• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

If you up the FOV Doom looks weird. Download the flawless widescreen fix. It gives a slider to fine tune the FOV for Ultrawide displays.

Shotterke

I got my Dell u3415w today and holy shit this is awesome. I'm not seeing any backlight bleeding while playing The Witcher 3 in dark areas so far but I'm gonna test it later tonight when it's really dark. My SLI GTX970 also seem to be running my games just fine so I'm so happy.

Call Amazon up and see if they can price match the difference.

Well is new, I just checked their price matching policy and it's only for 'eligible' TVs now. I can remember when they'd match just about anything. I really like the monitor but I kind of wish I waited now.

Can you run 3 of these together?

Why not? Problem is, finding a graphics card powerful enough to power three ultrawides adequately.

Personally, I cant stand bezels in multi monitor setups for gaming, destroys immersion. I held off ultrawide screen gaming until these types of monitors are a reality.

outsidah

The X34 is very tempting but the deal breaker for me is the limited inputs. 1 DP and 1 HDMI is just not going to cut it. I need to swap between work and play and from what I gather, the HDMI port won't go over 1080 when the monitor is overlocked, so even if I tried to use the HDMI port for work I'd be stuck with a lower resolution.

Anyone know if this is a fact? I'm gathering the above from another forum post.

Great find!

Well is new, I just checked their price matching policy and it's only for 'eligible' TVs now. I can remember when they'd match just about anything. I really like the monitor but I kind of wish I waited now.

They don't officially price match other things, but if you contact CS and being that's it's one week (and you could return the Amazon one) they should help you out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know about the x34 specifically but you should be able to drive a 34" 3440x1440 at 30Hz over HDMI - my AOC does

No good for gaming but should be enough for office work

outsidah

I don't know about the x34 specifically but you should be able to drive a 34" 3440x1440 at 30Hz over HDMI - my AOC does

No good for gaming but should be enough for office work

From what I read on the other forum post, it was due to the the DP port being OC'd so the HDMI port defaulted back to a lower res since it wasn't able to go past 60. I'd be fine with 30 for work but would rather not have to buy it just to end up returning if it doesn't work.

Overwatch 21:9 patch needs to hit already :(

Agreed!

Plum

Just found the Acer XR341CK for £550. Is it worth the extra £80 over the LG 34UM95? I won't be using Freesync any time soon and the 75hz does seem like it might cause some issues if I'm unable to reach 75fps so the biggest benefit to me would be the curve.

And another question, how bad does 2560x1080 look on a 1440p Ultrawide? Until I get my 1080 when prices and demand level out I'll have to go with that red since my poor 970 just won't cut 3440x1440.

Soroc

Anyone get Life is Strange working in 21:9? I tried using flawless widescreen with no results and I used wsgf hex edit fix. The hex edit fix got the fov looking good and full screen but the interaction (how far you can move the cursor after focusing) doesn't seem to reach the items I need to click on.

Sciz

lg is working on a 34'' 3440 panel that goes up to 144hz

drooool

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#lg.display_144hz

Also a 200hz VA panel from AU Optronics.

Curved VA panels with up to 200Hz refresh rate - these are planned in various sizes, offering curved formats (1800R curvature) and VA panel technology.

Going in to production in June/July is the largest size, which is a 35" 21:9 aspect ratio panel with 3440 x 1440 resolution. This will have options for a 100Hz (M350QVR01.0) and 200Hz refresh rate (M350QVR01.1) apparently.

Glad to see newer DP standards finally taking hold now that there's GPU support.

I'm scared that they'll limit the FoV so that we don't have an "unfair advantage" or something.

Hope that doesn't happen :(

That would be dumb, because the same argument can be made for other resolutions as well. If they do that, I'll probably be up in arms about it for some time.

GKB

My current monitor is dying, thinking of getting a 21:9 monitor, however due to budget limitation, i can only buy the LG 25UM57.

