• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 Years Of Resident Evil

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil is 25 years old today, and to celebrate its undying life, here are 25 reasons to love the iconic survival horror franchise.

25 years ago today, Resident Evil clawed its way into the gaming medium, paving way for the survival-horror genre as we know it. Originally launching on the first PlayStation back in 1996, Resident Evil has since spawned 28 games, including critically acclaimed sequels like Resident Evil 4 and its renowned remakes.

Throughout its undying life, Resident Evil has introduced us to an iconic cast of characters like Leon S. Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Ada Wong, and, of course, the ever-charming Barry Burton. Since the franchise’s dawn, it reinvented itself and the horror genre, revolutionizing from fixed camera angles and tank controls, to an over-the-shoulder perspective in Resident Evil 4 that influenced games like Gears of War and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

To celebrate Resident Evil’s 25th anniversary, we’ve created a list of 25 reasons to love its undying place in games. From its masterfully orchestrated horror, like Mr. X’s first appearance or Jack Baker bursting through a wall in Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, to the more quirky, like its Japanese musical Biohazard: Voice of Gaia, and its, at times, very silly dialogue.

There’s a lot to love, and thankfully there’ll be more to love in the future with the release of Resident Evil: Village and the already fan-favorite lady Alcina Dimitrescu.

Ellery

Resident Evil means a lot to me. When I was young I had to convince my uncle to let me play the very first one on PS1 and it was stuff for nightmares. The haunting atmosphere of the mansion back in the day was perfect. There was nothing more scary than leaving the safety of a Save Room or running short on ammunition/ink ribbons. Sadly the franchise changed too much and could never reach the heights of the PS1 era again (for me at least).
RE4 brought in a lot of new gamers to the franchise and it saved Resident Evil. I think it is a good game, but it nearly killed the franchise for me being inspired by more action oriented games for the american market.

What would I give for CAPCOM to make the OG PS1 RE games available on PS5
What would I give for CAPCOM to complete the game we know as RE 1.5 Prototype.

Still looking forward to RE Village and whatever comes next and I think RE2 and RE3 Remake are great indicators of what Resident Evil could be in this modern age.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
RE was the game I bought my PlayStation with. One of my best decisions ever (just like buying PS2 with Code Veronica was one of the worst; lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place, indeed).

I loved that game to bits, and still prefer it to the much colder REmake to this day.
Few games changed gaming for me like Resident Evil. It was a totally different planet from my SNES games, something new and exciting. I don’t think I could have chosen a better game to jump into the 3D generation. And those dogs, those goddamn dogs...

I was so terrified of RE2 demo on PS1 that I couldn't play it or watch my friends play it.
I had an zombie fear for a long time because of that demo disc.

I believe I was 8 or 9 years old when I got it with OPM.

Astral Dog

Amazing series and one of a kind. iconic gameplay, enemies, characters, setting and music, always very cinematic yet it carries the ❤️ of a videogame within, 'realistic' yet embraces the siliness of its B movie premise(most of the time) here for 25 years of Resident Evil 🧟‍♂️🥂

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What I remember the most were the dogs jumping through the glass. I rented 1-3 a lot growing up for PS1. The first time I got to pre-order and purchase a RE on release was Code Veronica for Dreamcast. Resident Evil holds a special place in my heart next to Silent Hill. They’re two different worlds. I’ve always enjoyed a good RE, but I won’t always buy what they come out with. What they’re doing with Village is awesome. Especially giving us the free multiplayer game. I own the Remake on 4-5 platforms and RE4 I’ve probably hit 7-8 different platforms. It’s one series I would buy and replay for the rest of my life.

Ragnarok

I love all the Resident Evil games (mainline and Revelations). Definitely my favorite gaming series.

I miss the old style of gameplay with fixed camera angles and tank controls soooo much though. REmake 2 and 3 were great but I just want games that look like REmake and 0. Why can't we get a lower budget traditional RE games. There's gotta be more people out there like me

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From the downright terrible to decent-but-not-quite great, Resident Evil has seen the release of a few games over the years that have, to varying extents, failed to live up to expectations. In this feature, we're going to talk about the ones that stick out in memory the most.

My favorite gaming franchise of all time, hands down. It means a lot to me, and it's heartwarming to read posts here sharing similar sentiments.

From the downright terrible to decent-but-not-quite great, Resident Evil has seen the release of a few games over the years that have, to varying extents, failed to live up to expectations. In this feature, we're going to talk about the ones that stick out in memory the most.

No offense, dude, but I really have to say something here.

Your posting pattern is very... uhh... peculiar. I've only ever seen you spam social media posts (like wholesale; even the surrounding text is from the original social media post). I've never seen you post a thought of your own. I'm not hating, I just find that very... odd, is all.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
My favorite gaming franchise of all time, hands down. It means a lot to me, and it's heartwarming to read posts here sharing similar sentiments.

No offense, dude, but I really have to say something here.

Your posting pattern is very... uhh... peculiar. I've only ever seen you spam social media posts (like wholesale; even the surrounding text is from the original social media post). I've never seen you post a thought of your own. I'm not hating, I just find that very... odd, is all.

