• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

250+ game developers, journalists, and media personalities make a list of the top 100 games of all time

Kilau

Gold Member
259 developers

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

journalists, and media personalities

the office GIF

Kokoloko85

Swop BOTW with OOT and Im ok with it.

Its not how I would do my list, but some of my top 20 are in in my top 20.

Bloodbore at 4…YES
MGS and Dark Souls in top 10… yes
TLOU top 10.. yes
OOT in top 10 yes.. ( even though its like 14 here)

Havent even looked at the rest of the list

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Swap BOTW with GTA 3.

GTA 3 was 10 times more important and influential. Was also a better game for its time.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Incidentally, here's my personal top 10 (which is obviously the only one that counts).
  1. Muv-Luv Alternative
  2. Microsoft Flight Simulator
  3. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  4. Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi
  5. Total War: Warhammer III
  6. Crusader Kings III
  7. Xenogears
  8. Cities: Skylines
  9. Sid Meier’s Civilization V
  10. X-COM: UFO Defense
Game journalists have no taste for Strategy, Tactical, Simulator, Deck Building, Visual Novel, Shoot em ups, and dozens of other genre, which is sad

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
With how many people they had to pull from to get this it’s actually a good list.

Love seeing Disco Elysium so high up .

bitbydeath

RDR2 doesn’t deserve a spot here but I can understand the rest. RDR1 would make more sense than RDR2, and even that is pushing it.

Crayon

Have people played Metal Gear Solid recently? Yes, it has a great story and creating voice acting but 90% of it can barely be considered a game. Just running from point to point to move the story with almost no challenge or interaction in-between.

I have played it lateley. The game is great as long as you are adaptable to old pre-standardized controls.

TheUsual

Gold Member
We're gonna need to start breaking down by decades. Gaming has been around for quite a while now and there's stuff that younger people will have never touched (and the same with older people as well).

93xfan

Banned
that’s a horrible list. It’s a good list of games in the last 10 years but not all time.
Yep. Mario 3 needs to be above World. It showed how to make the perfect sequel and it still is so unbelievably solid to this day. Happy to see Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, as well as Metal Gear Solid on that list.

Edit: just realized I skimmed over The Last of Us. 2nd best game ever? Not even close.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I just realized I skimmed over The Last of Us. 2nd best game ever? Not even close. Maybe if the gameplay was nearly as great/fun/replay able as the environments, atmosphere and story. It didn’t make it all the way through a second play through on the PS4.

Metal Gear Solid is a great example of amazing atmosphere and story followed up by addictive and highly replayable gameplay.

buenoblue

Tetris would be a shit mobile game these days.
Tetris was a phenomenon. Broke through the gaming circles and became mainstream with mum's and dads and non gamers talking about it. It probably made the Gameboy a success and help put gaming on the map. And to top it off it's still extremely playable today. I remember playing it on release as 13yo and played it that much I was seeing it in my sleep lol.

that’s a horrible list. It’s a good list of games in the last 10 years but not all time.
It confirms to me that this list will drastically change every 15-20 years, and every time that happens you’ll all feel much older.

When 2045-2050 hits, there may be only 5 games left from the 90s on the next list.

Edit: Also 10 years ago was 2013, not 2003.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

They say around the world, but isn't the voters list primarily just US and some EU? Also, I'm pretty sure I saw some who are just PR Managers, lol. Not to say they don't play games, but...Then there's the fact that I can feel a recency bias, but I guess that's why I don't put much stock in these.

kyussman

I don't think there is enough strength in the 'game' elements in TLoU to get it to no.2 in an all time list.I don't like it being so far above something like Dark Souls when that game has so much great gaming in it.I know narrative is a huge part of modern gaming but it still feels off to me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
13 games of the top 20 are playable on the nintendo switch.

Goat handheld confirmed

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
There is no way The Last of Us is better than Witcher 3 or Bloodborne, I am sorry but The Last of Us is barely a game which is why it works so well as a TV Show.

Also 2 Zelda games and 3 FromSoftware games in the top 20, pretty good to be honest.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

GTA 3 at NUMBER 61 :|

Inarguably the most important game of the past 20 years.
Don't much care for the GTA series, but this obviously true. Then again, that's why they choose a nebulous descriptor like 'greatest'. If they said 'important' or 'influential' it'd be harder to justify.

Also, still waiting for someone to justify this:

Nintendo’s magnificent Switch launch game changed how many saw open world experiences. Vast in size, deeply systemic, with a completely freeform approach to exploration, combat and puzzles. Few games match its scope for experimental play opportunities, and few give the player so much sense of authority over their own discoveries.

Took a standard Besthesda open world, stripped out 90% of the story, dialogue and character development options, limited exploration to overworld and shrines (no underwater, caves, sewer systems, towns, ruins, dungeons) and plugged in a bunch of traditional Zelda sandbox mechanics. I think it's a great game, but I'm still trying to figure out how it was revolutionary.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

So if you are applying for a job in the industry, forget most of the obscure or unhip games you actually like and just rattle off names from this list to make yourself look like a "good fit" for their boring culture.

Also, Portal 2 is a bad puzzle game, there are like hundreds which are obviously better choices, showing that these people don't care about gameplay at all. Only presentation and story.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
..and they obviously failed. Holy shit what a train wreck of a list. Urinalism at its worst. I'm sorry their favorite sanctioned "developers" got dragged into this mess.

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Well...it is a better list from this trash can named "250+ game developers, journalists, and media personalities" then it is could've been but still...

Perrott

Gold Member
GTA 3 at NUMBER 61 :|

Inarguably the most important game of the past 20 years.
Yet all its sequels are better. No reason at all to come back to it, even with the key role it played in establishing the pillars of modern open world design.

Top Bottom