• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 Holiday sales report: Xbox Series X wins Black Friday, Nintendo Switch wins Thanksgiving. Top games: COD: Modern Warfare II and GOW: Ragnarok.

zzill3

Banned
Really is weird being so soon after the day and no XSS on there.
How long until we get more sources just for this day? NPD for the month will be mid December right?

Three

Really is weird being so soon after the day and no XSS on there.
How long until we get more sources just for this day? NPD for the month will be mid December right?
I think NPD usually mention some BF stats but I could be wrong.

Neo_game

Microsoft will like always term it as Series consoles instead of giving the actual number of SX and SS. I hope someone give the numbers. Someone has to be tracking it.

Fredrik

Not believing it is fine, there’s reasons to be suspect, but propaganda? Adobe’s holiday sales report doesn’t give a shit about who wins
Someone said they were actually scanning receipts, that’s more than NPD’s estimation and extrapolation magic, so this is no doubt a legit result.

But it’s just for Black Friday.

There is no way PS5 isn’t outselling Xbox in november with the Ragnarök release and bundle.

Ozriel

M$FT
My question, what were the XSX deals? I saw tons of deals for the XSS but other than the Instagram shopping deal I didn't see anything for XSX.

There weren’t any. The only XSX deal you’d see on Slickdeals was the short lived Instagram shopping blanket deal.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The devil is in the details:

https://www.cnbc.com/select/us-credit-card-debt-hits-all-time-high/

Also I'm not sure why people are surprised that the Series X outsold the series S. Consumers are not as stupid as people think. The Series X is a far better value proposition by every measurable metric, especially with the discounts that were available. The vast majority of consumers do not buy based on price alone, they buy based on value.

Just because something is cheap, it doesn't make it good value. Price alone does not determine that.
I legit thought there just weren't any series X, as so much evidence points to loads of stock of ps5s and series s piled up in stores and no series x. From photos etc.

I was under the impression Microsoft were thinking, well we have so many series s we will just go with that for black Friday and clear them out, best way to go against a ps5 nd god of war bundle.

I question this data and wait for npd and confirmation but if it does turn out series x was the leader I'll be shocked. Looks like he reason there's no sign of them in stores as they were just flying out the door while it was slower on other SKUs.

noise36

Amazon Au Xbox Series S 20% off in stock, PlayStation 5 all model at RRP in stock, Xbox series X no stock.

Saying that the PS5 is sitting up near the top of the best sellers list so must still be selling like hotcakes. xbox series S not in top 50.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Thread is over ten years old, and not a single thumbs up or fire emoji.

That's rare in popular sales threads on Gaf.

SHA

Yeah, I just spend 300 bucks on my Xbox series x , it's worth every buck that ive spent , there are actually many great games , listen to Xbox store reviewers, they are honest deep to their heart , Don't listen to the trolls and fanboys of the internet , there are many and you could barely find an honest guy and girl there , it's a swamp , don't even waste your time there cause you'll get sick from it.

zomboden

Banned
my brother purchased 2 series s for his kids friends to use for fortnite/roblox when they come over. i think he got them for 200$ each with the target deal. I think the price cuts attracted a mainstream audience this black friday. Will it be enough to win NPD? I doubt it because PS5 stock has been improving

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Checking out the source article, it doesn’t say any of those ‘won’ Black Friday. Just lists them as ‘Hot items’. Might not be an exhaustive list.

Elios83

I don't believe this green rat propaganda.

Lets wait for actual official sources.
This is no propaganda but context has to be put.
It's Adobe Statistics, they track online sales only, the charts are about hot items in general.

In different articles covering these data they say that both Series X and PS5 were hot items in gaming. Effectively there's no mention of Series S but we know that both PS5 and Series S have been well stocked.
So who knows, I think it's better to wait for actual PR next week which may not be released for the US market so it's about November NPD.

Last edited:

Elios83

Xbox is cutting prices. Sony is raising them.

This result is not a surprise.
Sony has not raised prices in the US.
The only model Xbox model this report mentions is not the cheap one that was heavily discounted and properly stocked.
So the conclusion should be that higher priced systems are more desirable than Series S even at a huge discount??
But as I said these reports have to be put in context. It's a "hot items" chart and Adobe tracks online sales only.
It's basically wait for NPD or actual PR next week ( which may not arrive given that both Sony and Microsoft are trying to downplay their success for regulators :messenger_tears_of_joy:).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
First time I heard about this website and Adobe Analytics tracking game sales.

I'll wait for the NPD, Famitsu and European gaming market data.

This is sound logic. I don't trust the report.

Ain't no way with the launch of God of war and loads of stock of ps5s piled up in stores.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
First time I heard about this website and Adobe Analytics tracking game sales.