Isn't bad to share information of games no? Could be weird, but I think is not bad or harm to anyone.

I think that my opinion is not important at all. You have the news and the information/discussion in the videos/news I share and being objective and aseptic is important.

I hope you understand me a little more after this(y)

Last edited:

Isn't bad to share information of games no? Could be weird, but I think is not bad or harm to anyone.

I think that my opinion is not important at all. You have the news and the information/discussion in the videos/news I share and being objective and aseptic is important.

I hope you understand me a little more after this(y)
Actually, wrong... your opinion DOES matter.

You post a lot of good shit, so I'm curious as to what you yourself think about it all.

Again, I don't mean to be confrontational or insulting (and apologize if I come across as such; it's not my intention, at all), it's just that you are one of the more prolific/active posters here, and I just wanted to know your approach/philosophy to posting.

In any case, sorry for the derail, and let's carry on celebrating this milestone for one of the best video game franchises (well, in my opinion, the best video game franchise) out there. Thanks for creating the thread, dude :messenger_bicep:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here it is. The complete story of Resident Evil.

I remember when I was a kid in the year 98 I bought the platinum edition of RE 1 for PS1 before the purchase of the console. I spent days looking at the cover and imaging how I'll play it when I have the console.

And amazed of the intro of RE2 that looks like a movie...

Last edited:
Man, I feel old. I remember when I played RE1 and felt like I was in the future playing such a realistic and immersive video game.

It's still one of my favorite games ever and one of the few I replay on average once a year.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, I feel old. I remember when I played RE1 and felt like I was in the future playing such a realistic and immersive video game.

It's still one of my favorite games ever and one of the few I replay on average once a year.
Very nice.

I remember my first time too, such a blast. I still play through it too, at least once a month, it's kind of like meditation at this point, lol. A few years back OG RE 1 & 2 were the only games I played. Nothing else really grabbed my interest and they're just so damn fun, never got old to me. Short games too, it's why it's so easy to just play over and over.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil is one of the medium's seminal series, terrifying players for over two decades. But how has Capcom's tales of terror remained popular for so long? Today we're looking back at 25 years of Resident Evil to examine four of the most influential titles that helped define the iconic series. We hope you enjoy this Resident Evil video essay that speaks to the importance of Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 2, Village, and of course the original game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I really enjoyed the 3rd person camera in revelations largely due to her.

It's a real shame resident evil had gone first person going forwards.

dsjjcQX.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

My fist ps1 game was Resident Evil platinum edition and I bought the game a few days before the console and I remember being amazed with the cover of the game and counting the days to finally have the console. Those moments of my childhood that I never forget.

Why the bump? Promoting YouTuber??
Because I think is a good video for the anniversary that was not posted and could be entertained for some users who didn't watch the video yet.
And for the promotion if I get paid for every video I share I was already rich, so no.

Last edited:
Hot take: I actually quite enjoy the Alice RE films. They're mindless fun, kick-ass action/horror/sci-fi flicks. Would put them between Tank Girl and a bigger-budget SyFy original movie quality-wise.

At the very least they're entertaining and fun time-wasters. I would even say they're better than the recent Netflix film, for a variety of reasons.

Why the bump? Promoting YouTuber??

Eh, not the worst of a necrobump TBH. There's been like 2018 threads getting necro'd around here, that's wild.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Still remember first experiencing those well-timed jump scares in RE directors cut on PS1. The heartbeat in the dualshock, the cheesy dialog.

Great series.

Calverz

Hot take: I actually quite enjoy the Alice RE films. They're mindless fun, kick-ass action/horror/sci-fi flicks. Would put them between Tank Girl and a bigger-budget SyFy original movie quality-wise.

At the very least they're entertaining and fun time-wasters. I would even say they're better than the recent Netflix film, for a variety of reasons.

Eh, not the worst of a necrobump TBH. There's been like 2018 threads getting necro'd around here, that's wild.
I know. I was only asking. I came into thread thinking there was some announcement lol

Mr Hyde

One of my favorite franchises. Was a huge fanboy up until RE 5 when I started to soften a bit due to the games getting a bit repetitive. Still love everyone, even RE6. I own every installment in the mainline series. Only From Softwares Souls-games are more cherished. I still remember when I got OG Resident Evil on release day 1996. It was pure magic. Never seen anything like it. Groundbreaking game.
Here's hoping for another 25 years of this amazing franchise.
resident evil umbrella GIF

Last edited:

Valt7786

The amazing thing about this franchise is I never get tired of it. It's always fun to run around fighting zombies and various BIOHAZARD experiments. And I always want more.

Others have done their own takes on the genre and style with various levels of success. But in the end, nobody does it as good as Capcom.
This. I don't know what it is about the RE 2 remake but I can play that game over and over and not get bored of it. It just FEELS so good to play. I really hope they don't carry on in the Village style :/

mave198

RE2 is GOAT for me. Favorite game of all time.

RE4 and RE2 remake are right behind it. For all the faults the series has had it always has come back strong. Favorite game series by far.

Here's to another 25 years 🥂

Top Bottom