• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$25 gift card offer from Microsoft Store - Oct 16th-18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

n64coder

Just got this email from the Microsoft Store today. Apparently you can get a $25 gift card if you stop in the store from Oct 16th-18th and get 3 free apps to increase your productivity on your smart phone. Not sure what the apps are. Here's the offer:

jaiaAn7.png

It's probably MS Office, Bing and something else? Anyone else get this?

n64coder

Is there a link in the email? It'd be great if it were in the OP.

Yes, there's a link but it seems to be a targeted link. I'm trying to find a generic link without any of my identifying information but haven't had any luck. The offer does not appear to be a targeted offer from reading the wording and conditions. I'll see if I can find a direct link to the promotion.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
anyone can get $25? sounds weird.
It's not unprecedented. A few years back, you could go to the store at any time of day, take the "Bing challenge" thing on any of their computers and they'd give you a $25 coupon.

n64coder

So all the apps on their Window's App store?

The ad shows Android/iOS/Windows so I think it applies to any phone. Microsoft is trying to push the Software as a Service angle that they have something for everyone.

I called the store but they didn't know of the promotion but the person who would won't be in until tomorrow. They gave me his email address so I sent him a note asking for more details on the promotion.

I'm interested in the 950 XL so it'll be a good opportunity to check it out and get a $25 gift card to boot.

Just went the Microsoft store at the Walt Whitman Mall on Long Island and had no difficulty getting the gift card. They had me install Office, OneDrive and Skype, and said installation had to happen in store. So ymmv on pre-installing.

edit: I didn't see any of the new hardware in store, but I did not ask.

edit: my phone is an HTC One (M8) android device

n64coder

Just went the Microsoft store at the Walt Whitman Mall on Long Island and had no difficulty getting the gift card. They had me install Office, OneDrive and Skype, and said installation had to happen in store.

Thanks for checking it out. I haven't gone to the store yet since I'm WFH. I plan to bring my kids along so we all get a gift card.

I went to the Microsoft Store near me (in Bellevue, WA) and they hadn't heard of the deal. Maybe it's only in participating stores or they hadn't gotten the memo yet.

xillyriax

Just went the Microsoft store at the Walt Whitman Mall on Long Island and had no difficulty getting the gift card. They had me install Office, OneDrive and Skype, and said installation had to happen in store. So ymmv on pre-installing.

edit: I didn't see any of the new hardware in store, but I did not ask.

edit: my phone is an HTC One (M8) android device
physical giftcard or some code to be used online?

n64coder

Any way to apply this to a digital purchase?

Just got my card. The clerk showed me a list that had something like 60 or 70 apps on it. I told him that I already had alot of those apps on my phone already so could I skip it. No, I had to choose three. So I did two and then he said that's good enough. You go to the register and input your email address. If you are not already in the system, then I guess you need to fill out a customer profile. Probably name, email and maybe phone?

The card is for the store but you can use it to buy Windows site credit with it.

Syriel

Any way to apply this to a digital purchase?

Microsoft Store sells Xbox Store gift cards (works on XBLM, Win 8/10 App Store, Groove Music) as well as Steam gift cards.

Pick up your store card and then use it to buy one of the other GCs if you want to make a digital purchase.

Or just hang onto it and use it come Black Friday. According to the terms on the GC, the value never expires. It looks like a normal GC and not a promotional one with a limited time to use it.

If you have a MS store near you, you'd be silly not to pick one up.

xillyriax

Just got mine. I had to ask for the promo since there wasn't any signage but they did mention that it ends tomorrow, 10/18

Freiya

Was told this was for a promotion for preordering phones. They did not give me one.

That's why you bring a picture of the deal! I made sure I had a copy on my phone just in case they acted weird. The guy on the phone actually told us it was only a 1 day promotion. I went on the 2nd day and brought a picture just in case. Thankfully I had no need to use it.

The only Microsoft Store near me is an hour and a half drive away, and they close on Sunday.

Shame, no free Halo 5 for me. :( Could have brought my Mother and Father for an extra $50.

Keri

Microsoft Store sells Xbox Store gift cards (works on XBLM, Win 8/10 App Store, Groove Music) as well as Steam gift cards.

Pick up your store card and then use it to buy one of the other GCs if you want to make a digital purchase.

This is what my husband did. We went last night and combined our gift cards for a $50.00 XBOX Store gift card.

Syriel

Can you use the xbox store card on the microsoft store site?

No. The Microsoft Store website is a separate system, run by Digital River, IIRC. It does not share a back end with the Xbox Store, which is run by MS.

You can use the Microsoft Store GC for physical items at a physical store. It cannot be used online at all.

You can use the Xbox Store GC for digital items on XBLM, Microsoft Movies and TV, Groove Music or Windows Store (all of these are interchangeable).

You can use a Microsoft Store GC to purchase an Xbox Store GC, but you cannot do the reverse.

CSX

Waiting for a couple more family members to get theirs and Forza 6 will be mine :D
Just realized if ya get enough buddies + family, its a free full set of Rock Band 4 :p

Kovaelin

I wasn't able to get one at the Eaton Centre in Toronto. It's a shame they don't have the 950/950X to demo either. Apparently, they've been recalled for further testing.

A little off topic, but has anyone been using the Windows 10 preview on a 635? I'm wondering if it's stable enough to use on my main (only) phone. Thanks.

kvothe

MS store is offering a $10 gift card if you preorder Halo 5 from them. So, using this gift card+$10, you could get Halo 5 for $25 on day one?

Also offering it for Gears of War 4 and Forza 6.

Freiya

No. The Microsoft Store website is a separate system, run by Digital River, IIRC. It does not share a back end with the Xbox Store, which is run by MS.

You can use the Microsoft Store GC for physical items at a physical store. It cannot be used online at all.

You can use the Xbox Store GC for digital items on XBLM, Microsoft Movies and TV, Groove Music or Windows Store (all of these are interchangeable).

You can use a Microsoft Store GC to purchase an Xbox Store GC, but you cannot do the reverse.

Thanks!

I ended up going back to the same Microsoft store today and getting 2 more cards for a total of 100$ I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom