• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

26 years later, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, is still Sony's best-selling western developed 1st/2nd party exclusive of all time in Japan.

Sony has been pushing their western first-party/2nd-party exclusives in Japan for awhile with ups and downs, and while it seems that some games have in the past done well, it does seem like there's something preventing Sony from getting these games become bigger in the region. When you step back and look at Sony published western developed IP in Japan, it puts things into perspective that the best selling of those is a game from 1997 back when SIE was still SCE.

Take a look at the top 10 best-selling Sony published first/2nd party console western developed exclusives in japan, From GDL.

1. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 1,099,708 (1997)
  2. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - 917,105 (1998)
  3. Crash Bandicoot - 694,104 (1996)
  4. Ratchet and Clank - 562,658 (2002)
  5. Ghost of Tsushima - 457,094 PS4 (Current PS5 - 19,309 ) (2020 & 2021)
  6. Knack - 400,888 (2014)
  7. Formula 1 - 379,402 (1996)
  8. Marvels Spider Man - 323,023 (2018)
  9. Crash Team Racing - 301,334 (1999)
  10. Horizon Zero Dawn - 290,487 (2017)

While there has been improvements the last 5 years due to heavy marketing strategies in some areas, with others nothing much has changed. I'm not entirely sure what Sony could do to make their first-party/2nd party western exclusives bigger in Japan like they are in the west, but when the best selling of them is a game from 1997, and the others in the top 3 are from 1996 and 1998, that does bring to question what exactly is going wrong. Because they have more marketing and presence these days, or rather, pretty much every console after the PSX has had more, so the fact they can't seem to get a western exclusive to break the glass ceiling here is very curious.

I mean if Ghost of Tsushima didn't work, and doesn't look like to have the legs required, than I'm at a loss for what Sony could try to be honest. I mean there are some games like Uncharted, or Horizon where you can spot the obvious reason why growth is limited, but with games like Knack, or Spider Man as Marvel is very popular in Japan, or Ghost, which basically catered to the culture, not really pushing through, it's really odd.

I do think Ghost will pass Ratchet and Clank on the list in the end at the very least. But outside certain obvious games, I'm not sure what they are doing wrong here, given how popular GTA, COD, and several other third-party western games are in Japan in comparison.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Beat the n sane trilogy version a couple weeks ago. That game fucking rocks. Tbh I think insomniac always had the better platformers but crash 2 is a fucking masterclass in fun, simple replayable level design. Crash 3 looks to be more of the same too

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Beat the n sane trilogy version a couple weeks ago. That game fucking rocks. Tbh I think insomniac always had the better platformers but crash 2 is a fucking masterclass in fun, simple replayable level design. Crash 3 looks to be more of the same too

3 gets really bogged down in gimmicks, almost half the non-boss levels are vehicle levels. Still a classic regardless, but 2 is a masterclass.

Robb

Gold Member
Cool, Crash 2 is definitely the best one!

Not all that surprised to see they haven’t had much luck in Japan, especially with recent releases, considering Nintendo is just steamrolling them over there.
MassiveGlossyAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif

3 gets really bogged down in gimmicks, almost half the non-boss levels are vehicle levels. Still a classic regardless, but 2 is a masterclass.

Well, this depends on whether you count Swiming as a vechicle, or the parts you ride the underwater ski as a vehicle, or riding the baby dinosaur. Then it's over half.

Half the secret warp room levels are vehicles to, one moto, one jetski, one plane and I think something else.

Just normal levels, I think it's 11 if the 25 levels, with the secret 5 levels, it's 15/30 levels, and that's not counting swimming or riding the under water ski, or rising the baby dinosaur half that one chase level so it seems to be half.

Way too many vehicle gimmicks. The Jetski levels with coco are also the longest in the game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Outside of those terrible underwater levels I like all the new sections, they add some much needed variety to the game. Plus the game has the most varied environments and overall is just more unique imo. My favorites are the tiger levels with coco, extremely exhilarating tests of your memorization and reaction time

I wish Activision would port the CTR remake to PC though, that game is amazing

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I had very good memories of Crash 2 and 3, but replaying them in the N.Sane trilogy made me swear like a Venetian sailor. One fucking ice level in Crash 2 almost broke me. The game could be cheap, all right. In retrospect, it’s interesting how Crash 1 turn into the best one with the changes made for the trilogy.

Outside of those terrible underwater levels I like all the new sections, they add some much needed variety to the game. Plus the game has the most varied environments and overall is just more unique imo. My favorites are the tiger levels with coco, extremely exhilarating tests of your memorization and reaction time

I wish Activision would port the CTR remake to PC though, that game is amazing

It was definitely more varied, although imo less focused.

I do find it interesting the first Ratchet is high on the list which is similar to Crash 2 with more focus, and then the more varied flashy entries are lower.

I had very good memories of Crash 2 and 3, but replaying them in the N.Sane trilogy made me swear like a Venetian sailor. One fucking ice level in Crash 2 almost broke me. The game could be cheap, all right. In retrospect, it’s interesting how Crash 1 turn into the best one with the changes made for the trilogy.

