Terutsuyoshi famous for throwing a bunch of salt, he's looked pretty good recently but he loses this fight.. trying to mess with Shimanoumi's momentum, the orange gstring'd fellow keeps centered and forces the man in black over the rope.
11) Oinkoumi - Onosho - two likeable Rikishi, both with identical 3-1 records... That was top quality, both wrestlers had their moments, but Onosho started and finished strongly. 4-1.
12) Chiyoshoma - Takarafuji - two familiar faces, the Mongolian on the left has picked up ZERO WINS so far this basho. 2-2 for Takarafuji... Chiyoshoma is desperate and aggressive, looking pretty healthy, but he over commits and gets sent to the dirt by a serence Takarafuji.
13) Ura - Daieisho - sad to see Ura at 1-3, he's better than that... WOW! Fantastic ending, Ura had a rock solid game plan and executed really well... When Daieisho wasn't playing along at the end Ura PICKED HIM UP and deposited him over the rope. Great job Ura san!
14) Oh, that's a shame, Hokutofugi pulled out after injuring his knee against Terunofuji yesterday. Walk-over win for Takanosho.
15) Takyasu - Hoshoryu - Hoshoryu pulled out with 'acute consilities', that's a shame he's been doing a really good job but leaves the basho having a 1-3 record. Takayasu with an easy W.
16) Ichonjo - Meisei - Young gun against giant fatso, Ichinojo pulling out a surprising win, Meisei didn't have the minerals to push the big man anywhere today and Ichinojo eventually got an opening.
17) Mitakeumi - Tamawashi... Tschumi's favourite rikishi goes up against Tschumi's favourite rikishi name, Kitchen Scrub/G String Tamawashi. Mitakeumi looking for 11 wins, he's 3-1 going in... Fucking classy, Mitakeumi took all Tamawashi could throw at him, was unfazed, then showed him the door. What a boss. Fuck yes. 4-1.
18) Kotonowaka - Takakeisho - Kotonowaka of the INFURIATING boobs taking on Tschumi's annointed 'next yokozuna', the peerless but unfourtunately currently injured Takakeisho... Can Takakeisho get his second win as he continues his journey up to full fitness? WOW, Takakeisho's strength is BACK, that was an immense, desceptively simple win. I love the way this guy fights, changing styles at will... total mastery... he outmuscles birdboobs and steers him, inexorably, over the rope.
19) Shodai - Wakatakakage - Imperious Ozeki Shodai (3-1) taking on he whose name the Japanese English Language Commentator Couldn't Prounounce Correctly If He Had A Gun To His Head Wakatakakage (3-1)... Easy win for Shodai, who seems to have simply thumped Wakatagaetcetera too hard in the initial charge.
20) Kiribayama - Terunofuji... Mongolian on Mongolian, Kiribayama has looked versatile and aggressive so far, let's see what he can do against the Yokozuna, they're both undefeated... Shades of Harumafuji about Kiribayama... More lithe but very skilled... Terunofuji with a soldi grip but no way forward... Kiribayama is gonna have to take the initiative it seems... Ahhh, fuck, Terunofuji survives the skill and eventually gets enough of a grip to just pick Kiribayama up and drop him outside the ring. Looked vulnerable!

Last edited:

Tschumi

Lol that chiyosoma neck pull... how did that even work?

Hoshoryu is the truth! Also like Kiribayama, they both seem like successors to Harumafuji

Fucking Terunofuji the most boring Yokozuna ever lol is he going to end every bout by picking the opponents up?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sumo Council told him to use more variety in winning techniques as a Yokozuna...

---

Sometimes i think it looks like the bouts are pre arranged, not in a gambling manner, more like a helping-the-other-guy-out manner... Takayasu gave away that henka I'm certain..

Shouldn't be necessary, i rate Chiyoshoma highly

---

Sorry i haven't done my big posts guys, I'll admit it i got a bit Jaded about writing huge summaries which only one to three people seemed interested in :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'll do a summary post to bring it all up to speed today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tschumi

UP TO SPEED/DAY 8 COMMENTS:
Okay guys so Jason put up a bunch of day 8 videos for you guys to enjoy, I'll go through them each here, I've put Natto sumo above because they've been putting out content erryday but yes I still enjoy having Jason's take so I'll stick to that format.

I'll not say much to cover the missing days, but I will try to pay some lipservice to where the rikishi's records are at the moment.

1 - Tochonoshin (M12) - Ichiyamamoto (M15)
Tochi's record (2-5) telling the tale the kneetape. His right knee seems to be constructed of fine aged timber. Ichiyamamoto has looked a bit unfit this tournament, not many wins despite being at just about the lowest possible rank. I personally expected more of him, as he is in my competition team for this basho.

Wow, in the end Ichiyamamoto (3-5) took the fight to Tochi (2-6) in the way few rikishi have in recent years, roughing him up and stretching him around... He used his mobility to get the win against a clearly much stronger rikishi.

2 - Ura (M6) - Tobizaru (M8)
Two exciting young rikishi here, Ura (3-4) burst onto the scene a few years back with very daring, flexible and creative styles (I think on day 6 or 7 in the video above you can see him bending over until his head was almost touching the ground in an effort to lift a rikishi over him - it didn't work) Tobizaru (4-3) is younger and has been similarly mobile and incisive. He is of course still fondly remembered for the pants way he took on Hakuho in the previous basho.

Both Rikishi have smiles on their faces in the buildup to this bout, but it seems like they're both in their owns worlds - or perhaps they're old friends? They're certainly similar movers. No big bump in the tachi-ai, they stay at arms length with some frantic grip attempts... They hold hands, rub heads together, Ura goes for a push-down and in the ensuing scrambling around Tobizaru (4-4) fell off the dohyo but - oops! Ura (4-4) looks to have rolled a weakened ankle on the rope! That sucks! A grimace to go with his win.

3 - Takayasu (K) - Chiyoshoma (M5)
We've seen this one before, henka/neckpull, I wonder if Chiyoshoma was gifted this win to help him out.

4 - Hoshoryu (M1) - Ichinojo (K)
I like Hoshoyu, looks like he could be a Yokozuna one day in the mold of Harumafuji, but like Harumafuji he will need to start taking down the biggest boys - Harumafuji took down Hakuho, Hoshoryu needs to take down Terunofuji and co! Ichinojo (3-4) occasionally manages to encounter rikishi who don't understand that he's just a giant fat mountain the can do little but smother and push. Hoshoryu has a 5-1 winning record against big boy.

Ichinojo gives it a good old try, he's got Hoshoryu in a grip and he tries his best to bring his weight to bare... Hoshoryu starts trying a few trips and throws, nothing quite works, until he tries a suicide throw (the one where they both fall and he tries to land second) but OH! MONO'I! Well, it was too close to call and the judges rule a rematch. What happens now? Ichonojo's face hasn't shown an emotion in 10 years but his body language communicates excitement and eagerness... he even brings out the world's slowest false start... Ah, that's better from Hoshoryu, he's a tad cheesed that the first one took so long and he's slightly pumped after he sends the big felluh over the rope. Feeling a bit sorry for big felluh there, he had a plan for the rematch but couldn't quite make it work - haven't seen him move that fast in a while.

5 - Meisei (S) - Mitakeumi (S)
Tschumi's Favourite Rikishi Mitakeumi (5-2) going up against 3-4 Meisei. Mitakeumi with a one win edge in their head to head... Both of these guys are in the 3rd highest rank in the sport, Mitakeumi with his sights on a 11 win basho to start an Ozeki push. Ozeki's the hardest rank to get, he'd need 3 11-win tournaments to make the promotion. Come on mate! Meisei younger, that rising star, he's been in fits and bursts so far this basho. If Meisei doesn't win this match he'll be looking at a very hard road to retaining Sekiwake rank.

Well then. Mitakeumi the boss of the Sekiwake ranks. Meisei had a weird old game plan to try rapid fire pushes and keep Mitakeumi off balance, but the younger rikishi seemd to get himself in a muddle, lost track of his footing and Mitakeumi was able to push him against the rope then yank him back down the dirt. Fuck yeah Mitakeumi!

6 - Shodai (O) - Kotonowaka (M3)
Shodai (5-2) up against bird-bood Kotonowaka (2-5), the Ozeki has been looking pretty solid so far this basho but Kotonowaka has a certain n'est-pas about him (aside from his infuriating, layered, perky boobs) and he looks like he'll be about these ranks for years to come. Let's see how he goes against a man in the second highest rank in sumo.

