• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Legacy |OT| Designated Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
Drinking game:
Damn it 1 shot
Guess the mole 1 bottle
Hacking 1 beer

(Feel free to add)

"I don't do that anymore" (said with Joey smell the fart acting)

"That was a long time ago" (same)

"Dammit"

"The way CTU used to be run...Shit like that could NEVER happen now" (shit happening immediately intensifies)

"There's a guy I used to work with / know who can help" (guy is already dead / shot within minutes of being sought out with cryptic location of next macguffin as dying words)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Reviews have been terrible, but I'll watch the first couple episodes at least.

Huh? The reviews haven't been terrible. They've been about average overall, with a number of them saying it's "more of the same," which is fine with me.

Searching "24 legacy review" brings up IGN giving it a 7.0, TV Guide saying it's "formulaic fun," and stuff like that. Certainly not terrible.

(And one of the reviews I read was acting as if Live Another Day was poor and I would put that as one of the best seasons personally.)

I only watched 24 for Jack and Chloe (and Elisha Cuthbert cause I was a teenager when the show first aired). This is basically a 100% different show to me now, and I cannot get excited for it.

:/

Line_HTX

At last, I can subscribe to a 24 thread. I really regret not being a member of this forum when Day 9: Live Another Day was happening and everyone was losing their minds over Lady Stark and the 5th floor, ROFL

How is this show gonna work? The black guy always dies first

pls don't ban me

It's better this way. 24 episodes is too many and they have to stretch out the season with dumb filler, a fake villain to start with, a mole in CTU, then the last third of the season we get the final villain reveal. Less episodes means they can cut out a lot of the junk.

Brah, the main character is the exception!

And yeah, you're right. It's one of the biggest reasons why Live Another Day was so good because they did their stuff in half the time instead of a dumb red herring villain. I haven't finished Days 7 and 8 but man, Day 6 really put a huge damper in my enthusiasm.

liquidtmd

Banned
I only watched 24 for Jack and Chloe (and Elisha Cuthbert cause I was a teenager when the show first aired). This is basically a 100% different show to me now, and I cannot get excited for it.
:/

Even in the depths of Season 2 subplot hell, a teenage viewers pain was eased

kim-bauer%2Bday%2B2.jpg

I was always a Naked Mandy man myself...

latest

And as base as that is, it was bloody effective and something Legacy could do well to remember. The simplicity of a mystery...A hot lady shagging a man in a toilet, then blowing up the plane, parachuting to earth and then riding off. That gets your attention more than any meeting room briefing telling the viewer implicitly what's going on could ever do

At last, I can subscribe to a 24 thread. I really regret not being a member of this forum when Day 9: Live Another Day was happening and everyone was losing their minds over Lady Stark and the 5th floor, ROFL

Brah, the main character is the exception!

And yeah, you're right. It's one of the biggest reasons why Live Another Day was so good because they did their stuff in half the time instead of a dumb red herring villain. I haven't finished Days 7 and 8 but man, Day 6 really put a huge damper in my enthusiasm.

Day 6 is definitely the worst. Seven isn't great, and eight has many flaws but the final few hours are quite great. Live Another Day was very enjoyable (especially the multiple defenestrations).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Which one was Day 6? Was that the season that had Jack's family heavily involved in the plot? Yeah, in hindsight that was a really terrible season. The reveal of his brother was cool, but beyond that it became ridiculous, even by 24 standards.

liquidtmd

Banned
Which one was Day 6? Was that the season that had Jack's family heavily involved in the plot? Yeah, in hindsight that was a really terrible season. The reveal of his brother was cool, but beyond that it became ridiculous, even by 24 standards.

The first four episodes weren't bad. Jack was back and looked bad. But after they
had the nuke go off and also had him kill Curtis
I felt almost a desperation of them throwing shit at the screen to see what would stick almost on the fly.

The Chloe - Morris stuff during the series just couldn't hold the weight that was being placed on it and the whole Bauer family element was botched after an interesting-ish Bluetooth group subplot in series 5.

liquidtmd

Banned
Day 6 > Day 4

Fight me

It's ok, I understand. I get things wrong all the time.

Seriously. Season 4. Jack takes on a fucking whole compound of guys to save Heller. Palmers in it. Logan gets introduced and has a great run in it. The Chinese Embassy thing is great. Audrey isn't annoying. Tony and Michelle are in it. A good EMP subplot and decent firefight after. An element of almost finality and closure with the ending.

