• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25% of Players Have Beaten God of War Ragnarok, Two Weeks After Release

Damn people play games like crazy, I've played 18 hours and it feels like a lot for me, no where near finished. But I have a wife and three kids... at most I'm looking at an hour to maybe an hour and a half each night. This is even with a couple weekend days where my wife said "I'll take the kids to my moms so you can have some God of War time" (bless her) and dumping in a three hour session.

Probably will drop overtime buts thats really good
Horizon Forbidden West's trophy for ending the game has 32.4%. And this is from an open world game that takes around 40 to 50 hours just to complete the main story andheavily included in bundles.

The % for God of War is increasing over time for now, not decreasing.

A week ago the Platinum trophy was at 1.4% Right now is at 4.4% which is huge for a game that's been out for 2 weeks.

that's not good? lol

i get not everyone has the free time to play it for hours on end every day but this game was being hyped up to being the greatest video game ever made. if it was that good, and even if you didn't have much free time, then 2 weeks is enough. it's averaging about 24 hours if you focus on the main story and 50 if you try get everything. it's not like it's a big lengthy game. you're talking about 1.5 to 3 hours every day since launch or playing 6-12 hours on the weekends.

i don't know... maybe it's just me but if i was insanely hyped about playing the greatest game in the world i'd have finished it the week it came out lol.

If it's a disc, then the answer is obvious - to sell the game and get most of the money back
yeah i've seen a lot of people defending physical discs because you can sell them.... but unless it's a nintendo game you gotta play that shit real fucking fast and sell it before the value drops.

Last edited:
Seems higher than I would think at this point based on the fact that only about 47% of players have finished the main story of God of War 2018.

I finish every game I buy 🤥
i used to do that too but i value my time more now. i'd play a game right to the end even if i wasn't enjoying it so i could at least feel like i didn't waste my money. yeah it sucks if i buy a game and don't feel i got my money's worth but if i'm not enjoying a game then i'll drop it. i don't have a lot of free time so i need to be selective of what i spend it on. if something sucks i'll move onto the next thing.

kapshin

Agree. The Sony first party formula is starting to wear on me. Ragnarok just seems meh.

Is that a common thought? I played the first two, not saying their bad games just not my thing personally. Hope others enjoy it though

Fredrik

Seems pretty damn high.

Probably a 30 hour game for most folks, so basically playing 2 hours a day since release. Surprising.
30 hours?? Lol that’s where I am and they’re still trying to learn me how to play, I’m guessing it’s at least a 60 hour game for most, longer for less experienced gamers, possibly slightly shorter for core gamers unless they aim for 100%.

Sentenza

Wow, thats a lot for a game like that.
From Software titles, despise their inflated reputation of being "impossibly hard and super-frustrating", have always delivered surprisingly high completion rates.
It's almost like being engaging enough to hold people's attention even in front of a moderate challenge helps gaining you a dedicate user base or something.

There are games on Steam where 30% of the owners barely bothered to launch the game ONCE and unlock the first achievement, while Dark Souls and company have usually 30%+ completion rate.

Last edited:
Must be all those lucky youths who have the free time to play. I would spend hours playing everyday when I was a kid and teenager. Would beat most games in under 2 weeks.

that's not good? lol

i get not everyone has the free time to play it for hours on end every day but this game was being hyped up to being the greatest video game ever made. if it was that good, and even if you didn't have much free time, then 2 weeks is enough. it's averaging about 24 hours if you focus on the main story and 50 if you try get everything. it's not like it's a big lengthy game. you're talking about 1.5 to 3 hours every day since launch or playing 6-12 hours on the weekends.

Lol yeah that's a "tell me you don't have any responsibilities without telling me you don't have any responsibilities"

And also sounds like a young person too. 6-12 hours playing a game in a day? One time I got to play three hours and I was all stiff and sore and starting to get a headache. Had to go do something else the rest of the day.

Chronicle

A lot of people buy these games because of marketing hype and never finish them. The more copies they sell, the lower the trophy percentages tend to be.
No. Most buy games to play them. Why do you need to finish the game? Where is the proof of marketing hype?

