• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia OT

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
large

Resident Evil 8 cloud demo surprised a lot of gamers in terms of latency but the dark image wasn't the best spot of cloud services.

Now, you can try colorful RPGs and open world with a simple link:

CHOOSE A DEMO and PLAY IN 1 CLICK

Results depends of the games: Valhalla runs at 60 FPS, DQ11 isn't a shiny port (quite blurry compared to Xbox)...
Enjoy, comment...

Note: Ubi games like Far Cry, Valhalla, require an Ubi account.(these fucking games demolish the click to play promise 😜)

Last edited:

Flabagast

LMAO just trying the demo you need to connect to Ubi Connect (or create an account) to try one of their turds.

I immediatly closed the window, it's a no for me dawg.

Fat Frog

LMAO just trying the demo you need to connect to Ubi Connect (or create an account) to try one of their turds.

I immediatly closed the window, it's a no for me dawg.
Well, yeah.This ubi account is a pain in the ass when i share my collection with my family... They play all games and sometimes they pass Ubi games for that reason.🤪

Fat Frog Fat Frog I admire your persistence, but I think it's clear that you won't have much luck promoting cloud gaming here. Honestly, you should try Era instead, they seem to be more open to it.

Myself I'm gonna try out Deliver Us The Moon here.

Fat Frog

Fat Frog Fat Frog I admire your persistence, but I think it's clear that you won't have much luck promoting cloud gaming here. Honestly, you should try Era instead, they seem to be more open to it.

Myself I'm gonna try out Deliver Us The Moon here.
Indeed, feedbacks on Era with a similar thread are more enthusiastic to say the least 🤑:
giphy.gif

Pretty cool feature

I just tried some DQ11, one of my favorite games. This is amazing! Playing on my phone and it's instantaneous. You just sign in with your Gmail and it starts playing.

That's dope gonna check some out down the line

I don't have a Stadia controller but it seems to be highly responsive. Magical technology!

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Thanks OP, will try to see how my connection holds up.

First time trying cloud gaming.
So, just played some Outriders. My connection was defined as "Excellent".

The image quality isn't that great. A lot of artifacts, muddy textures, stuttering. Overall very soft image.

Felt like playing a Youtube video, with all the same bad image quality.

I don't know if I'd play a game like this.

It feels like a severe downgrade from anything played locally. I would have to be pretty desperate to play something through cloud.

I guess it's OK if you want to try something real quick, but the experience is so bad that it would leave a bad impression for any game...

Yeah, this can't be the future. There would need to be a severe breakthrough in cloud tech and ISP networking for this to be equivalent to local gaming.

BigBooper

Not true that you don't have to sign up. I opened in a private window and it wouldn't play without my google account.

I tried Cities Skylines, seemed to work fine. I think the traffic may be reduced from the pc version. Definitely not as detailed. Interface buttons are huge.

Fat Frog

So, just played some Outriders. My connection was defined as "Excellent".
The image quality isn't that great.
Demos are from the low quality Stadia tier (4K requires a sub) and even if your connection is " excellent", the image will also depend of the quality of the port...

The 1080P is indeed inferior to 1080P on console ATM.
But all cloud services are evolving with new blades (GFN, Xcloud, PS Now), more data centers to reduce distance/latency or new codecs:

Codecs will improve image, reduce data consumption.

It's just the beginning ;)

Fat Frog

Not true that you don't have to sign up. I opened in a private window and it wouldn't play without my google account.
I guess they meant no specific Stadia account creation, no credit card infos...

Having a gmail account isn't such a pain in the ass...

jigglet

Banned
The title "26 click to play demo" made me think it was a thread complaining about how it required 26 clicks in order to play a demo.

It reminded me of buying new Streetpass content for my 3DS. I remember thinking it was obtuse as fuck, so I counted it one day. Sure enough, I think it was 31 or 33 clicks required in order to buy a single item. Fuck Nintendo was dense when it came to online. 30+ clicks is some absurd shit even for the worst possible UI designer. I'm pretty sure this didn't include entering my credit card info either, it was just the process of buying it.

acm2000

cloud gaming is great for casual playing, i play game pass cloud all the time just to smash through games on my nvidia shield, but i have no interest in having to buy the individual games just in the cloud.

Fat Frog

I think you mean fired
Ha ha ha, good one 😆.
To be honest, yup, Stadia is struggling in 2022 since Google doesn't spend money to get games from publishers anymore (up to 10 millions) and bet on the new Stadia port team whose goal is to reduce the development time from several months to a few hours. Could work or...not.

Nonetheless, if the new blades rumours are true, it changes almost everything: Stadia would have an expansion is south america (the place to be for cloud gaming) and it would confirm Google didn't abandon Stadia.A signal most fans are waiting for.
(In fact, they didn't since they did greenlit new jobs but they're still hesitating for sure...)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Google doesn't pay publishers anymore for games (2022 is a disaster) but the Stadia Engineers are working hard:

There are now almost 100 timed demos, classic demos, and F2P games. (90% of them has been released in June 2022)

I think the Stadia Low Effort Port Team will do wonders and convince mid size publishers like Sega, Koei, or Capcom to release more games on Stadia in 2024/2025. (i think it's dead for Take 2, EA...)

Fat Frog

I wanted google to offer this functionality to devs so you could click a link on their youtube trailer and start playing their demo . . . maybe they'll get there one day.
It will happen but probably after the enhancement of their low porting tool.
The pathetic launch damaged the brand: They could release the youtube integration now... Unfortunately, big publishers don't release their games on Stadia anymore... 😅
Google needs to finish their fast porting tool, present it to publishers again and convince them.

Do they plan to extend their services to new regions/countries? Or just stick with the current lot?

It's been a long time since they did, especially when the competition is rapidly expanding, be it MS or Sony.

Fat Frog

Do they plan to extend their services to new regions/countries? Or just stick with the current lot?

It's been a long time since they did, especially when the competition is rapidly expanding, be it MS or Sony.
Officially, yes.
Behind the curtain, they are currently testing Nvidia GPU with Stadia. Maybe they are waiting to have the best launch in South America (GFN and Xcloud were crowded), maybe they are waiting a switch to Nividia blades. Maybe Google considered AMD wouldn't be able to supply Stadia blades (PS5 and Series X being a priority), maybe NVIDIA made a great offer to Google ?
Maybe the CEO is waiting to see the results of the Stadia Port Team to decide additional launches...or not.

Top Bottom