• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Coolade

They said late July for official 21:9 support. I'm not going to grab my pitchfork until it's announced that it's been implemented.

kanuuna

About that upcoming 21:9 support for Overwatch - it doesn't look pretty. This is from the PTR patch.

16:9 at FOV 103 said:
xTffJn3.jpg
21:9 at FOV 103 said:

Vert -, so essentially worse than what you'd get with hex editing in beta.

21:9 in beta with Hex edit said:
21:9 in July PTR patch said:

And here's a screenshot from Tracer's perspective with the Hex edit applied in the beta; note the first person model:
21:9 in beta with Hex edit said:

Bonus from PTR:

EDIT: I guess I was late on this one.

Aikidoka

I've been using the Dell 3440x1440 monitor for the past few weeks. Love it so far. 1440p definitely seems the best resolution to go with right now as you don't have to magnify everything to use it, My 4K laptop a worse, I think.

I only have a GTX 970, though. I can maintain locked 30 fps (for the most part) on High settings of the Witcher 3. I may upgrade to a 1080, but by the time they are in-stock, it could be only 4 months till the 1080ti.

Phyla

I recently purchased Acer's new XR342CK and compared it to its predecessor. Here's an imgur album for those interested.

Spoiler: the new model features a measly 48-75Hz FreeSync range.

Cels

Overwatch has 21:9 support on the PTR now, it seems.

EDIT :

As I feared. Instead of gaining image on the side, you lose image on the top and bottoms. Playing in 21:9 reduces your field of view.

16:9
screenshot_16-07-12_1mgyzw.jpg

screenshot_16-07-12_1knlk7.jpg

21:9
screenshot_16-07-12_1xraaw.jpg

screenshot_16-07-12_152yzi.jpg

It's not a minor drop in FOV either. You lose a significant portion of the image; almost up to 30% of it at the same FOV.

that's pretty shitty. so fake 21:9 support, then.

Lame. I mean, I am totally fine with the 16:9 on a 21:9 monitor. I've put a ton of hours into Overwatch and while I wish it had proper support, I'll live without it. I am definitely keeping things at 16:9 and will continue to hope maybe they'll improve it in the future.

Sophia

So it's still a competitive issue, huh? Why even add a fake 21:9 mode then? It's not fair to ultrawide monitor users to say you're adding something, then pull out the rug from under them like that. : \

According to a Battle.net forum poster, the 21:9 view on PTR is a whopping 36% loss of playing field. So not only are we not better off, but now we've got an option that could easily put someone unaware at a disadvantage.

Vitacat

Isn't it also "unfair" for some people to have faster PC's and be able to run at higher FPS and resolutions?

I don't even own a 21:9 monitor (or even a gaming PC yet... soon...), but that's a silly reason IMO.

SourBear

Banned
I recently purchased Acer's new XR342CK and compared it to its predecessor. Here's an imgur album for those interested.

Spoiler: the new model features a measly 48-75Hz FreeSync range.

The LG 34UC88-B, which uses the same panel as this XR342CK I believe, also has a similar limited FreeSync range. However, it is possible to mod it using some software which extends the range to 35-75hz. Perhaps this same software can be used on the XR342CK?

Lucario

So when are they locking the game at 30FPS and imposing 100 ping for every player? I feel such a disadvantage when playing with integrated graphics on wifi. Discrete graphics cards and ethernet provide an unfair advantage.

Also, why is 144hz supported if 21:9 isn't? I've never seen a pro gamer on an ultrawide monitor, but 144hz offers a very real advantage for fast gameplay.

Water

No FOV higher than 103 in Overwatch to avoid "competitive advantage"? If horizontal FOV scaling with aspect ratio isn't a problem in CS:GO, then there is no way it would be a problem in Overwatch. From what I understand, the majority of CS pros actually play in 4:3 and stretch it to 16:9, voluntarily sacrificing FOV for somewhat wider targets to aim at.

FOV is a matter of personal preference and convenience, and the physically different setups people have (think 32" display at arm's length vs 15" laptop display at arm's length) factor in as well. I personally like more than 103 FOV even when playing Doom single player on a small 16:9 screen. Even if you insist on having a max horizontal FOV, why not at least allow a pretty big one like 130? 16:9 displays would still have the advantage of seeing more vertically (if you really want to crank the FOV up to max) but ultrawide screens wouldn't feel bad.

Disgustingly stupid decision from Blizzard. I almost bought the game already, but now I'm seriously reconsidering. And I don't even have a 21:9 display yet.

Plum

After all this bullshit with Overwatch I'm not even sure I want an Ultrawide anymore. I'm fine with a lack of support in older and smaller games, but Blizzard, perhaps the biggest PC developer out there, to basically say "fuck you" to 21:9 players is disheartening.

Phyla

The LG 34UC88-B, which uses the same panel as this XR342CK I believe, also has a similar limited FreeSync range. However, it is possible to mod it using some software which extends the range to 35-75hz. Perhaps this same software can be used on the XR342CK?

An AMD represenatative just stated here that the XR342CK isn't a FreeSync monitor at all. Instead, it supports Adaptive Sync, DP's integrated sync solution. This is pretty weird.

Flandy

How should I go about calibrating my samsung s34e790c? I sit next to a window so I'm almost always under different lighting conditions. I'm not gonna buy a hardware calibration tool since I'm not a professional or anything. Is there some software or something that lets me get a good enough calibration?

Young Magus

So Yo,

Im coming from a HDTV and I want a monitor for PC/Consule gaming. Mainly play fighting games so input lag is a huge factor. I also want to completely get rid of my HDTV and only use a monitor.

Is there an 21:9 monitor with low enough input lag that makes it good for fighting games or should I stick with a standard gaming monitor or keep my HDTV?

Plum

So Yo,

Im coming from a HDTV and I want a monitor for PC/Consule gaming. Mainly play fighting games so input lag is a huge factor. I also want to completely get rid of my HDTV and only use a monitor.

Is there an 21:9 monitor with low enough input lag that makes it good for fighting games or should I stick with a standard gaming monitor or keep my HDTV?

For fighting games Ultrawides hold no benefit since, from what I've seen, none of them actually support it. If they're your main genre then I'd say you're better of finding a 16:9 monitor with the lowest input lag possible, TN's the easiest route if you're not that fussed with colour accuracy.

robgrab

Loving my X34 so far. It's MUCH bigger than my old LG 29" 21:9 monitor. G-sync is awesome too! The OSD and stand are the only things awful about it. I went down to my local Frys and bought a wall mount for it so that solved the stand problem. While I was there I wandered over to the graphics card section and bought an ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 to help power the extra pixels so now I'm set. I got the card for $650 when the cheapest I could find it on Amazon was $800.

Plum

K0QGrTi.png

These two arrived in the mail yesterday (along with new RAM and the mouse+mousepad included with the 980 ti). After a day of playing games and watching movies with it I'm not sure I could EVER go back to 16:9 as my exclusive monitor. It's amazing. Bought Rise of the Tomb Raider with it and it's really a great experience. I know it's not an Acer x34 and 1080 but as I've never known better than 1080p/60 this upgrade is perfectly fine by me.

Now I'm just hoping that No Man's Sky supports 21:9, and that Blizzard finally listens and adds proper support to Overwatch.

(It's a 6GB 980 ti, Speccy's just bugged)

Remmy2112

After all this bullshit with Overwatch I'm not even sure I want an Ultrawide anymore. I'm fine with a lack of support in older and smaller games, but Blizzard, perhaps the biggest PC developer out there, to basically say "fuck you" to 21:9 players is disheartening.

They claim that it is to prevent cases of haves and have nots, in terms of an advantage in gaming. I believe this policy first reared its head in Starcraft 2, where the extra screen real estate could provide an advantage to players on such a monitor and continues into Overwatch.

Now personally I find this to be a frankly silly notion in a shooter. They want their esports cake, same as they had with Starcraft 2, and damned if those "hardcore" people would not bitch if someone had a mechanical and not a skill-based advantage. So the haves in this case suffer.

