• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Edit (5/7/2009): new screens

Endless said:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20100413006968&newsLang=en

K Games Announces XCOM® - Suspense and Mystery-Filled First-Person Shooter from Creators of BioShock® 2

Award-winning developers set their sights on re-imagining the suspense, tension and fear of one of gaming’s most beloved franchises only on Xbox 360 and Windows PC

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today that XCOM®, the re-imagining of one of gaming’s most storied and beloved franchises, is currently in development at 2K Marin, the studio behind the multi-million unit selling BioShock® 2. Currently in development exclusively for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC, XCOM combines the strategic core of the groundbreaking franchise with a suspense-filled narrative and distills it into a tense and unique first-person shooter experience.

“With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience firsthand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride.”

XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity’s struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity – and frailty – against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

XCOM is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on XCOM please visit www.XCOM.com.

120tdn6.jpg
[/IMG]

Larger pic: http://twitpic.com/1fgn7a/full

Akia

I literally was about to press "Post New Thread" on a new X-Com thread but decided to refresh the front page one more time just in case lol.

Best thing about this announcement is that Irrational must be doing something new for sure now.

methane47

OHWHHWHAHSHAHSDAHSASHDASLASDASD ASD SDASDASDAS

Edit: A LITTERAL TEAR JUST CAME TO MY EYE !!!
EDIT: NO PS3 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU.Jpg!!
EDDIT: WTF A FPS?!!

DiscoJer

Well, I was excited until I read

distills it into a tense and unique first-person shooter experience

It still might be decent, I've always wanted a FPS based on X-com. But as a spinoff. And with you a soldier going on a mission, not an FBI Agent (Did they confuse it with the X-Files?)

Also, the cool part about the original X-com, was it was largely based on "real" UFO lore. If that screenshot is anything to go by, this is based on generic science fiction shooter lore.

Firestorm

I never actually played the old games but if they can pull off moments like the two major "holy crap" moments in BioShock 2, I'm interested.

Hopefully it's not on Unreal 2.5 again =\ BS2 showed its age.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ken Levine is still swimming in pools of Bioshock 1 money I guess.

I just hope this doesn't become a generic shooter, but I can't see Marin making a tactics game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From the makers of BioShock huh? I really didnt like the gunplay in either BioShock so hopefully it will be much better here.

androvsky

Wario64 said:
“With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience firsthand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride.”

Yeah, I know they mean new for the series, but it's not like we're running low on mildly futuristic FPS games.

fake edit: oh wait, it's not even new for the series, is it? Or did Alliance not actually come out?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EmCeeGramr said:
FUCK THIS SHIT PLANET, NUKE IT TO HELL, WE DON'T FUCKING DESERVE IT ANYMORE
Well, superannuation, who originally put up a resume with this game, posted on their Twitter that Firaxis might be doing a turn based version also.

That said, he didn't have a resume for that one: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6238162.html

mujun said:
This must be the game hinted at in the British mag.

This isn't the secret Ken Levine game is it?
No this is 2K Marin. Ken Levine's game is also a shooter, but it's a new IP.

tokkun

What is the purpose of using a license that only appeals to old people and a game style that only appeals to young people?

mujun

Maybe it will be like Archon where you take turns doing stuff ala the original X-COM then actually resolve actions in a FPS style game. I'd like to see someone try that. How effective you are on a strategic level affects your resources at the action level and each time you jump into the action level you can control any of the participating units from first person.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Next up: Homeworld reboot as a JRPG.

Decado

duckroll said:
X-com FPS? Pass.
Ditto. I don't mind FPSs, but couldn't they have used another franchise? What's the point of this? Hardly anyone who still cares for X-Com will want to see a FPS made from it.

Also, can Martin make a great game without another studio drawing up the blueprints first?

Cohsae

FPS? God dammit.
2K Marin is a fine studio, and this could be a fine game, but I don't want to play a game called X-COM, I want to play X-COM.
Seems such an odd property to base an FPS on, a series known for turn-based strategy.

So this means we still don't know what Irrational/Ken Levine are up to right? Here's hoping they have something this E3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WTF is going on in that screenshot?

I kinda don't get it. Is the X-COM name really worth anything nowadays for the FPS loving console crowd?

Mindlog

I'll still keep an eye on this :[

"The game, in development for the 360 and PC, makes substantial changes to the original series, combining research and planning elements not with overhead, turn-based strategy sections, but with first-person shooter action."

Pass the Bourbon.

Amazing news!

Just gimme, an autocannons, medium lasers, jetpack, autopsies, world map, research, squads, engineering, space ships and away teams then we are good. That and a pony.

Top Bottom