Season 6 has...?

I was so happy 24 finally ended so my completionist self could stop watching. Why do they have to bring it back, why oh why. Season 5 was an amazing peak....I still haven't watched 9.

I'll be watching this for the new characters. I loved 24 but I lost a lot of interest in the show after season 5. The only full season that I watched after 5 was "Live Another Day."

this_guy

Will they top the "that's Jack Bauer! He's coming for me!! D: " moment?

what's the thread title reference?

Keifer Sutherland is now on the show Designated Survivor where he becomes President because the President and everyone else in line of succession were killed in a terrorist attack.

liquidtmd

Banned
Will they top the "that's Jack Bauer! He's coming for me!! D: " moment?

The answer is: "Nothing. Nothing ever will top that. Realism and groundedness be damned, that was such a goddamn shit eating grin satisfying moment if you'd been with the show throughout its run"

Also, Itzin delivered this exchange so perfectly he nailed it

President Taylor: "Then we will lock him away in a black site, half-way around the world".

Charles Logan: "He will fiiiiind a way, Madam President. Mark my words, he will rise UP [out] of the deepest hole in the ground. He will clawwwww his way back from the ends of the earth....unless we stop him before that can happen.

Chris R

Wish the first episode aired on Monday too, trying to set a DVR recording for the episode tonight is basically impossible.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Day 6 is definitely the worst. Seven isn't great, and eight has many flaws but the final few hours are quite great. Live Another Day was very enjoyable (especially the multiple defenestrations).

Totally disagree! The D.C. setting and return of Tony breathed new life into the show after what most people consider to be the worst season of the entire series and the show was delayed for a year due to the writer's strike.

For me, the top seasons of 24 are 5, 7, 1 and 9.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Day 6 > Day 4

Fight me

Season 4 is a solid enough season of television but definitely near the bottom for me. Season 6 took what was teased as something amazing near the end of season 5 -- this shadowy high tech group that was possibly behind absolutely everything (I believe GAF referred to them as the "Bluetooth Mafia" back in the day) -- and ruined it with the bad family plot.

The first four episodes were fantastic though, I'll give it that.

If I had to rank the series, I would say:

5 > 7 > 1 > 9 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 4 > 6

Honestly, I do need to rewatch seasons 2 and 3 again. They might be higher (or lower) upon a rewatch. Season 8 is unique in that the first half was quite poor but the second half is one of the best stretches in the series.

Vally

Second half of 8 > 5

Seriously, it's a shame that many people probably gave up on the season early and missed out on that stretch of episodes... the way that everything escalates and things get out of control once Logan is involved is just amazing

ZeoVGM

Banned
Haha, I love how the gulf in quality between the first and second halves of season 8 is so large that people need to rank them separately.

If I had to rank the series, I would say:

5 > 7 > 1 > 9 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 4 > 6.

My ranking always used to change every season (and I don't just mean adding a new season into the mix, I mean I'd have season 2 as my top season... then I'd revert back to season 1 each time additional seasons came out).

If I had to rank them now (which is hard to do, as 24 is my favorite show of all time). The only thing that never changes is season 6 being the worst season, it's just boring as hell.

2 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 9 > 7 > 8 > 6.

As I've mentioned in other 24 themed threads on here, I used to refer to the clumps of seasons as trilogies (eg: 1-3 had a certain style, 4-6 had another style, 7-9 had another style... which almost ventured into parody status lol). I love season 4 as it was a rebirth for the show - yes it gradually became a lot more actiony MacGyver/James Bond style, but it was awesome. Still think season 4 would have been the perfect send off for the show (favorite characters being alive and the ending was awesome).

Second half of 8 > 5

Seriously, it's a shame that many people probably gave up on the season early and missed out on that stretch of episodes... the way that everything escalates and things get out of control once Logan is involved is just amazing

Plus Jack doing a solo assault on the motorcade will never not be pretty badass. Especially with Logan trembling and going "Tha-that's Jack Bauer!".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Probably gonna watch even sans Bauer. 24 is fun dumb entertainment.

Please no mole, please no mole, please no mole
especially not Miranda Otto plz

The title of this OT is pure gold...

Can't wait for this show to start - been hyped since it was first announced. 24 was fantastic (especially midway through), and hopefully they'll be able to do the original justice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom