• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D games with an artstyle you really enjoy (600 baud warning)

oni-link

Basically this thread is an excuse to post screenshots and gifs from 2D games with an art style you really enjoy

I'll start:

Rayman Origins
531f1a90f6027db096f4a773da2e02d2.jpg

Shovel Knight

Suikoden 2

A Link to the Past

Fez

What are your favourites, and what is it you like about them?

Anything goes, new games, old games, indie games, games not yet out. Just post some examples of 2D games with awesome art styles

Edit: I think a mod changed the title, It was meant to say 56k warning. I don't know what 600 baud means

Eblo

Kathy Rain

I usually don't care for games that go for oversized pixels to net that retro feel, but this game pulls it off so naturally. Really made me feel like I was playing a classic point-and-click.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Breath of Fire 4. I love the art and music in this game. It's shame there aren't many games like this in hd anymore.
Well it's in a 3d environment, but it has has sprites, does this count?

tumblr_ogtc0s1B1F1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Bahorel

I honestly wish I could forget about Rayman so I could play origins and legends fresh all over again. They're such beautiful games, I love them.

boromi

Neo Member
Yoshi's Island still looks gorgeous.

Contrast to New Island.

Basically, contrast to every other Yoshi platformer, excluding Wooly World. Even the DS one was weak at imitating the artstyle of the original imo.

Golden Sun / GS: The Lost Age
5226.jpg

Besides combat, both original Golden Sun and The Lost Age still look great.I just really like how they did colors and shading. Let's forget about Dark Dawn.

Night in the Woods
3201592-481510_screenshots_20130210225358_1.jpg

It's really good with the use of colors and space. Extremely consistent style as well

dlauv

This one's pretty good.

I also like SvC Chaos. It doesn't get a lot of attention because it was kind of a quick licensing fulfillment. I liked seeing the Capcom characters get the SNK sprite treatment, even if the color usage was a bit dour.

ldar247

Banned
Megaman Battle Network

64-SchoolIsABlast181.png

I really love the dithered anime look a lot of old PC-98 games have:

Possessioner

c4kYV6I.gif

Policenauts

policenauts-pc21.png

Policenauts02.png

Syril

large.jpg

I like the look of Megaman ZX. Everything reads really well for gameplay purposes and it does a good job representing Toru Nakayama's artwork.

AdanVC

Dis is my jam.

2D Graphics >>> 3D Graphics in videogames IMHO.

Metal Slug series and pretty much all Neo Geo games are my fave because how well animated they look.

lmbotiva

Guys please, don't create threads like these, my wallet can only take so much lol, everything here looks so beautiful

Despite the game's lewdness that turned many people off, Dragon's Crown has a fantastic old school fantasy art style, with wonderful animation that really shines in its enemy design and backgrounds.

1369298524-1.jpg

Dragons-Crown-Screenshots-45.jpg

dragons-crown-screenshots-41.png

dragons-crown-screenshots-35.png

Dragons-Crown-Screenshots.png

tumblr_lxq6endM4T1qmqsj7o1_1280.jpg

dragonscrown10.gif

WillAble

Neo Member
Legend of Mana (PlayStation)

vF6rXgC.png

m4tjRMr.jpg

0M5cuk0.png

It seemed like every developer in 1999 was focusing on how to best utilize the newest 3D technology, so it was refreshing to see such nice looking pixel art. The amount of detail in every section of the game is impressive.

zHFkjA1.png

The storybook-esque town maps were a nice touch as well.

MikeyB

It has to be Muramasa. It is one of the few games that I think is beautiful.
ik3znpycpfli6.gif

I think that the painting style gives each place a greater sense of place than 3D games have yet. Each area hangs together well to generate a mood (at least for me).

Edit: I forgot about Shank. It is also really well done.

13ruce

Banned
The Shantae games look amazing.
Wario Land Shake it also look pretty freaking nice.

Edit: the 2d GBA metroid games and most if not all Castlevania games look very damn good.

Some great suggestions so far.

Odin Sphere
Odin-Sphere-Leifthrasir_20160526120337.png

Tumbleseed
tumbleseed%20screen%201.png

Spelunky
ss_8fb56a4fb17d6c777c12952d6642652b063b5528.600x338.jpg

VA-11 HALL-A
Screen-Shot-2016-06-10-at-2.10.04-PM.png

Kalimba

Steins;Gate
CG3YJfuUIAAZ4DU.jpg

Flowers
ev001a.jpg

Nidhogg
2431316-ss_3c3598c94dd14500a757358ba53267371c82b859.1920x1080.jpg

Splasher
Splasher-2016-12-04-19-54-12-60.jpg

Nom Nom Galaxy
nom_nom_galaxy-3.jpg

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Op you made the thread i wanted to open :) even if may idea was more about original artstyles.

Anyway:
Bloodrayne betrayal
bloodrayne_2017_03_12_23_00_30_56.jpg

too bad i'm not able to pass this section(the giant saw follows you)
bloodrayne_2017-04-02_22-47-39-484.png

I didn't play it but i would say dakest dungeon too
darkest-dungeon_PC-781.jpg

Also almost everything on the amiga because many of its games had a dinstictive artstyle(not really representative but whatever)
AMIGA+01.png

and pc 98 games too, but i never had a pc98.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Copping my post from another thread. I think it fits.

I always loved the style of the sprites and backgrounds, but especially the animations, in the PSX and GBA Mega Man games.

zero_triple_slash_on_x4_and_x5_by_just_spectator.gif

giphy.gif

Some of my favorite backgrounds:

003.png

361.png

X6-2.gif

a222.png

206.png

mmx4_stageselect_bkgd.png

I always felt like they had that slightly gritty, but not dystopian, future look down. Even out in the wilderness, there's always little signs of technology, whether it's mechanical vines in the background or the robots wandering around each stage. The city stages were always my favorites, though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Anything Bitmap Brothers, frankly.

7HZRQsd.png

Wozman23

Apotheon

Bulb Boy

FLY'N

forma.8

Hohokum

Hue

ibb & obb

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Narita Boy (upcoming)