I don't like the N.Sane trilogy, it messes up with the gameplay too much, so any improvements, if any, to stage designs and layouts are pointless because they would be addressing complaints people had playing those stages in the original games, with the original jump heights, collisions and physics.

I also don't like the Skylander aesthetic, and Activision making crash more how to say, reeeupid every new Crash entry which is the opposite direction of where the earier games were going, the new trailer for Crash Team Rumble even turned off the die-hard fans, their reactions were pretty blunt.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
damn, lol
personally it did fuck me over a couple times but i couldn't get that mad not when the game was this fun
Those jetpack stages and the final 2d stages though.... those are just pure evil. I'm surprised I even got through those

Mr Hyde

Just played through the N Sane trilogy and the games kinda suck ass by todays standard. First off, Crash is just boring. He has zero charm, unlike Mario and Sonic, who are timeless mascots that will exist forever in video game zeitgeist. The levels in the games that are actually fun to play, are few and far between. Instead ND has filled the games with gimmicky levels where you run from boulders, fly airplanes, riding motorcycles and swimming underwater. And they are not even remotely fun. Boss fights are also terrible, especially in the first installment. I do agree the second one is the best of the bunch, but that's not saying much because the overall quality is still terrible.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Crash was for poor kids who couldn't afford Mario 64.

I was a poor kid but I could recognize quality or lack thereof from a young age.

Then you get done with Mario 64 and realise you have about 11 other games worth playing on the system.

Swings and roundabouts.

nial

Gold Member
I'm out of the loop, any idea what happened?

Also coming from a furry country anyone surprised about this stat?
From mods:
"You were warned about creating threads and altering titles or quotes to shape a certain type of engagement you're looking for. Last chance."
Edit: I just realized tommib tommib requested a ban. Shame, I liked the guy. :(

Last edited:
From mods:
"You were warned about creating threads and altering titles or quotes to shape a certain type of engagement you're looking for. Last chance."Edit: I just realized tommib tommib requested a ban. Shame, I liked the guy. :(

What thread quote did he alter though? It can't be this one, and the Jim Ryan one is from the article.

Also why did other guy request a ban? Couldn't he just log off?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It was a great game. Especially for its time, the graphics were stunning in comparison to a lot of other titles on the system.

That's from December 7th looking at the top of the post.

Did he make the "Nintendo lolz" update?

I'm not sure if the mods would do something like that. Someone posted the sales update and then the thread title was changed to that.

Seems the only thread title that seems offensive to me.

I'm not sure if the mods would do something like that. Someone posted the sales update and then the thread title was changed to that.

Seems the only thread title that seems offensive to me.

Dec 7th was a month ago, so I doubt it's that one now that I think about it.

Last edited:

squarealex

N'sane trilogy sucks.
Gameplay is not like the original and Art Direction sucks.

I mean, Crash original Trilogy is more "cartoonish old school" than the N'sane trilogy imitate shitty pixar.
Then, for some levels, they based on the original NTSC version when the PAL version is the definitive...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hopefully, with Microsoft's pocket change we will get a Crash Bandicoot and Spyro reboot.
we already got a crash reboot, and it's an alive franchise now luckily. Whether Spyro will get one though is a question, i hope so because it was always the better platforming franchise imo

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The N64 launched at the same price as the PS1 and Saturn.

There never was that big of a price difference between the 2, some N64 were marked higher than PS1 games but I don’t think Mario 64 was one of them.

My parents got me the single player game console? I always thought it was because of price but they really never knew who Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes was...

PeEm.gif

Neff

Crash was for poor kids who couldn't afford Mario 64.

I'm deeply glad I was a working adult at the time and didn't have to choose between N64 and PlayStation.

And yeah I always saw Crash as one of the more successful western attempts at a mascot platformer, but little more than that. My time with the game(s) left me unimpressed.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
First off, Crash is just boring. He has zero charm, unlike Mario and Sonic, who are timeless mascots that will exist forever in video game zeitgeist.
Crash is a wacky, insane weirdo bandicoot who's incredibly dumb and gets himself into shenanigans all the time. I don't see how he has 0 charm, he's hilarious! You clearly haven't seen the death animations. Just because Mario and Sonic are more iconic doesn't mean that Crash isn't good by his own merits
Instead ND has filled the games with gimmicky levels where you run from boulders, fly airplanes, riding motorcycles and swimming underwater
only in 3. this is all subjective but IMO all of those besides the underwater segments are good. They add variety to the game and the boulder segments especially are really exhilarating when you're trying to break all the boxes. Why the fuck don't you want variety in your platformers, that's the spice that keeps them unique

Your right I missed the edit date. But it kind of shows the reasoning behind the ban. He does that with other threads that he made.

Dec 7th was the original post date.

Looking around some other threads it looks like members can't edit thread titles because I've seen users call for mods to change titles.

So that "lolz Nintendo" title change you mentioned would have had to been made by the mods, not Eddie.

This was for a thread from a month ago too so like I said I don't think that was it, but none of his latest threads look like they apply either. So I don't know.

Top Bottom