Plum

They claim that it is to prevent cases of haves and have nots, in terms of an advantage in gaming. I believe this policy first reared its head in Starcraft 2, where the extra screen real estate could provide an advantage to players on such a monitor and continues into Overwatch.

Now personally I find this to be a frankly silly notion in a shooter. They want their esports cake, same as they had with Starcraft 2, and damned if those "hardcore" people would not bitch if someone had a mechanical and not a skill-based advantage. So the haves in this case suffer.

As you can see above I bought one in the end :)

And yeah, to ban 21:9 because of some potential advantage whilst ALSO allowing 144hz and Surround Headphone support is sheer hypocrisy. I'd say this is Blizzard wanting to have their "no advantage" cake and eat it too whilst being on PC.

zoobzone

Just upgraded from XB271HU to X34.

What are some good games to enjoy the wider FOV?

I was gonna try SC2 but seems like thats another Blizz game that doesn't support 21:9, and also cinematics in WoW looks squashed but still has the side black borders :(

desu

Anyone rocking a 1070 with a 3440x1440 setup? Can this hit 60fps easy or would a 1080 be more sufficient?

Mostly depends on what settings you want to play, I think mostly you will be fine but for some games you might need dial something down if 60fps is the most important to you.

I had no problems with my 1070 for this resolution and 60fps so far, but I've also not played the most demanding the games (BF4, Forza Apex, Battlefront).

MANGOD

Banned
Mostly depends on what settings you want to play, I think mostly you will be fine but for some games you might need dial something down if 60fps is the most important to you.

I had no problems with my 1070 for this resolution and 60fps so far, but I've also not played the most demanding the games (BF4, Forza Apex, Battlefront).
Cheers for the input. Bf4 and battlefront impressions would be nice if theres any. Its only after seeing the BF1 gameplay thats really tickled my fancy for a widescreen setup. Doesn't have to be all on ultra but 60fps is a mimimun Id be looking for

K0QGrTi.png

These two arrived in the mail yesterday (along with new RAM and the mouse+mousepad included with the 980 ti). After a day of playing games and watching movies with it I'm not sure I could EVER go back to 16:9 as my exclusive monitor. It's amazing. Bought Rise of the Tomb Raider with it and it's really a great experience. I know it's not an Acer x34 and 1080 but as I've never known better than 1080p/60 this upgrade is perfectly fine by me.

Now I'm just hoping that No Man's Sky supports 21:9, and that Blizzard finally listens and adds proper support to Overwatch.

(It's a 6GB 980 ti, Speccy's just bugged)
Aren't all LG 2560X1080 panels 75Hz? Go into your GPU/display settings and see if you can increase that. Mine was 60Hz originally but all I had to do with increase the Hz in the GPU settings and have been at 75Hz ever since.

It's a noticeable increase.

Plum

Can confirm that EDF 4.1 doesn't work with 21:9 unless you want the game stretched to fit your monitor. Shame, but it's a first-time port so I wouldn't complain too much. Just hope it gets fixed soon.

Plum

Aren't all LG 2560X1080 panels 75Hz? Go into your GPU/display settings and see if you can increase that. Mine was 60Hz originally but all I had to do with increase the Hz in the GPU settings and have been at 75Hz ever since.

It's a noticeable increase.

If I remember you do need a Display Port 1.2 cable for it, which I currently don't have. Might order one off Amazon then if it's as significant an increase as you say it is.

EDIT: And ordered.

If I remember you do need a Display Port 1.2 cable for it, which I currently don't have. Might order one off Amazon then if it's as significant an increase as you say it is.

EDIT: And ordered.

It's a 25% increase in fps. 60 to 75 is more noticeable than 100 to 120 because the lower the base framerate, the more noticeable each frame appears. 45 to 60 is the same increase and is even more noticeable than 60 to 75 or 100 to 120(5 extra frames increased over the other two) for example.

I personally think it's worth it.

Top Bottom