Oooo, the win for the young Maegashira... He looked younger and stronger than the Ozeki, shades of a more lithe Kisenosato...Not good for Shodai (5-3) to be losing 3 bouts in the 'easier' first week... Kotonowaka (3-5) has been fighting the hardest rikishi thus far, he looks like he should be able to get his wins this tournament. Watch this space though, he's got a ways to go yet.

7 - Daieisho (M4) - Takakeisho (O)
Daiseisho (5-2) has been, as is his wont, a dangerous looking rikishi so far this basho... Getting some legit wins... He's up against Takakeisho who, on his day, is the best rikishi in the sport but has been struggling to get fully fit and totally effective this basho. This is a dangerous matchup for Takakeisho! Will he survive?

Oh, that was pretty impressive from Takakeisho. Showing some real strength, he forced the dangerous Dieisho (5-3) back, got him rocking, then slapped him down. Takakeisho is 4-4 now and you have to be banking on him finding 4 more wins at least in this partially unfit basho. He's still one of my favourites for beating the Yokozuna.

8 - Terunofuji (Yok) - Tamawashi (M4)

The kitchen scraper/g-string (3-4) taking on the big meathead (7-0) who only knows how to be a fat bastard and pick people up/drop them outside the rope. HARUMPH! Terunofuji with a 9-5 lead in the winning record. Let's see how the Tawashi goes...

Ahhh, fuck, so fucking close. Dammit! He got a mit to Terunofuji's throat and looked to have him inches away from teeterign over the rope, but he couldn't quite do it and then boooorrriiing old Terunofuji squatted down to his haunches, picked the dude up and shuffled him over the rope. I hope he gets a warning for uninspiring kimatie! ROAR!

Tschumi

It happened it happened muhahahahahteehe

200.gif
Adam Driver Win GIF by Saturday Night Live
will ferrell cheer GIF by Saturday Night Live

disclaimer: you guys know how i feel about teru, he's still the overwhelming favourite (though he'll be facing harder rikishi in the coming days) i just really liked this

N NecrosaroIII get a load of thiss

Last edited:

Tschumi

That kinboshi!!!

Tochinoshin also lost and Kache-koshi seems impossible now. He’s going to lose rank.
I think tochi is past it, sadly, i think he had his window of full fitness and full strength, but it's closed again he's just too old to do a Terunofuji... I guess he'll retire before he has another 10 win tournament

It's a shame, but he got to a really high level, unlike Aoyama and Kaisei... I think Aoyama got Komosubi... Or maybe even Sekiwake briefly? But yeah, Tochi lived the dream...

Last edited:

Tschumi

The videos are around 47 mins each, how long does a typical day last?
the bouts go on all day, in divisions, they start in the morning maybe around 10am and by early afternoon they get into the top division... it's great you watch them that way :)

-----

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS

N NecrosaroIII i think the Terunofuji bout today will blow your socks off and maybe give u a new second favourite rikishi :p I knowI've been swayed... I always liked that guy but after today he looks like he could really make his unique approach work...

Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs matchup of the day for you?

strange headache strange headache your thoughts?

Well, I hope you've watched the day's play before reading this!

Takakeisho and Mitakeumi were both absolute badasses today, thumping their legitimate opponents, so I'm happy. Ura smelt blood in the water in his bout against Terunofuji[, but it was not to be although the savant in the pink mawashi showered himself in glory for an incredible effort.

Shodai beat a dangerous opponent in Terunofuji's conquorer Daieisho, Tochinoshin beat a rikishi i would have expected to beat him in goldenballs Tobizaru... Promising hoshoryu lost to shiteatinggrin-surpressing fellow Mongolian Kiribayama in what was basically a more decisive Henka... Looked slightly simulated if I'm perfectly honest... And Onosho showing the world how good he can be when he's sufficiently fit, taking out Endo like it ain't no thing and executing today's most exceptional strut.

Ben Stiller Swag GIF

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
the bouts go on all day, in divisions, they start in the morning maybe around 10am and by early afternoon they get into the top division... it's great you watch them that way :)

-----

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS

N NecrosaroIII i think the Terunofuji bout today will blow your socks off and maybe give u a new second favourite rikishi :p I knowI've been swayed... I always liked that guy but after today he looks like he could really make his unique approach work...

Takakeisho and Mitakeumi were both absolute badasses today, thumping their legitimate opponents, so I'm happy. Ura smelt blood in the water in his bout against Terunofuji[, but it was not to be although the savant in the pink mawashi showered himself in glory for an incredible effort.

Shodai beat a dangerous opponent in Terunofuji's conquorer Daieisho, Tochinoshin beat a rikishi i would have expected to beat him in goldenballs Tobizaru... Promising hoshoryu lost to shiteatinggrin-surpressing fellow Mongolian Kiribayama in what was basically a more decisive Henka... Looked slightly simulated if I'm perfectly honest... And Onosho showing the world how good he can be when he's sufficiently fit, taking out Endo like it ain't no thing and executing today's most exceptional strut.

Ben Stiller Swag GIF

Stuck at work! 😅

pbRjOUy.jpeg

Damn brutal headbutt at the 4min 52sec mark.
Big manboob rikishi won a match finally at 5:30.
Match at the 7:00 mark was a brutal endurance test.
Both falling at 10:52, man what a ridiculously close win.
Best match at 20:45, frikkin' balls to the walls slappin' of doom.

Terunofuji at 22:50 was an even bigger endurance test. Dude in pink gave everything, but Teru got bored and just threw him around.
For some strange reason, I'm addicted to the slowmo shots. They better convey how brutal that sport really is.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

It happened it happened muhahahahahteehe

200.gif
Adam Driver Win GIF by Saturday Night Live
will ferrell cheer GIF by Saturday Night Live

disclaimer: you guys know how i feel about teru, he's still the overwhelming favourite (though he'll be facing harder rikishi in the coming days) i just really liked this

N NecrosaroIII get a load of thiss

that loss is it like if Orange Cassidy defeatsed hulk hogan?

also where can I find tournament replays or streams? DM please

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

-----

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS

Ben Stiller Swag GIF

That kiribayama win lol I never get tired of seeing tachiai into throw. So clean.

AS for good fights, Takakeisho delivered.

Tschumi

that loss is it like if Orange Cassidy defeatsed hulk hogan?

also where can I find tournament replays or streams? DM please
I think this thread has a few YouTube channels posted, nattosumo, Chris sumo, Jason's sumo channel.. there used to be a Livestream called mbovosumo on twitch but it got shut down i think, natto gives raw Japanese footage,chris and Jason both give commentary

Is that kinda what you were looking for?

Tschumi

Okay guys, a great day in the Sumo today so you're gonna get the full treatment.

In the interest of participation I'ma go ahead and tag those who have been engaging most :p strange headache strange headache Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs and N NecrosaroIII you champions.

Here's the video for today:

Starts off with NattoSumo guy telling us that he thinks Terunofuji is a wanker. Why? Because Terunofuji petulantly tossed a half-fit Takayasu off the dohyo yesterday, ruling Takayasu out after he sustained a bad hip injury that'll require 2 weeks' recuperation.

Bout 1 - Daiamami(J2) - Chiyonoo (M15)
A Juryo with a losing record coming up to Makuuchi? That's unfair lol, anyway he's taking on M15 Chiyonoo who at 4-7 isn't crash hot either.

Well, congrats juryo guy (he's been in the top division before) Daiamami moves to 5-7, he can't lose another bout so it was good that he got a win in the upper division today!

Bout 2 - Chiyonokuni (M17) - Tochinoshin (M12)
Tochi has been back on form lately, and wonder of wonders his left knee is unbandaged today! Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs might like seeing that! He's been on a bit of a roll of 3 wins in a row here, so he's definitely in form... Chiyonokuni however made a lot of hay in the first week and he's got his winning record already, sitting pretty at 8-3.

Well, that's a good win for Tochi (6-6) and I for one am glad to see that he appears to be getting closer to some degree of fitness and mobility! He was dancing around the dohyo like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever today, and he beats a very in-form Chiyonokuni (8-4)

Bout 3 - Chiyotairyu (M10)- Kotoeko (M11)
Two large men of advanced girth, I'm aware of either of these guys but not too much to say on them. Last I saw of Kotoeko he was looking pretty solid so I guess he's my pick, let's see...