I'll wait for the NPD, Famitsu and European gaming market data.

If that was the case then Xbox would have won way more NPDs.

The Adobe digital price index has been a leading indicator for inflation over the last couple of years, their data is accurate.

yurinka

People are seeing more value on Xbox than Playstation. I believe it's all about the cheaper prices and GamePass.
When looking at the main value differentiator, which are the big exclusives/system sellers, I don't see MS getting the lead this year. I'd wait to see official data from the industry sources like the platform holders, NPD, Famitsu, the European ones and so on.

The Adobe digital price index has been a leading indicator for inflation over the last couple of years, their data is accurate.
I have no idea for other industries, but it never has been using in gaming to track game or console sales.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Also I'm not sure why people are surprised that the Series X outsold the series S. Consumers are not as stupid as people think. The Series X is a far better value proposition by every measurable metric, especially with the discounts that were available. The vast majority of consumers do not buy based on price alone, they buy based on value.

Just because something is cheap, it doesn't make it good value. Price alone does not determine that.
Just surprised me because most Black Friday shoppers seem to be moms looking to score deals for Christmas Presents who I would think would be looking just at price tags

Couple that with the fact the Series X has been sitting on shelves for months now unless a ton of people jumped on the $100 off the X sale on the MS IG store

I do agree with what CatLady CatLady said earlier that the article has it worded in a way that is just says the top selling items included these things not "these are the top 5 items sold" type of wording

Ozriel

M$FT
When looking at the main value differentiator, which are the big exclusives/system sellers, I don't see MS getting the lead this year. I'd wait to see official data from the industry sources like the platform holders, NPD, Famitsu, the European ones and so on.

you’re waiting to see official data from Famitsu and Europe to confirm spending patterns in the US during the November holidays?

Is everything OK?

I have no idea for other industries, but it never has been using in gaming to track game or console sales.

They aren’t tracking game or console sales. They just reported analytics from surveys etc on hot items on Black Friday. Toys, games, movies, drones, everything.

They didn’t ask Eddie to open a thread here.

Last edited:

jm89

Eddie makes SO many threads about Xbox it's insane. He's like the Nibel of Xbox.
Dude is making up for the time lost from his ban.
jim-carrey-typing.gif

yurinka

you’re waiting to see official data from Famitsu and Europe to confirm spending patterns in the US during the November holidays?

Is everything OK?
I want to see reliable NPD data for US, reliable Famitsu for Japan, the different typical European rankings for EU etc. plus also reliable data from the console makers for wordwide console sales. Or at least numbers from one of the few reliable gaming market analisys firms, or from the US or EU gaming trade unions.

I reject to believe or give too much attention to numbers from a website I never heard before that mentions a source that game companies never used to track their sales or to analyze the market. The reliable sources I mention follow a proper methodology that provide accurate results.

I can make a poll on twitter or track what the store that is next to my home sells, but that doesn't represents a shit compared nation/region/global wide real sales.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be too surprising as xbox does perform well in the US in November and December. I still expect PS5 to take November though because of ragnarok. Xbox won't be far behind though.

Only for sales on that day then? I wonder if its possible to win black Friday but then lose the month.

That's happened more than a few times in previous years TBH. There were years where 360 won BF but lost November to the Wii, for example.

In general, Salesforce seems pretty reliable. They're one of the top CRM companies globally and work with a ton of Fortune 500 companies. TBF, though, it seems like these reports are for online sales, and systems like PS5 in particular have invite and query lists for a lot of retailers, or where you can only place in an order via membership.

OTOH, the Series S is readily available online, with no queries or membership hurdles or invite lists to speak of. You can go on any top online retailer website, find a Series S, put it in your cart and purchase it any time of day, any day of the week. The Series X is somewhat similar, though less so, but if it was among the top-selling console for BF then MS probably did hold back Series X stock for that day/holiday event in particular.

I still don't see Xbox taking NPD for November though. Both PS5 and Switch had huge releases this month, with strong sales for the entirety of the month. There were also a lot of MW2 PS5 bundles for November outside of Thanksgiving & Black Friday. I'm still expecting the rankings to be either PS5 or Switch for #1 and #2 (slightly leaning Switch takes #1 and PS5 #2), and Xbox Series #3 in unit sales.

However, PS5 will likely take #1 by revenue, and it might be a toss-up between Switch and Series for #2 by revenue though I expect Switch to take that (Switch has not gone on steep sales or promo pricing to the level of Series S, if at all) and Xbox #3 in hardware revenue for the month as well.

In absolute terms though, all three should generate a ton of revenue for the month TBH.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Anyone talk about revenue yet? Lol

I think they are mixing sX and sS together but it’s still cool … I guess.

Top Bottom