Is it worth getting a 25" 21:9? Or should i just stick with 16:9?

longdi

Banned
Is there going to be a 40" or bigger ultrawide?
Because 34" is way too short for everything else besides games imo

My current monitor is dying, thinking of getting a 21:9 monitor, however due to budget limitation, i can only buy the LG 25UM57.

Depends on your current 16:9 hight.
I kept the same physical screen hight, but went wider with my LG 29. Same hight as my dell 23" 16:9 iirc.

Check displaywars for a size comparison to see if you can cope with hight a 25" 21:9 gives you.

jediyoshi

Same. Never bothered me.

Slippery slope, stretched 4:3 and 30fps doesn't bother many people either. The difference here is that if your only point of reference for how the weapon models should look was them being stretched in 21:9, then that's just how they'll have always looked to you.

Sciz

It's the model I took a chance on as my entry level ultrawide experience, and subsequently the model that made me a believer in the format, even if it is a bit short and doesn't have any of the modern bells and whistles you see on higher end monitors. It'll serve you well.

Calmine

Hi folks. I've been using a 980 for a while with my Dell u34 and I keep finding myself dropping to 2560x1080 and not take advantage of the full 3440x1440 display.

So I want to get a new GPU and wondered if it's worth getting a GTX 1070? I know the 1080 is the best but I can't stretch that far. Thanks.

PFD

Hi folks. I've been using a 980 for a while with my Dell u34 and I keep finding myself dropping to 2560x1080 and not take advantage of the full 3440x1440 display.

So I want to get a new GPU and wondered if it's worth getting a GTX 1070? I know the 1080 is the best but I can't stretch that far. Thanks.

That's the primary reason I want G-Syc if I go 3440x1440, in case my 980Ti can't keep up with the res.

Sophia

Overwatch has 21:9 support on the PTR now, it seems.

EDIT :

As I feared. Instead of gaining image on the side, you lose image on the top and bottoms. Playing in 21:9 reduces your field of view.

16:9

screenshot_16-07-12_1mgyzw.jpg
screenshot_16-07-12_1knlk7.jpg
21:9

It's not a minor drop in FOV either. You lose a significant portion of the image; almost up to 30% of it at the same FOV.

If it stays that way.... I'm not touching it. I was pretty excited about the 21:9 support announcement, but look at that. They fucked it up.

Here's to hoping they wise up and fix it.

Lucario

Yeah, Blizzard, that's not 21:9 support. It was already possible to crop the image ourselves; people didn't do it because it made the game look like garbage.

Flandy

Overwatch has 21:9 support on the PTR now, it seems.

EDIT :

As I feared. Instead of gaining image on the side, you lose image on the top and bottoms. Playing in 21:9 reduces your field of view.

16:9

21:9

It's not a minor drop in FOV either. You lose a significant portion of the image; almost up to 30% of it at the same FOV.

Are you fucking serious -_-

This is insulting. I'd rather continue playing the game with pillarboxing than this shit

Lucario

Posted a bug report..... Hopefully this is just a bug, and they aren't still in the "bigger monitors are unbalanced" mindset.

Sophia

The main menu is proper 21:9, at any rate...

When I use the ingame screenshot tool and save an image using the 21:9 setting, I get images that come out as 2560x1072.

But when I use the 16:9 option, I get proper 1920x1080 images (even when using my native 2560x1080 resolution)

I wonder what's going on here. The image quality in game definitely seems to suffer beyond just vertical FOV reduction. I had to recheck my settings just to make sure something wasn't off.

EDIT: Oh, the PTR had me set at 75% of the image resolution. Bleeeh.

Still, the in game screenshots save at the respective resolutions even with it set to normal. Weird.

Either way, Blizzard didn't implement this properly. It's very unfortunate that the vertical FOV is reduced.

Plum

Getting a 1070 and 29 inch 1080p monitor by the end of the week. I haven't even used 21:9 yet and in disappointed with OW's support. Though the benefits of Ultrawide as a whole should override that one issue hopefully.

Top Bottom