Well, that's pretty much what I predicted, Chiyo-- but up a good fight but it's Kotoeko who comes away with the win after a long wrestle.

Bout 4 - Kagayaki (M13) - Miyogiru (M10)
Miyogiru has been in supreme form this basho, taking down pretty handy wrestlers like Okinoumi and Endo, he's at a fantastic 9-2 record and could conceivably still be in the basho race if he keeps on 2 losses. Kagayaki at 5-6 will be looking to get back even rather than putting himself within one bad day of a losign record.

Oh boy! That's a huge upset, and you can just see the pain on Miyogiru's face after that one, is he looking at his chance at a basho going down the tubes? He underestimated Kagayaki's strenght, and when the M13 put his paws in just the right place to shift Miyogiru a bit further than expected it was all over.

Bout 5 - Aoyama (M9) - Yutakayama (M14)
Boobman (6-5) taking on A Large Man Of Advanced Girth in Yutakayama of an identical 6-5 record. Will Aoyama manage to reach around his hulking melons and actually lay hands on his opponent?

Oh, looks like Aoyama gave up a win in order to protect a suspect knee there, if he had put some more weight on his left knee at the end he might have been able to lift Yuta-- over the rope with a pivot, but no such luck, and he moves to 6-6 while Yuta is now one win away from saftey.

Bout 6 - Tsurugisho (M13) - Hidenoumi (M9)
Two Large Men of Advanced Girth preparing to get acquainted.

That's a quick result, Hidenoumi didn't put up much of a fight and looked a bit ginger at the end there. These Two Nondescript Rikishi Of Advanced Girth complete their boring-fest by having identical 5-7 records coming out of this. Neither of them will want to lose again this basho - that's a tall order.

Bout 7 - Tokushoryu (M16) - Tobizaru (M8)
Oh boy, not a good basho for Tokushoryu, who is 3-8 in the second from bottom rank of the whole upper division. OUcccch. Tobizaru always looks like he's in bouts with a chance - unless he's getting his boyish and naive ass handed to him outright - but it's hard to be sure. Let's see...

Ey, good job Tobizaru (5-7), after a false start he was proactive for the whole fight and he finished with a nice trip and an even nicer dismount. More good news for Tokushoryu (just kidding, too soon?)

Bout 8 - Shimanoumi (M7)- Kaisei (M14)
I'm sure Kaisei is, as I've said many times, just in this for the bitches, hoez and duckets so I never really expect much from him going into bouts.

*note, funny errors by the camera team at the start of this bout, listen out for the director freaking out somewhat

That's, pretty much, what I figured. (Frasier reference, anyone who gets it will ... win gold. I'll buy you gold if you know who made that reference. Actually probably not because it can easily be searched I guess. Actually, maybe not, but whatever, That's pretty much what I figured.) Kaisei lost.

Bout 9 - Ichiyamamoto (M15) - Terutsuyoshi (M7)
This is a shocking record for Terutsuyoshi, I thought he was better than 3-8, but whatever. He's going up against Ichiyamamoto who has the dainty'est legs in all of sumo... It hasn't done him much good either because he's appeared to have injured legs for the whole tournament, his record isn't crash hot either (also 3-8)

Again, surprised by Terutsuyoshi as he is laid low by a men who lacks functioning knees! Big, rangy Ichiyamamoto (almost 20cm taller than Teru') with the win against the Hyogo Kid. These rikishi both have losing records for the basho so who cares about their record after this bout. It still sucks.

Bout 10 - Ura (M6) - Chiyomaru (M16)
Ura, the magician and crowd favourite, has a wonderful pre-bout routine.. He recites some zazen mantras then takes AN SINGLE PINCH of salt to flip onto the dohyo. His record of 4-7 belies his quality, I feel. He's going against the definitive sumo Human Beachball, Chiyomaru. That's doubly funny because 'maru' means 'circle' so this guy's name is circle and he is a circle with legs. He's 6-5.

Shit, Ura never got going, looked like he went in too low and Chiyomaru (7-5) just rolled over him (intentional joke), at least he didn't have much trouble pushing Ura (who is now guaranteed a losing record for the basho) down. Ura apparently put on weight in recent times to be less of a pushover (literally), but I wonder if it's not putting too much strain on his joints.

Bout 11 - Wakatakakage (M3) - Chiyoshoma (M5)
The Man Whose Name The NHK Japanese English Commentator Couldn't Prounounce If He Had A Gun To His Head (let's see, can I call him TMWNTNJECCPIHHAGTHH? no. I that is no easier to type.) going up aganist Chiyoshoma, a Mongolian who had an awful run of 7 straight losses to start the basho but is now on 3-8.

Well, that's pretty impressive from Wakatakaetcetera as he moves to 6-6 with a win over the doomed Mongolian... Upon watching this it seems to me that the thing setting Wakatakapeanuts aside from the other rikishi is his set of functioning knees and the great power he can generate with them. Hope he stays fit, he's 26 years old.

Bout 12 - Okinoumi (M8) - Kiribayama (M2)
This is an interesting bout, Jason's favourite rikishi Okinoumi ('my man from shimane-ken)') is always handy, and he has a solid 8-3 winning record, but he's 6 ranks below the Mongolian (7-4 record). Kiribayama has some good wins under his belt, Meisei, Takayasu, my man Mitakeumi... But he's been using the henka a fair bit, let's see if he can keep wriggling his way to victory...

Wow, fantastic bout, that's one for the books... A protracted grapple, Okinoumi always looks to be on top but he can't get Kiribayama out - at one point he appears to be trying to shove the Mongolian out by the chin like he's forcing a fish down a garbage disposal in the sink, but it doesn't take! - in the end the Japanese rikishi wins with an acrobatic, indeed spectacular suicide trip (I didn't know Okinoumi was 36, wow!)

Bout 13 - Hoshoryu (M1) - Daieisho (M4)
Mongolian Hoshoryu is a good looking rikishi (in terms of sumo) but Daieisho is so far the only rikishi to beat the Yokozuna so my money's on the Japanese rikishi from Saitama. Hoshoryu lost a bunch of days to a throat infection so his record's unsalvagable, but Daieisho is in a critical phase of the tournament at 6-5.

A solid win for Daieisho (7-5, one win from a winning record), who is really a very dangerous Rikishi indeed. I hope he can get it together to move up the ranks and push Terunofuji along with the other hot young* Japanese rikishi. *very few of these rikishi are actually 'young', Takakeisho is though if memory serves) He is all over Hoshoryu who favours us with a Michael Jackson-inspired twisting leg-split finish on the edge of the dohyo.

14 - Endo (M11) - Takanosho (M1)
Crowd favourite and prettyboy Endo has had a good basho (at a really low rank of M11), he's at his 8-3 winning record so he can take it easy if he wants. Takanosho with more to play for today, 6-5, he needs two wins to stay safe.

Wow, Endo showing some great movement there, he took a huge hit in the tachi'ai but recovered and scampered around the rope to push Takanosho down. Endo moves to 9-3. Proof that they don't always deliberatly give wins away, heh heh heh

15 - Takayasu (K) - Tamawashi (M4)
Kitchen Implement/G-string Tamawashi gets a needed easy win as Takayasu is out injured. He's 5-7, can't lose another bout if he wants to keep his rank.

16 - Mitakeumi (Sek) - Onosho (M6)
Tschumi's Favourite Riksihi Mitakeumi going up against Onosho, a dangerous (younger) rikishi who seems to be on the comeback from injury. If Mitakeumi wins out he'll be 12-3 this tournament, which is a fantastic first step towards Ozeki promotion, so let's hope he gets the W!

Aaaahh Fuck. Tschumi's favourite Rikishi Mitakeumi with a dissapointing loss, Onosho fully deserved it with a balanced and rapid attack, Mitakeumi sometimes lets himself get off-balance, something he would do well to emulate Kisenosato in overcoming if he ever wants to move up the ranks. Onosho's in my top 5 favourite Rikishi for sure so I'm not entirely bummer that my #1 didn't win.

17 - Shodai (O) - Ichinojo (K)
The man mountain of flab Ichinojo from Mongolia taking on Japan's own Shodai, Ozeki with a winning 8-3 record. Ichinojo always looks pretty hapless to me but he's on a decent 5-6 record going into this bout.

