• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2064: Read Only Memories PlayStation 4 & PlayStation Vita ports delayed indefinitely

Shizuka

We have made the unfortunate decision to indefinitely delay 2064 due to unforeseen circumstances that arose at the end of porting. :/

From their Twitter page.

Full story:

::2064readonlymems ‏@ROM2064 1h1 hour ago

We have made the unfortunate decision to indefinitely delay 2064 due to unforeseen circumstances that arose at the end of porting. :/

Indefinitely does not mean cancel, it means delay ;) It's a technical issue and complicated. The game is and has been done for a while! :O

Believe us, we would have wished for nothing else than to release our game on time and show you all the hard work we put it into this!!

Ultimately, the core team is not engineers or programmers, and we grossly underestimated one part of the porting process and that's our bad

And... we also don't have the money right now to do those things that need to get done, sooooo... we'll just wait until we do!

Or we figure something out. Which we will! But we also don't want to leave you hanging :/ We care about you too much

In non-technical speak, we tried to layer too much new stuff onto an already fragile foundation, including VO, JP localization, and blammo

So while we figure things out, we'd rather not just give you X date and then miss it be like oops and let you down

We always have prided ourselves on our work and doing what we say and saying what we mean and to miss our release date gutted us!

We want to make sure we get our next chance with you perfect *_*

Maybe there's something we can do to make up for this......

I suppose this could just be the charitable meaning of "indefinitely," as in "there is no definite timeline for a release but we are still planning one." But this sounds like the other, much more common meaning, "this is never coming out barring a miracle."

What the hell happened?

Ventara

I can't imagine why. It seems like a pretty straightforward kind of adventure game.

Wish they gave more details.

Me, too. Haven't they been working on this for months, with the release supposedly being next month? Crazy that such a big problem can occur that would make them almost 100% drop it.

Kyoufu

Certification issue? Legal issue? Something... issue?

Whatever the case, it's a bummer. I was looking forward to this.

I could understand canning it if it were just now starting to be ported over, but right at the end of the process? That had to have been pretty major if they're forced to make all that effort for nothing.

Clov

Delayed indefinitely? That sounds like there must be a pretty serious issue with the ports. It's disappointing, I was really looking forward to playing the Vita version.

Katori

That's very strange, I wonder what the issue is?

Maybe they were testing on a PC and the PS4 build didn't pan out? I can't possibly imagine how something like that might happen, but, shrug, indies.

Here's hoping they get it worked out.

Arttemis

::2064readonlymems ‏@ROM2064 1h1 hour ago

Indefinitely does not mean cancel, it means delay ;) It's a technical issue and complicated. The game is and has been done for a while! :O

Believe us, we would have wished for nothing else than to release our game on time and show you all the hard work we put it into this!!

Ultimately, the core team is not engineers or programmers, and we grossly underestimated one part of the porting process and that's our bad

And... we also don't have the money right now to do those things that need to get done, sooooo... we'll just wait until we do!

Or we figure something out. Which we will! But we also don't want to leave you hanging :/ We care about you too much

In non-technical speak, we tried to layer too much new stuff onto an already fragile foundation, including VO, JP localization, and blammo

So while we figure things out, we'd rather not just give you X date and then miss it be like oops and let you down

We always have prided ourselves on our work and doing what we say and saying what we mean and to miss our release date gutted us!

We want to make sure we get our next chance with you perfect *_*

Maybe there's something we can do to make up for this......

Ugh, I just saw one of the devs at Flamecon the other day and they told me this was still on schedule. Guess this means the PC update is delayed indefinitely as well, since Sony has a timed exclusive for that.

Ventara

Well, I'm glad it's not cancelled. Hope they get the help they need. I guess getting themselves a publisher would help.

MUnited83

For you.
A shame. One of the best games I played in 2015. It's a classic that should be played by as many people as possible. Sadly the Steam sales weren't great, and they went with the very weird decision of putting the game in a indie bundle like 1 month after release.

RedBoot

Ugh, was waiting for the PS4 version to play this. I was actually just looking for info on it the other day since I think it was originally scheduled for last week.

ZoronMaro

Dang both versions? It's probably not technical and more licencing or something legal related.

I hope this doesn't affect Vallhalla, those games were related in name only right?

Tagyhag

Like I said in the Giant Bomb thread, i'm surprised that the porting job is apparently that difficult, hope they get a publisher or work something out. The game is very cool.

Ugh, I just saw one of the devs at Flamecon the other day and they told me this was still on schedule. Guess this means the PC update is delayed indefinitely as well, since Sony has a timed exclusive for that.

Wait what. Can they do that?

Dang both versions? It's probably not technical and more licencing or something legal related.

I hope this doesn't affect Vallhalla, those games were related in name only right?

I don't think this and VA-11 are even related at all.

VA-11 is 100% 『 CYBERPUNK』, but everything I hear about ROM is that it's All Cyber No Punk.

The update actually makes me feel a little better about the delay. It was a lot scarier when it was mysterious. This is less so.

They seem to share a universe in the St. Elsewhere sense of the term, but are otherwise unrelated. Two different devs, and Sukeban is using another company (Wolfgame) to do their port of VA-11 Hall A, whereas I think ROM is in-house.

ZoronMaro

VA-11 is 100% 『 CYBERPUNK』, but everything I hear about ROM is that it's All Cyber No Punk.

Oh? that's fine then. I thought both games were supposed to be in the same universe, and I think both reference each other but I haven't played them since I was waiting on the ports. Maybe I misunderstood something. Either way I hope this doesn't affect Vallhalla, and I hope ROM eventually figures out it's issues.

The update actually makes me feel a little better about the delay. It was a lot scarier when it was mysterious. This is less so.

They seem to share a universe in the St. Elsewhere sense of the term, but are otherwise unrelated. Two different devs, and Sukeban is using another company (Wolfgame) to do their port of VA-11 Hall A, whereas I think ROM is in-house.

Thanks for the explanation.

Atomski

I imagine certification can screw a lot of low budget stuff. They probably low on cash failed cert and have to rewrite a bunch of code..

That's just a guess though.

smikey

Neo Member

Valhalla is done and available for sale on PC, if you're not specifically waiting on a Vita version. You can even buy it through itch.io and receive a steam key and a DRM free version.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

They're set in the same universe.

Shizuka

I think they could easily come up with a Kickstarter campaign to come up with the difference for the PlayStation ports, even if this game has already gone through a successful Kickstarter campaign once.

This is such a bummer, hopefully they can get everything figured out sooner rather than later. I've passed on the PC version to wait for the PS4/Vita version, I know the PC will get the voice acting/etc update after the PS4/Vita version comes out but wanted my first playthrough to have all the bells and whistles

wrowa

I own the PC version somewhere (gotta figure out where I bought it), but didn't play it yet because I wanted to wait for the port. Really unfortunate news.

Top Bottom