The thing i love is people that complain games are too short and when you see completion rates for games like RDR2 or Assassins Creed being in the teens you realize most people don’t even ply more than 20 hours of a game.

Thats why CDPR said they went with a shorter mainline quest for Cyberpunk cause most people didn’t finish witcher 3’s main story (which was padded as hell) which is a shame

25% competition rate for a game this long is high even two years after release. It's amazing how few people finish the games they buy.

Aaron Olive

It’s not a race.. I’ve never understood why some people have to blast through a game quickly as possible. It’s a $70 game. Enjoy it.
I enjoyed all 69 hours of it, so technically my moneys worth.
eJQHr1X.jpg

6dCjzzD.png

R6Rider

Gold Member
Will probably finish it this next week. I think I'm around 30 hours in. No need to rush it for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me it took me around two weeks to beat and get platinum and I was also jumping between this game and Mario + Rabbits 2.

Last edited:
i don't know... maybe it's just me but if i was insanely hyped about playing the greatest game in the world i'd have finished it the week it came out lol.
I did that when FF VII came out! 56 hours in a few days! That was amazing.

Later I got roommates and we 100% did everything it, level up all characters to 99 (whatever is the top)... killed all these extra monsters from the wlakthrough guide!

I wish I had time now, but with the kids I get 1 hour or so per night, even on week-end as I try to take them outside.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm not surprised.
I'm playing this game at the moment and despite being long-ish for a non-RPG AAA single player experience, it has a very low amount of padding.
I have ~25h on this game over the course of 2 weeks and haven't felt the need to take a pause and do other stuff. Pretty much all my free time is being focused on this. That's really not usual for me.

hinch7

Bought it for £61 completed in 10 days, traded for £57....this is the way.
Yeah this is the way. What I do for most Sony first party titles.

Complete and move on.. unless its a MP or has MP features there's not much incentive for me to 100% everything. Don't care for trophies.

Barakov

Gold Member
That's pretty dang great. SSM made a game that a fourth of their buyers saw to the end. Most developers can't claim that. It seems like most people play games and then shelve them after a certain amount of time.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It’s not a race.. I’ve never understood why some people have to blast through a game quickly as possible. It’s a $70 game. Enjoy it.
If I didn’t read reviews which told me the side-missions were great, I’d have probably skipped them all.

I’m feeling like too many games are bloated these days, so I can relate to people who want to just blast through the main story.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I get like two hours a night if I'm lucky.
Give me a god damn chance 🤨

Last edited:
I am playing God of War on PC and the sequel on PS5 as well as lots of other games but I did finish the first game on PS4 Pro and have a New Game+ on PS5. I will finish Ragnarok for sure, it's awesome, but I am not in any rush too. Why do people have to finish games within two weeks of buying them anyway? It doesn't mean they don't like them.

Last edited:

JustN82

Neo Member
Im still 60 in trying to do the side quests which are long as hell but Im a fucking idiot for playing the game on Give Me God of War difficulty, cuz I just realized theres no trophy for it just like in the first...and the berseker fights are absolute dog shit especially when you have to fight 3 of them. The Musphelheim challenge is also tedious as hell. I kinda wasted a lot of time dying from 2 hits all the time so Im just kinda exhausted at this point with it. It doesnt help that its a huge ass DLC rather than something fresh, innovative. Guess Ill just rush end game and stop trying to do trophies for it. Story is barely going anywhere so whatever. Very overrated game, but its still an 8 for me.
Start | Settings | Gameplay - you can change the difficulty while in game.

drotahorror

That doesn't make sense. If I play a game for 50 hours I enjoyed it. I don't slog through games I don't enjoy just because I paid for them. Why does it matter how fast someone plays? Someone must have been really enjoying themselves to play it for 5+ hours a day, every day for a couple weeks.

Are you saying people should spread the game out over a month or two and only play for 30 minutes or 1 hour at a time lol? If I'm eating a good pizza, I don't eat it slowly and savior it. I scarf it down because it's so damn good.

Top Bottom