Well then, after a bunch of false starts that resulted in harsh words from the world's most unpleasant looking man on the sideline, the two rikishi finally get into action and OH! Shock! Hitherto imperious Shodai got cocky and thought he could out-bulk the single bulkiest rikishi in the universe. Played to Ichinojo's strengths and he's 8-4! IchiNose,Joe is 6-6.

18 - Takarafuji (M5) - Takakeisho (O)
Ah well, it's all about Takakeisho, the Ozeki who has spent most of his career on a beeline to Yokozuna but suffered a horrific injury last time out. He's back, he was looking pretty weak for the first 3 or 4 days, but he has looked a hell of a lot stronger in recent times. I would say he's now the single most likely rikishi in the whole thing to beat Terunofuji. Takarafuji is a legit rikishi but he's just a roadbump for Takakeisho, I reckon.

Jesus, you do not fuck with Takakeisho. He is back and he is back to his best. The single strongest shove in all of sumo, mixed in with elite agility and balance, threw in a devastating left hook for good measure, when he pushed Takarafuji over the rope it reminded me of this video:

19 - Meisei (S) - Terunofuji (Yokozuna)
The 'Rising Star' Meisei has been a big part of the tournament this time around, mixing it with tough opponents and securing a few good results. He hasn't had it all go his way though, and he's sitting at 4-7 going in to this bout against Terunofuji. Even if he wins today I'd say he's odd-on to lose his rank of Sekiwake going in to the next tournament. Terunofuji (10-1) is coming off a typical cowardly push-off that sent Takayasu out of the tournament in a wheel chair, so I hope he leaves the arena in a wheelchair himself, today.

OOOHHH YES! OH YES! 2 LOSSES FOR TERUNOFUJI AND I'M FIST PUMPING BABY! Again, any legit rikishi who uses mobility and unpredictability is going to trouble this meathead, and Meisei - young, fit and resourceful - out-faught, out-muscled, out-passioned the bully and sent him scurrying into the crowd with his tail between his legs. What a win what a day what a sport what a spectacle! Meisei moves to 5-7 but he's gonna be feeling good with a 'kinboshi' gold star Yokozuna scalp under his buttflap. Terunofuji is 10-2, just a fartswidth ahead of his closest challengers. Time for Takakeisho to blow this shit wide open and win in a playoff!

Last edited:

Tschumi

Sorry about the Mitakaumi match :( hellauva fight though
I still hold hope that he can get 10 wins, i mean, i think he can best shodai and Terunofuji, maybe not takakeisho though.. he'd got Terunofuji tomorrow holllly shit

Last edited:
Starts off with NattoSumo guy telling us that he thinks Terunofuji is a wanker.

Nah man, he say we're not in the ring so we shouldn't judge so easily. I don't think Teru wanted to hurt that guy on purpose.

Man I can just never remember all these names :messenger_grinning_sweat:

- Big manboob sumo throwing away another victory (7:00)
- Dude got steamrolled (8:15) rikishi is plased of himself

naL61CT.jpg

- He faked his start (8:53) by not putting both hands on the mat, sneaky bugger lost anyway
- This was funny, even the referee seemed to look away in shame (10:18), good thing sumo fighters shave their armpits

JQw3RE1.jpg

- At (12:22) the pink belt rikishi suffers a crushing defeat, tumbles off the ring into what seems to be a VIP (also pink belts will never look good on these dudes)
- Loved the match at (14:05) and amazing slowmo at (16:03)
- Two fake starts at (19:30) in a row, deserved the L, even that dude seemed disappointed and disgusted

PGSbcsM.jpg

- Look at that mesmerizing slowmo (21:14), all that majestic fat undulating in rhythmic waves, it's almost like staring at a lava lamp
- Lastly, holy crap at the match between Terunofuji and Meisei. Dude is 2 levels beneath and dominated that match, if he still loses his rank that would be a real shame.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What a day!

Tochi MIGHT get kachi-koshi and avoid demotion! Let's hope his streak continues.
Teru got BEAT by Meisei who looked as if possessed by a demon! What speed and ferocity!

Also Takakeisho is getting in form! Some NICE fights!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So day 13, Teru won (buuuu).

But Tochi won (rejoice!).

Still two days to go but Tochi might avoid make koshi, he stands at 7-6 now.

Top Bottom